PDA

View Full Version : The end is near for Back to the Future

Carol
09-07-2006, 09:29 PM
3/23/07

Following their rescinded plans from this past Fall, Universal has once again announced (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=1233057&postcount=23)the closure of their "Back to the Future" attraction

9/7/07

The end is near for Back to the Future
Universal Orlando officials confirm the ride will be closed for a new attraction.

Scott Powers
Sentinel Staff Writer

September 7, 2006

The future of the Back to the Future ride is short at Universal Studios.

After months of not commenting on rumors of the attraction's demise, Universal Orlando on Wednesday confirmed that the 16-year-old simulator ride will be closing to make room for an as-yet-undisclosed new attraction.

Universal spokesman Tom Schroder would not give a date for the ride's last run, though employees at Universal said they have been told it would close Oct. 1.

The ride uses simulator motion technology and a large-screen movie projection system to give visitors the illusion they are traveling in the DeLorean car/time machine featured in the movie franchise. The three movies, released in 1985, '89 and '90, star Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd.

Back to the Future funnels visitors into two identical domes that each have 12 vehicles, which each seat eight riders.

Schroder said one dome was closed recently so that attraction designers could explore possibilities for future rides.

"We've not formalized any plans but the creative process requires us to take some steps now," Schroder said.

Rumors among Universal staff members, fueled and circulated by the Internet, involve several possible replacements, including rides based on the Fast and the Furious movie franchise and one based on The Simpsons TV show.

Back to the Future was one of the original rides when Universal Studios opened in 1990 and for many years was considered among the most advanced simulator rides in the world. The anticipated closure has fueled an Internet petition drive to get Universal to change its mind.

"We know Back to the Future has an enormous following among our fans, and we know it has a significant history," Schroder said. "Any decision we make regarding Back to the Future is not taken lightly."

chrisb26
09-07-2006, 10:28 PM
That stinks
I really liked this ride and it was always a thing we had to do when we went to universal. That ride was the whole reason I started to like Back to the Future. After riding it I came home and watched the movies and started loving them. This ride will be missed. They close this and keep taking away classic attractions that I really enjoyed. I remeber how mad I was when they got rid of King Kong. I really liked that ride especially when I was a kid looking at the giant Gorilla. As long as they dont take out Jaws and Earthquaqe I will be alright those are my favorite rides at Universal along with Back to the Future. This is so sad. :(

AlliMo
09-09-2006, 12:55 AM
WOW...this was the ONE thing that I liked about Universal Studios...

January-2007
09-09-2006, 07:18 PM
It's official, we are NEVER going to Universal Studios! I was on the fence before, since I love this ride so much, thinking maybe we would go there during one of our trips over the next couple of years, but now? No Way! My fiance and I are both avid fans of the Back to the Future movies, have been since we were kids and they were first coming out- we even saw some of them in the movie theater. When I was younger I went to Universal Studios twice with my family, and this is the one attraction that I looked forward to. And they don't even have King Kong anymore? Give me a break! Has anyone else seen the movie "The Wizard"- I was looking forward to showing DH this ride. Well, less time spent off Disney property is easier for us, we really won't have to drive anywhere or worry about directions. They're just making it easier for us.

BrowncatP
09-09-2006, 10:32 PM
All things change in time, BUT how stupid are they!! That is one of the best attractions in that park.

Womble
09-10-2006, 08:46 AM
The last time I rode BttF was around four or five years ago, the place was looking tatty and the film was in a very poor state. I don’t know if they refurbished the ride since then.
I do think they need to keep something like it!
It is a far better ride than Soarin (which I was totally under whelmed by!) and considering it was made ten years earlier it really has stood the test of time.

I’d be happy if they tided the place up and brought in a new film “Fast and the Furious!” tie in would be good,
BUT
If it were my decision I would do part of the chase from “the Blues Brothers!” but there again, I am sad and old! :(

RJAMV5
09-13-2006, 01:56 PM
I was there in 2004 and like Kevin said it did look "tatty and the film was in a very poor state". I would like to see this ride refurbished instead of having it shut down. I also am a fan of the BTTF movies and will be sad to see this ride go. :(

John
09-13-2006, 11:39 PM
I could be the only one - but while I loved the set up leading up to the ride and the ride vehicle - I was underwhelmed by the ride experience itself.

That and the typical long lines that were always there were just not worth it in my opinion. Been on it 3 times - that's enough for me.

Pales in comparison to the spiderman ride. That alone is a reason to go to universal.

wdwgrl377
09-14-2006, 12:02 PM
Pales in comparison to the spiderman ride. That alone is a reason to go to universal.

:ditto: :woohoo:

PharmD
09-14-2006, 12:21 PM
I hate that they are closing this ride. We usually go to Universal every 3 or 4 years during our trips to WDW. We are heading down in 2 weeks and have tickets to go to Universal for 2 days. I will be sure to catch this ride, if its still open, a couple of times. I also miss the King Kong ride. We rode it when my oldest son was 4 and I can still see him huddled in a ball on the floor of the cable car during the whole ride.:haha: We still remind him of this every time it comes up.

Wells
09-14-2006, 12:29 PM
I am a fan of the “Back to the Future” ride as well, but as a previous poster noted all things change. So I’m not so adamantly opposed to seeing this ride updated as long as the replacement is at least as detailed and interesting. I always liked the fact that the instruments on the DeLoren actually worked in sync with the ride and that the “flux capacitor” actually “fluxed”. When King Kong was replaced by the Mummy, I found this to be a better experience both in the queue and the actual ride, although similar in concept the Mummy puts Rock and Rollercoaster to shame. I really wish that Disney Imagineering would embrace new technology like they used to instead of letting Universal Creative take the lead in almost every area.

Womble
09-15-2006, 04:04 AM
I really wish that Disney Imagineering would embrace new technology like they used to instead of letting Universal Creative take the lead in almost every area.
I’m glad I’m not the only person here who thinks this!

JohnY I'm the exact opposite about BttF!
I like the ride (even though it is 15 years old!) but I really dislike the building and the queueing area, the only thing good about the queue was the TV's, which when it first opened "I think!" (which means I'm proberbly wrong! :blush: ) May have been the first queue to have TV's along it's path in Florida!

Kevin AKA Womble

sleepydog25
09-15-2006, 09:54 AM
I saw BTTF on the big screen in Minot, ND, oh so many years ago. I decided to go catch the movie after hearing Huey Lewis in concert at the ND State Fair wherein he played, "Power of Love." BTTF will always hold a warm spot in my heart as one of my all-time favorite, fun movies. I even used it to teach a lesson to college students on cause-and-effect in rhetorical writing! The ride is undoubtedly outdated, but what a classic. I shall miss it. :(

2Epcot
09-18-2006, 02:07 PM
I liked the Back to the Future attraction when it first opened and rode it for many years. The last several years I almost never ride it anymore. I live very close to Universal Studios in Hollywood. On most visits, that is the one ride I skip. I will not miss it at all. It had a good run, but it is time for something else. I also agree that Back to the Future is not nearly as good of an attraction as Spiderman.

DVC2004
09-19-2006, 05:02 PM
I'm happy to hear this. That ride is a waste of space now. Back in the day it was good. I wonder what will go there next?
Another ride I think could be done away with is E.T. My kids like it but again- time for a change. Conversely, I was sad to see King Kong go. DH said it was so hokey but I loved it!

JRock0114
09-24-2006, 08:34 PM
I have been to US 7 times now dating back to the early 90's. When the park was young, this ride blew me away. I had never seen anything like it. I loved the movies, loved the theme of this ride, and loved the experience. Over the years, the theme has kept it's freshness but the experience has not. The ride now seems clunky and the film does not flow like it once did. Part of me hates to see this go but this is the one thing I love about US......they update and add new rides. Much like Kong was good........The Mummy is great! If they make that big of step with BTTF then I'm all for the change.

Pour a little out for Marty McFly.

kgoulash
09-30-2006, 07:34 PM
i might have to keep this to myself, i don't know if my dad will go to universal now!

caryrae
10-06-2006, 08:57 PM
I never liked that ride to much anyway. So it's fine with me that's it's closing.

:offtopic: What other Universal movie or movies should they make into a ride?

Maybe a "The Fast and the Furious" ride or how about the corny movie "Tremors" ride.

thebiggoof
10-23-2006, 08:38 PM
I'm happy to hear this. That ride is a waste of space now. Back in the day it was good. I wonder what will go there next?
Another ride I think could be done away with is E.T. My kids like it but again- time for a change. Conversely, I was sad to see King Kong go. DH said it was so hokey but I loved it!

yea it was a waste of space bc i on 2005 we went and we walked right on compared to last time i rode it in 199 when there was a line. then when twe get done with the breifing and go to the car the first car breaks down and the second car breaks down and then the film i had noticed was worse than in '99 and the car shook more. i thought the ride had alot of potential bc of all the movies like they could have done for a few years one movie then replace the old movie with a new movie about the next movie and so on.

aprilisis
10-27-2006, 03:11 PM
The (Back To The Future) ride definitely needed updating at the least. The last few times I was on it the film quality was poor & the ride was WAY too rough. I like Universal for the Mummy & Shrek 4-D now. I also like Men in Black.

NJGIRL
11-02-2006, 04:04 PM
As of October 27th it was still opened and running with a long line waiting to get in. My son loves this ride. I hope they change their minds :confused:

realtreebar
11-07-2006, 08:10 AM
was looking forward to back to the future ride in jan 2007 but i guess we do not get to do that bummer

kgoulash
11-25-2006, 09:00 PM
has there been any info on what is replacing the back to the future ride? just curious, their website still shows bttf being there.

DocWeeks
11-26-2006, 08:39 PM
Dang, that's my favorite ride in Universal. Too bad it's gone. Hope something good replaces it.

hockeymom
01-22-2007, 09:05 PM
OH no!!!

That is one of my fav. rides too. I hadn't heard that it was closing.

JPL
01-22-2007, 10:22 PM
The last rumour I heard was The Simpsons.

Roger's #1 Fan
01-23-2007, 10:53 AM
While a replacment based on "The Simpsons" was rumored based on the movie release this summer, the latest information is that negotiations with one of the major voice actors fell through and that the overlay had been thrown into doubt.
In Florida, BTTF is at 50% capacity with only one side of the attraction open and most of the Deloreans on the other side being dismantled and in the backlot. There are also reports of the ride not being noted on park maps and this may have been a premature removal based on the rumored overlay this summer which looks to be delayed indefinitely.

So, for now, BTTF is open.

kgoulash
01-31-2007, 12:54 PM
thanks for the update, i keep checking their site and was confused when i kept seeing bttf shown as if nothing had changed

MrDownTown
01-31-2007, 01:49 PM
i really think it is a quite a joke to replace the bttf ride i mean that is one of the better rides at Universal.... just a shame :(

WDWfanatic742
02-12-2007, 01:08 AM
It used to be the best ride there before Men In Black, and the Mummy were built. They never kept it up to standards and what is should have been. The screens in the car's didn't work alot of the time, the main movie screen was messed up both times I was there, and the building looked completely old and nasty. RIP Back to the Future (when you officially close) and hopefully they can maintain whatever they replace the ride with.

jennsky
03-05-2007, 12:49 PM
I didn't hear it was closing either! I'm glad I had a chance to go on it the last time I was there. I am a huge BTTF fan, but I gotta admit though, it did seem pretty beat up. I didn't enjoy the attraction as much as I thought I would. Men in Black and the Mummy definitely blew it away. I'm sure it would have been amazing when it first opened. I was last to Universal only a few months before it opened and I was so upset that it wasn't ready during our vacation. RIP BTTF!!!

Crow
03-12-2007, 11:03 PM
i was only there once and havent heard it was going away..
was thinking about goin to see Universal in May

RAIDER
03-13-2007, 08:21 AM
I am absolutley gobsmacked its going or gone.
For me it was one of the all time greats . I would rather they had got rid of Jaws as that was looking really dated .... what a shame :sadwave: :sadwave:

Roger's #1 Fan
03-13-2007, 10:56 AM
Its Official, BTTF will be closing forever on March 30th according to the Universal Orlando website.

Unofficially, rumors of project Fish (Blinky?)have resurfaced with a projected startup date of June. This of course would coencide well with The Simpsons Movie release on July 27th. :thumbsup:

Figment!
03-23-2007, 03:38 PM
Universal Orlando's Web Site: 'Back To The Future' Ride To Close

WKMG 6
March 22, 2007

A message posted on Universal Orlando's Web site indicates the theme park's "Back To The Future" ride will close forever after March 30.

The time-travel simulator was once the park's headline attraction when it opened in 1991, but it's been 17 yeas since the movie was in the theaters, Local 6 reported.
Theme park insiders said the ride may be replaced with a ride based on "The Simpsons."

Officially, Universal Orlando said it is planning a replacement but it is not ready to make any announcement.

mickey98
04-05-2007, 10:02 PM
GREAT SCOTT !!! how could they ever consider closing BTTF.. This ride is a Universal Icon.. Next I guess they will close E.T. It's bad enough that they took away KONGFRANTATION.. What Next ????.

JRock0114
04-06-2007, 10:15 AM
RIP BTTF!

I am a huge Universal Fan and I first went to the park back in 1992. Back to the Future was the Headline Act back in those days and I LOVED it. At that time, the ride was like nothing I had ever seen and the theming was on point. Since that time, BTTF has not aged well. I have been to US and IOA countless times since then and in the last couple of trips, I skipped BTTF all together due to how jerky the ride had become and how off the movie was from the motion. Part of me is very very sad to see BTTF go because of how fond I was of this attraction. On the other hand.... I look at what Universal did when they took out KONG. Replacing KONG with the Mummy was a HUGE positive for Universal. The Mummy is one of the greatest rides I have ever been on, anywhere........period. And I've been to nearly every major park in America.......The Mummy ranks with some of the greatest. So if US can pull off another upgraded attraction like they have done with KONG/Mummy then I am very excited for this upgrade.

Now......let's do SOMETHING with Islands of Adventures.......for Pete's Sake. This park has added NOTHING major since it opened. Please, please......I am begging them to do something with the fantastic land of Jurassic Park. To have that great of a themed land and have nothing more than one sub-par River Adventure is a shame. Please put a monster Coaster or some type of flying Thrill ride in there.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-06-2007, 10:20 PM
I'll miss this ride, but I won't miss konking my head on the side of the car while sitting in the back seat!
And as much as I was upset about them taking out Kongfrontation, the Mummy was quite an experience.

Victor Kelly
04-15-2007, 12:59 PM
I will say that Universal has been more progressive with its offerings since it has opened. I noticed the problems with Kong long before it closed. BTTF has had many problems and has deteriorated over the last few years. In 05 when we went it was in poor shape.

And I hate to say it but, yes, it is time for ET to go as well. They did it with Hanna Barberra(sp), Murder she Wrote, Alfred Hitchcock, Ghostbusters. They have almost changed the better part of the park. IN fact there are few original attractions and/or shops still remaining.

I agree, IOA needs more in Jurasic Park. How about a highly themed monster coaster? And much more could be added to IOA.

But let us not forget, Universal is a land locked theme resort. It does not have the land that Disney does.

JRock0114
04-15-2007, 03:17 PM
I also agree with you about ET. I really do love this attraction and I do consider it classic but it has not aged well. Much like BTTF was back in it's day, ET was way ahead of it's time in what it offered in a ride. It blew me away the first time I went on it and you gave them your first name as you entered the ride.....as the ride ended ET would say your name as you flew by on your bike. The last time I was there, not only did ET not do that but the ride didn't even appear on the park map. I thought for sure it was the end for ET. So who knows. They either need to consider it "classic" and keep it up.......or tear it down and put up something new and flashy.

Do we still have no word on what is going to replace Back to the Future? Simpsons? Fast and the Furious?

WDWfanatic742
04-15-2007, 06:58 PM
Nothing offical yet, but there have been a few more reports about Harry Potter coming to Universal Orlando. I could see riding around on a broomstick where E.T. is at now and going through a bunch of different places in the films.

Then with the Simpsons movie coming out this summer, if they are planning on replacing BTTF with a Simpsons ride a press release could come out very soon.

JRock0114
04-15-2007, 09:15 PM
I also heard about Harry Potter. The last rumor I heard was that Harry Potter would be added to "Lost Continent" over at IOA. I think this would be a great addition to that area and would fit in perfectly. Islands of Adventures needs a kick in the pants badly.