PDA

View Full Version : Falling Stars- when Celebrities crash to earth

2Epcot
08-01-2006, 09:28 PM
I was actually working on this for about a week, before recent events happened. It seems so often that movie, music, and TV stars who are at the top of their career do something to damage their own career. Michael Jackson is probably the best example of this, but I chose to focus on some others, to see who people think have hurt their own career the most.

Ben Affleck Oscar winning actor was doing very well, and quite popular until he starting dating Jennifer Lopez. Between the bad movie Gigli, and the whole Bennifer engagement, his star isn't quite as bright.

The Dixie Chicks made up of Emily Robison, Martie Maguire, and Natalie Maines were a huge country and pop musical group. In a concert in England Maines bashed the president, which hurt the group badly. Some radio stations stopped playing their music. This past June, Robison commenting on other country music videos said ... "I don't understand the necessity for patriotism. ... I don't see why people care about patriotism." Considering most country music fans are strong patriots, it didn't seem like the best moves for either.

Britney Spears was probably one of the biggest female music pop stars in the world, and a former member of the Mickey Mouse Club. Between some risque photo shoots, concerts that parents gabbed their kids out of because of Britney's behavior, a 55 hour marriage to an old friend in Vegas. Her marriage to Kevin Federline and their seemingly bad care of their baby, including driving her car, with her baby on her lap. Britney's popularity has dropped to an all time low.

Tom Cruise, the biggest movie star in the world is loved around the world. Cruise is often in the top of People Magazines favorites and Forbes top 100 celebrities. When he started dating Katie Holmes and doing what most stars never do, seeking out the press to say how in love he was... his popularity definitely took a hit. Probably the camel that broke the furniture's back so to speak, was his jumping on Oprah's couch, talking about his love for Katie ... then buying a ultrasound machine to monitor their baby. Often now when Cruise' name is mentioned, it is in some kind of joke.

Lindsay Lohan is an up and coming young star, having appeared in several Disney films, including The Parent Trap, Freaky Friday, and Herbie: Fully Loaded. She appeared to be becoming one of the top young female stars. With 3 car accidents last year, admitting to drug use in a magazine, and getting a reputation as a party girl, people seem to be starting to look at her differently. Just last week, while working on a movie, she was taken to a hospital for what she called dehydration. Though even the head of the movie studio believed her absence from the set was due to all night heavy partying, and wrote her a letter threatening action for her bogus excuse.

Now just recently Mel Gibson, who is also probably one of the biggest movie stars in the world. Known recently as a successful director too, was arrested for drunk driving. While that was bad enough, Gibson made hateful comments during his arrest that he has now apologized for.

The question is ... of these 6 stars, who has fallen the most, and has come crashing back to earth.

Bethanymouse
08-01-2006, 10:04 PM
Tom Cruise.....he has made a fool of himself time and time again. I give he and Katie until December before a breakup

QTPie68
08-02-2006, 12:37 AM
A tough one....Tom or Mel.........Tom :alien: or Mel :marg: :drive: :cop:

Goofster
08-03-2006, 07:19 AM
Tom Cruise.....he has made a fool of himself time and time again. I give he and Katie until December before a breakup

I thought they already broke up?! :confused: I chose Spears, I don't think you could fall any farther than that. She's looking pretty bad lately. As for Mel Gibson, I don't think a DUI charge is really going to hurt his career. I don't think we would have even heard about it had he not directed that movie about Jesus a couple years ago. With all the stuff going on in our own country and the Middle East, I think it's pretty pathetic that his DUI arrest continues to make evening news. :rolleyes:

TooGoofy
08-03-2006, 07:43 AM
... I think it's pretty pathetic that his DUI arrest continues to make evening news. :rolleyes:

I don't think it's the DUI, Goofster, I think it was the anti-Semetic remarks that Mr. Gibson made during his arrest that are keeping this story in the news. While making Passion of the Christ there were allegations of anti-Semitism, but most people did not believe them. Now, with these remarks, those allegations seem to have some truth to them. That is what is keeping this story going.

As for the celebrities...I simply can't pick just one.

2Epcot
08-04-2006, 06:35 PM

Everything about their relationship has seemed strange from the start. Seems like a lot of people don't see Tom the same. Who knows how long it was last ... the couples that seem like they would be together a long time break up also.

2Epcot
08-16-2006, 02:23 AM
Bump

Mandykay
08-16-2006, 03:13 AM
I wanted to vote for Pee Wee Herman :D

offwego
08-17-2006, 05:04 PM
Tom Cruise the whole with Katie thing seems so lame!

(although Brit was a thought there too)

DisneyGiant
08-17-2006, 09:45 PM
I voted for Mel.

Lost all credibility. And is now considered a "hater."

Tommy is just weird - but not "Michael Jackson" weird.

I love the Chicks - they are brave heroes to me.

Lindsay Lohan or Britney Spears - not worth my time of day.

Ben is on his way back. Just needs some decent roles. I also agree with his politics ;) so he'll always be ok in my book.

Gotta Love the TTA
08-17-2006, 09:56 PM
I voted for Tom Cruise because I think he will have the hardest time recovering what he has lost.

Britney and Lindsay aren't really on the radar of anyone much over 30. They may know the names from seeing the tabloids at the supermarket, but very few people could name a Britney song or a LiLo movie. They are marginally talented little girls who aren't making the transition to grown-up very gracefully. They are on the way down, never to return.

Right now the tabloids are having a blast with TomKatKitten. But one really has to wonder why the baby hasn't been seen in public. I've never heard that this is any Scientology belief that babies should be sequestered for a certain length of time.

It is troubling to me that (again, according to the tabloids) Katie's family has not yet seen the baby, who is now 4 months old. This is a classic tactic of a controlling abuser--deny the woman contact with "outsiders." Many abused women are cut off from their family and friends so they come to think that the life they are living is normal.

IMHO, it is just cruel to deny grandparents contact and access to a grandchild.

Whatever is happening in that household is a little sinister and scary.

amyn2610
08-18-2006, 03:12 AM
I couldn't pick just one either.

I used to adore Tom Cruise-he was plastered all over my bedroom walls during the Top Gun era, and I have several of his movies on DVD. I luckily didn't see the episode of Oprah, but it was his remarks regarding PPD and the use of anti-depressants that made me immediately lose all respect for the schmuck and vow to never watch another of his movies. I feel very sorry for Katie and Suri-however she is a grown woman and has made her bed...she now has to lie in it.

Britney never had an ounce of talent in her at all-she surely is no comparison to Christina Aguilera who also got started on the MMC. Does she really think K-Fed loves her, or will she one day realize what all of us have known all along-that he's with her for her MONEY???!! Then to create another innocent baby into the mess of a marriage they have....it's mind-boggling.

As for the other choices, I'm not big fans of any of them. None of us are perfect & we all make mistakes-I just can't fathom how these celebrities do the things they do. :confused:

The Bookseller
08-18-2006, 08:08 AM
I would have to say Brittney Spears. Since day one, I had the feeling that Ms. Spears was all gloss and no talent. Unlike all the others on the list, she's the one who looked the more fake.

There's also another thing that hit me on the nerves; she dropped the ball in a way. Since her second wedding, she litteraly let herself go to her new "Trash" lifestyle. If I knew that I got fans around the world and paparrazis trying to get my picture, I would do my best to look great 24-7. She mostly forget that.

As fat as Tom Cruise goes, Hollywood will support his anthics until he will stop making hits at the box office.

DDBird
08-19-2006, 05:17 PM
I voted for Tom. I have never really liked him but I think after his breakup with Nicole Kidman things have been going down hill for him and the whole Katie thing seems like on big publicity stunt - with an unfortunate little victim.
I love the Dixie Chicks for their music and applaud their courage in saying what they believed in whether it was popular or not.
Britney and Lyndsay - young and dumb. They will grow up one day and then we might see what they are worth.
Ben - some really dumb career moves in front of the camera but some good movies from vehind the scenes.
Mel - well.....he will recover. He is not really a leading man anymore and does more behind the scenes.

Crow
08-19-2006, 11:02 PM
Id say Cruise..but Britney has been hurt as has Mel.
i think the lower returns for MI3 show this.
not that any of them are hurting for $$$

offwego
08-21-2006, 09:40 AM
Well I think Brit slipped a few more notches with that awful performance by the "KFED" at the Teen Choice awards. (though she looked nicer than she did in the Matt Laurer interview).

Man she's going to owe her label big time for that mess!

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
08-21-2006, 12:13 PM
I voted for Gibson..

I always liked the guy and his movies, but since the incident I have watched "What Women Want" again with my girlfriend, and I didn't like him in it anymore

I hated passion of the christ and now this incident really confirmed it..I hate Gibson :D

conorsmom2000
08-24-2006, 07:52 AM
Tom :alien: or Mel :marg: :drive: :cop:
That made me laugh - very good use of smilies!

That was a really tough choice - as for all of them, they are on the cusp of damaging their careers for good, if they haven't already. I also voted for Brit as I think she'll have a hard time making a comeback after the past two years.

Ian
08-24-2006, 11:41 AM
Can I ask a serious question here?

Are people really this interested in the lives of celebrities? I always marvel at the headlines I see on allegedly "respectable" news outlets, like CNN and even the AP ...

Brittany Bleches on Video!

Brittany Trips While Carrying Baby!

Tomkat Buy Private Ultrasound Machine!
and I think to myself ... WHO CARES?????

I really do wonder if people actually are interested in this stuff or if the media just assumes we are (since in many cases, they consider themselves as celebrities and must have a tough time believing no one is interested in THEM!).

Based on this thread I'd have to say it seems like at least some people have interest, but I gotta say I can't for the life of me understand why.

By and large these people are totally useless social misfits.

PirateLover
08-24-2006, 12:31 PM
Can I ask a serious question here?

Are people really this interested in the lives of celebrities? I always marvel at the headlines I see on allegedly "respectable" news outlets, like CNN and even the AP ...

I have to admit I love celebrity gossip. I guess part of me cares because I can't believe so many worthless people make so much money... And you're right to the degree that I only "care" about these people because they are constantly thrown in my face. I also agree that major news outlets should NOT be wasting their time on these stories. It was a disgrace when the Mel Gibson story was taking precedence over the bombings in the middle east on every station and in every newspaper. I love watching these train wrecks, but I don't spend a dime on the rags (I do all my gossip reading for free on line :D ) and I wish real news wouldn't waste their time.

SurferStitch
08-24-2006, 12:36 PM
I was going to say Tom Cruise, but I voted for the Dixie Chicks.

I never really liked them, and when they pulled that gutless, cowardly stunt of bashing our president in another country, well, they sank to the bottom of the cesspool for me.

Like it or not, Cruise will probably come back. He is still bankable (even though I can't stand him), as is Affleck. Mel will be fine. Britney is still famous and in the limelight, so no problems there (can't stand her either).

The Chicks, while still heard on the radio, will probably never rebound to the fame they once had. That Natalie can't keep her obnoxious mouth shut, so she'll keep the Chicks in the celler for a while. To this day I always turn the radio station when I hear a Chicks song come on. I absolutely despise them. :ack: :down:

Ian
08-24-2006, 12:49 PM
Luckily, I hated the Dixie Chicks long before they got in hot water, so I didn't have to suffer much after the fact ;)

Mel, while somewhat of a drunken idiot, is still okay in my book. Any Hollywood celeb with enough guts to go against the prevailing attitude out there is a winner in my book.

SurferStitch
08-24-2006, 01:01 PM
WDWacky....you sound just like me. I feel the same way. :thumbsup:

2Epcot
08-24-2006, 03:17 PM

Brittany Bleches on Video!

Brittany Trips While Carrying Baby!

Tomkat Buy Private Ultrasound Machine!
and I think to myself ... WHO CARES?????

I really do wonder if people actually are interested in this stuff or if the media just assumes we are (since in many cases, they consider themselves as celebrities and must have a tough time believing no one is interested in THEM!).
Considering that Entertainment Tonight has now been on the air for 25 years and is still in the Top 10 syndicated programs on TV, its seems there is quite of bit of interest in celebrities by the public. ET has been renewed through the year 2012. If you look at the news stands, very few magazines don't have a star on the cover, because editors know that is what drives sales.

The recent activities between Mel Gibson and Star Jones leaving The View, increased the ratings on every magazine show doing entertainment news. Probably the down side of that is, the main stream news shows see what is drawing viewers, and follow suit by covering more entertainment stories themselves.

I have been to a couple of events where Tom Cruise was in attendance. I stood right next to him as he took picture with fans and shook their hands. Though I could have spoke to him myself, it was more fun for me to watch how excited others got ... it made their day to meet such a huge star. So many tourist come here to LA, and if they can go back home and say they met a celebrity, they are so thrilled.

Of course not everyone cares about stars, but obviously there are many who do. I would guess many people decide on what movie to see based on who is in the film, as opposed to what the story is about (horror films being the exception).

Maybe the interest in celebrity news has a lot has to do with just having a little bit of escape from normal life. For some, maybe it makes them feel better about their own lives, knowing all the money in the world doesn't prevent stars from going through the same problems themselves. Though that shouldn't be a surprise, since we are all just people.

Ian
08-24-2006, 03:49 PM
I guess ... if it's true, though, I find it pretty sad, because 90% of these people are nothing but role models on how NOT to live your life.

It's a shame that these are the folks the general public opts to be interested in when there are so many people out there more worthy of their attention. Not sure what that says about us ...

Here we go again...
08-25-2006, 08:54 AM
Mel, while somewhat of a drunken idiot, is still okay in my book. Any Hollywood celeb with enough guts to go against the prevailing attitude out there is a winner in my book.
I agree. I just can't turn my back on Mel, but I am surprised at some of his actions lately. Mel is a traditional Catholic, meaning that he follows the original teaching of the bible. (being Catholic explains the drinking ;) ) As hard as he fought to produce a movie that many people believe is the true story of Christ, how can he start screwing up now and do so many things that go against his religion. Is he cracking under the pressure? Who knows.

As for the others, Ben is going to be okay. He just needs to find some good movie scripts and stay out of the public eye for a while.

The Dixie Chicks... what can I say? They need to put a muzzle on Natalie. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the way she handled herself made it look like she was talking for a group of people, not just her own point of view. The radio stations around here still will not play their music and they have had to cancel their tour. Natalie still does not ralize that it was her fans that put her on that stage to begin with... she should not use that very same stage to kick her fans in the butt.

Tom is an idiot. I have never felt that he was a very good actor, so he was never anything special in my book.

Lindsey is just having some growing pains like all child actors seem to. Hopefully she will make some better choices soon and grow up.

Brittany - she got my vote. Getting married to a no talent man that had another woman pregnant was stupid to begin with. All he has done is [take] her money from her and she is not smart enough to see it. So, what is the solution? Why, get pregnant again of course!! I do not think I have ever heard a song by Brittany that I liked... I do not understand why she has been so popular this long to begin with.

Okay, off my :soapbox: now.

2Epcot
07-25-2007, 08:39 PM
I decided to look up the poll I created almost a year ago, to see how Lindsay Lohan ranked. At that time there was enough going on with her to include her in the poll, but she didn't score very high. I think more people would have voted for her if I did this today. It's unfortunate that it seems like it takes jail to turn some of these stars around. For Paris, jail seemed to only make her more well known (Though a year ago, I wouldn't have thought of including her). Sadley Lindsay has a great career which she's throwing down the tubes.

Fantasmic
07-26-2007, 09:27 AM
I would have voted for Britney, especially now, with the head shaving thing...

SBETigg
07-26-2007, 09:52 AM
But with Tom Cruise, it is so much more than the couch-jumping and being in love. It is the negative comments he has made on medication and psychiatry, the passing judgment, and forcing his beliefs on others. His interview with Matt Lauer caused far more damage than even his couch-jumping with Oprah, though the couch-jumping was the easiest to lampoon.

I think we lose interest in people we look to for entertainment when they use their celebrity status to push their opinions on others instead of entertaining us. Rosie O'Donnell, Susan Sarandon, and Richard Gere are a few names that come to mind of others who have struggled with lost popularity after publicly championing a cause. Some recover better than others. Tom Cruise has probably done permanent damage to his career.