PDA

View Full Version : How do you get to WDW?

caryrae
09-27-2006, 03:45 PM
How do you guys usaually like to get to WDW from were you live? We always fly being from Minnesota but someday I would love to drive down there.

I made the poll so you can choose more than one answer.

alpro2
09-27-2006, 03:56 PM
Being from NY, we have no desire to drive. Plus we want to get to WDW as soon as possible, and leave as late as possible.

DVC2004
09-27-2006, 03:57 PM
We fly, but we have driven twice. We drove most recently in March and I think that will be our last driving trip for many reasons.

Kags1200
09-27-2006, 04:05 PM
Drove once, back in 1977, with my then boyfriend, now DH of 27 years, in a green Mustang ,with NO AC & NO radio, we've been flying ever since...need I say more?

Bethanymouse
09-27-2006, 04:09 PM
We always fly :plane: . We are in NJ so we just drive on over to Newark and before we know it we are in Orlando! :wave:

disneymom15
09-27-2006, 04:21 PM
We Always Fly. When I Was A Kid, We Drove. 4 Kids In The Back Seat Of A Gran Prix (1972 Or 1973)

DunkieKong
09-27-2006, 04:23 PM
We usually drive when we head down, but last time we took the train. It was fantastic. We got on the train at 30th street station in Philadelphia, and got off in Kissimmee. The food was great, and the train ride is excellent. I highly reccomend it. :thumbsup:

The Bookseller
09-27-2006, 06:00 PM
I fly to WDW. Montreal is 2000 miles away and taking a bus would take 36 hours! the train cost more than the plane. Looks like I will keep on flying...

BronxTigger
09-27-2006, 06:15 PM
Oops. I missed the "you can choose more than one" thing until after I voted.

Living in NYC, I actually had to take a bus, then 3 trains, then the airplane, then the shuttle from MCO to get to Disney World last month. :D

Hmmm....it might be faster to drive myself!

Tink&Goofy
09-27-2006, 06:27 PM
Well, we are just about as far away as you can get, and still be in the same country :D , so there is really no other option but fly! It would take our entire vacation and then some, just to drive coast to coast and back again.

jec13
09-27-2006, 07:52 PM
My DW will not fly so we drive from NJ. We leave around 2AM to miss the traffic around DC. We stop over in South Carolina or Georgia in the afternoon. We leave early the next morning and get to WDW around noon. I'll be doing the trip again next September. (Can't wait)

JustCallMeSquishy
09-27-2006, 08:24 PM
Living here we have no choice to fly!! I can't wait for the day we move back to the mainland just to be able to buy much cheaper plane tix!! Hopefully that will be Aug 07...I wanna to during the F&W Festival!!

Dizneylady
09-27-2006, 10:43 PM
We always drive as I have a sister and a niece that still live in Fl. Also a brother in Savannah. We try to visit with them. And we also like shopping on the way home. :mickey:

kakn7294
09-27-2006, 10:48 PM
We usually drive - it's a lot cheaper and I like the freedom of coming and going when I please rather than on an airline schedule. I also can take whatever I want that fits in the car and not have to worry about airport security or lost luggage.

Lissa3427
09-27-2006, 10:52 PM
We have only been once this year and we drove from OH... Yikes, what a drive with a 5 and a 16 yr old. My kids were excellent but the drive is still long. Next year we plan on flying but... I have never flown because I am afraid of planes so we will see. When I checked the airfare and the cost of driving it still was best for us to drive but than again... less time in WDW. I think the choice is what you prefer... Have fun..

DisneyorBust
09-28-2006, 08:29 AM
We fly :plane: ! Although the cost (in dollars) is higher, we get more vacation time in WDW :mickey: . The trade off is worth it for us. Besides, after about 4 hours in a car I start to go :crazy: !

Iago
09-28-2006, 08:49 AM
We always fly, but I'd love to make a road trip someday. :car:

missouridisney
09-28-2006, 09:23 AM
I voted for fly because the last two times and the future one in 2 days we have flown, but all our other 10 or 11trips we drove we really have good memories of our trips and the kids liked it, but they are all older now so we would rather fly and get there faster,

Sunni9998
09-28-2006, 09:35 AM
I voted Fly - we've driven once and would never do it again!! Not my idea of fun. I'd rather jump on a plane and be there in 3 hours than drive for almost 24! The price is cheaper to drive but it's worth it to fly!!

Spaceship Tigger
09-28-2006, 09:37 AM
Our drive from East Tennessee to WDW is pretty easy at around 10 hours. The only bad part is Atlanta.

We did fly one time (on our honeymoon trip). We had a hard time getting back on the plane everything we had bought. In the van we have no problem, plus we save a lot of money on plane tickets.

Goofyguy2
09-28-2006, 09:58 AM
We fly coming from New Jersey but maybe someday we will do a disney road trip and drive down there. sounsds like fun to me !!!!

smokester653
09-28-2006, 10:14 AM
We drive very trip. Having four of us in the family and only living seven hours away we save a lot of cash driving. We get to spend the money at Disney while we are there. We get to buy those extras while we are there as well as catch other attractions if we have the time.

Dawnya
09-28-2006, 10:46 AM
Unfortunately, we drive from Missouri almost every year-it is a 20-22 hour drive and we drive it straight through!

wdwgrl377
09-28-2006, 10:51 AM
Well, I used to drive just 2 1/2 hours when I was in S.Florida, but now I have to fly - I could drive if I wanted to, but I know myself and I want to get there as fast as I can - so I prefer flying!! :mickey:

Mickey'sGirl
09-28-2006, 10:59 AM
We drive :car: for long stays (12 days or more) and fly :plane: for short stays (10 days or less). I prefer driving (even 23-24 hours away!) to killing time in an airport any day! We drove down in the summer with DS8 and DS2 making one overnight stop each way -- It was not a problem for any of us (gotta love portable DVD players!). We will be flying after Christmas, as we will only be going for 6 days. :mickey:

caryrae
09-28-2006, 03:39 PM
We have always flown down from Minnesota to WDW but I think it would be fun to drive down at least once. Take 2 weeks off of work 1 week for WDW and 1 week total for driving there and back. I have seen alot of this country on road trips. Seen alot out west, been down to Texas and out east to New York all road trips but we have never driven down that way towards Florida. I love road trips and seeing what's around this great country, there's some pretty cool stuff.

mamacatnv
09-28-2006, 03:46 PM
Map Quest says a gazillion miles and 48 hours of driving time - NO WAY, I hate the 15 minute drive into town.

Give me a couple of Xanax a glass or 2 of wine and a good book, before I know it I have arrived on the other side of the country.

SpecJoe Magic
09-29-2006, 02:14 AM
Our drive from East Tennessee to WDW is pretty easy at around 10 hours. The only bad part is Atlanta.

I completely understand and agree with that comment about Atlanta. It's better to be driving through there in the middle of the night.

We only live about 700 miles from WDW. We can make the drive in about 11 hours with a few short stops along the way. I actually enjoy the drive as part of the WDW experience even though the last few driving hours seem to become a little too long because of our anticipation. I guess I feel that way because that's how we've always gotten to WDW. Plus, I really don't enjoy flying, and it's much less expensive for us to drive.

leeanne1968
09-29-2006, 08:05 AM
I fly! I would never drive from Boston! 24 hours straight... no thank you! :plane:

Tink#64
09-29-2006, 08:38 AM
We fly :plane: ! Although the cost (in dollars) is higher, we get more vacation time in WDW :mickey: . The trade off is worth it for us. Besides, after about 4 hours in a car I start to go :crazy: !

That's us exactly!

Road trips make me crazy! And on "D" day we wake up & are just ready to be there and let the fun begin! :mickey:

grumpycajun
09-29-2006, 02:09 PM
We drive from Louisiana. It's farther than it looks on a map! Takes us right at 10 1/2 hrs. with a stop for lunch and a few gas / rest room breaks. We leave very early in the a.m., so we get there late afternoon. It's not so bad. :mickey:

marlyn
09-29-2006, 02:22 PM
:plane: I live so far that flying is the only option!

pogo
09-29-2006, 02:35 PM
We fly....... but we always take a :plane:

Just kidding ! :D

Chernabog1326
09-29-2006, 02:53 PM
Usually I drive. I love the proverbial road trip. It is a 20 hr drive for us. I have a portable dvd player with dual headrest screens for the kids (I make them wear their headphones) I have XM radio for me ( no commercials) and I even bring the Mp3 player for good measure. We have found it best to leave about 2 p.m. and stop north of D.C. for dinner to avoid the rush hour traffic. Then it's P.J.'s for the kids, a really large coffee for me, and through the night we go!! Usually, about 3 or 4 a.m. my DW will drive for 2 hrs through NC or SC and I can get a couple hrs of sleep and jump back behind the wheel as the sun comes up. Usually we arrive at WDW by lunchtime. Then it's another catnap and off to Epcot for a gentle entry into the week. On the return trip home, we leave at 3 a.m. and are home by midnight.

Sticky Mickey
09-29-2006, 10:22 PM
I have been flying the last 2 times but mostly drive I dont know but I love the drive (the 24 h. drive) we have been flying because we live in canada eh!

MsMin
09-30-2006, 03:19 PM
I love to drive. Several times we've had a couple fly to meet us. Once leaving BR we left about 2 hours before my son and got there less than 2 hours later. It's cheaper for us to drive and I love having my car to go to the outlet mall and leaving at midnight on our last night. :minnie:

mickeyfan2001
09-30-2006, 08:11 PM
Living in North Florida we :car: ofcourse..But even living 3 hours away that last little stretch feels like forever...Just can't wait to get there...

QTPie68
09-30-2006, 08:25 PM
We have done two different ways...........we have done the Auto Train twice and flown three times.

2Epcot
09-30-2006, 09:06 PM
My first two trips to WDW my family drove from Arizona, but we were also visiting relatives in the South. All of my trips since the first two I've flown. Takes too much time out of the trip to drive when your coming from the west coast.

LudwigVonDrake
10-01-2006, 10:52 AM
I always fly. Land at MCO and get into a Mears and now ME bus and get driven to WDW. I NEVER rent a car :mickey:

dlpmikki
10-01-2006, 01:21 PM
We fly from the UK. A cruise might be a fun way to get there but I think I would begrudge the time that I might have been spending at Disney :mickey:

SBETigg
10-01-2006, 01:23 PM
We're in Massachusetts, and flying is preferable for us so that we can spend most of our vacation time at WDW and not on the road.

RedSoxFan
10-01-2006, 05:16 PM
We always fly, also. Too far away to drive.

tinktude
10-01-2006, 05:52 PM
DH does not do driving trips, so we fly. Usually southwest, on a ding special.

Mickey'sGirl
10-01-2006, 06:01 PM
We fly from the UK. A cruise might be a fun way to get there but I think I would begrudge the time that I might have been spending at Disney :mickey:
You don't want to attempt a drive then, do you?! Could you imagine a Chunnel to North America?? :mickey:

Dreamer7080
10-01-2006, 11:08 PM
We're just over an hour away, so we drive. :cool:

big blue and hairy
10-02-2006, 08:52 AM
Being less than eight hours away in Myrtle Beach, we always drive. Other than the nitwits on I-95 and I-4, it's an easy drive. Discovering the Greenway certainly helped for the last hour of the trip!

:sulley:

pogo
10-02-2006, 01:16 PM
Mickey'sGirl Quote:

You don't want to attempt a drive then, do you?! Could you imagine a Chunnel to North America??

Chunnel ????? You still a little tipsy from our Happy Friday party last week cousin ? :silly: :haha: :D

showmethemouse
10-03-2006, 12:02 PM
love to fly there in 1hour and 50 minutes in the parks around 1030am . there early and stay late. the longer at disney the better :cloud9: :tink: :smickey:

GiltterDisneyGirl
10-06-2006, 12:39 AM
My family and I drive a day and a helf from Texas to orlando!

dlpmikki
10-06-2006, 09:01 AM
You don't want to attempt a drive then, do you?! Could you imagine a Chunnel to North America?? :mickey:
I have done the Chunnel to France (CHannel tUNNEL is where the expression comes from Pogo) but the thought of one all the way to the US would be terrifying! It's only 20 minutes and not very deep seas to get to France - the Atlantic would be another proposition altogether! :covered: Now this might work! :D :teleport:

pogo
10-06-2006, 11:29 AM
dlpmikki Quote:

I have done the Chunnel to France (CHannel tUNNEL is where the expression comes from Pogo) but the thought of one all the way to the US would be terrifying!

:doh: I've lived a sheltered life for sure ! :D

Sorry for the tipsy comment, cousin. :blush: Maybe I've had too many :marg: :beer: ;)

Mickey'sGirl
10-06-2006, 12:15 PM
Sorry for the tipsy comment, cousin. :blush: Maybe I've had too many :marg: :beer: ;)
Hey man, you haven't had to deal with me after a Lapu Lapu! :papple: I thought you were referring to the length of the trip in a tunnel under the Atlantic Ocean, and making a comment on my mental state..... :confused: Maybe I need another :papple:!
Happy weekend all! :mickey:

pogo
10-06-2006, 02:07 PM
Mickey'sGirl Quote:
Originally Posted by pogo
Sorry for the tipsy comment, cousin. Maybe I've had too many

Hey man, you haven't had to deal with me after a Lapu Lapu! I thought you were referring to the length of the trip in a tunnel under the Atlantic Ocean, and making a comment on my mental state..... Maybe I need another !
Happy weekend all!
I can't wait to have a Lapu lapu :papple: with you and Brian !
I'm still hoping for April but I don't know. :D

caryrae
02-24-2007, 10:28 AM
I would love to take 2 weeks and use 1 week for driving to DW and back home to Minnesota. Than use the other week for DW.

jefmblrd
02-24-2007, 10:54 AM
Since we're coming from Cape Cod, Massachusetts, we always fly; it only takes four hours. It's usually pretty cold up here when we leave, so it's fun to hit the warm Florida air when we get off the plane.

BMan62
02-24-2007, 01:53 PM
For us, flying is much more realistic than driving. 16 - 20 hours in a vehicle vs. 2 hours 20 minutes in an airplane - one way. OK, add in 1 hour drive to the airport and 30 minutes to the resort from the airport, but that still leaves the total travel time at less than 4 hours - one way.

That's 24 - 32 more hours at WDW per trip!!!!

dizneemommy
02-24-2007, 06:49 PM
:car: We'll be driving for my kids' first trip this June!! (from Northeast GA--about 9 hrs.) My DH and I drove, with 10 other folks in a mini-caravan, the first and only other time I've been--FUN! Of course, this time we'll be occupying two kids!

Dizneemommy

steamboat willy
02-25-2007, 01:00 PM
Depends on the trip, usually we drive down from NC :drive: :car: takes about 10 hours. Leave the day before check in and drive as far as possible before eyes are ready to go shut which gets us well over halfway and hopefully into Florida. Makes the morning drive into The World very short and gets the most out of Check-In day. After Check-In, we get out to the pool and maybe a lunch at Rainforest Cafe. Looking forward to September 29th, 2007!
:vacation: :vacation: :vacation:

steamboat willy
02-25-2007, 01:07 PM
Being less than eight hours away in Myrtle Beach, we always drive. Other than the nitwits on I-95 and I-4, it's an easy drive. Discovering the Greenway certainly helped for the last hour of the trip!

:sulley:

WHAT IS THE GREENWAY?

May524
02-25-2007, 02:41 PM
I've done both, but prefer flying MUCH more! It's about ten hours...but the way my party stops, it is always much much more (more like 12-14) and we always drive so much, then sleep somewhere. I just can't get the hour and a half flight from New Orleans to Orlando...ahh, to me it's worth the money! :cool:

sneezyone
02-26-2007, 10:42 AM
We have done two different ways...........we have done the Auto Train twice and flown three times.

With this trip, we'll have taken the Autotrain 3 times. It's so worth it. You don't have the problems with lack of room or having to send stuff home because as long as it fits in your car, you can take it with you. You also don't have the hassles with airport security or getting a rental car (we visit family in Clearwarter so we need a car.) it's really a great way to go!:number1: :thumbsup: :cool:

We've flown before (NEVER arrive on a saturday!)

We've driven 2xs, but last time, we got a stone in the windshield and it cracked...then we saw an accident where a motorcycle rider was killed. It was very bloody and horrific as his helmet had been knocked off. I'm still traumatized by that and have NO desire to drive ever again!:(

DisneyGRL7
02-26-2007, 10:19 PM
We fly, but when I was younger, our whole family would spend some time at my grandparent's house in Fort Meyers for a few days then make the 4-5 hour drive to Orlando (I think it's about that long, but as a kid I guess my sense of time may have been messed up). Of course, the best part of the entire ride, and possibly one of the best feelings ever, was pulling up to the front gate. :cloud9:

Speedy1998
02-26-2007, 10:32 PM
I prefer to Drive to save money, DW prefers to fly to save her sanity.

spoiledraf
02-27-2007, 09:43 AM
We drove the first few times, then flew until last year, when we drove for the first time in 25 years. We did an all nighter from NE ohio, got to our off site around noon (we stayed at a Best Western for $69). After checking in, we went over to the Boardwalk, had lunch, walked around the lake and had some ice cream at Beaches and Cream and went back to our room where we calapsed in bed at around 5:30. We were up at six and checked into the GF by seven and at breakfast before 8 and in AK by 9. Our last day, we got a room at Riverside to save a few bucks and had our luggage transferred over there. We didn't get back to our room untill 11:30. We certainly got every minute of our vacation in that visit.

Next day we drove up to Atlanta to visit our daughter a couple days, then back to Ohio.

Donald Duck
05-24-2007, 02:21 PM
We take the Auto Train. It's about a 4 1/2 drive from NY to Lorton, VA. The train arrives in Sanford, FL around 8:30 AM. It's about a 1/2 hour drive to Disney from there.

I don't like flying and my wife doesn't like driving.

:mickey:

Diznee4Me
05-24-2007, 02:41 PM
We drive - 426 miles from our house to Coronado Springs Resort!:thumbsup:

I can make it in about eight hours but actually made it home Christmas Eve 06 in seven. No traffic at all!

TennesseeTink
05-24-2007, 03:27 PM
We have always driven - 10 hour drive from here. Not too bad, I've always liked road trips. DH works for a car rental company so he gets a free minivan w/satellite radio(Radio Disney!)and a DVD player. Watch a few movies and before you know it, WDW!!! Last time we left on a Friday and drove halfway, stopped for the night and got to WDW around noon the next day. It was a bit of a pain to unpack our carefully organized luggage for one night and try to get it all back in the van the same way it was. I think I'd prefer to drive straight through.:thumbsup:

GrmGrninGost
05-24-2007, 09:56 PM
We have always driven. It takes us about 13 hours. It's usually a good family time together!:mickey:

Mom2princesses
05-24-2007, 10:09 PM
We live in NJ and there is NO way you will get me to drive all the way to Orlando in a car with a 10 yo and 3 yo!!! I can't even imagine how many "Are we there yets" we would be subjected to and that is just cruel and unusual punishment!! So we fly.

k_reile
05-25-2007, 11:53 AM
I like to fly so we can spend some more time there...but when I suggested this trip to DH he wanted to drive and take down his parents huge 5th wheel. I said we can fly this time since we only have 7 days and next time we can take some more time off and drive down and camp there.

crazeedizneefinatic
05-25-2007, 12:30 PM
We have done both. Before my son my Husband and I drove twice. That's enough in my book. The drive is gruelling to say the least. I cannot imagine driving with children and I consider my son to be an easy traveler. Plus now with gas prices being so outrageous it's cheaper to fly! $59 airfare cannot be beat! The only way I would ever consider driving again would be in a motorhome. Can you imgaine the gas cost for that, lol!?!

Wrigley
05-25-2007, 09:46 PM
We are from Illinois and for many years we did the drive. The drive down was alright because we were excited about getting to Disney, but the drive back was just awful because the vacation was over. So, we got smart and have since flown down. I will always fly from now on!

pook@wdw
05-26-2007, 03:50 PM
We have flown and driven. And I definitely prefer flying! My DH & DD, on the other hand, likes to drive! So we're going to compromise. On our next trip, DD will have finally have her license, and I told her she could drive down, driver over to Orlando International, and pick her mamma up !:D

wrfd18
05-26-2007, 04:53 PM
I voted for drive and fly, most trips I drove this trip in July we will fly leave st. louis @ 6:00 a.m arrive at MCO @ 10:38 a.m. can't bet that. Plus by flying this time we get 2 extra days @ WDW.:joy:

klynch7
05-27-2007, 10:42 AM
We always have such a large group (20-30 people) because we have such a large family that it makes NO sense to fly. So we always drive the twelve hours to get there. We leave at like 5 am and drive pretty straight there, though we do stop at the FL state line to get some OJ.

Mickey91
05-27-2007, 02:15 PM
We drive. Haven't seen the financial benefits yet of flying. The time saved would be nice though.

princessjojo
05-27-2007, 07:54 PM
Can you say "he's looking at me; he's touching me; I've got to go to the bathroom and I'm not going to go in a bottle either; :dizzy:he's on my side of the seat; he won't share this or that!" Now say it for 10-12 hours and you will see why we fly :plane:.

crazypoohbear
05-27-2007, 10:14 PM
We've always flown but I would like to drive down if I have the money and time to really see the country driving
This year for 3 of us the air fare was 450.00 round trip.
With gas prices going through the roof it was cheaper to fly than it would have been to drive.:mad::confused: