View Full Version : Pixie Dust for Teen *Updated 8/3/07*

Jeri Lynn
08-11-2006, 07:13 AM
My SIL emailed me yesterday. Her best friends son was tubing on a nearby lake and was struck by a jet-ski.

He is in critical condition with massive head injuries. The injuries are too many to list and much of his condition/recovery is uncertain.

The doctors did not think he would survive, but after emergency surgery to remove part of his skull to relieve the swelling in his brain, he is showing signs of improvement, although they do not know the extent, if any, of brain damage or paralysis.

He was to start college in 8 days.

He is 18 years old, and is an athlete, so luckily his body is young and strong.

This happened Tuesday night and he is still hanging on.

Prayers and pixie dust from everyone would help right now.

I can't even begin to imagine what his family is going through. :(

08-11-2006, 07:46 AM
Prayers and pixie dust for the family. :pixie:

08-11-2006, 07:46 AM
This is so sad. He'll be in my prayers.
Pixie Dust on the way
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :magic: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

08-11-2006, 07:50 AM
I am sorry for the bad news. The family must be devastated. :pixie: for the boy and the family.

08-11-2006, 08:12 AM
:pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: I hope he will pull through. Please keep us posted.

08-11-2006, 08:33 AM
What a terrible accident. Pixie dust and a lot of it is on
the way from Florida to the young man and his family.
I will pray for him. :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

08-11-2006, 08:37 AM
Prayers coming from Maine here. This is so sad. I hope he is ok.

08-11-2006, 08:52 AM
:pixie: Hope he recovers quickly and without complications!

08-11-2006, 09:53 AM
More prayers and pixie dust. What a sad reminder of how life can change in an instant.

Please update us when you can.

08-11-2006, 10:04 AM
pixie dust and prayers for this young man and his family...I hope you'll be able to update us with good news soon.

08-11-2006, 10:05 AM
I worry about this kind of thing every time we go out tubing. You really have to be conscious about everything going on around you, especially other boater and jet skiers. You just never know.

I sure hope this boy recovers. This must be devastating for his family. :magic:

08-11-2006, 10:14 AM
:pixie: for the entire family!

08-11-2006, 10:32 AM
Prayers and Pixie dust on the way for him and his family!!

:pixie: :pixie:

08-11-2006, 10:32 AM
:pixie: :pixie: :pixie: and prayers

08-11-2006, 10:42 AM
How sad. My thoughts and prayers are with this young man and his family. :angel:

08-11-2006, 11:01 AM
:pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

08-11-2006, 11:14 AM
:pixie: :pixie: :pixie: pixie dust and prayer for him and his family.

08-11-2006, 12:00 PM
:pixie: and prayers for full, speedy recovery!

08-11-2006, 12:15 PM
Prayers and :pixie: for this young man and his family.

08-11-2006, 12:28 PM
:pixie: :pixie: :pixie: for him and the family. How terrible.

C & H
08-11-2006, 12:40 PM
My thoughts & prayers for this young man & his family.

Please keep up updated ....

08-11-2006, 01:13 PM
Oh my gosh, I think this was the accident I saw on our local news. It sounded horrible.

:pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

08-11-2006, 03:14 PM
How tragic. :(

The young man and his family will be in my prayers. :pixie:

08-11-2006, 03:18 PM
That is so sad. I wish the best of luck to you and your family and to a speedy recovery! :pixie: :pixie:

08-11-2006, 09:02 PM
My prayers go out to he and his family.

Jeri Lynn
08-11-2006, 09:08 PM
Thank you everyone for your prayers. My SIL emailed me yesterday and said that the MRI showed that the brain damage may not be as extensive as they thought it might be, they won't know more until the swelling subsides. They were also inserting a feeding tube. He is still in a medically induced coma.

Today they sent him for another MRI but I did not hear from my SIL about the results. She is going to spend the night with her friend (his mother), his parents are divorced.

Besides the massive head injuries, he also lost all of his teeth, has a broken shoulder and I believe a broken arm.

His poor body is in tough shape.

08-11-2006, 09:51 PM
Pixie Dust and prayers to this young man and his family :pixie: :pixie:

I have been through an experience with my younger sister having a serious head injury due to a car accident many years ago and I am happy to say she is doing very well now. Please keep the faith and believe that prayers are answered!

Please keep us posted.

08-11-2006, 10:04 PM
Prayers are going out for him and his family.. Much Pixie Dust coming your way for their family :pixie: :pixie: :pixie:
How sad !!!

08-11-2006, 10:07 PM
Keeping him in my thoughts and prayers. :pixie: for his recovery.

08-11-2006, 10:19 PM
What a terrible accident! I will add this young man to my prayers.

Jeri Lynn
08-14-2006, 04:40 PM
I just received a call from my SIL. Unfortunately the news is not good.

Earlier in the day the young man in the accident was taken off the respirator and breathing on his own, everyone thought this was a good sign.

However, the doctor's feel that although is his body is healing his brain will not heal and he will most likely remain in a coma.

My SIL cannot accept this at this time and feels it is too early to really tell. My SIL's best friend will not leave her son's room.

I cannot imagine the agony his parents are in.
It is a very sad day.

08-15-2006, 10:35 PM
So Sorry !!!
:angel: :angel: :angel:

08-15-2006, 10:44 PM
Prayers headed your way.

08-16-2006, 03:26 AM
:angel: :angel: Many thoughts and prayers for this young man & his family....can't imagine what hisparents are going thru. :(

Jeri Lynn
08-16-2006, 06:34 AM
Thank you everyone for your continued prayers. Nothing has really changed since my last post.

If Addison comes out of the coma the doctors feel he would be in a vegetative state. They feel there was just too much damage to his brain, his brain stem, he also had brain lesions and oxygen deprivation.

My SIL tells me that his Mom is still hoping for a miracle and is not ready to accept what the doctors are telling them.

It has been a very sad week for his family. :(

The Bookseller
08-16-2006, 07:20 AM
:pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

08-16-2006, 09:17 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with the young man and his family.

08-16-2006, 09:26 AM
This is such sad news. What an awful thing for the family to go through. Much :pixie: to them (and prayers for wisdom to their :doctor: ).

Can't wait for my DS to get home from camp to give him a big hug.

08-16-2006, 09:53 AM
i hate hearing things like this....i hope for the best for this family!!! please continue to keep us updated!
some pixie dust for the family...hopefully it will help!!!!! :mickey:

:pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

08-16-2006, 10:59 AM
:hug: :hug: for the family this must be devastating
:pixie: :pixie: :pixie: for a miracle
:angel: to watch over the young man and his mom

Is this the accident on Lake Quinsig???

The one where the man who hit the boy was so indignant? I remember reading the article and wanting to strangle the man!

I pray that by some miracle the boy recovers. I cannot even fathom what his mom is going through
I"ll keep them all in my prayers
Shrewsbury has lost several young people in the last couple of weeks.

08-16-2006, 11:55 AM
:( That is so sad...please keep us posted. I can't imagine what his poor mother must be going through.
:pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

Jeri Lynn
08-16-2006, 12:11 PM
Yes, this was the accident on Lake Quinsig last Tuesday night.

I got an email from my SIL this morning, she has been spending each night at the hospital with her best friend.

She said Addison's mother is sure that he knows something because his blood pressure rises when she speaks to him...the doctor's are sticking with his prognosis that he will be in a vegetative state should he awake from his coma.

His coma had been induced but he is now in the coma on his own.

They are doing reconstructive surgery to his face and my SIL said he will have quite a scar on his cheek but most of the scarring will be below his hairline.

There is a benefit for his family this weekend.

08-19-2006, 02:04 PM
How sad. I hope this family gets a miracle please keep us updated.

Jeri Lynn
08-21-2006, 06:26 PM
I received in update today on Addison.

Last week he was supposed to have his eye socket reconstructed and also have his jaw set, but he developed pnemonia. The surgery had to be postponed.

Today he had that surgery. He is still in a coma and still experiencing seizures.

His mother is going to try and get him transferred to the Spaulding Clinic in Boston.

The prognosis has not changed.

The fundraiser held by his friends was a very big success, there was a very nice article in the Worcester Telegram and Gazette today.

Prayers are still needed and appreciated by his family and friends.


08-21-2006, 07:11 PM
Here's lots of pixie dust coming your way. :pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

I lost a friend in a boating accident in high school. Just wish so many accidents wouldn't occur every year. :(

08-21-2006, 07:12 PM
Still on the prayer list.

08-21-2006, 07:12 PM
He and his family are still in my thoughts and prayers.

08-21-2006, 09:20 PM
Continued prayers for the young man and his family. I truly believe miracles happen and I sincerely hope you see one in this boy. I remember seeing a medical program about a man from Arkansas who came out of a twenty year coma a couple of years ago and the doctors have no idea how this happened.

08-21-2006, 09:55 PM
My thoughts and prayers for the young man and his family. Please keep us posted as to how he and his mom are doing.

08-21-2006, 11:01 PM
Prayers for this young man.... :angel: :angel:
My sister and I were just talking about how sad this situation is last week, (She turned me on to intercot). We are thinking about and praying for this family...

:pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

Jeri Lynn
08-29-2006, 09:51 AM
Addison was transferred to the Spaulding Rehab hospital yesterday. They deal with serious head injury patients.

They will evaluate him for approximately three weeks and if they cannot rehabilitate him (which is doubtful) then he will either be moved into a nursing home or will go home with nursing care. :(

The doctor's have not changed his prognosis. They do not feel that he will recover from these serious injuries.

His Mom is with him in Boston, but is only allowed to see him during visiting hours. She is looking for a place to reside in Boston for the next three weeks. My SIL is looking to see if staying at the Ronald McDonald house would be possible.

It is a very sad prognosis for someone so young who should have been in his first year of college.

Thanks for your continued prayers and thoughts.

08-29-2006, 10:58 AM
Still praying...still hoping...

A friend of mine had fractured his skull, and a small piece of his skull had actually punctured his brain....
the doctors at the hospital gave up on him, and said he wouldn't even live...then, after a couple of days, decided he would live, but would never leave his coma...then a couple of days later decided that he would leave his coma, but be brain damaged...then just paralyzed...then, when he walked out of the hospital by his own strength just three weeks later, they all cheered and re-evaluated what happened.

I can only hope and pray that the same happens for this young man.

08-30-2006, 05:15 PM
My prayers are with this family and this very young man, who is fighting for his life.

As boaters, and parents, we always worry. Our kids love to tube, and we go in quieter parts of our lake to do it, but you never know what someone else is going to do. I am so sad for this family.


Jeri Lynn
09-15-2006, 04:32 PM
Hi Everyone,
As some of you have read I asked for prayers for Addison, a young man who was seriously injured by a jet-ski about a month ago. He is the son of my SIL's best friend.

Since the end of August Addison has been at the Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital in Boston. They are well known in dealing with brain injury patients.

For those of you who would like to continue to see the updates posted by his mother you can go to the Spaulding Hospital Website and then click on "Find A Location" and then on the right hand side you will see a link for Care Pages. You will need to put Addison's name in there as: AddisonRussell

They also require you to "register" and just give yourself a sign-in name and password.

Moderators: I hope it is ok to post this.

Addison has had some little shows of progress but no- one really will know until he is out of his coma.

Continued prayers are appreciated.

Jeri Lynn
09-22-2006, 02:15 PM
Here is the latest update on Addison from his Mom, Gail.

Addison has had a great week. He is definitely having more "awake"
times. Several times lately he seems to be really trying to pull his
arms upward and lifting his head and shoulders off the bed/pillow. He
seems to be tracking by turning his head - I am not sure yet if he is
doing this to sound or sight. Tuesday he had his first shower – let me
tell you, he must have thoroughly enjoyed feeling that clean because it
sure seemed like he was sleeping as content as a baby!
Wednesday when the therapist asked him to kick a ball (it was one of
those big yoga balls) with his left leg, you could see him so, so slowly
move his leg forward as if trying to do just that. His dad and
grandmother were also there to watch and take part in the therapy
session and were so excited! Again on Thursday, the therapist asked him
to kick the ball, this time he did it twice!!
Last night Aaron was talking with Addison and asked him to lift his head
toward him. He did this a few times. You can see the determination in
the way he is trying to move. It takes a lot out of him to do this, but
it seems he does not want to give up!
I have read that patients generally follow a pattern of recovery after a
severe brain injury, that each patient is different and may not follow
the stages exactly, and sometimes patients vary in the amount of time at
each stage of their recovery. The stages are (1) Unresponsiveness; (2)
Early Responses; (3) Agitated and Confused and (4) Higher Level Responses.
It appears Addison is beginning to respond to simple commands. Our goal
now is for increased consistency of responses.

09-24-2006, 07:34 PM
That's great news!! I hope he keeps recovering as fast or faster than he already is. He sounds like he definitely has the will to pull through this.
:cheer: :cheer: :pixie: :pixie:

09-25-2006, 12:13 PM
I'm so glad to hear there's hope. Doctor's are wonderful but they don't always know everything.

My prayers are with him that he makes the most of his recovery. I had a friend with a terrible brain injury following an accident. He has a few issues with short term memory but other than that he's recovered wonderfully.

09-25-2006, 12:31 PM
I am so happy that Addison is doing better! More prayers and pixie dust for his continued recovery. This is wonderful news.

09-25-2006, 04:28 PM
That is great news. Will keep him in my prayers. I know he has a long way to go but getting over the first obstacle of response vs no response is a great one. :pixie: :angel:

09-26-2006, 03:22 PM
YEAH!! GO ADDISON!! Hang in there buddy, we're all pullin for you. You show them doctors that all it takes is a little faith and trust...oh yeah, and a little pixie dust!!

<3 Robyn:pixie:

09-26-2006, 04:29 PM
yeah!! Im so excited for him I'm even crying!!

:pixie: :pixie:

09-26-2006, 07:19 PM
:pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: Continued prayers for Addison.
Spaulding is a great place for him to be at. Hopefully miracles will continue to happen for this young man and his family!

The Bookseller
09-26-2006, 08:05 PM
:pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

Let's keep on pushing the pixie dust out! Our friend Addison seems to react to it! :)

09-26-2006, 09:00 PM
Thanks for keeping us updated. I know he is in everyone's thoughts and prayers.

09-26-2006, 11:00 PM
Continue prayers and pixie dust for Addison's recovery. :pixie:

09-26-2006, 11:03 PM
Continue prayers and pixie dust for Addison's recovery. :pixie:


09-27-2006, 04:55 PM
:pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

Jeri Lynn
02-07-2007, 08:46 AM
I haven't posted an update on Addison for quite a while and I thought I should let all of you who are sending your prayers for him how he is doing.

After spending a few months at the Spaulding Rehab Hospital in Boston he has now been moved to the Crotched Mountain Rehab hospital in Greenfield NH.

Addison is still considered to be in a coma...he is not speaking yet, although he does make attempts. He does move his arms and legs when asked to, but it is very strenuous and tiring for him to do these things.

Addison is returning to Worcester MA tomorrow to have the piece of his skull which was removed after the accident put back in place.

Gail, Addison's mom, has been a pillar of strength through this entire ordeal. She has spent every day with him since the accident. Things will be harder now since he is in NH, but she felt that this would be the best place for him.

Continued pixie dust and prayers for Addison would be appreciated....it has been a long time since August and it looks like he will have months, if not years to hopefully a complete recovery.

02-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the update, Jeri. It certainly does sound like he has a long road ahead but it's great that he is improving. Continued prayers and pixie dust for Addison and his family. I can't imagine how difficult this has been for everyone.

The Bookseller
02-07-2007, 11:43 AM
This is a sad story from day one. Addison got a long recovery road in front of him. Let's hope for the best. Here's some :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: for him, his entire family and friends.

02-07-2007, 12:05 PM
I just came across this thread...how sad for this to have happened to this young man and his family!

I am adding him to my prayer list now.

Jeri Lynn
02-26-2007, 08:47 PM
Hi Everyone,
I put an update on the boards a couple weeks back on Addison...somehow the gremlin's got it and it' is lost in cyberspace...so I wanted to update all of you once again.

Most of you know that I wrote asking for prayers for Addison. Addison is the son of my SIL's best friend. He was just about to enter his first year of college (Emmanuel in Boston) when he was tubing on a local lake and was struck by a jet-ski.

His injuries were massive and he spent quite a bit of time in ICU and was then transferred to Spaulding Rehab in Boston for a few months.

He has now been transferred to Crotched Mountain Rehab in Greenfield NH. He was recently sent back to Worcester to have his bone flap put back in place and was sent right back to the mountain the next day.

The following is an update from his mom, I'll ask again for continued prayers as this young man works towards recovery. My SIL told me today that Addison is no longer considered to be in a coma, which is great news. Hopefully he will be able to speak soon, things change every day for him.

February 26, 2007 at 08:45 AM EST
FYI - There will be a benefit show for Addison at Oxford High School, Oxford, MA, on Sunday, April 1 (his birthday). Details will be forthcoming very soon.

February 23, 2007 at 12:55 PM EST
Monday the staples were removed from Addison’s head. Aaron was there and said that Addison did not even flinch! HE NOW HAS A “BUZZ CUT”!!! - Tuesday evening, Nick, one of the aides, shaved his head so that his hair would grow in the same on both sides. He really does look good. I hate to keep saying it, but every day he changes - everyone comments on how he is getting more facial expressions. He’s had a lot of movement in his left hand – he’s been opening his fingers and lifting his hand a lot. He has even been moving his left leg quite a bit. Judy, Addison’s PT, put him on the tilt table on Monday and Tuesday, and she feels he is now ready to tolerate the tilt table twice a day, in addition to his regular physical therapy sessions, once in the morning and then again in the evening before he gets ready to turn in for the night. His now weighs 145 pounds.
February 16, 2007 at 04:03 PM EST
It’s been two weeks now since our arrival at “the Mountain” and one week since Addison’s surgery. The bandages were removed from his head on Sunday and revealed 45 staples. The swelling in his head is beginning to go down. His eyes have been wide open and he really looks good. He hates to cough and really holds back from doing so. We are assuming that because there is still swelling that his head must throb when he does cough. I cannot wait for this to pass!! I hate to see him in pain. His therapy sessions have been going good though the therapists are going easy on him because of the swelling. We are getting to meet more of the aides and nurses as well as other clients and their families. Wednesday was the first day we started mingling in the activity and dining rooms with some of the other clients. I cannot lie, I feel a tremendous amount of sadness (and maybe a little bit of fear of the unknown) and at times need to turn away as tears gently fall or simply walk away- walk away to again gather the strength to look forward to the tomorrows that we are thankful to have with Addison. As Eleanor Roosevelt said: “We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face ... we must do that which we think we cannot.”

02-26-2007, 09:39 PM
May God continue to strengthen and Bless Addison, his family and those involved in all aspects of his care.

Miracles do happen. Keep the faith.


02-27-2007, 01:28 AM
More :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: and prayers on the way. Thanks for the update.

02-27-2007, 12:04 PM
Jeri Lynn, thanks so much for the updates. Addison continues on our prayer list.

Having been the beneficiary of pixie dust on more than one occasion, I can vouch for its efficacy. So here's a storm of it for Addison:

:pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

and another bunch for his mom!

:pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

02-28-2007, 10:04 AM
im glad he is doing better since the last time i commented on this thread..hes some more pixie dust for him and his family...hopefully it will keep working!! thank you for keeping us updated!!

:pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

03-01-2007, 10:18 AM
Sending more :pixie: I'm impressed w/ his progress and sending more :pixie: so that he will continue to make great strides toward a recovery.

The Bookseller
03-02-2007, 09:43 PM
I keep knocking on wood!

:pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

03-04-2007, 08:41 PM
It sounds like he's making progress in leaps and bounds. More power to him. Hopefully he'll be back on his feet before you know it! Here's more Pixie dust heading his way.:pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

Jeri Lynn
05-12-2007, 07:55 AM
Hi Everyone, here is the latest update on Addison, it appears that his progress is coming right along. If you want to read his full story and all his progress reports you can go to carepages.com and put in Addison Russell.
Thanks for your continued prayers

May 11, 2007 at 10:25 AM EDT
Last week I started working with Addison on opening and closing his right hand. When I asked him to open his right hand he did; I then asked him to close his hand and he did. I asked him to do this several times and he continued to do so. I then asked him to point the index finger on his right hand – he did – we repeated this exercise a few more times. I cannot believe how he instantaneously completes the tasks he is asked to do. Over the weekend he also started telling me, not in conventional ways, but in his own way that he needed his nose cleaned; his mouth wiped. In fact, he got very upset when I wiped his mouth – I then gave him a tissue and he wiped his own mouth! He also started rubbing his eyes on Sunday – since they looked irritated I asked him if his eyes hurt and he gave me a big thumbs up. I spoke with the nurse who in turn talked with the doctor and he is now on allergy medicine. He was also letting me know that something was wrong with the AFO for his right foot. When I went to put it on, he was kicking his leg and shaking his arm. He was letting me know he did not want it on. He was also giving us a hard time in the transfer to his wheel chair. I looked at his foot and the “pressure sore” he had from his previous casting series (which was healed) was pretty red. I spoke to the nurse and we decided that until PT cleared him, that we should leave the AFO’s off.

Thursday we went back to the neurosurgeon for Addison’s post-op visit…..Dr. Sungarian was extremely pleased with Addison’s progress and stated quite a few times how much Addison had changed since he last saw him!!! Addison gave him a thumb’s up and opened and closed his hand on command as well as pointed the index finger on his right hand….when Pat, the LNA who accompanied/drove us, and I left we were elated with Dr. Sungarian’s delightful surprise in seeing Addison. Addison will be going back again in two to three weeks for another Cat-Scan and visit to Dr. Sungarian.

I save the best for last……This last week we have all been so utterly pleased….Addison has started using his head to indicate yes and no!!!!! He makes me laugh….. when I ask him to open his mouth so that I can brush his teeth, he gives me a little shake of his head to indicate “no”…. It’s almost like he’s playing a game with me….. I guess it is his form of taking control…..

05-12-2007, 08:10 AM
Continue prayers and :pixie: for Addison and his family.

05-12-2007, 12:31 PM
I'm so happy that he is doing so well. More prayers and :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: on the way. Thanks for the update:pixie:

05-13-2007, 12:39 AM
That's so great. He's a very strong young man mentally and that's waht will get him through and back on his feet. More prayers and pixie dust for his continued recovery.

Jeri Lynn
06-13-2007, 05:53 PM
How wonderful!! Addison has spoken his first words!!

June 08, 2007 at 09:23 AM EDT

Addison spoke those words twice the other night – he was tired and just a tad grumpy, lol…… Nick, his LNA, Dianna, his nurse, and I were in the room doing all the nightly things that needed to be done after his shower when he told me first to “leave me alone” – a short while later he told Nick to also “leave me alone”!… We looked at each other and asked him if that was what he said and he gave us a thumbs up -We were all just so thrilled!!..

Tuesday was a trip to Worcester for another follow-up CT scan. Dr. Sungarian was thrilled with Addison’s progress and commented on how much more aware he was from the last visit. He adjusted the shunt so that a bit more fluid would drain and indicated that we may see even more progress. We were also fortunate to get an appointment with the ophthalmologist on Tuesday as well. I cannot tell you how proud we were/are of Addison – he cooperated with everything that he was asked to do and did not even bring his hand up to stop the doctor when he was poking and opening his eye. I believe it was because he is aware enough to know that the doctor was helping him to ease any discomfort he is having with his eye. It is dry eye – so he has a couple of ointments that will need to be put in a few times during the day. In about four to six weeks he’ll be returning to Worcester for follow-up visits with each doctor. He has a vision examination at the Mountain on the 11th .

Addison has been doing great in PT – this week with Leslie and Steve (a new rehab tech) and Judy assisting, Addison stood at the platform walker and actively extended his left knee to stand for about one minute with help from all therapists at first - then just Steve and Leslie when his left knee became active!!! They were thrilled. He repeated this two times. Afterward he was exhausted! He has also been assisting us by “bridging” when getting dressed and undressed.

In speech and OT he has had pudding and yogurt tasting trials. On the first trial he shows signs of strong swallows and good tongue movement. On the second trial he seems to have less initiation to swallow and requires increased verbal and tactile cues – we’re not sure what he thinks or feels during his “tasting trials” - but feel confident that given a bit more time he’ll begin to accept more during each session. Lauren indicated that after a few attempts at the communication board he got frustrated..….

The fishing derby – it was a beautiful sunny day and it was nice to be out getting fresh air with a change of scenery. We had many “nibbles” but unfortunately did not catch a fish!! We actually cheated getting the line in the water – casting was a real challenge for us!! LOL True fishermen we are not!! Addison was able to reel in the line with the adaptive pole by pulling back on a lever. Some of the other clients were much more successful - I think all in all there were about a dozen fish caught.

06-13-2007, 07:05 PM
That is such wonderful news! Thanks for sharing!

06-14-2007, 09:18 AM
That's great news! Progress is what keeps the rehabilitation going! I'm glad Addison is getting somewhere... literally!

Lets just hope he doesn't become a grumpy pants and we're all good!

06-14-2007, 09:48 AM
Great news! I am so glad he is making progress. :pixie:

06-14-2007, 10:22 AM
That is awesome news!! What great progress. I am really happy to hear that. :)

Jeri Lynn
08-04-2007, 03:54 PM
August 03, 2007 at 11:29 AM EDT
In addition to his therapies I worked with Addison again on numbers and letters, as well as colors. I gave him multiple choices with colors and letters. I’d show him a number and ask him to let me know what the number was by holding up the correct number of fingers. I’d also hold up two numbers and ask him to add them. He again did all of this without any hesitation….. I asked him if he remembered what number our street address was – and he held up the correct number of fingers. I printed names of every member of our family – I would hold up two names at a time and ask him to show me which one said a certain name, i.e. Mom or Dad, Aaron or Ayla, Tyler or Evan and Matthew or Karen and he’d select the right name I asked him to!!! Yes, he was able to select and take from my hand the right name - of course after he "tired" of it he'd just wave his hand at the names... But, he did it several times before "dismissing" the task. He’d give me a yes or no to questions about the school he went to – I asked if he went to South High? – head shake “no” – North? Again head shake “no” – SPM? With a smile he shook his head “yes”!!! He also remembers the names of his friends…… I’d ask “do you remember” –. Adam – Adam Smith? – he’d shake his head “no” with a little smile – by now he knows what I’m doing…!! Okay, Adam Stowell? He’d shake his head “yes” Matt Red – “No” – how about Matt Roach? “Yes” – Jaron, George, DJ, Alyssa, Julie, Sandman, Jordan, Kelsie, Katie and a few others –I did this with every one of his friends names (that I could remember) and he remembered each and every one – and he’d let me know if the last name was correct or not!!! I’d also ask about teachers’ names, etc. In fact, I found out that Sister Janet (his 7th and 8th grade guidance counselor) was going to be visiting him and when I told him she was coming with Mrs. Stowell, he smiled!


It's a pleasure to share one's memories. Everything remembered is dear, endearing, touching, precious. At least the past is safe --though we didn't know it at the time. We know it now. Because it's in the past; because we have survived. Author: Susan Sontag

61 July 27, 2007 at 11:06 AM EDT
This past week has been good……

Addison is really beginning to interact….. The last couple of Mondays Sue and Aaron have taken Addison to the gym and have been playing basketball with him – at first they used a tennis ball – then a ball that had a little “give to it”. Initially Addison had a hard time releasing the balls, but he is now beginning to have a little more dexterity through his fingers in order to open his hand enough to let the ball drop through the hoop.

Aaron and Jess brought in a puppy which Addison fell in love with. He was extremely gentle when petting the puppy. He’d laugh every time they told him it was a “****zu”!

Before starting prayers this week I asked Addison if he remembered how to make the sign of the cross…-.. he immediately began to do so!!! He has started doing simple arithmetic ….. addition, subtraction and a little bit of multiplication – without hesitation using the fingers on his right hand he can give correct answers!!! I’ve increased his bicep curls to five. If he cheats I make him do them over.. Sometimes he’ll stop after two – and I’ll say “Okay, you did two – how many more do you have to do?” He’ll hold up the appropriate number of fingers and then finish doing them!! It is just so encouraging.…

He is communicating much more with us - whether nodding his head, giving a thumbs up or using his own form of sign language. He’ll hold out his pointer and middle finger to indicate “both”; when he is unsure he will either shrug his shoulder for I don’t know, or sometimes hold his hand out in a somewhat open position while gently moving it back and forth. He is trying so hard to talk…. The words just aren’t there yet – but you sure do know when he’s struggling to say something!! Another thing I’ve noticed lately – when I tell him he’s getting stronger every day – instead of shaking his head no like he use to, he’ll form his fingers to say a “little bit”!!…..
As quoted by Mark Twain: “The secret of getting ahead is getting started. The secret of getting started is breaking your complex overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks, and then starting on the first one.”
Addison will be off the Mountain until late afternoon on Thursday, August 2nd.
Mail can be sent to Addison c/o
Crotched Mountain Rehabilitation Center
Lower Hayden
One Verney Drive
Greenfield, NH 03047
Messages on his cell: 774-364-1321 –
When I play and/or read the messages for him he’ll sometimes nod his head as if in agreement and sometimes smile.

08-04-2007, 05:58 PM
Jeri Lynn, thanks so much for the update. Addison has been through so much and thank goodness, he is making progress. :thumbsup:

Here's some :pixie: for you for being there, not giving up and always looking for the good side of things. God bless you, Addison, your family and Addison's medical team!

08-07-2007, 05:06 PM
Medicine doen't take into account the power of prayers, :pixie:and the occasional miracle that we all know can happen. I'm so happy that Addison seems to be defying their poor prognosis. Please keep updating us. :pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie: