PDA

View Full Version : Somos muy tristes. El Rio del Tiempo Rehab

OogieBoogieMan
12-11-2006, 09:28 PM
My Spanish is rusty, but I believe I said "We are very sad". As pathetic as it may seem, we are huge Mexican boat ride fans, it is my son's favorite, and we just learned it will be closed for four months. I want a discount on admission. They might as well close Epcot, who will want to visit?

OK, perhaps a bit over the top, but it is our favorite and it is shutting down just 3 days before we arrive, January 2nd. I also heard some rumors they might mess with it from a show standpoint, adding something from The Three Caballeros, the Disney movie from the 40's. Go ahead, clean it up, get new boats and fix the broken parasailing movie, which hasn't worked in about 2 years, just don't mess with the rest of the ride. I don't want to go for a ride on The Many Adventures of the Three Caballeros, Three Caballeros River Ranger Spin or The Three Caballeros Great Escape. Please, powers that be, exercise some judgement and don't let merchandising rule the day. (Can't you just see The Three Caballeros gift shop on the way out of the ride!). El Rio del Tiempo is fine as it is, so just clean it up, fix the movie and finish the rehab early.

Donald A
12-11-2006, 09:38 PM
I agree

Figment!
12-11-2006, 10:03 PM
The only thing confirmed for the rehab is some mechanical work in the load/unload area.

Any other changes are still rumoured at this point.

You can find on-going discussions on both these topics in Tidbits 11-25-06 (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=90585) and Adios Rio De Tiempo, Hola Three Caballeros? (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=89760) respectively.

amd780
12-11-2006, 10:04 PM
I'm sad that the ride will be down while we're there, too. It's one of my favorites in Epcot! :(

Jared
12-11-2006, 11:26 PM
We're missing the ride during our trip as well. The vacation will definitely be a little dampened without this attraction, Splash Mountain and Rock "n" Roller Coaster.

pugslave
12-12-2006, 10:16 AM
This is our family's traditional "first ride at Epcot" and my 7yo dd favorite ride! PLEASE just fix it up, but don't change it!!

wonderalice23
12-12-2006, 11:29 AM
I believe it would be "estamos muy tristes" (unless you will be sad forever about this, which is possible) :) I am also quite disappointed that this will be shut down when I am there.....sigh..
sorry about the correction...in college and taking spanish! :sombrero:

ArielnBelle
12-12-2006, 11:43 AM
WOW! I thought it was just me! I LOVE that place! The food is excellent too. WHen I lived in Ocala I had APs and we would drive to Disney for Dinner and eat there! Only if they update the ride like they did Pirates or Small world would I be happy. I'm sad about Leagues under the seat too. I liked that ride.
Last time I was at WDW, they were updating Ariel's grotto. My daughter (The "Ariel" in Ariel n Belle) was DEVESTATED!!! Can't they fix those things overnight?? They put up all those decorations fast!

DNS
12-12-2006, 02:55 PM
I tend to be very sentimental over rides that gave me a huge smile the first time we went in 1994 and this is one of them. :mickey:

jason976
12-12-2006, 03:31 PM
We're missing the ride during our trip as well. The vacation will definitely be a little dampened without this attraction, Splash Mountain and Rock "n" Roller Coaster.

Splash Mountain and Rock 'n' Roller Coaster? Are these rides going down? When and for how long?

Figment!
12-12-2006, 04:03 PM
Splash Mountain and Rock 'n' Roller Coaster? Are these rides going down? When and for how long?See the rehabs (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/calendar/refurb.asp) section of INTERCOT info Central.

darthmacho
12-12-2006, 04:29 PM
I'm bummed too. I love the fireworks scene, the song, and the narrator's voice. I hope they don't change that much. Also, did anyone stop to think that it just won't be the same eating at the restaurant with no boats going by for three to four months? :sombrero: :marg:

kimommy63
12-12-2006, 05:11 PM
You know, with the ride closed I'm thinking of changing our ressies to a different restaurant. I don't know, the atmosphere won't be the same without the ride. What do you think? :(

BhamWriter
12-12-2006, 05:38 PM
I wish they would at least update the videos. I admit it makes me feel like a teenager again because I WAS a teenager (probably a YOUNG teen) when those videos were shot. I'm 49 now and the videos have aged about as well as I have.

Roo Girl
12-13-2006, 09:42 AM
This is one of my favorites and I know we Disney-philes get very attached to classic rides, but please don't mess with this one! There is no reason!! Every ride doesn't have to be tied in to a Disney movie!!! There is a wonderful simplicity in this ride on a hot day or a packed park day- just to glide through and be transported. I love this ride just the way it is, please just do routine maintenance and that's it!!

4ubie1
12-13-2006, 03:21 PM
I really hope that all they do to this ride is fix it up. I love just floating along through different rooms getting a taste of the mexican culture. Granted it is Disney's version of Mexican culture..but it is still fun. And i hate to admit it but i kindof like the old movies. They remind me of vintage Disney movies for some reason :blush: BUT i would be in the boat(pun intended) that wishes for this attraction to remain in place..maybe just fixed up alil. :D

Mary M
12-14-2006, 09:57 AM
I wish they would at least update the videos. I admit it makes me feel like a teenager again because I WAS a teenager (probably a YOUNG teen) when those videos were shot. I'm 49 now and the videos have aged about as well as I have.

It is kind of strange to see the people in the bar in Acapulco looking like Charlie's Angels.

I just hope they don't get rid of the rear-projected screen on the ground with the diver in it. I love that one.

FamilyBand1
12-14-2006, 10:57 AM
I LOVE the fact that I'm watching an episode of the Love Boat!!! My wife, and now my kids (4 & 2) love that ride. I hope they won't mess with it too much, although it could use a good cleaning. I saw 2 shoes in the bushes. :)
We all know we are doomed for another "character assassination" for this ride...just like the other rides.
Living Seas...with Nemo.
Tiki Room...with Iago & Zazu
Pirates...with Jack Sparrow (good, but not 60 minutes good)
20,000 Leagues took a dirt nap under Pooh
El Rio...with Three Caballeros
Tomorrowland Speedway...with Lightning Mcqueen
Jungle Cruise...with Tarzan
Thunder Mountain....with Buck & Maggie from Home on the Range
Space Mountain...with Buzz
...you see where we're headed.

Sorry. Just an Old-Schooler ranting about the updates.

Mrs. Jumbo
12-16-2006, 10:25 AM
It is kind of strange to see the people in the bar in Acapulco looking like Charlie's Angels.

That's just too funny!! :funny: It's true!

Tomorrowland Speedway...with Lightning Mcqueen
Actually, I kind of like this idea!

The other night we had dinner there, and decided to ride the boat afterward. I'm always surprised at the lack of riders on this, but then again, I shouldn't be, because in my mind it's always kind of boring...that is, when I'm thinking about whether it's worth going inside to ride. But then every time I ride it, I really love it! There's a lot of detail and it's so relaxing. I don't know why I have that perpetual idea that it's a boring ride...it really isn't!

amd780
12-16-2006, 04:00 PM
This is one of my favorites and I know we Disney-philes get very attached to classic rides, but please don't mess with this one! There is no reason!! Every ride doesn't have to be tied in to a Disney movie!!! :exactly:

Friend of Figment
12-17-2006, 07:17 PM
I guess I'm different than the rest of you, but I hope they do something to fix this ride. Mexico is a fabulous country and the ride is so disjointed and dated. I especially hate the weird vendors at the end. Hopefully the new ride will better reflect the real Mexico.

goofy for pluto
12-17-2006, 08:02 PM
We Love this ride!! :cool:
Clean it up, but do not change it. We love the nostalgic feel of the ride and look forward to riding every trip! :thumbsup:

ravsluvdisney
12-19-2006, 11:03 AM
Those videos are seriously dated - I think they were old when the ride first opened! They should update and clean it up a bit, but it's one of those attractions where the simplicity of it makes it worth the trip. It's purpose as an Epcot attraction is to tell a general history of the Mexican people and culture, not to sell chachki's at ride's end.

mm59
12-19-2006, 02:20 PM
We can only hope the ride updates not changes.

OogieBoogieMan
04-07-2007, 09:43 PM
I thought I would push this thread back up because it seems appropriate given they sold out El Rio de Tiempo as I feared five months ago. Quoting from Spaceballs, "merchandising, it is the power of the schwartz".

grego77
04-08-2007, 09:38 AM
I am REALLY going to miss El Rio De Tiempo...I went so far as to make that song my RINGTONE after the first time I went on it!!! :number1:

I hope the new one is going to be good...it would be even better if it had a catchy song!:D

Victor Kelly
04-08-2007, 04:17 PM
I guess it was only a matter of time before they changed it. But why not keep some of the aspects, like the song, in the ride?

I mean afterall, it is not about Disney, it is about Mexico.

Carol
04-09-2007, 08:37 AM
I'm going to close this since it is an old topic and there is already an active discussion underway in reference to the Mexico pavilion.

Thanks.