PDA

View Full Version : Favorite 70's Memory

ravsluvdisney
10-25-2006, 01:16 PM
Ok, for all you old coots out there ;) - me included of course - what is your favorite memory from a WDW trip from 25-30 years back? An attraction, resort or dining experience that still exists today that holds a special place in your Disney memorybanks.

Actually, my first trip holds a bunch of good memories. But to choose one, for me, it would be Tomorrowland Speedway. I was 9 in '73 and this was the first Disney ride I ever went on, my dad at the wheel. I swear those cars were going 100 mph! And now 30 years down the road I am riding with my two DS' - hopefully creating some future memories for all of us!! :car:

Tasmen
10-25-2006, 01:54 PM
My first trip was in 1980. That's close to the 70's isn't it? :P

Probably the memory that stays with me the most from that first trip is how happy it made me when they brought butter out with our breakfast and the butter was shaped like Mickey Mouse. It seems such a small thing, but thinking about it today still makes me smile.

Probably the ride I remember the most was Space Mountain and how my Aunt was so terrified during the ride, my brother, whom she was riding with, ended up with his seatbelt almost around his neck (well not really, but for dramatic effect that is what we say :)) because she was tugging and pulling at him so hard.

TheGoofster
10-25-2006, 01:58 PM
I remember on one of our first trips (I think it was 73) my family and I were staying at the Campgrounds (did the call it Fort Wilderness back then?) and we were in a tent, when suddenly a deer (a real one, not one of Disney's robots) stuck his head into our tent. Well, we kind of looked at him, he kind of looked at us, and then he just disappeared. My brother and I ran out after him, but he was already long gone.

mac badger
10-25-2006, 02:31 PM
my favorite 70s memories are of things that are gone:
-the florida orange bird character who would stand around adventureland
-the paper straws
-the juices that were served in plastic fruit containers-grape juice in a bunch of grapes, oj in an orange
-the gritty soap
-i remember the three little pigs as walk around characters
-mr toad!

Disneydol
10-25-2006, 02:42 PM
Now is the time,
Now is the best time,
Now is the best time of your life.
Life is a prize
Live every minute
Open your eyes and
Watch how you win it.
Yesterday's mem'ries
Will sparkle and gleam
Tomorrow is still but a dream.
Right here and now
You've got it made
The world's forward marching
and you're in the parade!
Now is the time,
Now is the best time,
be it a time of joy or strife,
There's so much to cheer for
Be glad you're here - for
It's the best time of your life!

:encore:

Goofy Dad 13
10-25-2006, 02:58 PM
I can't remember the specific year (MK only), but I remember my dad buying a set of all e-tickets. I thought it was the coolest thing. Many year later (mid-90's) when I got to go back, I had to do the e-ticket night. My dad doesn't really remember this, but as a side note, we are taking him back this year for the first time.

magic my way
10-25-2006, 05:07 PM
The World was much smaller then. But so was I...

River Country- I spent as much time there as I did in the MK.

FWRR- Man, I rode that train more times than I can remember.

I still love FW, but it lost a little of its charm when these two unique aspects disappeared.

Ten of Hearts
10-25-2006, 05:09 PM
In the mid-late 70s I was in high school and went to MK. One of my favorite things was to study the beautiful mosaics in Cinderella's Castle. I also enjoyed taking photos of the French gothic and Bavarian style boutiques and attraction houses in Fantasyland. I also loved the shops, scenic view of Tom Sawyer's Island and the Hall of Presidents in Liberty Square. My favorite ride was the People Mover in Tomorrowland. Another favorite thing was to take a leisurely stroll down Main St. at night- watching all the festivies, getting a treat at the bakery or browsing the shops. Some things never change! My next trip will allow more time for these things- and I may go solo if I have to! It's going to be a photo expedition! My parents still have a photo of me standing in front of the Tiki totems when I was in high school- and it suddenly brought back fond memories of MK after my trip there back in Feb. Ready to go in January or June! :cloud9:

Ten of Hearts
10-25-2006, 05:19 PM
In the mid-late 70s I was in high school and went to MK. One of my favorite things was to study the beautiful mosaics in Cinderella's Castle. I also enjoyed taking photos of the French gothic and Bavarian style boutiques and attraction houses in Fantasyland. Loved the shops, scenic view of Tom Sawyer's Island and the Hall of Presidents in Liberty Square. One of my favorite rides was the People Mover in Tomorrowland. Another favorite thing was to take a leisurely stroll down Main St. at night- watching all the festivies, getting a treat at the bakery or browsing the shops. Some things never change! My next trip will allow more time for these things- and I may go solo if I have to! It's going to be a photo expedition! My parents still have a photo of me standing in front of the Tiki totems when I was in high school- and it brought back fond memories of MK after my trip there back in Feb. Ready to go in January or June! :cloud9:

jetsdc
10-25-2006, 06:35 PM
Other than the great memories of how we all dressed back then (how did we kids keep our socks so high when we ran?!):

No. 1 -- gotta be the old monorails. I don't know why, but I miss the way each door was opened individually by CMs pushing those black buttons just outside the front cab. It made that air-lock release noise. And of course how they had to come by and close each door (thump, thump, thump down the line)...

No. 2 -- the old Main St. Electrical Parade

No. 3 -- eating lunch first thing when we arrived in the Contemporary concourse and watching the monorails go by... (was a family tradition back then)

And No. 4 -- when they called it the Wedway people mover in honor of walt.

(PS - I would have said Now Is the Time if someone hadn't gotten to it first! That song rocked...)

mmouse566
10-25-2006, 06:48 PM
I loved 20,000 leagues. The Swan boats bring back pleasant memories and my favorite was the attraction that is now Philharmagic where an animitronic Mickey lead a band and the 3 caballeros sang. Too long ago - I can't remember the name. My favorite memory though is riding space mt with my grandparents and my grandmother proaying to God at the top of her lungs during the whole ride.

Nini
10-26-2006, 05:41 AM
The Magic Shop on Main Street. I loved that place!

Denise :mickey:

diz_girl
10-26-2006, 10:32 AM
Some of these were already mentioned, but here goes:

River Country - I still miss that place!
Mr. Toad - one of my favorite rides. :(
The Skyway - Ditto
Drinking juice from a plastic orange.
My first time on Space Mountain - I was six and I could have sworn that it went upside down.
Discovery Island - the one in the middle of Bay Lake.
Paper tickets that you redeemed for each ride.
The old monorails - for the same reason as someone else mentioned. I actually drove it one time!
The old arcade on Main Street.
The Main Street Electrical Parade - I loved the music.
POTC and HM - 'nuff said.
My first time in the concourse of the Contemporary.
The old arcade in the Contemporary - the one where they had a Shooting Gallery like the one in Frontierland.
My first Mickey Bar! :bar:

Boy, am I getting nostalgic! I have to stop now, or I never will.

ZippitydoodaGal
10-26-2006, 10:56 AM
Staying at the Treehouses
The Wedway - I still call it that!
20000 Leagues - ditto
Dumbo - hating to ride w/my little brother and riding it now with my 6yr DS and loving it!
The plane trip to WDW on Eastern Airlines!
:mickey:

Stu29573
10-26-2006, 11:50 AM
20,000 Leagues!!!!

We SOOOOOO need a ride like that again there. It's now a hunk of prime real estate with no good attraction.... :(

Evan52
10-26-2006, 12:49 PM
Four words, "If You Had Wings". How can you not remember this great attraction! At least the Mexico ride still preserves many of this attraction's original elements!

Speedy1998
10-26-2006, 12:59 PM
What I rember most about my first trip is, while we were waiting in line at the parking toll plaza, watching a constuction crew buildng the monorail track to EPCOT.

Speedy1998
10-26-2006, 01:07 PM
(PS - I would have said Now Is the Time if someone hadn't gotten to it first! That song rocked...)

Personnally, I prefer that they have gone back to the original song ("Great Big Beautiful Tommorow" was the original song when it was at the World's Fair, and at Disneyland).

If they were star using "Now is the Time" again , I would like to see them alternate the 2 songs. Maybe do one on Mon Wed Fri Sun and the other on Tue Thr and Sat.

wantthreewishes
10-26-2006, 03:53 PM
My family went to DW in the mid 70's in the mid seventies...I was in forth grade and my sister in 2nd...we rode the wedway people mover...and got terrified that we were going to have to go on space mountain...scariest ride I've ever been on at the magic kingdom..lol

Lynn J Mc
10-26-2006, 04:09 PM
Loved Discovery Island. We have a picture of me with a big bird sitting on my arm. (and a terrbile hair cut)
The way the characters walked up to you instead of having to stand in line and wait for them.
Room service cheese toast at the Contemporary.

Wayne
10-26-2006, 04:16 PM
My first trip was as an adult. I have fond memories of the Moonlight Cruise aboard a steam powered sidewheel boat on Bay Lake, having a romantic dinner at the Gulf Coast Room on the 2nd floor of the Contemporary complete with strolling guitarist and being entertained at the original Luau at the Poly along with watching top name entertainers at the Top of the World Supper Club at the Contemporary.

Stu29573
10-26-2006, 04:26 PM
Loved Discovery Island. We have a picture of me with a big bird sitting on my arm. (and a terrible hair cut)

Why would they give a bird a terrible hair cut?

mrsgaribaldi
10-26-2006, 05:51 PM
Why would they give a bird a terrible hair cut?

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I have no memories of my first trip in the 70's. :cry:

grumpycajun
10-26-2006, 05:58 PM
My first trip was during the yer they had the Bi-Centennial celebration going on in Disneyland. The three things I remember most clearly are my first time on POC, watching President Lincoln give his speech, and the nightly fireworks celebrating our 200th birthday.

Great memories.

Disney-4-Me
10-26-2006, 06:19 PM
It's so hard to decide on a favorite! We went at Christmastime so I remember the huge tree on Main Street all decorated for the holidays. My favorite picture from our first vacation in the early 70s is of my sisters and brother and I sitting in front of the Liberty tree. Every few visits I have the kids sit in the same spot for a picture.

I want to add a thank you for posting this question. I love to read all of the responses, it sure takes me back! :dance:

ravsluvdisney
10-26-2006, 07:03 PM
I want to add a thank you for posting this question. I love to read all of the responses, it sure takes me back! :dance:

My pleasure Diane - I personally have lots of great memories from the two trips my family took in the 70's. I just included one to start the post but many of us here could probably fill pages waxing nostalgic about visiting during those early years.

Great posts to all BTW - keep 'em coming.... :thumbsup:

mttafire
10-27-2006, 12:09 AM
-the paper straws
-the juices that were served in plastic fruit containers-grape juice in a bunch of grapes, oj in an orange
-the gritty soap
-mr toad!
The fruit containers....!!! That really brings back memories!! :cloud9:

kgoulash
10-27-2006, 09:27 AM
i was young in the 70's and remember the 80's more but reading these posts made me remember the juices served in the plastic oranges, the three little pigs, my cousins and i running back to our rooms at the contemporary to play with our coloring books and little trinkets...
i still have a soft spot in my heart for the contemporary

valjane
10-27-2006, 09:44 AM
I was born in '74, so my memories of Disney in the 70s are vague at best. What I do remember is that there was a train that ran through Fort WIlderness. Also, at Fort Wilderness, trams would take you to your campsite rather than buses. I used to love those!

I also remember the paper straws (yuk) and the little plastic juice containers. ANd, of course, the Mickey butter!

Some other things I miss (that may have been early 80s) are the Melvin the Moose character breakfast in Fort Wilderness, and the Papeete Bay Verandah huge Sunday brunch buffet (where Ohana is now). My family used to love that.

SgtTigger
10-27-2006, 09:58 AM
My Dad took me and I remember the Electric Water Pagent from our first trip.........

Why I can not say.... But I still must go see it every chance I get on every trip........

I also remember the Wed Way People Mover.... funny I must go on that every trip too... :haha:

:cop: :tigger:

conorsmom2000
10-27-2006, 10:09 AM
Our first trip - 1977!

Me - 7 years old, with my parents, and 4 of my 6 siblings.

We were camping our way down the east coast as my Dad had business meetings in the South, and we had plans to spend a few days in Orlando. We couldn't get reservations at Fort Wilderness but in New Orleans we met a family who had an extra reservation and they gave it to us!! My parents stayed friends with them ever since!

I remember:

Being horribly disappointed that Cinderella's castle wasn't a "real" castle that I could explore. :blush:

The movie at FW where Chip or Dale stole my seat! :D

My first ride on Dumbo!! :mickey:

We have a great picture of us in front of the castle - totally 1970's!! I'm even wearing my sailor dress with the anchor on it (some of you may remember those!) I'll have to get it from Dad and scan it to share - it's hysterical! :D

ILoveLegos
10-27-2006, 11:02 AM
My first trip to Disney was in the seventies and I remember, Rocket Ship to Mars - at least I think that's what it was called. It was in a room that looked like Stich's Great Escape but instead of the place where stich is beamed, there was a screen and after you "blasted off" your seats moved a bit and the earth got smaller and smaller. I didn't know it was pretend, so I was surprised when the doors opened and we were still in Disney world - LOL well, I was just a wee little kid. :blush:
My other memory was standing in a circle visision movie and seeing parts of the USA, I really remember the parade best, but there were wheat fields, moutains and Mount Rushmore too, because after that movie I thought you could see Mt Rushmore as you flew by on a plane to California - wow that was a repressed memory for me - in fact my whole concept of what it was like to fly was shaped by the Delta Dream Flight ride and that circle vision movie (when I was a kid we only drove to Disney I didn't actually fly anywhere until college). Sometimes that Delta song still plays in my head when I'm walking onto a plane.

drummerboy
10-27-2006, 11:38 AM
DW and I took our first trip as starry-eyed newlyweds in '76, and our first ride was "If You Had Wings", so I guess that would be my fondest memory.

We also rode the FWRR. I have a couple of slides of the train.

Kisobel
10-27-2006, 10:45 PM
my dad let my brother take me on space mountain. granted i was 9 but my brother was 18. loved that wait in line and the ride was awsome. i think my dad had been rided out. also i miss mr toad. :(

kate

alpro2
10-28-2006, 09:13 AM
First trip was in April 1976 when I was 9. I remember the Bicentennial Celebration and the parade.

These are the most vivid memories:

I remember sitting either next to my mother or on her lap in Space Mountain (the cars were different back then) and screaming my head off.

I remember looking up at the hairy-legged pirate in POTC (have no idea why I remember that?).

I remember my father always giving us "the look: whenever my two brothers and I were having "too much" fun.

Tynkerbelle
10-28-2006, 03:47 PM
I have so many great childhood memories from back then - our family vacations were always to WDW starting in 72. I can still remember driving through the gates to get to the Poly and I still get the same feeling now!

My best memories:
"If You Had Wings" at the MK
using tickets to get on the rides (I still have some left)
swimming in the lagoon
River Country
Main St Electrical Light Parade
watching Goofy waterski past the Poly (character interaction was much better back then)
the old pool & slide at the Poly
dressing up to go the Empress Lily (now Fulton's) for dinner
the water parade - we could watch it float by our room at the Poly and then we'd watch the fireworks
horseback riding with my dad at Fort Wilderness
speed boats on the lagoon
going to the buffet (pre- Chef Mickey) at the Contemporary for dinner, then taking a monorail ride and finally going to the Fantasia shop and daddy buying me a pair of stuffed animals

Ten of Hearts
10-28-2006, 04:14 PM
These are really wonderful to read! I wish someone would open a museum all about WDW. :mickey:

ftwildernesskid
10-28-2006, 05:28 PM
Thanks to whoever posted this! Reading all the responses is like walking down memory lane when Disney was the most magical--through the eyes of a child. My vote is for If You Had Wings, buying tickets for each ride, and the Carousel of Progress (Now is the Time is still the one and only song in my book.) Does anyone remember the name of the man in Tomorrowland who did a whole show with synthesizers? Pigs in the Wind was my favorite.

Princess_Pumpkin16
10-29-2006, 10:12 PM
Gosh! My mind is racing, trying to remember...the first time that I went to WDW I was 6 in 1971 which I don't remember too much except we drove from Philadelphia in an RV and stayed in the camp ground at Ft. Wilderness. We went back the following year with my family (5 of us) and my grandparents, again in an RV but I got confused wih my memories because we had taken a month's cross country tour of the U.S.(in an RV) which also included DL, so I get confused about which memory was WDW or DL, but...I DO remember eating spagetti at the Polynesian (sounds funny huh?), every night that we ate there, which seemd like EVERY night. here are some more memories:
* Sharing popcorn with my dad during the parade
* The OLD monorail
* My dad ripping out the e-tickets before the rides, and before leaving the parks to go home, asking other families if they wanted our unused tickets
* Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
* 20,000 leagues Under the Sea
* The cool water fall and slide at the Polynesian
* My dad and I always getting those frozen orange things (what are they called again?)by the Enchanted Tiki birds
* The Water Pageant...gosh i could go on and on...thanks for the memories mom & dad!!!!!!!

pjbs35a
10-29-2006, 10:28 PM
How about a trip not taken in 1973 ???

As a college student I lived in Clearwater, Florida for the entire summer working on a construction job. Some of my buddies went to WDW and begged me to go with them. Being "too cool" to visit Mickey Mouse, I turned them down and went to the beach instead.

First trip was seven years later in 1980. The rest is history. How I wish I had that summer of 1973 back again. :(

But it wasn't all bad. I got to see Joe Namath in an exhibition game in Tampa.

diz_girl
10-30-2006, 09:28 AM
The old Poly pool & slide! I loved that slide. I miss it. :( It was so much fun.

Main Street Jim
10-30-2006, 11:48 AM
The "pristine" white concrete and blue color scheme of Tomorrowland with the waterfalls at the spires.

The original Tomorrowland Terrace with its funky disco-ish lighting inside.

The original, LOOOONG Grand Prix Raceway with the "Drivers row 1...green light, go!"

The Skyway over the 20k lagoon.

The only thing in Frontierland was Country Bear Jamboree and the train station.

When Adventureland ended at Jungle Cruise. (Caribbean Plaza didn't open until 1973.)

Wayne
10-30-2006, 03:40 PM
Does anyone remember the name of the man in Tomorrowland who did a whole show with synthesizers? Pigs in the Wind was my favorite.
His name is Michael Iceberg.

Ten of Hearts
10-31-2006, 11:46 AM
The "pristine" white concrete and blue color scheme of Tomorrowland with the waterfalls at the spires.

The original Tomorrowland Terrace with its funky disco-ish lighting inside.

The original, LOOOONG Grand Prix Raceway with the "Drivers row 1...green light, go!"

The Skyway over the 20k lagoon.

The only thing in Frontierland was Country Bear Jamboree and the train station.

When Adventureland ended at Jungle Cruise. (Caribbean Plaza didn't open until 1973.)

I loved the pristine white of Tomorrowland too. It looked cool, refreshing and futuristic. I wish they would make it look more like that again- or something high tech looking (glass buildings maybe?) :mickey:

ravsluvdisney
10-31-2006, 02:43 PM
Thanks to whoever posted this! Reading all the responses is like walking down memory lane when Disney was the most magical--through the eyes of a child.

Glad you like it - revisiting that time for me is the greatest - except for the new memories we're making with our 2 DS'!! :mickey: :mickey:

mrte62
10-31-2006, 04:09 PM
Missing two and a half days of school so we could drive down from NJ so we would be at WDW the whole week before Easter.

Doing the missed school work on a home made car seat bench my Dad made.

Staying at Ft. Wilderness and taking a tram to Bay Lake to swim.

Think we were reall cool because we had Magic Key Club tickets.

My brother getting up and hiding behind my Dad the first time he saw Big Al.

Easter Sunday Mass at the Contemporary followed by brunch.

First ride in a water mouse.

Exo
10-31-2006, 06:54 PM
Now is the time,
Now is the best time,
Life is a prize
Live every minute
Open your eyes and
Watch how you win it.
Yesterday's mem'ries
Will sparkle and gleam
Right here and now
You've got it made
Now is the time,
Now is the best time,

Ditto!!
:thumbsup:

PeterPan
10-31-2006, 07:37 PM
Spring of 1974 - I had NO IDEA that the Monorail was about to SWOOP thru a huge hotel lobby! What a surprise! That first time was such a thrill - nothing can ever take that away from me!

jclightchasr
11-02-2007, 05:06 PM
Staying at The plane trip to WDW on Eastern Airlines!

Yes Eastern airlines rocked!!
And I miss orange bird, winnie the pooh with the honey pot on his head,MSEP, and RC.

wedway76
11-02-2007, 06:35 PM
I know it was mentioned one already, but who remembers that powdered hand soap in all the parks, and the dispensers that it came in. That was very strange stuff.

How about the family using up those A and B tickets on things that you really didn't care to go on, but you HAD to use them.

IloveDisney71
11-02-2007, 09:37 PM
I was born a few months before WDW opened and was lucky enough to grow up about 30 minutes away. I spent many happy days in the MK. I loved Dumbo and the monorail(& I still do!). I also used to love to ride the skyway and look down at all the people and at the park itself. I used to think that was the neatest thing.
I also remember the orange drink containers and paper straws. I have a picture with the 3 pigs - their heads were huge!:mickey:

Marker
11-03-2007, 12:02 AM
My only memory of WDW from the 70's was hearing a childhood friend tell me all about his trip and wanting so bad to visit WDW myself.

My own first visit was in '83. I was 24 and DW and I took our not yet 2 year old son. We stayed off site with relatives out on the Atlantic coast. My wife's cousin got us in for free. First trip, in February, we only visited Magic Kingdom. In November we visited both MK and Epcot Center. I thought Epcot Center was amazing, and still do.

Our son was only like 15 months on our first visit. His favorite ride was the Carousel. 9 months later, the first place he wanted to go, was right back to the carousel, and yes, he remembered right where it was and pointed toward it as soon as we entered the park.

EPCOT84
11-03-2007, 01:42 AM
I know it was mentioned one already, but who remembers that powdered hand soap in all the parks, and the dispensers that it came in. That was very strange stuff.

How about the family using up those A and B tickets on things that you really didn't care to go on, but you HAD to use them.

:yes: :yes: :yes: Same for Disneyland

LibertyTreeGal
11-03-2007, 07:07 AM
Mine would hail all the way back to 1974 -- we were riding POTC in DL and my brother got terrified of the skull and tried to dive under the seat!!

I remember that we tried to get into the Golden Horseshoe but never ended up doing it and I regret that now (but I listen to the soundtrack often) :(

darth daddy
11-03-2007, 08:58 AM
I was six at the time and remember loving the 20000 Leagues ride. Also, mainstreet USA seemed to be a mile long when I was little and we leaving the park at the end of the night.

jpH/keD
11-03-2007, 10:00 AM
I was 10 in 1975 and my brother was 9. It was our only childhood trip. We were on year round school and our parents were both teachers. We had 3 weeks off school the first 3 weeks of November. There were literally NO lines anywhere!! We went on Space Mountain. My brother was so scared he completely turned himself around and wrapped his body around mine!! He was squeezing me so hard I couldnt breathe!! So funny now but he was terrified! My mom and I LOVED its a small world and made my dad and bro go on it at least 5 times! I also remember those plastic orange juice containers and we kept those for the longest time. Great thread! I have read the whole thing!:thumbsup:

Main Street Jim
11-03-2007, 10:15 AM
So this thread is like over a year old, and someone revived it just the other day....*FANTASTIC* memories...:D:D

So...I see a LOT of you are WDW'ers *pre-1975*....how many more are out there?? I bet *most* here may be 1990-95 or later, but I can also bet that there's a good few of us who are from the '70s....

rcaide
11-03-2007, 10:20 AM
I was 11 the 1st time we visited WDW in 1972. We went every other year as I was growing up. We had family in FL so we would stay with them and drive up to WDW just for the day. I guess I remember the excitement of not being able to sleep the night before and my uncle waking me up at 5 am to hit the road. I will never forget my first glimpse of Main Street. I loved IASW and the song :blush:. My favorite was the Mickey Mouse Review. I really liked Alice and the singing flowers. I loved being with my Mom and Dad and seeing them act like children. I don't think I ever saw my dad smile so much as the 1st time he took me to WDW. He passed away when I was 23 but I can still remember what he wrote in my autograph book the day of my 1st trip to WDW: "Little one, my your life always be as happy as it was today. I love you, Dad" I think that is why I love WDW so much. It is tied up with so many memories of my dad. My Mom (who is 84) and I still talk about that 1st trip in the 70's. So many memories in my lifetime, but some of best ones are from WDW.

disneydeb
11-03-2007, 10:29 AM
November, 1972
On the drive down, listening to "Crazy Horses" on 8 track.:D
Space Mountain was not finished, but we viewed models of what it would be like. 20.000 Leagues was terrific. POTC was awesome. The Tiki Room- My mother remarked "How well-trained " those birds were!
Animatronics were not well understood.:D
Jungle cruise was fun and funny! Swan Boats were gracefully gliding in front of the castle. The Golden Horseshoe Review, I never got to do it again.
I remember orange drinks and the paper straws. No birds dive bombed us! Everyone wanted to go up into the castle and couldn't.
My cousin got hooked on the arcade!

WheresWalt
11-03-2007, 02:45 PM
If you had wings, you could do many things
You could widen your world, if you had wings
If you had wings, if you had wings, if you had wings, had wings, had wings, had wings, had wings.

That and the Baroque Hoedown from the Main Street Electrical Parade meant Disney to me when I was a kid. :mickey:

EPCOT84
11-03-2007, 04:10 PM
Being a west coast kid, it was Disneyland for us. We went every year, sometimes multiple times a year. This was before annual passports were introduced. We were Disney fanatics true and true.

When WDW opened, Mom bought the issues of Time and Life magazine covering the opening of WDW. I'd read it over and over. I now see the same issue in the museum at MGM and it makes me recall those years from afar....

Over the years, we'd watch anything on TV to see what the new park was like. It looked soooo cool but it wasn't til EPCOT opened in '82 that finally prompted my folks to make the trip to Florida. We were hooked !

#1donaldfan
11-03-2007, 05:19 PM
Ummmm.....???? that's a long time ago.....I suppose....ummmm...an attraction that still exists???? I would say POTC....and maybe the HM.....actually back in the 70's I got a pirate flag and lost it on HM...I was maybe 8 or 9....then years and years later my mother sent me one while I was on active duty in the Phillippines.....how cool is that???? She remembered after all those years.....NOW, we are making memories year after year with our kids.....once I'm in the parks, I revert back to a kid...just ask mine...I'll bet my teenager will tell you I embarrass her....oh well, I have fun...

diz_girl
11-05-2007, 02:58 PM
Also, mainstreet USA seemed to be a mile long when I was little and we leaving the park at the end of the night.
To me it still seems a mile long at the end of the day.

Now, about those powdered soap dispensers - I'm just remembering them. Of course, little did we know then that 30 years later the toilets and sinks would be automatic. And the doors would be automatic too - and you would get so used to them during your stay that when you returned home that you would stand in front of non-automated doors waiting for them to open and look like an idiot.

My mother just gave me the WDW map (there was only one) from our first trip in 1976 that show now-defunct attractions such as the Skyway, 20K, Mr. Toad, Davy Crockett's? Canoes, the Swan Boats, Mission to Mars, Eastern Airlines''s If you Had Wings, the Arcade, plus other rides that only had name changes (WED Way, etc.). Anyway, that map is going in the safe and I'll take it out on occasion and wax nostalgic about WDW.

I'm just amazed that jclightchasr went back through a year's worth of threads to find this dormant post.

Tygger7
11-05-2007, 03:17 PM
Some of these were already mentioned, but here goes:

River Country - I still miss that place!
Mr. Toad - one of my favorite rides. :(
The Skyway - Ditto
Drinking juice from a plastic orange.
My first time on Space Mountain - I was six and I could have sworn that it went upside down.
Discovery Island - the one in the middle of Bay Lake.
Paper tickets that you redeemed for each ride.
The old monorails - for the same reason as someone else mentioned. I actually drove it one time!
The old arcade on Main Street.
The Main Street Electrical Parade - I loved the music.
POTC and HM - 'nuff said.
My first time in the concourse of the Contemporary.
The old arcade in the Contemporary - the one where they had a Shooting Gallery like the one in Frontierland.
My first Mickey Bar! :bar:

Boy, am I getting nostalgic! I have to stop now, or I never will.

Oh my gosh!! I'd forgotten about some of these! Like above, I miss River Country. I also miss drinking out of the fruits..those were so cool! And Discovery Island, I so clearly remember spending the day over there, and of course, I miss the original Main St. Electrical Light parade!

Thanks so much for stirring up these wonderful memories!!:cloud9:

Daisy'sMom
11-05-2007, 03:39 PM
I miss the cleanliness of the bathrooms, the way the tiniest speck of liter was scooped up in a second by an attendent dressed in white, the clip clop of the horses on Main Street, the stationary store, the magic shop. That little side section off Main Street with the flower carts. Thank you for posting all of your memories, it brought back so many of my own.:mickey:

LibertyTreeGal
11-05-2007, 04:10 PM
Oh my goodness, powdered soap -- I just had a ton of unpleasant grade school memories flood into my head. ROFL -- I had forgotten that it had even existed!

mainemajor
11-05-2007, 06:57 PM
My first love at Magic Kingdom, that's all there was my first several trips, was walking down, not up, Main St. USA at night. Night at MK then and now is the most magical spot in the world. If I could do just one thing at WDW it would be take a lesurly stroll at night along Maine St. Doing that just makes me sooooo happy!
:joy:
Isn't that what it's all about?

wdwfansince75
11-06-2007, 10:08 AM
I get an occasional fix by visiting Mouseketeer Alison's Walt Dated World! Our first Disney trip was to DL in 71. I had just submitted my thesis for my MS at the Naval Post Graduate School in Monterey, CA. We knew I would be going back to an operational assignment as a Naval Flight Officer, so DW felt that we (myself, DW, DS5, DD3, and DD1) needed some R&R. DL was our choice, and it was a wonderful choice! We did everything we could. POTC was a hit for all. And DD3 insisted on the donkey ride. (Yes, they had live donkeys in the park). DW rode with her. DW didn't realize how close to the edge some of the mule could walk!

For the next four years, between many deployments to the Western Pacific and Southeast Asia, we talked about our next trip to Disney. When we were transfered to MD, we discovered that WDW was now open. We went in 75; DW, DS10, DD8, DD5, FIL, & MIL. Stayed at CR.

First memory was approaching CR. As we passed some topirary figures, we spotted the huge A-Frame, and saw (to MIL's great delight) a boat sail across the road!

Special memories:
POTC & HM.....and they still are favorites of all of us!
COP
MIL and DD3 riding If You Had Wings again and again.....DD3 loved it, and didn't want to ride anything else....We all rode it several times, since it was one of only a few rides that didn't take tickets.
The People Mover
Skyway
Swan Boats....boring, but there wasn't much else to do with that ticket.
10,000 (or so) Leagues
Leaving Tikiroom as the finale simulated a thunderstorm, only to discover that there was a real thunderstorm outside!.....

and the greatest magic of all, discovering that we were expecting our fourth!

Lots of trips since those days, but those two trips were special. Thank you for the chance to refresh the memories!

disneyjo-91
11-06-2007, 10:57 AM
I remember a few things going to disney as a child

the plastic juice cups
i loved delta dream flight.. that was one of my fav rides.(the song if you had wings .. and at the end didnt the guys pants fall down and you saw his boxers? LOL!)
when space mountain 1st opened. we all went on it. well we did not know that the ride was that fast and in the dark!! I remember my mom going this is not that bad as we were going up the 1st hill.. LOL! my brother was so scared and he gripped the rubber on the car so hard his little fingers got stuck underneath the rubber and they had to stop the whole ride to pry his hands out :haha:

Gritty soap!!

we never stayed on property when i was little so the day at the magic kingdom was a mad rush to do everything in one day! we loved it though.... I still have booklets of E tickets ..

ahhhhh!

ryca1dreams
11-07-2007, 10:25 PM
I was 10, but I remember:
-Mission to Mars
-If you had Wings
-90 minute wait for Space Mountain. The Star Tunnel music stuck in my head for a decade.
-The old Luau
-The old music from the Electrical Water Pageant.
-Being terrifed to death on Snow White's Adventure becuause they didn't say it was "scary" but that stupid witch kept popping out at you.
-The original Tiki room.

Some of the details I have forgotten. I have some pictures of the Main Street Parade and me sitting at the The Plaza (?) wearing some ugly read and yellow shoes.

Victor Kelly
11-07-2007, 10:38 PM
Keeping in mind I was only 5 by 1980.

1. God yes the paper straws, how they would get so soggy in 5 minutes.
2. Thunder Mountain being built.
3. Wed Way People mover
4. If You Had Wings.
5. The topiaries that lined the monorail route to MK.
6. The square swath of land where the Grand Floridian now stands.
7. The old Adventureland Trainstation where the parade route exit now is. Wow the green lawn!!
8. And from a child's eyes the most perfect place to be.

Almost forgot.....................Open at 8am and closed at 1am.

Jerry2
11-08-2007, 08:46 PM
First trip was in April 1976 when I was 9. I remember the Bicentennial Celebration and the parade.

These are the most vivid memories:

I remember sitting either next to my mother or on her lap in Space Mountain (the cars were different back then) and screaming my head off.

I remember looking up at the hairy-legged pirate in POTC (have no idea why I remember that?).

I remember my father always giving us "the look: whenever my two brothers and I were having "too much" fun.

I'm not sure who screamed more on SM you or dad. :coaster:

I think Mom first spotted “hairy leg” pointed it out to us all. I know I didn’t notice it until she pointed it out.

We did get “The Look” a LOT! That was one of the funniest parts of the trip. But I have to admit, for every one “look” Ed and I got you got 5. You were always in trouble. And every time you got in trouble the rest of us laughed like crazy. :funny:

I also remember Alpro2 ordering a hamburger at every meal. One day mom said he wasn’t allowed to have a hamburger, so he ordered something with the word Steak in the title. When the waitress brings out his order it’s this ground steak, it was basically a bun-less hamburger on a plate with gravy. When we saw what it was we all cracked up. :eat: .:funny:

We laughed so much on that trip. I was 17 years old but WDW made me feel like a little kid, as it still does now.

pwdebbie
11-08-2007, 09:14 PM
I went to MK for the first time the year it opened. I remember specifically standing on a platform of the Swiss Family Treehouse and realizing that this was the best family vacation we had ever taken. Unfortunately, I didn't get to go back again until just this past October. My husband says it was the best vacation we've taken. I wanted to do the treehouse this time, but dh has problems with heights, so I kept my feet on terra firma and didn't do any climbing.

When my family went in the 70s that first time, we took the AutoTrain. It was such a bad experience that mom cashed in the tickets and we flew home. I hope AutoTrain has gotten better!

Deb

martinfamily5
11-09-2007, 11:23 AM
I have posted this before, but on a different thread. It was the late 70's. I grew up in Florida with divorced parents. Dad rarely showed up to get us (my brother and I). Every time that he did he would say, "What do you want to do?" Our response was ALWAYS go to Disney. But it didn't happen. Then one time he showed up, asked the same question and got the same response. This time he said "Yes, we will go in the morning" So the next day my dad, stepmom, brother and I got up and drove to Disney. It rained on us all day. Daddy bought us all the Mickey Mouse yellow ponchos. We doned our ponchos and went on with the rest of our day. There were no lines for anything. That was the best childhood trip. Nine months later Daddy died of cancer. We don't have very many fond memories of Daddy and so my Disney trip with him is a very cherished memory.

I am so thankful that my husband and I are able to create such wonderful Disney memories with our 3 children. Soon the oldest will go off to college and things and our life will completely change.

Thanks so much for letting me recall and share this wonderful time spent with my Daddy.

kmo84
11-10-2007, 12:22 AM
I really loved reading everyone's posts here.
My grandparents took me and my mother in Nov. 1971. I was 5. We stayed at the Contemporary. I think that is why it is still one of my favorite resorts.
My worst memory of the trip? Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer was on and my grandfather wouldn't let me watch it!:mad:

I loved so many of the things everyone else already mentioned. I think the Country Bears really stuck with me from that trip. I remember how much I loved Big Al.

But I hated the paper straws! They were only good for about one or two sips and then they would go flat and no more liquid would pass through them!!:bang:

Thanks for the great memories!

kathymk616
11-10-2007, 06:28 PM
These posts are awesome! I remember all the things mentioned so far, and thanks for bringing back great memories.

A couple of additions:

-You needed a handstamp if you left the park and returned later in the day? I remember being on Peter Pan's flight and (under the UV light) seeing the handstamp. I thought it was the most magical thing I had ever seen. (I was a dumb kid.)

-Loved, and was also scared of, the Skyway. (Again, I was dumb.)

-Our family would always be excited to hear about EPCOT, which didn't yet exist, but was being built!

-Main Street was more than just shops. Circlevision 360, the Walt Disney Story, and the shooting gallery/Penny Arcade were family favorites.

-River Country. (Already mentioned, but it deserves to be mentioned again.)

-Did anyone else play on "The Wee Links" and the Golf Resort? I think that was late '70's, but it might have been early '80's.

-I also loved the RCA mascot dog at the entrance to Space Mountain. I could be wrong about this, but I think that figure/animatronic is used in one of the displays for the futuristic scenes on the exit from Space Mountain. Can anyone confirm this?

pook@wdw
11-10-2007, 07:01 PM
Ahhhhhhhh!!! Let's take a ride down memory lane.:cloud9: 1974...13yrs old...the 2 things I remember best...Space Mountain :thumbsup: and Main St Electrical Parade! :thumbsup:

Disneyfun
11-11-2007, 11:55 PM
My favorite memory from the late 70's was the photo shop at the beginning of Main Street where they dressed you up in the turn of the century costumes with the velcro on the back! I detest the green screen photos they do now, so fake and impersonal.

The frozen orange swirled treats at the Sunshine Tree Terrace when they still had the tables infront of it and no Dumbo-clone ride with spitting camels! We kids would get ice cream all over ourselves!

The "wooden" indian statue on Main Street was also a must photo opp for the entire family!

I miss the sky way most (even though the memory was from the 90's)! This is where my DW and I have our 1st photo together after we were married - I did the whole stick-out-your-arm-with-the camera-held-back-towards-yourself! It is one of our favorite pictures!

Mickey 101
11-13-2007, 01:49 AM
I was 14 on our first trip and unlike many people here, I only got to go once growing up. That made me even more determined to go back some day. Some of my memories......

First and foremost......gliding right through a hotel on the monorail!!!
Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse
Jungle Cruise
Tea Cups
Country Bear Jamboree (have never gone on it again)
Small World (getting song firmly stuck in our heads)
POTC and the hairy leg
A booklet of all E tickets
My first Mickey t-shirt
Getting hooked on the magic!!!!!!!!! :cloud9:

RBrooksC
11-14-2007, 09:35 AM
I am not sure if it is a favorite memory because I was only six and I have a hard time remembering details of the trip in 1977. However, I do remember staying at the Golf Resort and having to drive to the Poly to use the pool/slide and to swim in the Seven Seas Lagoon. I remember racing my dad out to this green anchored wooden raft out a few yards from the beach.

I also remember my parents discussing what extra tickets they should purchase for our visit to the MK.

I also remember Peter Pan's Flight and how amazed I was to fly over London and then past the moon. I was very much into the moon and astronomy when I was around six so being able to fly so close to it was something that always stuck with me. Shoot, I still get amazed when I ride Peter Pan.

I also remember being scared when going into the Haunted Mansion and my parents having to pull me into the door because the costumed workers.

Although I was tall enough for Space Mountain, my mom didn't think the ride was right for me so we ended up leaving via the chicken exit. Then again, my mom is scared of coasters however, she did ride this back in 1983 and then again in 1989 so I really don't remember why she wouldn't let me on it and she doesn't either when I asked her recently.

T--
11-14-2007, 10:50 AM
How about those paper shopping bags that were mostly white but had pink and brown globe mickey designs on 'em?
Is that a figment or do I remember that correctly?

Eeyore's My Favorite
11-14-2007, 09:22 PM
My favorite memory was Grad Night in 1973 - I think it was close to the very first ones they did. I met up with friends from a high school I transferred from my junior year of high school. It was an absolute blast - we rode everything we possibly could, my old friends and new friends blended together and made one big group. I've been blessed that my daughter was able to go to Grad Night with her friends 2 years ago and had just as much fun as I did all those years ago with my friends. :mickey:

DisneyBarb
11-15-2007, 07:26 AM
My first visit was in 1972 and never having been to an amusement park or anything similiar, I was just in awe.. but my fondest memory was taking the monorail through the contemporary, I remember my father could not stop talking about it!

4myprincesses
11-15-2007, 04:26 PM
Being bornin 79 I missed some of all this thread is mentioning. I do remember the Delta Dreamflight, fruit shaped drinks, Mickey butter, and who could forget the icky powder soap that got stuck under your fingernails and smelled like the stuff they put on puke at school! My most vivid memory and I'm not sure it's from my first trip or not was Captain Eo (sp?) I don't remember the attraction at all, really not much of any of it except that everyone was talking about it everywhere and I got a free pin when we went into Epcot that said Captain Eo.

BTW, our family still calls it the WEDWAY People Movers :)

Disneylover3013
11-17-2007, 06:27 AM
We went to Sunny Florida for our senior year class trip from cold New Jersey in 1979. The trip was 299.00. Two days at Magic Kingdom, one day at wet and wild and another doing something that I just can't remember ( Being at that age where things start to slip away and you can't grab it back LOL). What I remember most was how we spent all day at the park and didn't see anyone from our class for the whole day. We enjoyed every ride more than once and I remember spending alot of time in the magic shop. We bought a mask and scared one of teachers at the room check at night in our motel ( boy did she scream).
And the reason we didn't anyone from our class all day was because alot of them went to I guess the poly or Contempory and drank all day because the drinking age was 18 in Florida back then.:beer:
I know one thing with some of my memories fading away I probably remember more of that trip than some of my other classmates!

texasteacher
11-17-2007, 12:35 PM
That brings back memories for me!

Now is the time,
Now is the best time,
Life is a prize
Live every minute
Open your eyes and
Watch how you win it.
Yesterday's mem'ries
Will sparkle and gleam
Right here and now
You've got it made
Now is the time,
Now is the best time,

texasteacher
11-17-2007, 12:38 PM
Four words, "If You Had Wings". How can you not remember this great attraction! At least the Mexico ride still preserves many of this attraction's original elements!

I loved that ride!

texasteacher
11-17-2007, 12:45 PM
I had my picture taken in front of the flower carts off of Main Street when visiting in the 70s! They are not there?

I miss the cleanliness of the bathrooms, the way the tiniest speck of liter was scooped up in a second by an attendent dressed in white, the clip clop of the horses on Main Street, the stationary store, the magic shop. That little side section off Main Street with the flower carts. Thank you for posting all of your memories, it brought back so many of my own.:mickey:

Mickey 101
11-17-2007, 11:26 PM
Several people mentioned the powdered soap in the bathrooms. It seems like they were still using that up until about six or seven years ago. Is that right?

Shoebee99
11-18-2007, 05:38 PM
- Enchanted Tiki Birds
- Carousel of Progress - I could never figure out if we were moving or if they were....
- Small World - It just made me happy
- 20,000 leagues the little boy next to my dad peed his pants when the ride went under the water - although that may have been a later trip.
- Eating at Crystal Palace
- My grandparents went to Fla. every winter and saved the tickets they didn't use for us! We only went 2 or 3 times back then and those trips were 1 day trips while visiting Fla, but I thought that was great! Extra rides!!

rustyc
11-18-2007, 08:23 PM
Flying Eastern Airlines to Orlando from National Airport, upon arrival in Orlando going down metal stairway to a bus to the terminal, MCO was under construction. Staying at the South Garden wing of the contemporary, having dinner and show at the top of the world, with Rosemary Clooney. Luau at the polynesian, think I still have the seashell lei. Rembembering that my father left his car keys in a locked suitcase when we got to the car. Quite a memory from then, I guess the best was that it was to celebrate my high school graduation. Russ

wedway76
11-18-2007, 10:07 PM
Several people mentioned the powdered soap in the bathrooms. It seems like they were still using that up until about six or seven years ago. Is that right?

I could be mistaken, but I THINK on our trip in 1996 was the last time I saw the powdered soap.

Flying Eastern Airlines to Orlando from National Airport, upon arrival in Orlando going down metal stairway to a bus to the terminal

Yes! I remember walking down those metal gangplank stairs onto the tarmac, and across the tarmac to the terminal at MCO.
On one of our recent trips our driver pointed out the old terminal building. Once he pointed it out I remembered it. I think it now has a big FedEx or UPS sign on the side.

tinklover
11-20-2007, 11:49 AM
my favorite memory would have to me my first trip to WDW when I was 5 . we got into the que for HM and i was scared to death. a CM came up to me and told me that if i smiled thru the ride the ghosts would not get me.I looked like this the whole time:D. the next best memory was riding POTC and exiting the ride and doing the photo thing I got to dress up like a pirate and they stood me behind the dummy pirate and i had a knife to his throat lol. and last but not least my grandmother was on this trip with me and my mom. her favorite perfume was cinnabar so now when ever i smell cinnabar my mind goes right back to where i remember smelling her perfume the most and that was right in front of SFRTH. great question to the thread poster and great memories form all the intercotees.

jclightchasr
11-20-2007, 03:03 PM
How about those paper shopping bags that were mostly white but had pink and brown globe mickey designs on 'em?

I have a reciept dated from the mid 80s with a mickey globe emblem on it.

offwego
11-20-2007, 03:23 PM
I think our first one was roughly 77 or 78.

Space mountian with no restraints.

Brunch at the poly (and swiming afterward)
stuffed tomatoes at the crystal palace

(and the honey pot pooh bear as well)

ADevereaux
11-21-2007, 09:23 AM
-the paper straws
-the gritty soap
-mr toad!

I remember ALL these things!!!! :blush:

Tigerinvestigator
11-21-2007, 11:41 PM
I have some memories that have not been mentioned like:

The green and blue tile floors at the Polynesian.

The strong lime smell of the handstamp when you left the park. I loved that smell.

The fruit punch (through the pink and blue paper straws).

The box of raisins with every hamburger basket.

The polynesian burgers at adventureland veranda.

Swimming in the 7 seas lagoon and playing on the Poly's hills.

Late night walk-ons of all the rides especially If you had wings.

RedheadWriter
11-22-2007, 09:29 AM
[QUOTE=wedway76;1476761]I could be mistaken, but I THINK on our trip in 1996 was the last time I saw the powdered soap.

I actually called my mom and asked her about this because we both loved that soap. We both seem to recall that 1999 was the last trip year that we saw this soap. And :blush: LOL it was in the restrooms at Pecos Bill in MK.

Also, someone wrote that Space Mountain didnt have restraints....Yee Ha! I didn't know that!
Rachel

John L
11-22-2007, 10:52 PM
My mom was a great Mom but she really wasnt into the rides. So she had her favs and my brother inlaw took us kids for ours. I remember looking up at the overhead track of the TTA and seeing my mom asleep on the Blue Train. We rode a couple rides and came back.. she was still sleeping on the train.

We all asked her if any CM's ever said anything to her.. she said nope, she had ridden it over and over and just finally fell asleep. We knew that she had rode it for at least a few hours that day non-stop.

I will never forget that and I have been taking my kids for years now and we all pretend we are asleep on the TTA as first business. My kids love that story.

John L
11-22-2007, 11:06 PM
I remember when the little otters(?) that pop up out of the holes (and one from the ceiling) on splash mountain and they would squirt you in the face/chest area, one for each row of seats in the log.

EPCOT84
11-22-2007, 11:10 PM

Not a figment. In fact I just got through chatting about on another forum about it. Look for "Early '80's Emporium Bag" in "Nightlife, Shops & Waterparks. The thread has a link to a picture of one. Is that the one or is your memory of an earlier one?