PDA

View Full Version : Before I get attached to any BAD resturant

Tink<3Mickey<3Cinderella
11-06-2006, 10:57 AM
My fiance and I are doing our Honeymoon in September at Disney. We are planning to stay at AKL lodge for most of our trip then thinking about hopping to one of the PO resorts to save a little money. Below are the places we are thinking about eating, we are trying to do a lot of new places for us. So, before I get attached to any places and get pysched up about them please tell me if any are terrible. Also we are planning to use the DDP and we are over the amount of meals, I don't mind paying for a few meals out of pocket because it is our honeymoon but any that are not worth it I don't want to waste meals on. Also is any of the places are better for dinner or lunch and I have it for the opposite place let me know that! Also do character meals use one meal or two on the DDP?

Arrive Late at night

1st Day- Magic Kingdom
Pinocchio's for Lunch
Plaza for Dinner

2nd Day- EPCOT
Biergarten for Lunch
Cantina De San Angel for Dinner (special place to us from our 1st trip together)

3rd Day- Animal Kingdom
Flame Tree for Lunch (one of our favorite places)
Spirit of Aloha Show @ Poly for Dinner (takes up two meals)

4th Day- Relax
Boma for Lunch @ our resort (don't know if it would be good for lunch or not)
Cali Grill for Dinner to watch wishes (takes up two meals)

5th Day- MGM
Backlot Express for Lunch
Hollywood & Vine for Dinner

6th Day- Blizzard Beach
Chef Mickey's for Character Breakfast
Grab something small at BB for a snack/lunch
Jiko's @ our hotel for dinner (takes up two meals)

7th Day- Magic Kingdom Again
Columbia Harbor House (love it there) for Lunch
Peco's Bill's for Dinner

8th Day- MGM & EPCOT Again
Sci-Fi (have to go there its fiance's favorite place) for Lunch
Mitsukoshi Teppanyaki for Dinner

9th Day- Park Hop
Cape May Cafe (great food from our 1st trip) for Character Breakfast
Coral Reef (I know its not amazing but we like the atmosphere)for Lunch
Cap' n' Jacks (like the food here) for Dinner

Leaving the next day do not know when yet so don't know if we will be eating or not.

Thanks for everyone's help, I know there are a lot os questions on here but I want to be as informed as I can be on these new resturants and the DDP!!

EvilQueen2006
11-06-2006, 11:09 AM
I'm not positive, but i don't think Boma offers Lunch.

chechas
11-06-2006, 12:06 PM
We just stayed at AKL Oct 12-14 and nope - Boma does not serve lunch.

ParrotheadMinni
11-06-2006, 12:38 PM
IMO, I'd cut Pinnochio (unless it's special to you for some reason) and shift either Pecos Bill's or Plaza up to the lunch slot and do Spirit of Aloha for dinner on one of your MK days. You could just ride the monorail over to the Poly for SOA and then pop back over to MK if you want. Then you could do Boma dinner on your AK day. (We always do Boma on AK day; it's the same kind of "feel") Chef Mickey's is one TS credit. Have a great time!

BrerGnat
11-06-2006, 04:20 PM
Wow, you've got a lot of TS meals! Are you sure you will be able to eat that much food each day? I would reconsider days where you have both a sit down lunch and dinner...

In general, if a TS meal will cost LESS than about $25 per person, you are better off paying OUT OF POCKET. If you use a credit for a meal that is less than $25, you are LOSING MONEY. So, in general, TS lunches should be paid out of pocket, as well as any character meals (breakfasts) that run less than $25 per person.

My personal opinions are as follows:

1st Day- Magic Kingdom
Pinocchio's for Lunch (DITCH THIS!, try Cosmic Ray's instead...much better food)
Plaza for Dinner (sounds good)

2nd Day- EPCOT
Biergarten for Lunch (pay out of pocket)
Cantina De San Angel for Dinner (special place to us from our 1st trip together)--do you mean San Angel Inn? This is the fast food place, is that where you want to eat?

3rd Day- Animal Kingdom
Flame Tree for Lunch (one of our favorite places) (mine too :thumbsup: )
Spirit of Aloha Show @ Poly for Dinner (takes up two meals) (Change this to 'Ohana...better food for sure, this show is NOT worth two TS credits, and the food is awful)

4th Day- Relax
Boma for Lunch @ our resort (don't know if it would be good for lunch or not) (as mentioned, no lunch served here...maybe go to AK and try Tusker House instead?)
Cali Grill for Dinner to watch wishes (takes up two meals) (good choice-definitely worth two credits)

5th Day- MGM
Backlot Express for Lunch (good choice)Hollywood & Vine for Dinner

6th Day- Blizzard Beach
Chef Mickey's for Character Breakfast (pay out of pocket for this)
Jiko's @ our hotel for dinner (takes up two meals) (good choice)

Columbia Harbor House (love it there) for Lunch
Peco's Bill's for Dinner (I would personally have one of these for dinner, but for lunch, hop the monorail and try Kona Cafe at the Poly--pay out of pocket, lunch is cheap)

Sci-Fi (have to go there its fiance's favorite place) for Lunch (I would pay out of pocket for this one)
Mitsukoshi Teppanyaki for Dinner (good choice)

9th Day- Park Hop
Cape May Cafe (great food from our 1st trip) for Character Breakfast
Coral Reef (I know its not amazing but we like the atmosphere)for Lunch (pay out of pocket here)
Cap' n' Jacks (like the food here) for Dinner

Tink<3Mickey<3Cinderella
11-06-2006, 04:31 PM
I do mean the Cantina in Mexico, we like to get the food and sit and watch Illuminations.

So tell more about the Spirit of Aloha Show compared to 'Ohana. I was really going for the show, is it not worth it? Tell more about this please!

tinkerbell04
11-06-2006, 04:58 PM
On day 4, you could use CS credits for lunch @ the Mara, right at the AKL, since Boma is not open for lunch. Congrats and best wishes. :mickey:

Tink<3Mickey<3Cinderella
11-10-2006, 09:29 AM
Thanks for all the reply's!

More feedback is appreciated!!

rnin02
11-10-2006, 03:59 PM
I can't offer a lot of advice, but I can say we stayed at AKL for our honeymoon this past September, and had a great time! We had dinner at Boma and at Jiko, and they are definitely worth it. Oh, and California Grill was worth it too.

faberj
11-10-2006, 04:39 PM
I have done both the show and Ohana's. The show is okay depending on where you are sitting, we had okay seats (very low to the ground though and hard on us tall people). The food was just gross and cold! It is def. not worth 2TS's either!! We have eaten at Ohana's several times and love it!! The food is great and the atmosphere is warm and friendly, if you eat late enough you can even see the elec. water pag. float by.

magickingdom67
11-10-2006, 11:30 PM
The only one I don't like on your list is Biergarten. Been there twice and both times I didn't like the food and found it too noisy. Everything else looks good though.

ElenitaB
11-11-2006, 09:45 AM
You're a true planner — definitely my kind of gal! :thumbsup:

I won't add to your planning dreams but I did want to congratulate you on your upcoming wedding! :bride: :groom: :magic:

poeticeclipse
11-11-2006, 09:55 AM
The only one I don't like on your list is Biergarten. Been there twice and both times I didn't like the food and found it too noisy. Everything else looks good though.

I agree. I dislike Biergarten a lot. And I mean a lot. The food was just... yuck. And the service was non existant. It's so difficult to get to know your waiter because there are just so many people. And if you sit with another family the attention is taken away from your family. You don't get such a personal experience. The entertainment was very fun but not worth the money.

wdwjoe
11-11-2006, 10:55 AM
Any thought to Hollywood Brown Derby. We are cheap skates but consider this a must every time.

Tink<3Mickey<3Cinderella
11-13-2006, 08:52 AM
I won't add to your planning dreams but I did want to congratulate you on your upcoming wedding! :bride: :groom: :magic:
Thanks!! :mickey:

Thanks for all the thoughts on Spirit of Aloha Show, my fiance and I have talked about it and are re-thinking that and thinking about just doing Ohana! Glad for the advice so I don't waste DDP meals!

Tink<3Mickey<3Cinderella
11-13-2006, 09:42 AM
Thanks for all the feedback, these are our new thoughts, it may change again but this is what I'm thinking at this point.

Arrive Late at night grab something at Mara at the hotel when we arrive

1st Day- Magic Kingdom
Pinocchio's for Lunch- Wanted to try something new
Plaza for Dinner- Thought it would be a good location for wishes

2nd Day- EPCOT
Biergarten for Lunch- Buffet- one of my only memories from my childhood at Disney so I wanted to try again
Cantina De San Angel for Dinner- we like to get this and watch Illuminations

3rd Day- Animal Kingdom
Flame Tree for Lunch -one of our favorite places
Jiko for Dinner @ our hotel

4th Day- Relax
Chef Mickey’s for Character Breakfast - this is new....thoughts? we are okay with noise/kids
Earl of Sandwich for Lunch -something small while shopping
Cali Grill for Late Dinner to watch wishes (takes up two meals)

5th Day- MGM
Backlot Express for Lunch- don't know a lot about this but sounded fun
Hollywood & Vine for Dinner- Buffet- don't know a lot about this but sounded fun

6th Day- Blizzard Beach
Boma for Dinner @ our resort

Columbia Harbor House for Lunch
Peco's Bill's for Dinner

Sci-Fi for Lunch - fiance's favorite place
Mitsukoshi Teppanyaki for Dinner

9th Day- Park Hop
Coral Reef for Lunch - know the food isn't great but we like the atmosphere
Cap' n' Jacks for Dinner- like it here a lot

10th Day- Departure
Cape May Cafe for Character Breakfast -before flight out

2MuchWDFun
11-13-2006, 04:50 PM
My husband and I almost cancelled our reservations for the Coral Reef after hearing all the so-so and bad reviews, I'm so glad we didn't!
We were in WDW in early October (celebrating our 20th anniversary) and had a fabulous meal at Coral Reef. We were there for dinner. I HIGHLY recommend the Ahi Tuna cooked medium rare, it was melt in your mouth delicious. (I had never had Ahi Tuna before...was thinking "yuck, sushi", but our waitress recommended it.) It was served with tasty wasabi mashed potatos, they were the perfect complement. My husband bought wasabi when we got home to make those tasty potatos for me. (He's such a sweety.) Did I mention how really fabulous the meal was?! "The Wave" dessert is a must.

Our waitress told us that they have a new executive chef. The menu wasn't the same one that is on line here at Intercot. Also...the prime rib looked delicious; I was checking out peoples plates on the way out! It was a huge cut! If there is anything negative it is the wait in the lobby. It is really noisy and there aren't enough seats for everyone. There were a lot of people sitting on the floor.
Congratulations on your your wedding! Jikos is wonderful, too...especially if you like to have wine with your meal! The wait staff is very knowlegeable and the dishes are imaginative.

Enjoy!

garymacd
11-13-2006, 09:18 PM
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! I know you will have a great time.

If you can afford the time (and the cost) try to fit dinner at Victoria and Albert's into your plan. It's at the Grand Floridian. We ate there for our 25th anniversary and loved it! Plan to spend at least two hours there, and book at least two weeks in advance. Let them know it is a special event for you.

The meal is an eight course, prix-fixe meal, which means you get to choose one item from each of eight different courses and pay one price. It cost us $100 each, plus wine and tip. Just as a hint (if you like wine) they offer wine pairing for each course. You get a sample 2 ounce glass of wine with each course. The cost was $55 each and actually cheaper than getting a single bottle of wine.

We simply couldn't choose a bottle of wine from the incredible wine list, so this really worked for us and we got to sample different wines from all over the world. Since my BW and I selected different items for each course, we actually got to try 16 different meals and about 14 different wines.

This is a signature dining experience and not part of the Disney Dining Plan. You do have to dress for the occasion, jackets or suits for men, ties optional, dresses or suits for women. My Beloved Wife had great fun stopping at every mall and outlet centre on the I-75 all the way from Canada to Georgia looking for just the right dress.

Again, if you can work this in and afford the $400, do consider this alternative. If you can't afford it at this time, you always have this to look forward to on your 25th anniversary!

Gary

garymacd
11-13-2006, 09:30 PM
I agree. I dislike Biergarten a lot. And I mean a lot. The food was just... yuck. And the service was non existant. It's so difficult to get to know your waiter because there are just so many people. And if you sit with another family the attention is taken away from your family. You don't get such a personal experience. The entertainment was very fun but not worth the money.
I won a yodelling contest at the Biergarten, once...

Through the looking Glass
11-14-2006, 09:51 AM
First off Congrats on your Wedding :congrats: Not a big fan of Hollywood and Vine. Have dined there twice and always felt is was one of Disneys poorer buffets. I would try Brown Derby instead. Coral reef for lunch sounds wonderfull.

cinderellagrl
11-14-2006, 10:12 AM
What about replacing the Luau with the Hoop De Doo Review ? My family and I love this show. Most of us are teenagers and we still find it very entertaing! My second piece of advice would be to change Hollywood and Vine, last time I was there I found it to be typical buffet food (not disney buffet quality)

SBETigg
11-14-2006, 10:53 AM
On the Dining Plan, it makes the most sense to pay out of pocket for a lot of the buffet type or fixed price meals, at lunchtime especially. As Natalie mentioned, anything under $25. I would skip Hollywood and Vine. It just isn't that good. If it is for the Fantasmic Package, I think you would do better to use 2 credits and eat at Hollywood Brown Derby(wonderful atmosphere and food). I'm not sure if the Plaza is worth using credits on or if you might prefer to pay out of pocket there as well.

We did the Spirit of Aloha on our honeymoon way back when(and it was called something else, but same kind of show). It was fun and entertaining, but the food then was not good. It may be better now, but 'Ohana is also fun with good food. To do it again, I would skip the show and have a nice dinner at 'Ohana. Great atmosphere and some entertainment. Spend some time on the beach later, maybe try to catch the fireworks or the Electric Water Pageant.

jax86
11-16-2006, 07:28 PM
was there last week and thought holly and vine wasn't great. food mushy, service bad.

Tink<3Mickey<3Cinderella
03-22-2007, 10:52 AM
Well.....I would like to thank everyone for their feedback, we definatly did consider the comments and actually took a few resturants out that people said were not good. So here it goes, these are our final selections and we are making ADR's this week!!!!!!:mickey:

The day we fly in, we will arrive at the hotel approx. 5pm......so we are going to do Boma that night at our hotel!

1st Day- Magic Kingdom (Monday)
Pinocchio's for Lunch- Wanted to try something new
Plaza for Dinner- Thought it would be a good location for wishes & something new

2nd Day- EPCOT (Tuesday)
Biergarten for Lunch- Buffet- one of my only memories from my childhood at Disney so I wanted to try again
Cantina De San Angel for Dinner- we like to get this and watch Illuminations

3rd Day- Animal Kingdom (Wednesday)
Flame Tree for Lunch -one of our favorite places
Jiko for Dinner @ our hotel

4th Day- Relax (Thusday)
Earl of Sandwich/Wolfgang Express for Lunch -something small while shopping
Cali Grill for Late Dinner to watch wishes (takes up two meals)

5th Day- MGM (Friday)
Backlot Express for Lunch- don't know a lot about this but sounded fun
A Counter service B4 Fantasmic

6th Day- Blizzard Beach (Saturday)
Chef Mickey’s for Character Breakfast - this is new....thoughts? we are okay with noise/kids
Grab something small at BB for a snack
Cap'n'Jacks for Dinner

7th Day- Magic Kingdom Again (Sunday)
Columbia Harbor House for Lunch
Peco's Bill's for Dinner

8th Day- MGM & EPCOT Again (Monday)
Mitsukoshi Teppanyaki for Lunch
Sci-Fi for Dinner - fiance's favorite place

9th Day- Park Hop (Tuesday)
Raglan Road Irish Pub/Cooke's of Dublin for Lunch
Maura for Dinner @ our hotel

10th Day- Departure
Cape May Cafe for Character Breakfast -before flight out

poeticeclipse
03-22-2007, 12:37 PM
Too funny!! My fiance's fav is Sci-Fi as well! I have no idea why *gag*:sick: but, maybe it's a guy thing to wanna sit in cars and eat a burger and fries. :mickey:

Tink<3Mickey<3Cinderella
03-23-2007, 09:09 AM
Too funny!! My fiance's fav is Sci-Fi as well! I have no idea why *gag*:sick: but, maybe it's a guy thing to wanna sit in cars and eat a burger and fries. :mickey:

Absolutely!

Goofy Pluto
03-23-2007, 10:02 AM
I just wanted to say you shouldn't necessarily let everyone else's opinions on here influence what you want to do. I mean, everyone has their opinions on things. A lot of people on here say they don't like Alfredo's or Nine Dragons, but I really like both of them. Whereas a lot of people rave about the Steakhouse in Canada (the name is escaping me at the moment) and I thought it was just OK. (And don't let them convince you on the Chedder Cheese Soup! :ack: )

The point is, if there's some place you are interested in, try it. Make your own opinions or decisions. If you hear something is good, you might want to try it and then disagree. (Canada's Steakhouse) Or someone else might not like something and you'll love it! (Alfredo's - I can't believe it's closing! :( )

My point is, make up your own mind. Now, I'm not trying to convince you to change your mind and go to the Luau. Fact is, I'm not a big fan either (show is kind of cool, food is less than so-so, in MY opinion), but it might be something you'd really like. Just my thoughts.

Oh, but I will back up the person who recommended the Hoop-De-Doo Revue. LOADS of fun! And food is pretty good, too! There's nothing like seeing your Dad pretending to be a ballerina in a pink tutu blowing kisses and shaking his fanny. Never laughed so hard in my life!:rotfl:

Goofy Pluto
03-23-2007, 10:10 AM
...the Steakhouse in Canada (the name is escaping me at the moment) ...

OH! Le Cellier. I remembered! :blush:

ArielKate
04-24-2007, 04:38 PM
Congrats on your wedding!! :)

I pretty much agree with what everyone has said here (and I agree with Goofy Pluto - whatever YOU want to do is the most important thing, no matter what the rest of us say! Everyone is different. :) ).

Also just wanted to add...I know that Boma doesn't have lunch, but would you consider going for breakfast? I love their breakfast buffet and their frunch (it's a juice) is to die for.

Have a wonderful trip and don't forget to tell us all about it when you get back! :thumbsup: