PDA

View Full Version : WDW Rated & Reviewed - The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror

Red Randal
07-31-2006, 02:17 PM
I thought we could use a BUMP to celebrate the ride's 13th anniversary today on Friday the 13th!

By the way, for all of my usual readers, I apologize for not posting a review in what seems like an eternity. I was so bogged down with senior year, graduation, and then getting settled into a work schedule that I haven't had time to write a whole lot. I plan on getting back on track soon and producing more regular content for everybody here at I-Cot. For now, enjoy this review of one of the all time greatest...

Most people will agree that this is one of the best rides at Walt Disney World. Time to find out if I agree.

The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror

Intro: The Tower of Terror opened in the new “Hollywood Boulevard” section of the Disney Studios in 1994. Its opening revitalized a park that was lacking in attractions and excitement and has lead to the Studios being the thrill center of Walt Disney World.

Queue: In through the courtyard of the Hollywood Tower Hotel, which has fallen into considerable disrepair and then through the once ornate lobby. The lobby appears to have been frozen in the time of the early days of Hollywood, now its beauty is covered in cobwebs and dust. The attention to detail is magnificent as you make your way past registration and into a small room of the hotel which has many bookshelves and some old style televisions on the wall.

Preshow: The book room houses the preshow. On those old televisions, when the room is darkened, plays the Twilight Zone theme song and then introduces the attraction. Rod Serling, himself, joins us (awesome!) to provide the introduction, much like he did for so many episodes of the television series. Hollywood in 1939 was in the midst of its Golden Age. The centerpiece was the Hollywood Tower Hotel where many of the stars would frequent. However, one night, all that would change; lightening struck the tower, causing a wing to disappear and five guests to plunge into the Twilight Zone. Tonight, a maintenance service elevator waits for you, if you dare to step aboard for a ride directly to the Twilight Zone. Great preshow movie, one of the best they have ever done. After the preshow, the line continues into the bowels of the building before you board your maintenance service elevator.

Ride: The doors are closed by an ominous, Haunted Mansion-esque bellman, and then you are lifted up one floor. That familiar Twilight Zone music plays and the doors open. Looking down a large corridor you spot those same elevator passengers from the movie and then the lights go out and various spots in the room begin to glow. Your elevator then moves OUT of the elevator shaft and down the hallway! Passing more ominous sights, similar to the opening of the television show, you make your way down the corridor to the end of the hall and another set of doors which open up. Rod Serling then lets you know that the doors are opening to the deepest, darkest corner of your imagination, in the Tower of Terror. Then it’s a DROP! UP! DOWN! At totally random intervals, sometimes three, sometimes thirteen drops. Some are larger, some smaller, some offering views of the park if you could look fast enough. When it is all said and done, you have experienced Disney Imagineering at its finest and after Rod Serling offers a final farewell, it’s over.

Postshow: No show, but it lets you off in a really neat gift shop with stuff you can only find at the end of the ride. I really want one of those Hollywood Tower Hotel bathrobes.

Thoughts: What a great ride. Depending on my general mood, this switches with Splash Mountain as my favorite ride at Walt Disney World. It’s not just because it has all of the great thrilling drops, really the ride is not about that. It’s all about telling a story and then building suspense upon it, before delivering the knockout punch with the drops to send you home happy and dying to ride again. This is everything an amusement park ride should be. Just awesome!

Overall Rating: *****

Now, how 'bout you? Do you agree?

DawsonAR
07-31-2006, 02:43 PM
It is my favorite by a long shot.

WDW1894
07-31-2006, 02:50 PM
i luv this ride!!!!I EVEN have a saying from it just below!!!SEE!!!!!!!!!

Stickey
07-31-2006, 04:19 PM
TOT is arguably the best ride at WDW. It is in my top 3.
The random sequences make each ride unique.
:muscles:

BelleKP
07-31-2006, 05:34 PM
Depending on my general mood, this switches with Splash Mountain as my favorite ride at Walt Disney World.
Overall Rating: *****

Couldn't agree with you more! I still can't believe it took me three years and three trips before I would try it! :blush:
But now . . . well I just can't get enough of it! :thumbsup:

Disney Doll
07-31-2006, 05:41 PM
It is an awesome ride. DH and I both love it. You are exactly right about telling a story. To me that is what sets Disney rides apart from all the others.

CU Tiger
07-31-2006, 06:02 PM
ToT is a must ride for every trip to DW!! :thumbsup: I love to see our expressions on the pictures after the ride is over :eek: . :mickey:

karenrarintogo
07-31-2006, 08:15 PM
I think TOT is the best theme park attraction ever created. It is the standard by which I judge every other attraction. Some come close, in and out of WDW, for sure, but this one sets the bar, in my opinion. k. :minnie: :minnie:

ISLE39
07-31-2006, 08:36 PM
tower of terror opened in 1994 not 1996 and yes its my all time favorite ride

scoot241
07-31-2006, 09:03 PM
Tower of Terror is one of the marvels of Disney Imagineering. The entire attraction is perfectly themed.

I have heard recently, however, that they removed the letters from the bottom of the message board inside that spelled "EVIL TOWER U R DOOMED" or something to that effect. It was one of those little touches that always impressed me and I hope they put it back.

Mousemates
07-31-2006, 10:14 PM
Best thrill ride I've ever ridden...love the view (especially at night) just before you discover your lack of immunity to the effects of gravity.

Bobby T
08-01-2006, 02:08 AM
Tower of Terror is one of the marvels of Disney Imagineering. The entire attraction is perfectly themed.

I have heard recently, however, that they removed the letters from the bottom of the message board inside that spelled "EVIL TOWER U R DOOMED" or something to that effect. It was one of those little touches that always impressed me and I hope they put it back.

I've posted this nuance in previous posts regarding Disney secrets, and the responses also have indicated this detail is now extinct. I'm going back in November...one can only hope.

DIZNEYMOM
08-01-2006, 08:35 AM
I just love TOT. It took me most of the day at MGM to get enough guts to ride it ... trust me I had myself scared to death ... but lo and behold, I loved it. Got off & went on 2-3 more times.

Diznee4Me
08-01-2006, 09:46 AM
I agree with you about Splash - it is also my favorite, but ToT is way up on the list. Great ride and theming! :thumbsup:

wdwgrl377
08-01-2006, 10:10 AM
ToT is my 2cd favorite ride at WDW! The minute i went on it for the first time in 1996 I couldnt get enough of it. I remember back in the day when it wouldn't drop you like it does now!Although it was still awesome back then. but today's drops are extremely better and more thrilling than I remember back a few yrs ago.

I love to ride it at night time and see everything lit up. It makes it even better to ride at night - kinda adds to the story and all - and I love how Disney just adds a story to the ride. So awesome!

One day, yes, i will be purchasing the Bathrobe in the Gift shop! It's so cool!

mook3y
08-01-2006, 10:45 AM
Woot thanks for the GREAT review!!!

Would you all agree that this ride would be too intense for my DS 4 who is a little afraid of the dark? He does ok on HM and LOVES roller coasters and says he wants to go on it... but we think it might terrify our little guy.

Anyone else have experience here? THANKS! :cool:

WDW1894
08-01-2006, 10:53 AM
my first time going on the ride was when i was 3. i had a little fright of the dark but the ride didn't scare me at all.i rememberi asked my dad if i could ride it again.

Goofyguy2
08-01-2006, 11:17 AM
I think ToT is a great ride I just luv how the building looks and how the whole feel of the rid eis done I think it is disney at its best!!!!

mook3y
08-01-2006, 11:40 AM
my first time going on the ride was when i was 3. i had a little fright of the dark but the ride didn't scare me at all.i rememberi asked my dad if i could ride it again.
Thank you so much!
:thumbsup:
Mookey

DisneyorBust
08-01-2006, 01:26 PM
DisneyorBust Dad here,
The Tower of Terror is one of the attractions that really showcase the Disney Imagineers talents and attention to detail. It is one of my favorites because of this, you really get the feeling that you are in an abandoned luxury hotel. Oh and the ride is pretty cool too! :D

Bethanymouse
08-01-2006, 08:04 PM
Excellent review of an excellent ride. It is one of my favorites and never disappoints! Thanks for the review! :mickey:

Lightning McQueen
08-01-2006, 09:24 PM
Definitely agree. The view of MGM at night is spectacular, especially the Sorcerer's Hat.

Camping Mom
08-01-2006, 11:03 PM
I absolutely and positively HATE this ride!!!!! I rode it once years ago and nearly had a screaming fit before I got off. :scared: I rode again in June while we were there this year because everyone in our group "talked" me into it again. My the 4th drop I let loose with a blood curdling scream. I just can't handle that free falling. I have recurring nightmares, and have for years, about falling in an elevator. Now you see why this ride is like living my nightmare only I am wide awake!!!

Red Randal
07-14-2007, 11:08 AM
Didn't realize that editing the post does not constitute a bump. Oh well, here's to the day AFTER the ride's anniversary.

MrPeetrie
07-14-2007, 11:43 AM
I think TOT is the best theme park attraction ever created. It is the standard by which I judge every other attraction.

I couldn't agree more! :mickey:

LoriMistress
07-14-2007, 04:15 PM
One of the best rides throughout WDW parks.

mainemajor
07-14-2007, 07:13 PM
love everything about it.
love the first sight of it on every trip
love to hear the screams of riders as you approach the park
love how the screams only get louder as you near it
love the courtyard
love the lobby
love the intro
love the boiler room
love our bell hops - they do a great job
and of course love the ride.

Wish I could have been there yesterday and seen the guys hanging around out side the 13th floor - that would have been the icing on the cake

Rode it last year and the guy next to me got his family to ride it telling them it was only a simulator - like star tours - they were not amused by the end of several drops

countrycharmer
07-14-2007, 07:18 PM
It is awesome...one of those rides you love to hate - be afraid of yet you can't wait to get on it!!

DisneyPrincess17
07-14-2007, 09:16 PM
Deffinetly one of the best rides at WDW! I went on my 1st time when i was only 6 yrs old! Every year that i have gone back i have gone on it at least once! Last summer i went on 6 times on 1 nite! Its soooo much fun! i luv it!

Polynesian Dweller
07-14-2007, 09:37 PM
This is a must not miss every year. It was great when it opened but now with the random rides it is spectacular. No other drop ride comes close to it!! I've never seen a ride with some many smiling faces when people get off it. :number1:

beksy
07-15-2007, 10:28 AM
Best thrill ride I've ever ridden...love the view (especially at night) just before you discover your lack of immunity to the effects of gravity.

I agree! It is one of my favorites (I have the picture up in my room to prove it!). We like to try to hit non-busy times and ride it over and over! :cloud9:

brogan54
07-15-2007, 06:27 PM
definitley the best ride ever:party:

jszczur5
07-18-2007, 12:20 AM
ToT is tied with Soarin' for my most favourite attraction. My boys and I can ride it for hours (which is very possible in September). Hubby can only handle two or three trips before he cops out. My sons and I never hold on to the handles, which makes the ride that much better. Nothing beats coming right out of your seat with nothing but the lap belt holding you in.

SBETigg
07-19-2007, 12:56 PM
ToT is definitely a favorite, spot-on perfection by the Disney Imagineers. There is absolutely nothing to fault in ToT, unless you're afraid of drops and thrills and then it is to be avoided. But for what it is, a drop ride, it delivers above and beyond expectation for every detail. Incredible!

kaerbear178
07-19-2007, 01:05 PM
I had told my fiance about this ride and really built up the anticipation to where he wasn't sure if he wanted to ride it. He isn't a wuss about rides either so I must have really made it seem scary. I finally convinced him to go on during evening EMH and of course we had to go right back on agian. If you have never gone on it at night, make sure you do. It gives it a whole different element when you look out at the park in the dark. One of my favorite ride! :thumbsup:

BigRedDad
07-19-2007, 02:07 PM
I love ToT. One piece of info I learned on DiscoveryHD the other day about ToT. The person said there are 10,000 variations of the "drops". He said in a 7 day period, it is almost impossible to have the same ride twice.

Jared
07-19-2007, 02:30 PM
I rode Tower of Terror once and really have not wanted to try again. The drops were fun and the theming truly is fantastic, but I do not quite see the widespread appeal. Sorry to bring negativity to a great post and review.

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
07-19-2007, 02:40 PM
Tower of Terror is amazing. So much detail to everything, its awesome. I still like the movie and watch it every once and a while based on the ride. Dunst is so young though! Haha.

Sadly after being my #1 choice and favorite ride since 99, after my visit this past May, RnRC is my new favorite ride but a VERY VERY close 2nd is the ToT.

I should have picked up one of those bath robes last time.

Oh well, hopefully I can get one next year!

Chris :hatter:

like2workout
07-19-2007, 04:35 PM
i 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, (and so on), these comments. the tower of terror is my all-time favorite ride at disneyworld, or any other theme park! ilove the feeling i get when i'm walking up to it and hear the music playing.

grumpycajun
07-19-2007, 05:40 PM
DW and DD finally talked DS and I into going on it this year (they bribed us with $5.00 each:blush:). We LOVED it! In fact, while they went off to ride RnRC we got right back in line and rode it again, then all of us rode it together once more using the fast passes we got when we first entered the park. Definitely our new favorite thrill ride.