PDA

View Full Version : Tiki Birds and Pirates of the Caribbean

seminole_kev
07-05-2006, 08:58 AM
Two different rides, but since I'm talking about two remakes of rides, I thought I'd lump them together. (Yes I know the Tiki Room was redone years ago, but finally saw it for the first time a couple of days ago)

First, let me say that I'm not one to just not like newer remakes of rides by default, but I finally got around to riding the newer version of the Tiki birds and man did they ruin that attraction. I can understand how some people though the old one was boring, but it was still a good show (at least to me). This newer version is kind of annoying and didn't really care for it.

I realize this is probably old news to most of you since it has been out this way for years, but yuk. Was disapointed.

(***potentially a really small spoiler or two below for Pirates)***

Upside though, new Pirates with Jack Sparrow was pretty cool. I like that update. I really thought, for a split second, that they had a live actor playing the first Jack Sparrow that you see. Really an impressive AA. Also, glad that they've improved the sounds of the cannons of the ship (unless I imagined it) they sounded much better. One part of the old version that I didn't like is it just sounded like compressed air. Seemed like the cannons firing sounded much better. Good show all around on that one.

MMouse6937
07-05-2006, 12:11 PM
I am excited about the update to POTC but I have to say that I also feel a little bit like we are missing some of the old magic by updating these original rides. I also liked the Enchanted Tiki Room update, but again feel like the old one was such a part of Walt that it's sad to see it go. I think that this is a necessary evil of progress. Things have to be more fun for future generations and so things have to be changed. We will always have the memories of the way they used to be!! :cloud9:

Earnhardt321
07-05-2006, 12:24 PM
I am glad to hear that POTC only got better!!
I have to waite a whole year to see it. :(

I have not gone on the Tiki Room since they changed it. I think it will stay that way. The old one was so good.

kakn7294
07-05-2006, 01:09 PM
I'm anxious to see POTC, as it is one of my favorite rides (and ironically the last one we rode in Sept). I'm not sure if I will like the changes or not. I hate the Tiki room changes. No offense to Iago or Zazu, I think they are great characters, but they just aren't a good addition to the Tiki room IMO. It may have been old and needing a rehab, but the old show was a classic. I wish they had just updated and not changed it.

2Epcot
07-05-2006, 02:21 PM
I only get to Disneyland about 8 times a year, but I did go just two weeks before my recent trip to WDW. Knowing I was going to see the new version of Tiki at WDW I wanted to make sure I saw Walt's original version. After seeing the "new managment" version a few weeks ago, there is no comparison. I put the new Tiki only a few notches about the Stitch remake for Alien Encounter.

I wish Disney would concentrate on new attractions rather the messing up current ones. Granted, not all upgrades have been bad .... the new Space Mountain at Disneyland, is great. I think they just need to be careful about some of these changes.

Grace
07-05-2006, 02:47 PM
:confused: Since Disney has added to POC to accomodate Captain Jack, but retained much of the original vintage scenario, I have to wonder why they couldn't do the same with Tiki Birds. A minor role for Iago might have been worked in while keeping the Tiki show as it was.

AnnetteFan
07-05-2006, 04:44 PM
I was actually ok with the new Tiki Birds. The Tiki Room was always a big joke in my family, we always went to watch just to giggle the whole time even though it was long and boring. The new version still makes me giggle and I think it's better for families and little kids.

Lauretta
07-05-2006, 04:47 PM
I have to wait to see the new POC. I'm not sure when I'll get back yet.
I loved the old "Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki...Tiki Room"! But I have to say I also enjoy the revised show. Iago is a little annoying but that's just how he is....right?! ;)

Katie_Armstrong
07-05-2006, 05:47 PM
:confused: Since Disney has added to POC to accomodate Captain Jack, but retained much of the original vintage scenario, I have to wonder why they couldn't do the same with Tiki Birds. A minor role for Iago might have been worked in while keeping the Tiki show as it was.

This was well put. Some things need to be updated but they need to keep some things the same. I have not seem Tiki Room yet, but I think we're going to skip it like we did last time.

3 days for us!

SpectroTrumpeteer
07-05-2006, 06:01 PM
I'm a fan of the old Tiki Room. However, I do like the "new management". My daughters relate better to the attraction because of Zazu and Iago.

As far as the Pirates update, here is my defintion of torture. The new update of my favorite ride in the park opened this past Saturday, our last day in the park was Friday. I have to wait until the next time. OOHHHH the agony!

Bear Lee
07-05-2006, 06:44 PM
The original Tiki Room show was the best.

Lauretta
07-05-2006, 07:38 PM
This was well put. Some things need to be updated but they need to keep some things the same. I have not seem Tiki Room yet, but I think we're going to skip it like we did last time.

3 days for us!

The new Tiki room still has some of the same characters. Pierre and some of the other familiar birds remain.

KAJUNKING
07-05-2006, 07:49 PM
i enjoyed under new management and cant wait to see the updated poc :mickey:

Jodi
07-05-2006, 07:51 PM
We leave in 48 days and I cannot wait !!! We've been to the old version of the Tiki Room and found it enjoyable and we will go to the new version as well. We have 2 DD's, 14 and 11 who enjoy it too. How can you not like anything Disney? Can't wait to ride the new POTC too. We go to see the movie on Friday. :thumbsup:

July 2002 All Star Movies
Sept. 2003 All Star Music
Sept. 2004 Pop Century
Sept. 2005 Pop Century
Aug. 2006 Pop Century

Lizzie
07-05-2006, 11:25 PM
Some days I like the upgrades and somedays I miss the old ones. But on the Tiki room I miss the old one. I am still unsure of Pirates, but they already messed with the original one. I wish they would have kept the same story line and script with Tiki Room and maybe just upgrade the birds.

cuteandfluffy
07-05-2006, 11:28 PM
I definitely miss the old Tiki Room. It's just not the same anymore... I don't know if I'll even go next time we are there. It just makes me sad. :sad: I'll have to eat an extra dole whip to make me feel better. :D

skylardad
07-06-2006, 12:46 AM
I recently purchased the original "Enchanted Tiki Room" CD at MK at an on-demand kiosk in the old theatre on Mian Street. Listening to it reminded me how original the original attraction was.

The concept was fresh, the music original, and it had some good songs and humor to it. Granted, it runs a bit long; however, perhaps that is where they could have updated the attraction - re-record the score while mixing in the original voice actors (they are classic and the best) and trim the length of the songs a bit to get the show in under 15 minutes. Sometimes less is more.

I once saw an interview with Steven Spielberg where he wanted to extend a couple of scenes in Raiders of the Lost Ark but George Lucas suggested to cut them shorter and tighten up the picture. Reason being, it will make the audience want more (i.e. repeat viewings and higher ticket revenue).

Back to the Tiki Room...

I can see why Iago and Zazu were brought in - for the current relativity to identify with the next generation of audiences; however, when the Tiki Room first opened in Disneyland they didn't need to have characters from a film to bring relevance to the attraction. Disney had Saludos Amigos to borrow from but they never made it into the attraction.

I think what we keep coming back to in these debates of updating classic attraction is that they opened as original attractions with original stories, music, technology, effects, etc. They didn't need a movie character tie-in.

If they want to bring in characters from recent films and projects, by all means do so, but do an original attraction involving the characters. When Disneyland and WDW opened, very few attractions were based on Disney films - Peter Pan, Mr. Toad, Snow White, Alice In Wonderland, and 20K Leagues are the only ones that come to mind right now. Everything else - an original story or concept.

Although Splash Mtn. was a later addition based on Song of the South, they told a great story in an all-encompassing ride. They didn't stick Brer Fox and Brer Bear in the Country Bears. And they created the ride without the intention of selling Song of the South DVDs (which will likely never happen anyway).

That is where WDW and the other parks need to go back to - original thinking and ideas. And, if an update like POTC makes sense and is done for the sake of storytelling and not marketing, then I'm for the change.

prttynpnk
07-06-2006, 06:56 AM
Taped file clip from a secret Disney Imagineer planning meeting....
"We can't change the ride- it'll be anarchy!Rioting and burning of decroative mouse shaped retail products"
"Ok, then just take out that silly parrot- I'm sure no one will notice"

FenwayGirl
07-06-2006, 09:20 AM
We actually enjoy the 'new' Tiki room...

DisneyNut2005
06-03-2007, 10:51 AM
We actually enjoy the 'new' Tiki room...

Me too.

It sickens me that so many people around here hate change.

Besides, Walt never ever set foot in WDW anyway, since it was okay to change WDW's Tiki Room.

By criticising the new Tiki Room, you're doing a great injustice to the Imagineers that created the new version, who are big fans of the old Tiki Room, and worked really hard to save the Room and keep it from getting torn out completely.

Oh, well. Lots of people are just never satisfied, never happy.:(

GrmGrninGost
06-03-2007, 11:53 AM
Me too.

It sickens me that so many people around here hate change.

Besides, Walt never ever set foot in WDW anyway, since it was okay to change WDW's Tiki Room.

By criticising the new Tiki Room, you're doing a great injustice to the Imagineers that created the new version, who are big fans of the old Tiki Room, and worked really hard to save the Room and keep it from getting torn out completely.

Oh, well. Lots of people are just never satisfied, never happy.:(

Sorry we make you sick. It has nothing to do with "change", it has to do with the fact I think this show is vastly inferior to the original. I am not trying to insult any imagineers or ruin anyone's day. That is my opinion.

LudwigVonDrake
06-03-2007, 12:03 PM
To see the original Tiki Room, you need to go to Disneyland.

EmiB
06-03-2007, 12:14 PM
the new Space Mountain at Disneyland, is great. I think they just need to be careful about some of these changes.

I agree wholeheartedly.

I am not a fan of the new tiki room because, as was already said, I felt like they totally changed the show rather than the subtler changes like the awesome new POTC.

And when I went to go see the original in DL, Maynard was working the attraction so I definitely did not get to see it in Walt's vision, but enjoyed it nonetheless!!!

snifflesmcg
06-03-2007, 12:14 PM
Sorry we make you sick. It has nothing to do with "change", it has to do with the fact I think this show is vastly inferior to the original. I am not trying to insult any imagineers or ruin anyone's day. That is my opinion.

Agreed! I happen to LOVE change. However, in an instance where the original Tiki room was a classic....it's like they say, if it's not broken, don't fix it. The classic was much better. I happen to love what they did with Stitch but most people don't.

DisneyNut2005
06-03-2007, 01:34 PM
Agreed! I happen to LOVE change. However, in an instance where the original Tiki room was a classic....it's like they say, if it's not broken, don't fix it. The classic was much better. I happen to love what they did with Stitch but most people don't.

The terrible truth is that the Tiki Room at WDW WAS broken. Attendance was dropping and most guests were either falling asleep or getting up and walking out in the middle of the show. And when things like that occur, it's not good.

So, they decided to upgrade the WDW Tiki show rather than scrap it altogether, which is what they almost did anyway.

This was while DL's Tiki Room was being allowed to rot away...LONG before it got its major overhaul in 2004.

The original show is not coming back to WDW anytime in the future because the majority of the park's guests (who, BTW, are not stupid and DO know the difference between bad and good stuff) didn't like it anymore. And the audience that they have to please the most is the millions of ordinary guests, not the few hundred crazed and selfish fanboys/fangirls on the Internet.

In WDW, the show never had the history or heritage of its DL counterpart. The original Tiki show at WDW was never as popular as it has been at DL.

I'm not bashing anyone. I'm just being realistic.

Long live the Enchanted Tiki Room: Under New Management!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
06-03-2007, 10:32 PM
We like both of the changes. :thumbsup:

POTC is our favorite ride in all of WDW. I think the changes they made are great. I could not believe how real Jack Sparrow looks!

As for the Tiki room, My kids love the new show. My DD wants to see it repeatedly each trip...lol.

PirateLover
06-03-2007, 11:30 PM
I'm not bashing anyone.

Actually, ya kinda are...
Just because there were people sleeping through the original or found it to be boring does not mean that it is impossible for anyone to prefer the original version. I can't take Gilbert Godfried screaming at me for that long of a period of time so I'm not a fan of the new show. I loved the original, subdued, "boring" version and I wish it wasn't changed so much. But according to you, that makes me a stupid, selfish crazed fangirl who is unable to tell the difference between good and bad. :confused:Why can't people have different opinions?????

(who, BTW, are not stupid and DO know the difference between bad and good stuff) didn't like it anymore. And the audience that they have to please the most is the millions of ordinary guests, not the few hundred crazed and selfish fanboys/fangirls on the Internet.

bleukarma
06-04-2007, 08:14 AM
Also, glad that they've improved the sounds of the cannons of the ship (unless I imagined it) they sounded much better. One part of the old version that I didn't like is it just sounded like compressed air. Seemed like the cannons firing sounded much better. Good show all around on that one.

I haven't seen the new Pirates and my aunt and I were just talking about how we like that the cannons aren't as loud as they used to be in the past (like 20 years ago). When they updated the ride did they make the cannon's louder again?

I also haven't seen the new Tiki Room. I didn't care for the old one and I doubt I will like the new one (I'm just not a big fan of birds...it has nothing to do with the ride itself) but I promised my aunt I would go in it with her when we are there in a few weeks.

LibertyTreeGal
06-04-2007, 08:19 AM
I totally agree with the original poster on both! I went and saw the new Tiki room in 2004 and did NOT go back in 2006. Yucky! On the positive side, I did see the original in March at DL and it is as wonderful as ever! My sons loved it!

I haven't seen the WDW POTC refurb, but I did see the DL refurb and it was very nicely done. I thought I might hate it, but it was pretty cool :thumbsup: now if only the rest of the ride was as good as the DL version!

Carol
06-04-2007, 08:25 AM
Let's not make broad generalizations! And please remember flaming is not allowed on these boards.

Let's move along .......

DisneyNut2005
06-04-2007, 09:47 AM
I went and saw the new Tiki room in 2004 and did NOT go back in 2006. Yucky!

I still completely disagree. The new Tiki Room rocks!

Sometimes, you folks have to learn to embrace change.

Jared
06-04-2007, 09:55 AM
I'm surprised to see these two attractions lumped together into one thread. The only thing they have in common is that they are both in Adventureland.

I love the new Pirates of the Caribbean and think adding Jack Sparrow made a great ride even better. Pirates of the Caribbean is now one of my top five attractions in Walt Disney World, not just the Magic Kingdom.

The Enchanted Tiki Room - Under New Management is a different story. Though I never saw the original, I was appalled by the current version. My mother, an ardent Disney fan like myself, has laughed about the show since we saw it a couple years ago.

To my family, The Enchanted Tiki Room - Under New Management is the worst attraction in the Magic Kingdom, if not any park, and I say that knowing nothing about the original classic production.

DawsonAR
06-04-2007, 10:32 AM
We love the new POTC and we also love the Tiki room. My kids wouldn't dare miss either of them on any trip.

Mandalorian30
06-04-2007, 10:59 AM
I really enjoyed the new version of PotC. I was a big fan of the original, and was just a tad worried about what the update would do to it, even though I'm a huge fam of the films. But, after riding it in march, all of my fears were quelled. The ride was fantastic! I loved the updated sounds and music. I loved the new AAs. And, I loved how even with the updates, it still kept the charm of the original!

As for the Tiki room, I have only ever see the "new management" version. I do enjoy it, but I would love to see the original. Which I will get to do next April in DL! Woot! :mickey:

Stu29573
06-04-2007, 11:11 AM
I haven't seen the POTC redo, so I can't really comment on it (other than to say I was a bit nervous when I heard they were doing it). However, the Tiki room I have seen...both versions multiple times. In my opinion (and that's all it is) the new version is a bit more entertaining. I remember as a kid kind of cringing at the corney jokes and songs of the original. Strangely enough, I'd probably enjoy the original more now than I did then, since I know the history, etc. But my point is that Disney's reasoning was simple. The crowds were way down, they changed it and the crowds are up. Say what you want about how sacred the original was, numbers don't lie. Also, if you still want to see the original, you can always go to DL....

LibertyTreeGal
06-04-2007, 12:24 PM
I still completely disagree. The new Tiki Room rocks!

Sometimes, you folks have to learn to embrace change.

My goodness, why are you taking this so personally -- I didn't like the new version on it's own merits. The original had almost nothing to do with it. I just simply wasn't entertained. For you to make generalisations that I don't like change would be to completely ignore many of my other posts (and the posts of others here) about how much I liked the refurb of POTC, HM (in DL), Space Mountain -- plus I want to see a Cars refurb of Indy.

The mods asked you not to make generalizations or to be insulting, but it seems that you can't let this go..... and I must say that not all change is worth embracing. We embrace enough of it around here to make your arguments against those of us who do not like it, and repeated posts here about it puzzling. Why should I embrace something I didn't enjoy just because you want me to?

EmiB
06-04-2007, 07:15 PM
My goodness, why are you taking this so personally -- I didn't like the new version on it's own merits. The original had almost nothing to do with it. I just simply wasn't entertained. For you to make generalisations that I don't like change would be to completely ignore many of my other posts (and the posts of others here) about how much I liked the refurb of POTC, HM (in DL), Space Mountain -- plus I want to see a Cars refurb of Indy.

The mods asked you not to make generalizations or to be insulting, but it seems that you can't let this go..... and I must say that not all change is worth embracing. (...)

Well said!!!!

Camping Mom
06-04-2007, 07:26 PM
I only saw Tiki once and my children did not enjoy it, but I liked that I saw what Walt created. We have not attended since it was redone. As far as POTC, WOW!! The extras they added are amazing and so very lifelike! We saw it in January and my kids can't wait to see it in December when we go back! Absolutely loved it!:pirate: