PDA

View Full Version : Sharpie meets the Monitor

lovewalt
11-15-2006, 09:01 AM
I sat down at my desk about an hour ago to find a black permanent Sharpie marker lying open on the desk.After a quick glance around the desk I started to breath a sigh of relief that DD hadn't written on any papers or the desk.Then I looked at the monitor.My nice, fairly new, flat screen computer monitor had black scribbles on it ! :jaw:
I knew I had to act fast so I started with some rubbing alcohol, which faded the black to gray but it was still pretty visable.Panicing and pawing around the cleaning supplies, I found a box of the store brand version of Mr. Clean Magic Erasers.I bought them when they were having a sale to see if they worked as well as the brand name.I didn't have any brand name ones left.
Figuring the monitor was going to be ruined anyway, I took a chance and started scrubbing.
It worked !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :joy:
Just thought I'd share in case anyone else is dumb enough to leave a permanent marker out around a 3 year old ! :nono:

SBETigg
11-15-2006, 09:14 AM
Wow, Holly, that's a great tip! I'm so glad it worked out for you. Big sigh of relief.

Mickey'sGirl
11-15-2006, 09:18 AM
I live your life Holly (I have DS2)! I was going to say -- I hope she gets a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser! Clearly the best invention since the lightbulb! I'm so glad it came out. :mickey:

conorsmom2000
11-15-2006, 10:48 AM
I'm so glad you posted this!! We have a calendar that hangs in our kitchen with a white board attached. One day 2 years ago, when my allergies were really bad, I was lying down, half asleep on the couch. Conor was 4 at the time and when I got up, I found he wrote me the cutest message on it (with the correct marker for the board) that said "How tired are you Mom? Well you're that tired. Hmmmm. I'm sad that Molly is sick" (Molly had just had her "no puppy" surgery). I've saved that message all this time because I was so floored that Conor wrote it so well, and spelled everything correctly!! Con's always been embarrassed when people comment on it, especially now that he's older, and just the other day, I saw he took a black sharpie and scribbled over it. :( He didn't realize the sharpie wasn't meant for the white board and wouldn't come off. So, I'm off to get a Mr. Clean Magic eraser!! :thumbsup:

TheMartellFamily
11-15-2006, 10:58 AM
How about this I did not even know we had Sharpies markers, well until DS age two at the time found one(black) and decided that our tan carpeting is the best canvase in the world. Well I did a once over the house and found them and threw them out. Well to my surprize he found another one(red) and dedicided the second and third best canvases are my dining room table and chairs. Well now they are not even allowed in my house be anyone at anytime.

AvonleaCF
11-15-2006, 12:00 PM
Well now they are not even allowed in my house

The Sharpies or your child? :funny:

lovewalt
11-15-2006, 01:11 PM
So, I'm off to get a Mr. Clean Magic eraser!! :thumbsup:

I'll be interested to know if it still lifts it after the marker has set a few days.I wonder if I still would have saved it if I hadn't found it for a few hours.
Thanks INTERCOT for never keeping away from the computer too long ! :thumbsup:

TheMartellFamily
11-15-2006, 02:56 PM
Ha ha, Let me restate that, Sharpies are not allowed in my house. Sometimes I wish that could be with the kids J/K.

Dsnygirl
11-15-2006, 04:50 PM
:thumbsup: Oh my goodness, aren't those Magic Erasers WONDERFUL??? I had a very similar experience 2 years ago when my DD5 was 3... I entered our kitchen, to find an uncapped black permanent ink Sharpie on the floor... panic set in... was pretty calm when I realized the only thing she'd scribbled all over was a new wooden step stool we'd gotten, but wasn't too happy, either! Tried everything, then like you, thought of the Magic Erasers.... and they worked!! Like, well, like magic!! ;) Completely gone... amazing... never thought anything would get that off. Thank goodness someone came up with something that can co-exist peacefully with a 3 yr old's creativity... :D ... not sure what's in those sponges, and not sure I want to know!! :thumbsup:

ChipnDaleGal
11-15-2006, 04:58 PM
Holly, I am so glad that your story had a happy ending! :whew:

MMouse6937
11-15-2006, 06:19 PM
I absolutely love the magic erasers, they take off everything! I use them around the house for anything I can't get off any other way, scuff, marks, paint, etc. They are a lifesaver and I don't have any kids...just 6 furry children and a husband!! They leave enough mess ;)

MNNHFLTX
11-15-2006, 06:25 PM
So glad that the magic eraser cleaned the Sharpie marks off the monitor, Holly! So it didn't scratch up the screen or anything?

Tinkerfreak
11-16-2006, 09:24 AM
I have a good one. My cousins little girl who is about 2 years old took a sharpie and traced her little brothers body on the white sheet in his crib. When she found her she was in the crib with the marker tracing her baby brother and he was just laying there. I asked her if her DD had been watching CSI or something because it looked like a crime scene.

disneydrmr
11-16-2006, 09:37 AM
White out would've worked also :D ;) ... I'll have to go get a Magic Eraser... it's always nice to know something works the way it is advertised.

Caroleh
11-16-2006, 09:44 AM
I have a good one. My cousins little girl who is about 2 years old took a sharpie and traced her little brothers body on the white sheet in his crib. When she found her she was in the crib with the marker tracing her baby brother and he was just laying there. I asked her if her DD had been watching CSI or something because it looked like a crime scene.
:rotfl: :haha: :laughing: :funny: I like that. I was thinking the same thing!!

DVC2004
11-16-2006, 11:23 AM
When my oldest was 2 1/2, he got up early one morning and went downstairs by himself. Niether of us heard him. He found a sharpie and proceeded to draw all over my living room- carpet, couch, tv, wall, some of his toys, even the cream colored glass panels on a Tiffany lamp! I was in shock. I didn't even know we had a sharpie! Apparently my DH had one in our kitchen junk drawer. Anyway, the tv screen and stained glass lamp just wiped off. My couch at the time was dark green and a course, knobby material so we scrubbed and scrubbed until it finally just looked green. I think we had to steam clean the carpet. Oh I will never ever forget that!

TikiGoddess
11-16-2006, 07:46 PM
My 3 yr old pulled a "sharpie on off-white carpet" tirck this summer and I almost grounded her until she was 18! She had colored some long lines in the carpet and had gotten creative on a bunch of her toys too. Thankfully the stains came out but boy... it was a long day for that girl.

TikiG

iheartmickey
11-17-2006, 02:37 PM
Has anyone ever tried a Magic Eraser on a child?

I love Sharpies, and my DH ususally gives me a new set every Christmas in my stocking. I love office supplies ... it's my second illness, Disney being the first of course. Anyway back to the story ... when DD was about 2 she found several different color sharpies and colored all over herself. You know all over ... hands, arms, legs, belly, and face ... and you know it wasn't just little spots but filled in completely and very dark in color. At least most of it was color and not black ... but have you ever tried to wash Sharpie off your fingers when you get on by accident!?! Our sink and bath tub was rainbow of colors for about a week! What a mess!

Guess now I'll have to keep an extra Magica Eraser to see if it works on skin! LOL!

pogo
11-17-2006, 04:47 PM
Boy, am I glad I survived that part of my life ! :D

conorsmom2000
03-27-2007, 07:18 PM
I'll be interested to know if it still lifts it after the marker has set a few days.I wonder if I still would have saved it if I hadn't found it for a few hours.

Holly, I had to dig this thread back up to let you know that yes, the magic eraser got the black sharpie marker off the white board - and not only had the sharpie sat for days, it sat for months! It all totally came off! :thumbsup: :D

MsMin
03-27-2007, 08:01 PM
Thanks INTERCOT for never keeping away from the computer too long ! :thumbsup:

I didn't notice the date and was reading this thinking I had read this a while back:confused:
After reading it I went out and got a Mr. Clean magic Eraser and tried it on the permanent marker that my dd used on an antique desk. She is about to graduate from college next month so you know she hasn't been writing on furniture for some time. It came out. I was thrilled. I thought I was going to have to refinish the desk.... the little smilie, though cute, is now gone. Thanks for the tip.... I'm guessing that smilie had to be on the desk for about 15 years.

Dsnygirl
03-27-2007, 11:21 PM
:D Aren't Magic Erasers WONDERFUL?? When my DD 5 was 2, she got ahold of a black Sharpie and totally covered the top of a wooden step-stool we had - of course, not the yucky extra one, but the brand-new, shiny oak one I'd gotten for in the kitchen! I thought it was a goner... but Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser's saved it's life - and it was so easy! Needless to say, Sharpie's have been out of reach ever since then! ;)

May524
03-28-2007, 12:59 AM
I LOVE magic erasers! I swear I use it on everything! It works GREAT on the tub!!

Clotho
03-28-2007, 03:26 AM
So I have to know: does it damage finishes? Seems some of you have used it on colored things, and finished furniture? Or am I assuming?

I would love eto get some (I have no kids, but we manage okay with us and two dogs to make a mess now and again) if they won't harm our hardwoods, dark wood kitchen table, etc. I mean, 409 doesn't clean as well as these posts seem to imply, and it took the finish off a portion of our dark dining room table!

DisneyDog
03-28-2007, 07:52 PM
I figure that magic eraser can't harm the finish any worse than a black sharpie.

I've used mine on many different things and I'm always thrilled with the results. I don't know what it's made of, but it really is a miracle worker!