PDA

View Full Version : HM "Ring" Gone

PirateLover
12-15-2006, 06:22 PM
My cousin is at WDW right now and just called me because he was trying to locate the "ring" in the cement outside of the Haunted Mansion. As I was trying to talk him through it, he asked a CM. The CM told him that, unfortunately, it was cemented over only a few days ago. :(

mmouse566
12-15-2006, 09:27 PM
Thats a shame. DD and I always enjoyed pointing it out after the ride.

Bringonthemouse!
12-15-2006, 09:37 PM
I'm very disappointed ...my DD and I had plans to check it out on our next visit. :(

JPL
12-15-2006, 09:50 PM
Hmmm that's odd we just saw it last Sunday :confused:

BJTM
12-15-2006, 10:37 PM
We could not find this in November. Where is it?

Piglet822
12-16-2006, 12:43 AM

I was just going to say the same thing. It was a little difficult to find but it was there.

PirateLover
12-16-2006, 02:12 AM
Yes, apparently, according to this individual it was a very very recent occurance... like he JUST missed it. I would hope that the CM is wrong, but I did a little research and people seem to be discussing it on other boards as well. The only way we will know for sure is for someone who knows where it is/was to go find it and confirm or deny this report.

alpro2
12-16-2006, 08:34 AM
....The only way we will know for sure is for someone who knows where it is/was to go find it and confirm or deny this report.
OK...I volunteer! Please send the tickets to me at ....:D

DizneyRox
12-16-2006, 09:34 AM
I have heard several times it's not really a ring, but a coincidence. One of those urban legends and I would imagine Disney just let it propogate. It may have finally been time to fix the walkway.

I'm not sure though, it did look pretty "authentic"...

JPL
12-16-2006, 09:50 AM
It was actually the part of post that was cut or broke off at some point. And it happens to be in the shape of a ring complete with and area that looks like a diamond setting. What seems to strange to me is this has been there so long and I can't imagine them fixing a walkway that looked to be in good sahpe during the Holiday time when HM is dues for a rehab soon.

DDuck66
12-21-2006, 09:30 AM
I plan on looking for it on Monday when I am there. Hopefully I will be able to report back that it is still there.
:hmghost: :hmghost:

MGKpotc8283
12-21-2006, 10:42 AM
I finally saw this for the first time this past summer. It seemed kind of small to be an adult woman's ring.

dumbo ears
12-21-2006, 02:14 PM
i never knew about it. what was is? like a ring sticking out of the ground or what?

Figment!
12-21-2006, 02:18 PM
i never knew about it. what was is? like a ring sticking out of the ground or what?From Hidden Treasures & Surprises (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/park/hiddentreasures.asp)
Gracey’s Grounds
The exit walkway of the Haunted Mansion ends with two large brick columns; imbedded here in the cement is what appears to be a wedding ring (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/park/images/hm_ring.jpg). According to Haunted Mansion lore, Master Gracey’s distraught bride-to-be threw her wedding ring out one of the Mansion’s upper story windows and it landed embedding itself in the ground outside. Also as you exit, you will find an often overlooked Pet Cemetery to your left. In this plot many of the Gracey families' pets have found their final resting place. Finding these occult artifacts is sure to be a treat for ghostly loving guests.

WDWFREAK101
12-21-2006, 04:11 PM

I was there last monday, tuesday and wednesday. I looked for it also. It was gone. How can that be?

brad192
12-21-2006, 04:59 PM
Well, after all, it IS the Haunted Mansion....;)

murphy1
12-21-2006, 06:00 PM
Main Street Jim could look. I won't be there until after New Year's, but I have it on my list to look for.

DVCWDWMEMBER
12-21-2006, 06:12 PM
We were just at WDW over Thanksgiving and the ring was there. My DD is going again the first week of February and will have to take a look to see if it is really gone.

A Big Kid
12-22-2006, 10:49 AM
It is not a ring so much as a figmentation of someone's imagination. :confused:

Here we go again...
12-22-2006, 11:04 PM
We saw the ring for the first time in November. I was told that it was a part of a post when I commented on how small it was.

I was disappointed when we saw what they did to the umbrella from Singin' in the rain (http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2959243010072278366OhHBBJ) .
What a shame that some of the Hidden Treasures are going away.

Jeremy Wilcox
12-23-2006, 12:27 AM
The umbrella actually comes and goes quite a bit... I wouldn't be surprised to see it come back one day.

PirateLover
12-23-2006, 03:01 AM
The umbrella actually comes and goes quite a bit... I wouldn't be surprised to see it come back one day.
Do you really think so Jeremy? How long is it usually gone for? Based on things I've been reading it seems like it's been gone for a good few months now. I really hope they put it back because I was looking forward to it on my next trip. We never spotted it before.

McGoofy
12-24-2006, 02:59 PM
As many times as we have been to WDW, we had never heard that legend before. Then on our way down to WDW for this past Halloween, we were listening to a podcast that was doing a Disney Halloween tribute. In this tribute, they told about the legend of the ring. So, when we rode HM, we happened to strike up a conversation with the guy in line behind us. Turns out, he was an off duty CM. On the way out, he showed us the spot where the alleged ring is. We saw it in October, so that may have been our first and last time to see it. I've walked by that spot so many times and never even knew to look for it! :mickey:

GhostHost999
12-30-2006, 02:42 PM
"They tooks the precious!! I told you they was tricksey!"

Sorry, I had to. :thedolls:

DestinationWDW
12-30-2006, 03:57 PM
We were just there the 15th thru the 24th....alas...we looked too and it is gone!!!! :( Asked a CM....got the same "it has been cemented over story.......

A Foolish Mortal
12-30-2006, 07:31 PM
I'll look. I'll be at MK on Monday, so I'll look then. I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (PS- I'm probably gonna forget by then, so, don't expect it out of me)

Altair
12-31-2006, 08:10 AM
I guess Imagineering felt threatened that a small, accidental, and random act by a park maintenance CM could possibly spark more imagination than and entire attaction such as Stitch's Great Escape which cost who knows how much more.
:drama:

DigitalDaredevil
01-01-2007, 08:35 PM
I hope it is not true. I love the little back stories, park generated or fan generated. It makes the ride more interesting, and showing those who don't know about them is a joy in itself.

DisneyGiant
01-01-2007, 09:49 PM
I have heard several times it's not really a ring, but a coincidence. One of those urban legends and I would imagine Disney just let it propogate. It may have finally been time to fix the walkway.

I'm not sure though, it did look pretty "authentic"...

I was told this by CM's at the HM. They said its not even a ring - but some sort of construction.

Stu29573
01-02-2007, 11:23 AM
I never really thought it looked that much like a ring...it looked a lot more like a pipe and a broken screwdriver to me. It would be cool if Disney put in a REAL ring to replace it though.....

Altair
01-23-2007, 10:55 AM
I can confirm that the "ring" is now gone. They only cemented over the two old post holes nothing else. So this "ring" thing must have really bothered someone.

DizneyRox
01-23-2007, 03:16 PM
I can confirm that the "ring" is now gone. They only cemented over the two old post holes nothing else. So this "ring" thing must have really bothered someone.
Yes, if something is not part of the original concept, or "Imagineering Approved" it really is fair game.

The Hidden Mickey on the banquet table is a good example. I hear it's not suposed to be there, so it's not uncommon for an Imagineer to "fix" the table settings to remove the hidden Mickey, only to have it magically appear at some point.

Figment!
01-23-2007, 03:49 PM
I can confirm that the "ring" is now gone. They only cemented over the two old post holes nothing else. So this "ring" thing must have really bothered someone.Thanks for the confirmation, we'll update the Hidden Treasures Guide soon with an Archive section to list items that are no longer available.

GenieOfPA
01-23-2007, 03:49 PM
wow... can't believe its gone... good thing i got to see it while it was around. but i guess my next trip in may will have to be without it

Sharon1026
03-24-2007, 10:12 PM
I was there today and saw the ring.

:stitch2:

RescueRanger23
03-24-2007, 11:27 PM
That's awful. Too bad.

bradk
03-24-2007, 11:53 PM
the ring was a piece of pipe. if anything, it looked like an engagement ring.. for the branch of a twig.

this is a photo (http://bradk.smugmug.com/photos/41823246-L-1) i took of it a couple of years ago:

but you can't really see just how tiny it is. i also took this shot (http://bradk.smugmug.com/photos/41825727-L-1.jpg) as a guide to help locate it, so it puts it into more perspective

in any case, it was presumably kept because it became such an integral part of unofficial HM lore but gone because the word is that during the huge HM renovation, the HM will retroactively get the official backstory as they did with Disneyland's HM revolving around the serial killer bride as opposed to some intricate love triangle.

FormerCastMember
03-25-2007, 04:15 AM
this must have been done quite recently because after reading numerous posts before heading down in the beginning of march we had thought it to be gone too, but much to our surprise we were able to find it right exactly where its supposed to be...its a shame because its one of the few treasures left at the HM location...now if they get rid of Mr. Toad I will be very disappointed, but i dont see that happening

Maleficent's Dad
03-25-2007, 07:20 AM
this must have been done quite recently because after reading numerous posts before heading down in the beginning of march we had thought it to be gone too, but much to our surprise we were able to find it right exactly where its supposed to be...
I agree!!! I forgot to post this weeks ago as I forgot all about this topic - which is not accurate, apparently!
We were there in late February and the ring was there - exactly where we've always seen it! :mickey: DD and DS always locate it - they found it immediately upon exiting the ride.
Mr. Toad's headstone/monument was still there as well...:cry:

Altair
03-25-2007, 07:49 AM
I wonder if Disney people removed the cement or if enterprising quests did it? It wouldn't take much to remove the little patch of concrete. There is no doubt is was covered in January.:mickey:

It could have been done by ghosts.

Sharon1026
03-25-2007, 08:41 AM
I wonder if Disney people removed the cement or if enterprising quests did it? It wouldn't take much to remove the little patch of concrete. There is no doubt is was covered in January.:mickey:

It could have been done by ghosts.

I asked the CM who was outside if the ring was there and she said yes. She was going to take me over to it, but she wasn't allowed to leave her post, as she was helping to direct disabled people to the alternate line. I just walked over to where it was supposed to be and there it was! So my point is that the CM's knew about it and were more than happy to talk about it.

Altair
03-25-2007, 11:57 AM
So my point is that the CM's knew about it and were more than happy to talk about it.

I'm not denying the ring may be there again. I'm saying someone removed the concrete patch that was covering it in January. It may have come off by accident or on purpose.:mickey:

Figment!
03-25-2007, 12:04 PM
From Tidbits February 2007 (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=95610)
A Ring Re-risen

2/13/07 Like a scene out the attraction itself, the famed "Haunted Mansion Wedding Ring" has seemingly risen from the pavement. Recent Guest reports have citied that the ring has "returned" after a multi-week "disappearance". Word among Haunted Mansion Cast Members indicate that maintenance recently uncovered the "ring" due to its significant (albeit unofficial) tie to the attraction's lore.
:)