PDA

View Full Version : Curves

Christine
11-08-2006, 11:19 AM
Any ladies out there a member of Curves? I just joined.

I realized that I just could not motivate myself to do exercise videos or go out and walk when it's 90 degrees all the time here in Texas!

I thought about joining one of the two other gyms in town, but having been members at them before, remembered why I would not go back...it was more of a singles bar/ meat market kind of place than a gym.

I thought Curves would be more appropriate for a 30-something year old married woman and mother.

I would love to hear your experiences and success stories!

daparish
11-08-2006, 12:12 PM
I use to go. I really liked it. I am not even sure why I quit. I keep wanting to rejoin but have not yet. I really liked the atmosphere and everyone is very friendly.

vicster
11-08-2006, 12:38 PM
I went to Curves just for toning and I really liked that it was women only. Another member who went there also was on their diet and lost 50 lbs. Actually, she ended up buying the Curves we went to. Go for it!

Tinkerfreak
11-08-2006, 01:03 PM
I am a member and I love it. I am very self consious and hated going to the gym with all the spandex barbie dolls and guys pumping iron. Curves is great for me because it is all women and nobody cares how you are dressed or anything like that. It is a very friendly comfortable atmosphere and I have met so many nice people there. The owner is very motivating and she calls me if I have been gone for a couple of weeks just to see if I'm ok and if I am then tells me I need to get my hiney back in there. They do not try to make you perfect just healthier. I noticed a real difference in my stamina on our first disney trip after joining. I did not get tired as quick as I did the first year.

poohluva
11-08-2006, 01:42 PM
My friend and I just joined, it will be 4 weeks this Saturday, we both love it!! I agree that it's nice to have a place just for women who don't care what you're wearing or how you look. When we go on Saturday mornings, it looks like some of the women just crawled out of bed. So far I haven't really noticed any changes on the scale, but I feel better!!

I love the fact that the time there goes by so fast, we usually go at lunch during the week, and early Saturday mornings, and we have a great time!! It's not intimidating at all, there are women of all shapes, sizes and ages that go. :thumbsup:

Piglet822
11-08-2006, 08:37 PM
I go to Curves as well. I really enjoy it although I'm not able to get there as often as I should lately. My work schedule has been rather crazy.
I have lost about 12 inches. My weight is not going down as quickly as I'd like (I need to stick to my diet better!!!) but I'm not gaining weight, either. That's good :)
The people I've met there are very friendly. You'll love it!!!

Jeri Lynn
11-09-2006, 06:22 AM
My sister and I are rejoining curves on Monday, (I can't start anything mid-week). Personally, I don't see alot of results from Curves, but I do enjoy going and having only a 30 minute workout that goes by very fast and gets me out of the house for a while, especially during the winter.

I used to go to the gym and did alot of weight lifting so I Curves does not seem challenging to me, but I don't really want to attend a gym anymore and I like the "woman" only atmosphere at Curves.

I think if I combine that with getting my butt back on my treadmill at home I would see better results!!

Enjoy, it's nice to get out of the house!!

Christine
11-09-2006, 08:32 AM
Thanks for all the feedback! I am looking forward to this!

DMApixie
11-09-2006, 01:45 PM
I joined Curves and lost 50 lbs and 25 inches. I also did the six week challenge and lost 18 lbs while on it. Unfortunately, my schedule changed and it has been very hard for me to go for the past several months, and it is creeping back up on me. I love going and need to make time and just do it! After all, it's just a 1/2 hour three times a week. The ladies are all so nice and encouraging to each other too.

JanetMegan
11-29-2007, 10:26 AM
I wanted to bump this very old thread to see if anyone is still doing Curves? I would like to join between now and the end of the year but I was wondering approx. how much it was and any other advice/info!

Thanks in advance!

meldan98
11-29-2007, 01:15 PM
I used to be a member and it was good initially, but then, as I got more used to the routine, I platued and never lost another pound or inch. Even with the diet and the advanced workout. I thought the atmosphere was wonderful though and think that it is a great place to start being active again. Would I do it again, probably not. Would I recomend it to women as a stepping stone to becoming more active after a sedintary lifestyle...absolutely.

As far as fees go, there was a $75 sign up fee, of which 50% was refunded to me because of my health insurance and then it was $35 a month.

Christine
11-29-2007, 05:40 PM
I have already quit. The center here just had horrible hours and was closed on the weekend (except Saturdays, but only 8-11 and with soccer, etc, that's a no-go).

BrerGnat
11-29-2007, 06:49 PM
I was a member at Curves a few years back. This is what I have to say about it:

If you are a very social person who likes to chit chat, you'll love Curves!

If you keep mostly to yourself or prefer that other people leave you alone while you are exercising, you probably won't like Curves.

If you are a very active person and consider yourself to be "in shape" already, you won't much like the results (or lack of) that Curves workouts provide.

If you consider yourself out of shape, or live a very sedentary lifestyle, Curves is the perfect way to get involved in a safe, effective exercise program.

Like all other programs, you will see the best results if you have a lot of weight to lose. However, if you are trying to lose just 5-10 pounds and tone up, there are a myriad of better options than Curves.

I went for a good 6 months, mainly for the companionship of other women during my husband's deployment a few years ago before we had children. It was fun, but the workout was not challenging at all for me, and once I quit and began some more intense training, I lost the weight I had been trying to for so long and the shape of my body completely changed (I did Pilates and some heavy duty cardio work).