PDA

View Full Version : Anyone buy a GPS for their car?

2Epcot
11-27-2006, 01:09 AM
I'm thinking about getting a GPS naviagation for my fiancee's car, and probably one for mine too, when she drives my vehicle. LA is a tough place to drive, even when you know your way around. Any reccomendations for GPS systems, what you bought, and how well it works in your car.

PirateLover
11-27-2006, 01:24 AM
My boyfriends brother has a high end Garmin model that costs about $1200. He lets us borrow it sometimes and we've only had one issue with it when it told us to take an exit that was under construction. However, the second you go off track it "recalculates" your directions in order to get you exactly where you need to go!! The only other downside is the voice isn't very loud, so if you know your turn is coming up you should lower your radio.

I would suggest browsing around on Amazon.. I had toyed with getting my parents a cheaper model a few months ago, and they had some at very reasonable prices along with some in depth reader reviews. :thumbsup:

DDBird
11-27-2006, 05:55 AM
We dont live in the States so we purchased a Garmin Street Pilot for our vacations. It cost around $500 on Amazon. We LOVE it. The model we have comes with XM Radio and is clear and loud. This is the third model we have had a so far the best. With how fast road construction projects are started in the states, any system will from time to time tell you to take a turn or exit that no longer exist, but this was not an issue for us as we are able to update our Garmin before we travel.
I have no hesitation in recommending this model.

2MuchWDFun
11-27-2006, 09:35 AM
I purchased a Tom Tom Go when I moved from Southern California to a small town in Pennsylvania. I sell real estate so it was really a neccessity.
The touch screen is easy to use. Be sure to download updated maps periodically so you have the most current info. They are easy to take on vacation, just download the maps from that area and you are good to go. We've used it to find restaurants and gas stations.

I would definitely buy another one. They have really come down in price since I bought mine 2 years ago. You can buy a good one for under $400 now. With the memory card being so cheap you can hold a ton of map info. If you want to add other features such as blue tooth, xm radio etc. they will add to the price.

Good luck.

c&d
11-27-2006, 11:16 AM
We have a Garmin system. It cost about $800, we love it. We used it coming back from MD this past weekend and it was great on detouring us out of traffic.

alpro2
11-28-2006, 07:08 PM
I have a Magellan 760 in my work car. We have a built in navigation in our family car. I like the Magellan better.

2Epcot
11-29-2006, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the advice. I've heard good things about both the Garmin and the Magellan. My fiancé also needs a new car, so we may end up just getting one with a built in navigation system. I will probably still end up buying a portable one for my car, either way. As I've been looking it is hard to sort out all the different models.

KathyMO
11-29-2006, 04:34 PM
DH has a Garmin Nuvi 660. It is a great GPS but is also has a traffic receiver to warn and re-route you from traffic problems. It connects to his cell phone via BlueTooth and works like a speaker phone. It also is a MP3 player. It cost about $750 at most online dealers. There are several good online dealers that sell them for $735 -$750.

Kathy

SteveL
11-29-2006, 06:29 PM
DD's idea of GPS is to continually call me on her cell phone when she's lost or needs directions.

2Epcot
03-22-2007, 05:33 PM
I ended up getting the Magellean RoadMade 6000T. It is listed on Amazon for about $500 dollars, but I purchased it with my Amex reward points. I've only had it a couple of weeks, but so far I'm very happy with it's performance.

This unit also has a built in bluetooth, so it can be used as a hands free device for my cell phone. The unit also gets live traffic updates to let you know what the traffic conditions are ahead of you ... such as an accident. The unit then gives you an alternate route if you choose to take it.

Since it looks like we will be leaving LA and moving down to Orange County soon, we will get a lot of use out it.

disneydeb
03-22-2007, 11:15 PM
DD's idea of GPS is to continually call me on her cell phone when she's lost or needs directions.

:D That would be the "GET POPPA SYSTEM". I've been known to use the system known as CHN or "CALL HUBBY NOW ", my DH is a great navigator! He works cheap and downloads are a snap! If he messes up he knows he will pay dearly!:thedolls: