PDA

View Full Version : Tipping? Who, How Much, and When?

angedeaile
07-13-2006, 10:22 PM
I was on a thread where they mentioned tipping DME Drivers, so that brought me to think...how many other situations would I be placed in that might be polite to tip? Especially ones that I wouldn't be aware of....

For a group of 3, I would assume tipping the DME driver 10 bucks? Or would you do 5?

Who would I tip at the resort? I don't see me needing to use any bellman or anything like that, but we would need our carry on luggage to be held, since we are arriving before check in. Same thing for check-out.

I also have a fantasmic dinning plan one night. Is our tip included in the price for that package? My guess is no. How about tipping at food carts? Do they politely suggest doing that?

Any other situations that might arise that I would need to tip?

I thought I would ask all of this, so I am not over tipping folks, since I could use all the money I can keep...but I dont want to be stingy when it isn't necessary :nono:

AnnetteFan
07-13-2006, 10:46 PM
To my knowledge as a Disney CM the only CM's allowed to accept tips are servers in table service restaurants and possibly some of the bell hops. If you try to tip someone in a quick serve restaurant they're supposed to refuse it, on account of how Disney doesn't want anyone to get the idea that the CM's are only being polite to get tips. I'm not sure but I doubt bus drivers are allowed to accept tips either.

Mfarquar
07-13-2006, 10:52 PM
I have found that Disney does not look kindly upon tipping many of its cast members. However, here's my experience (maybe im a weirdo):

We tried tipping our Magical Express driver twice and they informed us they could not accept.

I have tipped the cast member who has checked me in, in the past before, but ONLY for exceptional service. I only did so AFTER the exceptional service, not as a bribe. Apparently, this is frowned upon, but with a little coaxing, the cast member reluctantly accepted a $20 tip for going above and beyond the call of duty.

I always tip the maids around $2-3 dollars per day, per room. I tip EACH day (usually on the vanity or dresser in plain site, sometimes with a little paper that says "Thanks!"). This gives the maids an incentive to do a good job :) Also, it ensures that the person cleaning your room gets the tip. Maids change shifts, so it is possible that someone who only cleaned your room a couple of times may end up with the big tip at the end of the week, if you only tip once during your trip. I give an additional tip ($3-$5)to anyone who delivers anything I call for to the room (iron, extra towels, etc.)

At restaurants, I tip about 20%, as long as the waiter/waitress did a good job. When on the meal plan, I let Disney cover it, as it is included. I added an additional tip last trip on two occassions for exceptional service (Narcossee's and Kona Cafe). The last time I did the Fantasmic Dining Package drinks and tip was NOT included (can't remember about tax).

Disney does not have any tip jars of any sort at carts or stands and the cast members do not expect any tips at all, in my experience. I am not even sure they are allowed to accept them!

I have given a few dollars to the cast members at the bag check/holding area (between $2 -$15 according to how many bags and how much work they seemed to do). If you take magical express, chances are, you will not see who takes your bags to you room. They will show up, unless you sit around waiting for them. You also check your bags on your day of departure with Disney when you get your passes to check in for your flight and magical express back to the airport. I was told last time when I tried to tip the young woman who got our paperwork and bags together that she could not accept a tip.

If someone cannot accept a tip, or it does not seem appropriate (example: someone helpful in the gift shop, etc.), ask for their name and the name of their manager, explaning you would like to make sure the manager knows what a wonderful job they are doing. Then, when you get home, write a short note to both, saying how wonderful the particular cast member made your trip! Disney keeps a file of "good" and "bad" letters of their employees. "Good" letters help with promotions, raises, etc.! This may be the most valuable tip of all! :)

Have a FANTASTIC trip! :)

AnnetteFan
07-13-2006, 10:59 PM
Here's a hint if you're really desperate to leave a tip, the CM has to accept the tip on the third time you offer so that they don't seem rude. But to keep them from getting in trouble they have to report it to their manager which may mean they wouldn't actually get to keep their tip. Trust me, I once had to turn in a dollar someone gave me for helping them with their trays. I was really sad, I was hoping I could get some beef jerky out of the vending machine! But the nicest thing you can do for a CM is ask them their name and let someone in City Hall know how great their service was or let a manager know. That kind of recognition is great.

conorsmom2000
07-13-2006, 11:31 PM
We tried tipping our Magical Express driver twice and they informed us they could not accept.

I have to say that I'm surprised by this - to the best of my knowledge, DME drivers can accept tips (and I know my brother said he tipped). I would definitely have them on my "tip list", just like I would a Limo driver.

I tend to be an over-tipper, especially while on vacation! :D I know we tip Limo driver or DME, bellhop (usually $1 per bag), Mousekeeping ($5 per day), and though the DDP includes tip, we normally leave a little extra, especially for outstanding service. I think I'm forgetting someone but I can't remember right now... :blush:

If someone cannot accept a tip, or it does not seem appropriate (example: someone helpful in the gift shop, etc.), ask for their name and the name of their manager, explaning you would like to make sure the manager knows what a wonderful job they are doing. Then, when you get home, write a short note to both, saying how wonderful the particular cast member made your trip! Disney keeps a file of "good" and "bad" letters of their employees. "Good" letters help with promotions, raises, etc.! This may be the most valuable tip of all! :)

:thumbsup: That's excellent advice and something we did - just like I'd advise someone to complain if something went wrong, you should really let Disney know when a castmember went above and beyond! :mickey:

iheartmickey
07-14-2006, 08:17 AM
As I was reading this thread it dawned on me ... this is what should be done when you go any where. Not just Disney.

When you go into a store and you get exceptional sales help, take the persons name and write the company a letter. I wish half of my customers would do that for me, would help when it comes time for raises and promotions! :)

faline
07-14-2006, 08:47 AM
Tipping at Disney:
* The folks who clean your rooms
* Bellhops (except for those who deliver your bags to the room as part of the DME service) and the folks who park and/or retrieve your car
* Boat drivers for special cruises
* Carraige ride drivers
* Servers in restaurants

Per our very own Jeanne (piglet822) who works as a DME driver, DME drivers can accept tips and, in fact, really rely on these tips as part of their income. DME bus drivers are not Disney employees - they work for Mears.

Mickey'sGirl
07-14-2006, 09:04 AM
I agree with what AnnetteFan and ConorsMom were saying. If someone really impressed you, make a point of first letting him/her know, then by letting his/her boss know. (I make a point of doing this to parents too when I see their children doing something really nice/good -- It makes their eyes light up!).

We tipped DME coming and going last December. There was no hesitation by the drivers to accept the tips either. We are always discreet and do it with a handshake.

This is who we tip at WDW:
DME driver ($10 each way for family of 4)
Bell Services ($10 to get us into our room)
Mousekeeping ($5 per day left in the specially stickered up envelopes labelled "Housekeeping")
Turn-Down Service if available($5 per usage left in the same specially stickered up envelopes --I will be using this one baby!!)
Valet Parking if available ($2 in or out)
Table Service Restaurants (18-20%)

The service industry put me through University, so I am very conscious of tipping. We used our 2nd set of coin jar savings to set up our tip money. (The first set went to the boys for their spending money).

I hope this helps. :mickey:

Tink_BELL
07-14-2006, 09:26 AM
Another thing we have done in the past...

Instead of cash that they cannot accept, we have given the CMs at the registration desks and the ones who keep your luggage before check in/after check out boxes of candy. Since we live near a couple of chocolate factories, we take some of their specialties with us. The CMs seem to enjoy and are usually very surprised to get them.

amandaestes
07-14-2006, 09:30 AM
Thanks for all the great advise about how much and where to tip. It's really great to know a range so that you are not under or over tipping. :mickey:

Piglet822
07-14-2006, 03:35 PM

DME drivers can and do accept tips. We depend on these tips greatly. In the beginning of DME Disney did not want us accepting tips but that has since changed. In fact, in addition to our name signs we also display an additional sign stating that gratuities are permitted.

I'm not sure but I doubt bus drivers are allowed to accept tips either.

Disney bus drivers do not accept tips. DME drivers are not Disney drivers, we are employed by Mears.

AnnetteFan
07-14-2006, 06:51 PM
One time when I was working at Pecos Bill's and a guest knew I couldn't accept tips and bought me a piece of chocolate cream pie instead! It made my day even though I had to hide it from my boss until break.

WLfans
07-14-2006, 07:22 PM
We usually tip a buck a bag for the bellhops. When the bags arrive at the room and when we have them hold the bags due to early arrival.
We've also tipped bellhop staff for recommendations on getting around by taxi if need be.

Tipping the maids. I used to never do this. But after having four of us in the room and making a mess. We decided the last time to give $4 sometimes 5 per day. They did leave us towel art and used my daughter's dolls as props too. Don't expect towel art. Its not guaranteed.

The maid did leave extra towels and plenty of addition soap for the kids.

iheartdisney
07-14-2006, 09:35 PM
...and don't forget the CM's at the spas. We tip approx. 10-15% when my daughter and I partake as the boys play at the resort!

mamacatnv
07-15-2006, 08:40 PM
DME drivers can and do accept tips. We depend on these tips greatly. In the beginning of DME Disney did not want us accepting tips but that has since changed. In fact, in addition to our name signs we also display an additional sign stating that gratuities are permitted.
Our DME driver had the same sign posted in January. I think people confuse the DME drivers with the daily bus transport drivers.

As a driver yourself, what do you think is a reasonable tip???

For our family of 4, we had 5 duffle bags, a stroller and a small backless booster seat. We tipped $10.

Upon arrival at the airport I again tipped $10 to the skycap to get our luggage to the SWA ticket counter which is a bit of a walk.

We also tip wait staff 10% for buffets and 15-20% for table service, bell services $1 per bag and housekeeping only when they go out of their way to bring something extra to our room $2-5 depending on the special request. I also tipped the girl that did my DD's hair wrap.

Piglet822
07-15-2006, 11:10 PM
Our DME driver had the same sign posted in January. I think people confuse the DME drivers with the daily bus transport drivers.

As a driver yourself, what do you think is a reasonable tip???

For our family of 4, we had 5 duffle bags, a stroller and a small backless booster seat. We tipped $10.

Wow!! You're a very generous tipper :thumbsup: Honestly, I'd have been happy with $5 (next time you're in town, let me know. I want to be your driver ;) ).
I really can't tell you a $ amount to tip. Whatever you're comfortable with, maybe a little extra if the driver really goes above and beyond. Depending on the level of service I personally tip at least $5 but I tend to overtip just a bit since I know how hit or miss it can be.

magic my way
07-16-2006, 01:35 AM
This is a great thread.
Regarding Mousekeeping- Is it the same for all resorts, or should we factor in the cost of the room?

Natazu
07-16-2006, 03:53 AM
Here's our breakdown:

We tip servers 20-25%
We tip valets $5 (out)
We tip DME drivers $10
We tip bellmen $1 per bag (usually about $12)
We do not tip cleaning staff. I know this is a topic of debate. No offense to mousekeeping.

If we have poor service, we adjust the tip accordingly. If the service is bad enough that we would tip nothing, we'll let a manager know.

Mickey'sGirl
07-16-2006, 09:26 AM
This is a great thread.
Regarding Mousekeeping- Is it the same for all resorts, or should we factor in the cost of the room?
We tip the same regardless of the resort -- EXCEPT that at the Deluxe hotels, turndown service is available. We will tip $5 in the evening for this service -- so we will be tipping $10/day.
:mickey:

angedeaile
07-16-2006, 12:29 PM
Wow...so much great information. Thanks everyone! :thumbsup:

I also like the idea of placing money in envelopes and labeling them for mousekeeping. I wouldn't have thought of that. Infact, I was wondering how we would even tip them since we would be out of the room when they pop in.

I really like all the ideas on how to reward those that we can't tip. I know if someone goes above and beyond, I would hate to leave them not thinking it wasn't appreciated.

captnsparrow
07-16-2006, 02:51 PM
I'm taking the Breathless cruise for the first time this year. How much do I tip the Captian?

TheRustyScupper
07-16-2006, 08:19 PM
1) Disney CM's who CAN accept tips
. . . bellmen
. . . waiters and waitresses
. . . specialty cruise boat captains
. . . spa masseuse
. . . valet parking attendants

2) Disney CM's who CANNOT take tips, but no problem *
. . . room maids

3) Non-Disney employees (contractors) that CAN accept tips
. . . drivers for DME
. . . buggy and sleigh-ride drivers
. . . portrait artists
. . . caricature artists
. . . shadow artists
. . . hair wrap people
. . . fishing boat skippers
. . . ski boat skippers
. . . in-room baby sitters

4) Disney CM's who CANNOT accept tips **
. . . front desk
. . . concierge
. . . boat drivers, including kids' cruises
. . . cooks and chefs
. . . life guards or other recreations people
. . . park CM's
. . . tour guides
. . . on-site childcare centers
. . . recreation people working or gaming with kids
. . . drivers at Petty raceway

* Maids are not supposed to take money tips, but no one says anything when they do. Let's face it, it is NOT a job I would like. They get paid more than most CM's, but it is tough work.

** Tips given to non-tipped employees MUST be turned over to a manager, and the CM does not get to keep it. Not turning it over is an immediate termination offense. ANY Disney employee or contractor can take gifts, as long as they are non-cash and under $75 in value. They simply have to report them. (Of course, then they get taxed on them)

magicofdisney
07-16-2006, 11:59 PM
:thumbsup:Thank you Mr. Rusty for that thorough list. Now I'll just have to download and print it so I can take it with me to remember it all. :mickey:

TheDuckRocks
07-17-2006, 11:25 AM
Thank you, RustyScupper! :thumbsup: That is the best list I have seen dealing with this subject.
Now if I can only find out who and how much I should be tipping for our trip to WDW using Amtrak. :confused:

Bethis26fan
08-10-2006, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the tips on the tips. :crazy: lol I had to do it.

I think I would feel bad not to tip mousekeeping though. Until a last year I had never really thought about tipping the housekeepers till I made a trip w/ my aunt to NYC, and she had worked a summer housekeeping in RI and told me how much the used the tips.

spoiledraf
09-09-2007, 05:41 PM
Something not mentioned is the Fishing Excusions... Being rather pricey, I'm not likely to tip 15%, but I don't wnat to seem cheap either. Last time out, i gave the guide $30 for a four hour trip. I thought it was fair as both the guide and myself were actually fishing. Not often you get paid to go fishing!

I couldn't go much more as just the trip pretty much broke the bank!

chick20679
09-09-2007, 10:59 PM
I'd like to reinforce the notion others have left...

If you come across a CM that you'd like to tip but isn't allowed to take tips or even one that you do tip, but has really gone the extra mile for you or your family, WRITE A LETTER or stop by guest services to let someone know. Something that takes you only a minute is truly appreciated on the receiving end.

As someone who works in the customer service industry, I know how great it is to get a good letter written about you. Not only can it help that person when it comes to promotions/raises down the line, it just plain FEELS GOOD to know you helped make someones day more special! :magic:

iheartdisney
09-10-2007, 10:36 AM
If you come across a CM that you'd like to tip but isn't allowed to take tips or even one that you do tip, but has really gone the extra mile for you or your family, WRITE A LETTER or stop by guest services to let someone know. Something that takes you only a minute is truly appreciated on the receiving end.

As someone who works in the customer service industry, I know how great it is to get a good letter written about you. Not only can it help that person when it comes to promotions/raises down the line, it just plain FEELS GOOD to know you helped make someones day more special! :magic:

Not only that, but it encourages the CM and others to continue the level of service you praised in your letter.

Love the Mouse!
01-02-2008, 08:47 PM
Excellent information!!! Will come in handy our next trip. :thumbsup:

sillyolbear
01-03-2008, 09:21 AM
I tend to tip on the high side as I worked for tips in college/grad school and know what it is like to depend on them.

Towncar Driver-20%

Server-20%

Bell Service-$5 (when checking bags in or out)/$10 (when delivering to room and it is just my wife and myself--more if traveling with a larger party)

Mousekeeping-$2 per day (daily pre-DVC, now on check out day for DVC)

And being married to a former cast member--we make sure to acknowledge outstanding cast members with letters.

BeccaO
01-03-2008, 11:01 AM
I always have my daughter decorate envelopes for each day to leave in the room for mousekeeping to put their tips in. I go to the craft store and get stickers and glitter and stuff and then she spends the weekend before we leave decorating about 10 envelopes. It's really fun for her and I love the planning!!!!:thumbsup:

MOJoe
01-03-2008, 11:47 AM
I tipped a CM at the Splash Mountain Gift Shop for going "over and above" her duties. I had a few dollars in my hand, and as the transaction ended i reached out to shake her hand, placing the money in hers. She seemed very surprised, and because i suspected she would refuse it, i simply said "Thank You" and turned and walked away.
:mad: Darn! She had to turn it in? That stinks! Next time i'll go to City Hall.

jszczur5
01-03-2008, 03:47 PM
I always tip the maids around $2-3 dollars per day, per room. I tip EACH day (usually on the vanity or dresser in plain site, sometimes with a little paper that says "Thanks!"). This gives the maids an incentive to do a good job :) Also, it ensures that the person cleaning your room gets the tip. Maids change shifts, so it is possible that someone who only cleaned your room a couple of times may end up with the big tip at the end of the week, if you only tip once during your trip. I give an additional tip ($3-$5)to anyone who delivers anything I call for to the room (iron, extra towels, etc.)

Just wondering - why would you tip someone twice as much for a five minute delivery errand as compared to a thorough cleaning of your room?

mickeytravel
01-03-2008, 06:13 PM
What do you think you should tip if you are now on the 2008 dining plan if you go to Buffet, Like Chef Mickey or Ohana and Boma?

wkanack
04-16-2008, 10:41 AM
I have found that Disney does not look kindly upon tipping many of its cast members. However, here's my experience (maybe im a weirdo):

I have tipped the cast member who has checked me in, in the past before, but ONLY for exceptional service. I only did so AFTER the exceptional service, not as a bribe. Apparently, this is frowned upon, but with a little coaxing, the cast member reluctantly accepted a $20 tip for going above and beyond the call of duty.

At restaurants, I tip about 20%, as long as the waiter/waitress did a good job. When on the meal plan, I let Disney cover it, as it is included. I added an additional tip last trip on two occassions for exceptional service (Narcossee's and Kona Cafe). The last time I did the Fantasmic Dining Package drinks and tip was NOT included (can't remember about tax).

Disney does not have any tip jars of any sort at carts or stands and the cast members do not expect any tips at all, in my experience. I am not even sure they are allowed to accept them!

I have given a few dollars to the cast members at the bag check/holding area (between $2 -$15 according to how many bags and how much work they seemed to do). If you take magical express, chances are, you will not see who takes your bags to you room. They will show up, unless you sit around waiting for them. You also check your bags on your day of departure with Disney when you get your passes to check in for your flight and magical express back to the airport. I was told last time when I tried to tip the young woman who got our paperwork and bags together that she could not accept a tip.

Have a FANTASTIC trip! :)

DME drivers are not cast members! They are Mears employees and tipping them is most appropriate.

Piglet822
04-16-2008, 12:01 PM
DME drivers are not cast members! They are Mears employees and tipping them is most appropriate.

And appreciated.

To clear up any confusion regarding tipping DME drivers, when DME first started back in 2005 Disney did not want the DME drivers accepting tips but we fought it. DME drivers can now accept gratuities.

Beast_fanatic
04-16-2008, 02:09 PM
I just wanted to point out that this thread is quite old, so not all of the information in the previous posts is still true. Specifically, tips are no longer included on the Disney Dining Plan.

Just didn't want anyone to read this thread and get the wrong information!

pilk
04-16-2008, 02:19 PM
** Tips given to non-tipped employees MUST be turned over to a manager, and the CM does not get to keep it. Not turning it over is an immediate termination offense. ANY Disney employee or contractor can take gifts, as long as they are non-cash and under $75 in value. They simply have to report them. (Of course, then they get taxed on them)

Not to change the thread but, if a CM has to turn the money in, what happens to it? Does it end-up as revenue for Disney or eventually back to CMs in some form?:confused:

brivers222
08-03-2011, 01:59 PM
1) Disney CM's who CAN accept tips
. . . bellmen
. . . valet parking attendants

3) Non-Disney employees (contractors) that CAN accept tips
. . . buggy and sleigh-ride drivers

Okay so whats the going rate for tipping the above situations?

We will have 4 bags total (2 suitcases and 2 carryons)

also we will be renting a Chevy Aveo.....