PDA

View Full Version : Lady in the Water

DVC2004
07-20-2006, 08:30 PM
So what do you think this is going to be like? I want to see it but hope it's good. I loved The Sixth Sense and Signs, and I hated Unbreakable and The Village. Anyone else plan on seeing this?

PirateLover
07-20-2006, 09:51 PM
So far I've heard good things about it. At first I wasn't interested but I'm slowly becoming intrigued. I never saw Unbreakable, but I loved the Sixth Sense. Was very dissapointed in Signs and The Village though.

JennyAnne
07-20-2006, 10:06 PM
So what do you think this is going to be like? I want to see it but hope it's good. I loved The Sixth Sense and Signs, and I hated Unbreakable and The Village. Anyone else plan on seeing this?I think we will probably end up seeing this, but my thoughts are exactly the same as yours. Really liked The Sixth Sense and Signs, but was very disappointed by the other two. It's either very good or a big disappointment. There are a couple of other movies we want to see first (Pirates, The Devil Wears Prada) but I'm sure we'll get to see this one at some point. I really like Paul Giamatti, so I'm hoping this one lands on the positive side. :thumbsup:

Melanie
07-20-2006, 11:24 PM
I really like Paul Giamatti, so I'm hoping this one lands on the positive side. :thumbsup:

He's excellent!

I'll probably see this while it's at the movies. I hope it's not disappointing.

PiratesLifeForMe3
07-20-2006, 11:41 PM
I think it should be a good movie. All of Shymalan's movies have been good. Most people will probably be disappointed though because they will go into it thinking it's going to be a "scary" movie like his other ones. The same thing was though of village, but it wasn't supposed to be scary, just like this one isn't. He's even said it himself that this is just a bedtime story he told to his kids with a twist ending. Don't let the trailers make you think it will be a scary movie and it should be good.

JennyAnne
07-20-2006, 11:46 PM
I think the problem for me is that The Sixth Sense was so good, and I SO didn't see that ending coming, that nothing has lived up to it since. I remember my DH (who was my boyfriend then) had already seen it but said that he liked it so much he wanted to see it again. He was sitting watching my face when I finally figured out the twist in the movie, and then of course I had to watch it again. I have looked forward to all of his movies since, but nothing has really been as good as The Sixth Sense to me.

MScholl13
07-21-2006, 12:42 AM
I would like to see this movie. I was disappointed in The Village and so I'd like this movie to redeem my faith in Shymalan as a director.

imaprincess!
07-21-2006, 01:28 AM
This movie caught my attention as well. I think I saw a review that wasn't very favorable, but usually my theory is that if the critics don't like it, it's probably a good movie!

Mousefever
07-21-2006, 02:17 AM
Don't let the trailers make you think it will be a scary movie and it should be good.

You know what I let the trailers do? Annoy me! I hate whispering children as narrators. I'm not sure why it grates on my nerves, it just does.

What's interesting is that before they rated the movie, they were advertising the previews during kid movies...G and PG movies. Not anymore, especially with the trailers they're showing now. I guess if it's a children's bedtime story, the children might end up in their parent's bed!

:dory:

NJDad
07-21-2006, 07:19 AM
This movie caught my attention as well. I think I saw a review that wasn't very favorable, but usually my theory is that if the critics don't like it, it's probably a good movie!

Well, I might quibble with your theory that critics only pan good movies, but if you're right, it should be great, as a visit to rottentomatoes.com shows that it's currently got only 24% positive reviews.

He's given himself a bigger role this time, which is a big reason why I don't care to see it. I don't think he's a good actor, so having him in it big time really would ruin the story as it takes me right out of my suspended disbelief.

DVC2004
07-21-2006, 08:12 AM
He's given himself a bigger role this time, which is a big reason why I don't care to see it. I don't think he's a good actor, so having him in it big time really would ruin the story as it takes me right out of my suspended disbelief.

I think it's sort of funny that he makes cameos (egotistical? ;) ), but if he has a major role...? What is he thinking?

ChipnDaleGal
07-21-2006, 08:56 AM
I love M. Night! I think he is very talented and a real cutie pie too!! Signs is the scariest movie I have ever seen in my life! I have watched it several times and it makes me nervous every single time. I also loved the Sixth Sense and the Village. I didn't care for Unbreakable as much. I am very anxious to see this new one. It looks really creepy and I think that the Howard girl is a great actress.

PiratesLifeForMe3
07-21-2006, 11:59 PM
I saw it earlier this afternoon. My girlfriend and I both loved this movie. It was really imaginative and humorous even in some parts. Paul Giamatti was perfect in it and the supporting cast was terrific. Night did give himself a pretty big role in this one, and I think he even changed the script to make an allusion to his controversy with Disney (after you see the movie you will understand). He also sticks it to movie critics a little bit for the harsh reviews that they give him. Overall though it was a great movie for what it was, a fairy tale, with no normal Night twist ending. I would give it 8.5/10.

iheartmickey
07-22-2006, 12:02 AM
I just came back from seeing it. I liked it. It was a good movie. The acting was very good and the story and plot was interesting.

Some of the people leaving the theater were dissapointed and I heard one girl say 'that [edited per TOS]'.

Don't go into the movie expecting a 'big twist'. You'll be dissapointed.

I like his direction and his writting. His movies are well thought out and funny. It's the little things that make his movies good. I would go see it again, but I would never take my DD.

Disneygirl2290
07-22-2006, 07:58 AM
I usually like M. Nights movies, so I have been planning to see this since I saw the trailer last fall. I went yesterday and I was disappointed, I found it boring, and I didn't like how everyone had no objection to doing what they were told. I don't know it just wasn't what I expected, but that's just my opinion.

prttynpnk
07-22-2006, 08:23 AM
The trailers from last fall really gave it a bedtime story feeling-I hope studio repackaging hasn't promised us a thriller to make it appeal to his previous audience when it really should be a fairytale.
I loved all 4 of his movies- even the much unloved Un breakable. I still want to have faith in M- even if his latest press is going in a distinctly Orson Welles direction!

glenpreece
07-24-2006, 08:45 PM
Can somebody PM me the jist of this movie? My parents went to see it and I didn't go 'cause I'm not a not Mknight fan. I just don't get what it is about all, is it a scary movie or what???

Crow
07-24-2006, 09:35 PM
the only one of his movies i have sorta liked was Unbreakable.
the lady i was dating at the time that i saw the Village w said during the move...this is where it gets good right?
yeah

MScholl13
07-24-2006, 11:24 PM
I saw it tonight. I have to say I was a bit disappointed. I just felt like there was a lot going on in the movie and not a lot of explanation behind things. Definetly not one of my fave movies by M.Night.

Figaro
07-26-2006, 07:38 AM
Sorry to bring up an "old" topic, but in my opinion, M Night Shyamalan is one of the best writers, directors, and producers out there today. Keep in mind, almost all his stories are written by him. All of them are also filmed in Pennsylvania. I never saw Unbreakable, but Sixth Sense, The Village, and Signs were all great stories and a break from the traditional scary movies of today in many different ways.

MNNHFLTX
07-26-2006, 10:39 AM
I doubt we'll see this in the theater, but I am interested in viewpoints here of those that have seen it. Did anyone else think the trailer made it look more like a Stephen King movie (as in Pet Sematary or Graveyard Shift) than an M. Night movie?

ChipnDaleGal
07-04-2007, 07:03 AM
I am pulling up a moldy old topic today. When Lady in the Water was in the theatres my daughter had a very busy schedule and we just never had the time to get to it as we had wanted. So we decided we would ctach it on DVD. Well, we did pick up the DVD several months ago and then put it on the shelf and forgot about it. Finally, we watched this past weekend and I can't quit thinking about it. We both fell in love with this movie. M Night tells such wonderful stories. He again brought together a cast of characters that I liked and was interested in. The story was a wonderful fairie tale and had both my daughter and I riveted from the beginning. I love it when a movie takes me out of my everyday life head and into another world for a few hours. :thumbsup:

thrillme
07-04-2007, 01:46 PM
If this is the movie "Lady in the Water" is the one that's on DVD now. I saw it and really wanted to SHOOT myself for renting it. :mad: Alas...different strokes for different folks I guess. There have been many "favorites" out there that I just didn't bond with. This movie just TERRIBLY disappointed me right up there with Bridge to Teribithia (I have no clue how to spell it).

I thought this movie was going to be lots of action, adventure with a little bit of scarey. But...It was more like a play and noboby knew what part they were supposed to play. I couldn't wait for it to end. I stuck to the end hoping for something spectacular and NOTHING happened. :sleepin:

But ask me how much I loved Fantastic Four "Rise of the Silver Surfer" :thumbsup: