PDA

View Full Version : Camping Question

Stu29573
09-12-2006, 10:40 AM
I've never camped at Disney, but my new wife has an older dog that can't be left alone all night (actually she probably can be, but we prefer not to) She can be alone all day with no problem, though. Therefore, we figured that camping might be the way to go so we could take the dog and not have to leave her in a kennel.
That being said, we were wondering about the feasibility of renting an RV in Orlando and using it to camp in Fort Wilderness. Has anyone ever done this, or is it not a good idea? I'm really new to the whole concept... :mickey:

CJDDS
09-12-2006, 12:35 PM
It can be done, but ends up being pretty expensive. You would also have to check to be sure the RV rental place would allow pets in the RV.

Stu29573
09-12-2006, 02:04 PM
Hmmmm...After checking prices, etc, I'm kind of thinking that buying a used pop-up with A/C would be most cost effective (plus we could use it over and over)...Now if I can talk the wife into it... :secret:

CJDDS
09-12-2006, 04:25 PM
Just tell her you will take care of all the cooking. It worked with me.

FloridaTeacher
09-12-2006, 06:17 PM
Just make sure Disney will allow you to have a dog in a pop-up. Some campgrounds allow animals only in hard side rvs.

23 Days, 21 Hours til we're back at Fort Wilderness.
Happy Camping!

CJDDS
09-12-2006, 07:22 PM
As a matter of fact, FW doesn't allow pets unattended in pop ups.

Stu29573
09-12-2006, 09:49 PM
How about in the kennel during the day and with us at night?

FloridaTeacher
09-12-2006, 10:14 PM
I think that is a FABULOUS idea! Our dogs go, but they stay in our motorhome (actually we bought the motorhome for our Bassett Hound who has back problems, we also have a yorkie). Your proposal is exactly what we would do if we did not have a m/h. Okay - how many Bassett Hounds do you know that have their own motor home????

23 Days 17 Hours til we're back WDW and Fort Wilderness!
Happy Camping!

Stu29573
09-13-2006, 07:23 AM
Apparentlly at least one very lucky one.... :thumbsup:

CJDDS
09-13-2006, 10:43 AM
How about in the kennel during the day and with us at night?
That is exactly what we do with our beagle.

Stu29573
09-13-2006, 10:49 AM
WEll, the wife went for it :D
Now I'm kind of thinking about building a teardrop. I have a PT Cruiser and I think it would really be cool.
Anyway, either way, it's a go!
Thanks guys! :mickey:

drummerboy
09-13-2006, 02:45 PM
WEll, the wife went for it :D
Now I'm kind of thinking about building a teardrop. I have a PT Cruiser and I think it would really be cool.

Somebody makes a really neat looking teardrop that you might want to check out. We saw one at on RV dealer last year.

Stu29573
09-13-2006, 03:54 PM
Cool! Thanks for the info!

Janmac
09-14-2006, 05:43 PM
Another thought is to buy a small used motorhome. With the gas prices up earlier in the summer, many folks were trying to unload their MHs.

Fyi, the ones that kind of look like a pickup cab with a cab-over camper are called Class Cs. The ones that kind of look like busses area called Class As. Class Bs are the van size, like the kind made by VW.

You might be able to find a reasonably priced small Class C that might surprise you on comfort. My cousin and his wife tried a small Class A first but very quickly went to a smallish Class C because it was easier to drive. They took their Class C on business trips, even, because it's so handy to have your own bed and not have to haul luggage around.

They tow their car behind. I don't know if a PT Cruiser can be towed. Fyi, some tow with all 4 wheels on the ground and some tow with a dolley, with only the back two wheels on the ground. We've never towed a vehicle, so I don't know the differences.

We started out years ago with a used pop-up and I think that's a good way to go. We used that for two years while we were learning the ropes and figuring what options were important to us.

Then we went shopping for a new pop-up. I had the list of our most desirable options, and ideas of possible prices but unfortunately took DH and our grandson with me. They fell in love with the pop-up with everything and that's the one we got.

I will say that the pop-ups with the motor that raises the top are so much handier. Our first pop-up was hand cranked and after a couple of weeks, we were tired of hand cranking. With the motorized lift, we would go camping for 5 to 6 weeks.

After three or four years we traded for a full size (but small - 25 feet) trailer, with bunk beds. One major advantage of the trailer is that we can stop for lunch (usually a grocery store or Walmart parking lot) and save money eating in our trailer. And we always have a rest stop with us.

A major disadvantage of a pop-up or trailer is that you need to have a proper vehicle to tow your RV. Your PT Cruiser's owner manual should tell you what weights you can tow, if the Cruiser can tow.

We did our homework and towed with a Chrysler mini-van with tow package - bigger engine and transmission. One important factor in towing is stopping power. Brakes are important. Lighter, smaller pop-ups may not require electric brakes but the bigger ones do, as do full sized trailers.

Now that we have the trailer, we tow with a diesel Ford 1 ton dually crew cab. We don't really need the dually but DH got a 'great' deal on this vehicle and we do need the crew cab with grandkids traveling with us.

There are several discussion boards on the Internet that will help educate a person on things to learn about RVs. We really enjoy our rig, truck and trailer, while my cousin and his wife enjoy their Class C.

In June we went down to Galveston to get our grandson from Sea Camp. We stopped just off the interstate, in Hope, Arkansas, for the night, at a campground run by a motel. Pull through site, with all the hook-ups, for less than $20. Couldn't be handier. We'll be heading down to Fort Wilderness in less than 90 days :clappy: and we'll be dragging our trailer then too.

Hope you get something to camp in so you and your new DW and her old dog can all enjoy WDW. :thumbsup:

Jan

Stu29573
09-15-2006, 10:28 AM
Thanks for all the info!
I've been doing a little research and I've found that Cruisers can't tow much, only 1000 pounds with a 100 pound hitch weight. (There is some disagreement over this, due to the fact that European Cruisers are rated for 2500 pounds, but I'd rather be safe than sorry). With those kids of weight restictions, the only camper than can be towed would be something like a teardrop, or maybe a micro. I'm exploring all options at this point, including popups, class c's and even building (I'm a fairly good craftsman and it sounds fun...plus my great grandfather built one on his model T, so it's in my blood :thumbsup: )
Considering that the only reason I started thinking this way was so we could take the dog, I'm really getting excited by the idea. It will be SO nice to be able to just take off whenever we want.
I'll post updates.....
Once again, thanks!

RJAMV5
09-15-2006, 01:44 PM
You may also want to look the Cozy Cruiser Teardrop Trailer if only for a model to build your own. The approximate weight on these trailers are 1250 lbs and tongue weight of 130 lbs. These weights may be pushing your PT Cruiser to the limit.

Janmac
09-15-2006, 09:23 PM
As I was reading your options list I was reminded of the sort-of pop-ups that the motorcyclists tow. Those have got to be very light weight.

While the teardrop shape is appealing, I don't know that I could camp in one - aren't they basically a sleeping place? Seems close to me. The pictures I've seen have a lid of sorts in the back that opens to reveal an open air kitchen area. If this is the case, you may want to invest in a dining canopy or screen house.

All the campsites at Fort Wilderness have electrical service so even folks in tents could bring an extension cord or two and use a fan or other electrical device.

Please keep us informed as to your progress!

Jan

Stu29573
09-16-2006, 09:25 AM
Actually, in my studies :D I've found that teardrops, while small and streamlined, are not the most light things in the world. A small popup (like the motorcyle ones that you pointed out) are actually lighter (although they have little of the "retro-cool" thing going on). I've just about talked myself into going that route because of weight and the fact that they're actually a bit larger. Still, I guess a lot will depend on what I can find. I'm planning on starting the "active search phase" this weekend. I'll keep you posted! :D :mickey: :D

drummerboy
09-16-2006, 10:56 AM
You'll have to keep us posted now. We're all interested in what you're going to choose. :D

I've run the gamut from pup tent to one-room tent to two-room tent to pup-up to trailer to class C motorhome, and enjoyed them all when I was using them. I will say that hand-cranking the pop-up was a pain.

CJDDS
09-16-2006, 04:22 PM
A liner makes a nice line of lightweight folding trailers, which are quick and easy to set up. Then there is my favorite, the hybrids. Nice to tow a 21 ft trailer which opens to the interior space of a 30 footer, easier to set up than a pop up but still has that tent feel to it.

Janmac
09-16-2006, 06:38 PM
Jim, I think we're hybrid fans too. I say 'think' because our trailer is a Coleman Caravan which is a full-sided trailer, but instead of the canvas bed slideouts we have one hard-side bed slideout in the front over the hitch. Not sure if we're in the hybrid line-up.

Drummerboy, cranking the top up is a pop-up pain, but I'd take that any day over sleeping on the ground without an air mattress. Those sleeping bag pads don't do the trick!

Good luck with your search, Stu.

Jan

drummerboy
09-16-2006, 09:09 PM
Drummerboy, cranking the top up is a pop-up pain, but I'd take that any day over sleeping on the ground without an air mattress. Those sleeping bag pads don't do the trick!

Off topic, but I gotta tell about the time DW decided to stack air mattresses when we were tent camping. It poured rain that night and it leaked into the tent through a partially opened door zipper, then DW decided to get up to go potty, which set the doubled mattresses off balance and threw me into the puddle of cold water. Woke me up real fast! :jaw: :eek: :D

So, I know what you mean. :thumbsup:

Janmac
09-17-2006, 09:12 PM
Yikes! It'd be bad enough to be tossed out of bed, but into cold water?!? :eek:

I think we could all post some funny camper stories - maybe we should start a funny camper story thread. Or maybe not. We might unpersuade some potential campers.

I know you, Drummerboy, camped on your honeymoon - right at Fort Wilderness. DH and I also camped, renting a very small, old pop-up from Navy Morale, but in Virginia, rather than Fort Wilderness. We had our sleep rudely interrupted - when the supports on the bed collapsed in the wee hours. :eek2:

That's a weird experience to be suddenly awakened.

It would probably be even funnier had we not actually been sleeping at the time, but alas (for the joke), we were fast asleep.

Jan

Stu29573
09-26-2006, 10:43 AM
I'm going to look at a Coleman popup tomorrow. It's a good price, but I don't think it has an icebox. I thought I'd ask all you seasoned campers if you think that's a big deal or not. (It also doesn't have A/C, but I have one I can install for no extra charge). Thanks! :mickey:

Janmac
09-27-2006, 11:35 PM
If you're used to working out of coolers, not having a fridge is probably not a deal breaker. The pop-up fridges are small and one has to do duck imitations to get stuff in and out. If you're used to using coolers for camping, you're not going to like the reduced space much.

Good luck with your searches.

Jan

Stu29573
10-02-2006, 07:39 AM
Hey guys!
Well, I went to the RV show in Dallas this past weekend and I've pretty much made up my mind. I kind of liked a, Aliner popup (my wife really liked it) but nothing really had everything that I wanted, exactly how I wanted it. I, therefore. am about to take the plunge and start building. I'll keep you guys updated on the progress (I'm picking up the trailer part from Harbor Freight on Wednesday)
By the way, there was a guy at the RV show selling alarms with GPS systems for about 400.00. He said trailer theft is a growing issue. I assured my wife that Disney would be safe, but she's still not sure. Has anyone had any issues with your stuff being messed with at FWCG?. Regardless, do you think an alarm in a good idea?
Thanks! :mickey:

RJAMV5
10-03-2006, 11:20 PM
We've never had any problems at FW. Most campers are, for the most part, very courteous people. On one of our trips to FW, we went off to the MK and I left the awning open. Upon our return that evening I noticed it had been lowered on one side. There was a note on our door from our neighbor saying he had lowered it when it started raining.:clappy:
We had had a heavy rain shower earlier in the day and if this had not been done, our awning would have definitely been damaged.

As far as security for my trailer, I use a hitch lock when it is in storage. I know this is only a way to slow down anyone from taking it. Because if they are going to take it, they're going to take it. But then again that is why we have insurance.

I personally would not get the alarm. Unless you are storing the RV where it is in your site daily, you won't know its gone until it's too late.

Don't let security deter you from camping at FW. Go and enjoy yourselves. :yay:

Next Trip: June '07

Stu29573
10-05-2006, 02:07 PM
Thanks! That's the way I figured it was, but I needed to assure my wife. :mickey:

CJDDS
10-05-2006, 02:26 PM
There was someone a year or so ago who had a utility trailer stolen from the overflow lot, but I am not sure if I read that on this board or another. It was unlocked and left pretty much unattended for a few days.

Stu29573
11-04-2006, 08:03 PM
The trailer kit just got shipped!!!! In a week, construction begins on the teardrop....

drummerboy
11-04-2006, 10:35 PM
Good luck. Get us some pictures. :thumbsup:

Stu29573
11-05-2006, 10:29 PM
Will do! :D

Stu29573
12-05-2006, 07:11 PM
Well, I have the actual trailer built (5X8) and I'm adding the floor now. I've put the DW in charge of planning the insides, and she's doing a good job of fitting everything in! The cool thing is that we're able to build it exactly the way we want (within reason) :-)

drummerboy
12-05-2006, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the update. :thumbsup:

Hebbynan
12-06-2006, 09:37 AM
Good luck building your trailer!! Keep us updated. I can honestly say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading everyone's comments so far.

We too started out tent camping. Had first son, bought a pop-up. I called it our "deluxe" pop up because it had a toilet and a shower in it and the dinette area slid out too. It was very roomy inside. Then we had our second son and some how it started to seem small. Last month we went and traded the pop up in on a brand new 21' travel trailer. It's a hybrid too. The queen bed is a hard sided slide out. It sleeps 7 and has 2 bunk beds in the back that the boys just love! In fact one of the deciding factors for buying this particular one was because we are heading to WDW to camp next October. The inlaws are camping with their trailer too and my parents will be staying in our camper. It's going to be so much fun! We can't wait!

Stu29573
12-28-2006, 07:27 PM
Well, it's been slow. The weather has conspired with my work schedule so that after I finished the trailer and the floor, I haven't had a moment to work on it! The next step is the frame, and, in theory, should be pretty fun, but TIME is the problem. I want to finish it for a "shakedown run" on spring break in March, but we'll see.... I'll keep posting updates though! :mickey:

ToDisney
01-21-2007, 02:39 AM
This is a wonderful idea. The fact the it all started with wanting to make the wife's older dog happy and comfortable while ya'll are on vacation just makes me smile! I couldn't help but read every post here, and I can't wait for the next update and pictures of the completed product. Oh, don't forget, you might should include a picture of the dog too,:dog: I think we are all becoming quite attached!

Stu29573
01-25-2007, 01:34 PM
Well, needless to say the weather's been nuts (for Texas anyway) with snow, ice, rain, locusts, etc.... (ok, I made up the part about the locusts). Anyway, about the only thing that I got done this past weekend was to put leveling jacks on the sides of the trailer. I hope to get to Home Depot tomorrow and get the stuff for the frame and the walls. I'm looking forward to getting it to where it looks like a camper and not a flatbed trailer :mickey:
Mimi the dog is doing fine, by the way. I'll try to post some pics at some point, but I'm not sure how to do it on this forum. Do you do it in your profile or something?

Stu29573
01-28-2007, 09:19 PM
Camper Update:

I got the frame for the front and back camper walls done this weekend! (despite a sudden downpour on Saturday afternoon...20% chance of rain, my foot!) It actually is starting to take some sort of shape! Hopefully that shape will end up being at least somewhat camper-like.... :mickey:

drummerboy
01-28-2007, 11:25 PM
Camper Update:

I got the frame for the front and back camper walls done this weekend! (despite a sudden downpour on Saturday afternoon...20% chance of rain, my foot!) It actually is starting to take some sort of shape! Hopefully that shape will end up being at least somewhat camper-like.... :mickey:
Way to go. :thumbsup:
Keep at it and keep us up to date.

Janmac
01-29-2007, 10:34 AM
My dad, in Austin, has been keeping us updated on the weird Texas weather - at least tho he got to keep his power. (Some folks in this area were out for a week and a half.)

He says they're looking for really cold this weekend coming up so you may be taking another break from construction.

I think most folks post a link to their pictures on another website, personal or Yahoo, or the like. But I'm not real checked out on that.

Good luck. And it doesn't matter what it looks like as long as it gets the job done and you, your wife and Mimi are happy in the camper.

Jan

Stu29573
01-29-2007, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the encouragement guys! It really helps!

Yeah, I'm looking at the national weather service site and crossing my fingers..... :mickey:

Stu29573
05-23-2007, 02:17 PM
Just a quick update.....
I went through a job change so our Disney plans have been pushed back a bit. However, I'm still planning on finishing the camper ASAP (after all, it's already started). Hopefully we'll get there by spring break or next summer at the latest.....