PDA

View Full Version : Contemporary Resort

Pop Centurion
09-14-2006, 02:30 AM
While taking some pictures in the Contemporary outside of Chef Mickey's I asked a castmember about some things that were missing from a year ago. She told me that they were moved to make room for the gift shops that will be moved to the middle area. She also said that the Concourse Steakhouse and Outer Rim will be moved to the first floor and Chef Mickey's will be expanded to take up that area.

LudwigVonDrake
09-30-2006, 09:26 PM
So the Concourse Steakhouse isn't being removed completely? I've always wanted to eat there :mickey:

"SULLEY "RULES!!
10-05-2006, 08:13 PM
It would be really COOL to see Chef Mickey's expand to a larger atmosphere. It's a great place to eat. The characters take the time out of the fun music routine they do and mingle with the families and couples at the tables. It's a happy place for sure. :goofy:

valjane
10-06-2006, 09:43 AM
:rant:

I'm unhappy with these rumored renovations. I love being able to eat in Concourse and/or linger at Outer Rim, enjoying the views and the monorail overhead WITHOUT having to deal with Chef Mickeys.

I would go so far as to say Outer Rim is my favorite place to relax in all of Disney! It just won't be the same on the ground floor with no monorail and no view of Bay Lake. :crying:

Stickers
10-06-2006, 01:05 PM
I'm unfamiliar with the Concourse Steakhouse and the Outer Rim bar in the Contempo. We are staying there for the first time in December, so hopefully, we will get to experience the layout in its present state, prior to renovations (assuming that they hold off through the holidays). That said, WDW is probably expanding Chef Mickey's for a good reason, namely CHILDREN. Obviously, there is a demand for seats in the restaurant, I am assuming.

I'm not saying that parents don't need a nice place to hang out also, especially at the rates that a resort like the Contemporary is charging, but let's not lose sight of why WDW is WDW.

Red Randal
10-06-2006, 02:51 PM
So the Concourse Steakhouse will no longer be located in the concourse? And where on the first floor is it going to be? The first floor seems pretty crowded as it is. What, with the front desk, Food & Fun, Coffee Shop, and all too small waiting area. I don't even know where they will stick a bar and a restaurant.

Goofy_Guy
10-06-2006, 03:03 PM
It is my understanding that the Concourse Steakhouse is being moved to the food and fun area on the first floor. As for the Outer Rim, I am not sure. One of the cast members working at Concourse informed us of this last October. How is it the Concourse Steakhouse can still be named that if it is not on the concourse level?

KylesMom
10-06-2006, 03:25 PM
I am very anxiously waiting for news of what they plan to do with The Contemporary as a whole. We're trying to book a wing room for next June, and right now all that are available are suites that would be over $8,000 for the length of our stay!

I can't imagine where they would relocate Concourse & Outer Rim on the first floor - although there is the old Mousketeer Clubhouse area which is no longer in use, I can't imagine there being enough available space. Even if they chopped the game room in half, got rid of the coffee bar and the Mickey/Igor statue area, everything would need to be on a much smaller scale - not to mention the Outer Rim bar would really have no view at all. They'd need to change the name to the Basement Bar or something! :(

Figment!
10-06-2006, 04:59 PM
Although a year old at this point, the following are the most credible plans that have been rumoured for the Contemporary:

Contemporary A Changing

More details are emerging on the rumored major overhaul of the entire Contemporary resort.

It is still rumored that The Concourse Steakhouse and the Food & Fun Center will trade places. It is now further being rumored that as a result of this change the steakhouse will receive a new name and a new theme, like wise the Food & Fun Center will receive new nomenclature and themeing, which at this point is believed to tie into the near by Chef Mickey. Along with these changes it is rumored that the entire Grand Concourse level will be receiving a major refurbishment although Mary Bair murals are rumored to be preserved.

Other changes are now rumored for the lower levels of the hotel as well. The current Contemporary Grounds coffee shop is rumored to be replaced by a new Children’s area. It is rumored that a new coffee shop will be placed near the entrance to the convention center. The lobby is also rumored to receive some major changes, it is rumored that the lobby will be completely redesigned to give the area a similar feel to the newly renovated rooms.

CaptSmee
10-06-2006, 09:20 PM
Although a year old at this point, the following are the most credible plans that have been rumoured for the Contemporary:

Strange...I can see how the Food & Fun Center would fit into the Chef Mickeys theme, but just can't imagine it being put there. It would be so noisy for guests staying in the Tower room.

Bethanymouse
10-06-2006, 11:28 PM
I'm unhappy with these rumored renovations. I love being able to eat in Concourse and/or linger at Outer Rim, enjoying the views and the monorail overhead

I couldn't agree more....we love watching the monorail go by. It is all part of the experience dining at the Concourse....... :(

cosmic ray
10-08-2006, 04:19 PM
i hate this rumor, and hope it doesn't happen.

hopefully we'll see the outer rim and concourse in its present state when we're down for new years.

Figment!
10-08-2006, 04:35 PM
The logic behind the plans is apparently related to the rumoured Disney Vacation Club expansion.

Assuming that a new Vacation Club unit tower is built on the site of the current North Garden Wing, the rumoured plan is/was to connect the new building on the Concourse level of the Tower.

This would make the Grand Concourse the melding point between the Tower and the new Units and amplify the "traffic" in the area.

Seeing this level of the Tower as the new mecca of Dining and Retail, it is rumoured that management did not want its Disney Vacation Club guests to be so far away from the main Food Court. Of the existing locations, it was rumoured to have been decided that the Steakhouse is the least essential and would be the least inconvenient to be "far" from the Vacation Club units.

Thusly, the "reason" for the rumoured plans.

As a side note, there has been no mention of moving the Outer Rim Lounge in the rumoured plans ...

AndrewJackson
10-08-2006, 06:07 PM
Wow! If these rumors all take place, this will be the loudest location on property. Can you imagine the collective noise of Chef Mickey's and the Family Fun Center!

d_m_n_n
04-15-2007, 09:59 PM
Has anyone heard anything new about the Concourse Steakhouse? Looking at the menu I think DH would really enjoy it on our next trip and just curious as to if we will be able to experience it!

Red Randal
04-16-2007, 01:56 PM
As far as I know, the Concourse Steakhouse is still up and running. It's very rarely crowded and the food was quite good the one time I ate there. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Dreamin_of_Disney247
04-16-2007, 03:50 PM
Just wanted to add my :twocents: to this conversation. Last Week DH and I stayed at the CR for a few days. We were there finalizing plans for our DVC purchase and our Vow Renewal ceremony in June. Because of the time constraints Our DVC salesperson Jeff met us at the resort. Amidst our talking I asked about the CR new look and he said the tower is not a DVC and it will be the same height as the main tower wich is 15 stories. The arcade is moving to where one of the shops is on the 4th floor and the rest of that area on the 4th floor will be for the food area and Chef Mickeys will be expanded to the mural. He also said they were toying with the notion of putting the Outer Rim where Contemporary grounds is located.He said they have changed their minds so many times that not even the hotel staff knows where things will end up. Hope this helps. I, like all of you I am sure, hate the fact that they are changing these things. I just hope that the change is for the better.:mickey:

princessimagineer
04-16-2007, 04:26 PM
wow thanks for all the information! ive been realy curious about the whole CR situation.

im actually realy excited about this renovation. the CR realy needs a facelift. and chef mickeys needs a little more room concidering its the most popular reastaurant in WDW.

idk how much i like the idea of the arcade being on that level. i never cared for arcades and i would prefer keep the shopping on that truely unique floor but thats just me speeking as a shopaholic :cool:

i cant wait to see this all fold out though!

mttafire
04-16-2007, 04:39 PM
Im all for the C.R. "redo" All things including Resorts at Disney MUST evolve. If not, You get left behind. Disney will hit a homerun with this remodel. I love C.R. and im SO anqious to see it when its done.:mickey:

WelshieLover
04-16-2007, 06:07 PM
It seems to me that the more appropriate thing to do would be to move Chef Mickey's downstairs. It is quite noisy and really it is all about the characters and not the view. The Concourse Steakhouse and The Outer Rim are all about the views of the outdoors and the monorail.

valjane
04-19-2007, 03:05 PM
It seems to me that the more appropriate thing to do would be to move Chef Mickey's downstairs. It is quite noisy and really it is all about the characters and not the view. The Concourse Steakhouse and The Outer Rim are all about the views of the outdoors and the monorail.

Agreed!!!!

disneyfunatics
04-20-2007, 01:37 PM
I agree. I think Chef Mickey's is the LAST place anyone comes to for the view!:mickey: :mickey: :mickey:

TheMartellFamily
04-20-2007, 03:46 PM
The prblem with this is that there are many seats on the backside of the buffet that do look over the MK and we really love that area. To take that away seems sad as for we always do Chef Mickeys on our first morning before we hit the MK. It just seems that it would not be the same.

DisneyCrazy
04-21-2007, 09:13 AM
It is my understanding that the Concourse Steakhouse is being moved to the food and fun area on the first floor. As for the Outer Rim, I am not sure. One of the cast members working at Concourse informed us of this last October. How is it the Concourse Steakhouse can still be named that if it is not on the concourse level?

The rumor is that the new 1st floor restaurant will be named "The Wave" and it will offer an asian fusion type menu.