PDA

View Full Version : WDW Rated & Reviewed - The American Adventure

Red Randal
07-04-2006, 10:13 AM
Hello everyone, I'm back! Sorry to anyone who was looking for new reviews over the past month but I put writing them on hold due to numerous factors, among them a death in the family. But, I'm here now and I am back in the mood to be funny and talk about Disney.

In celebration of the Fourth of July, Independence Day here in America, I figured I'd look at Disney's premier patriotic showcase: The American Adventure. :flag:

The American Adventure

Intro: Joining the nice movies and little boat rides representing countries in World Showcase is America’s contribution: a multimedia extravaganza featuring some of the most advanced audio-animatronic characters ever created. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, I’m just saying.

Queue: It’s unlikely that you will ever have to stand in a queue here, as the theatre is simply enormous. The building that houses the theatre also has a gorgeous colonial style atrium where you can wait for the upcoming performance and also view some preshow entertainment.

Preshow: The “Voices of Liberty” singers and other groups sometimes perform in the atrium or outside the building at the United States pavilion. If you have the time and/or desire to see them, they put on an excellent show.

Ride: The show opens up in darkness permeated by the voice of Ben Franklin. He lets us know that America was built on work, bloodshed, loneliness, and fear. Then an audio-animatronic scene rises up onto the stage. Ben Franklin continues talking, joined in the scene by Mark Twain. "Many different people make up America, and over the years we have become more alike than different" we learn. Franklin offers to let Twain know about the beginnings of America. This leads into a video and song about the pilgrims. Thankfully, Ben and Mark do not do the singing; instead they allow a rather talented choir do it. The song is about the Pilgrims’ desire to be free and their endurance through hardship in the New World. Yet, somehow, all this manages to do is make me crave turkey.

The song ends and this leads Franklin to talk about the passion governing the desire to break free from England. A video chronicles the Boston Tea Party and the King sending troops into Boston. This leads us to an audio-animatronics scene featuring Ben Franklin paying Thomas Jefferson a visit as he writes the Declaration of Independence. He reads some of the Declaration and this leads us into another video scene of pictures of the Revolutionary War shown as what sounds to be an old marching song is sung. This leads us to the next AA scene, in Valley Forge. George Washington stands atop his horse as two soldiers bemoan the bitter cold. Then the singing continues. When it is all said and done, 13 colonies become the United States and we are free.

Mark Twain chimes in to let us know that he is proud to be part of the next age in American history as we expanded westward. It’s nice to know that Twain is proud of leading to the extermination of an entire indigenous people. Then Twain delivers the line of the show: “it seems a whole bunch of folks found out that "We the people", didn't yet mean all the people.” It’s “a whole bunch of folks” that makes it gold. Who is he? President Bush?

Fredrick Douglass doesn’t like slavery. And really, who does? Still, he manages to sum up his feelings in a little speech about hope. Nice of him not to get us too melancholy, after all, we ARE at Disney World. Then this leads to a family, presumably from one of the Border States, getting a photograph taken (with a VERY primitive camera). Two brothers argue the cause of the war, one taking the North’s side and one taking that of the South. They actually manage to work “Billy Yank” and “Johnny Reb” into the 4 sentence exchange. This leads to the photograph being taken (and then displayed on the overhead screen) and leads into a beautiful slow song as photographs from the war are shown.

A sample of the lyrics: “one was gentle, one was kind, one came home, one stayed behind; a cannonball don't pay no mind, if you're gentle or if you're kind, it don't think of the folks behind.” I was actually going to make fun of this and now I’m practically tearing up. They may have glazed over the slavery issue but they did an amazing job with the human drama of the brother vs. brother saga. This is why I could never study too much history, it’s just too depressing. Just to drive the point home, after the song ends they show the picture from the beginning of the scene, only now just the one brother appears.

This leads into Ben Franklin talking about the rebuilding of the nation and the influx of immigrants to the country. He calls it "a new dawn" for the American Adventure. Chief Joseph appears on stage in AA form and he’s none too pleased. “Enough! Enough of your words! Let your new dawn lead to the final sunset on my people's suffering. When I think of our condition, my heart is heavy. I see men of my own race treated like outlaws or shot down like animals. I hope that all of us may be brothers with one country around us and one government for all.” Well, he had me up until “one country around us.” Unlike Fredrick Douglass’ soft spoken oratory about slavery, Chief Joseph does a good job actually sounding mad. Of course, because we want this to be a happy show, he claims to want to have one big happy government. Yeah, he actually says “government.” I BET that’s what the Native Americans wanted, one big happy government. ++

Everyone quickly forgets about the Native Americans as we head right into a scene about suffrage at the Centennial expo. Susan B. Anthony wants equality while Alexander Graham Bell wants people to marvel at his telephone. Andrew Carnegie chimes in to brag about his steel company building a new concert hall in New York. What was the point of this scene? Speaking of no point, Theodore Roosevelt is then shown on a cliff marveling at our natural wonders while complaining about the lumber industry. John Muir wants Teddy to spearhead the effort for conservation. Quick, who’s John Muir?

Next we are informed that America was thrust into the job of being a world leader. Yeah, it’s not like we want to bully around all the smaller countries, we were thrust into the job, poor unfortunate souls that we were. Some video of war planes somehow manages to lead into Charles Lindbergh. Then, immediately we hear a news report of the stock market crash leading into the Great Depression. Some down trodden AA people at a gas station sing a song titled “Brother, Can You Spare a Dime?” Then they hear FDR delivering a radio broadcast. This leads to an AA Roosevelt giving his “the only thing we have to fear…” speech. The scene switches back to the AA folks at the gas station. They hear Will Rogers on the radio and this leads to an AA Rogers twirling a rope and talking about the nation potentially going to war. We immediately hear FDR’s speech following the attack on Pearl Harbor (with the part about Japan cut out). This leads us to a full stage scene in a shipyard. A woman (representing Rosie the Riveter) works on a ship. Then the AA’s head back under the stage and a full screen displays a video of clips from the 20th century as the attraction’s theme song “Golden Dream” plays. It is all very inspirational. JFK delivers the famous line from his inaugural “ask not what your country can do for you…” and then Martin Luther King delivers a part of his “I Have a Dream” speech. This is followed by the moon landing (“the Eagle has landed”). The song continues and concludes with fireworks over the Statue of Liberty in New York harbor.

This leads to Franklin and Twain appearing on the top of the statue. Franklin says the Founders were visionaries, not dreamers. Ben continues to taut the merits of our constitution. Twain points out that America is still a very young nation. Franklin says that we can all fulfill the promise of America, freedom for all people. “The American Adventure will continue for a long, long time.” “Golden Dream” reprises as the sun rises in glory over Franklin and Twain on the torch of the Statue as the show concludes.

Thoughts: Here’s the problem with a show like this: you can not make it without getting people mad. Think about what the movies and rides in the other countries are about. Norway has Maelstrom, a ride about Norwegian folklore. Canada and France both have movies about the beauty of their countries. But America has to go out and make a huge spectacle about our history. There is simply no way to properly do that in a theme park. To make matters worse, the show does not simply gloss over the negative parts of the country’s history, it trivializes them. “There was this terrible institution of slavery that led to a bloody civil war, but really it was because the South did not understand the North’s love of freedom.” “Sure, we wiped out an entire race of native peoples, but really all the Native Americans wanted was to be part of our government.” Please!

The show does have some very uplifting and powerful moments. The songs are all quite moving and the ending is particularly inspiring, but the history is all cleaned up and “Disneyfied.” If you can go into the show willing to ignore the glossing over of all the bad parts of our history, you will leave with a new sense of patriotism. If you want to see a truly historical show, you’ll have to find one elsewhere. (Thanks Bandman!)

Overall Rating: *** 1/2

Red Randal
07-04-2006, 10:16 AM
...because 10,014 characters is too many.

++: Note- I read somewhere that parts of Chief Joseph's dialogue are taken from his actual writing. Until someone can confirm that for me, I'll continue to make fun of how ridiculous it sounds.

Also, I would just like to mention that I lost power at my house while writing this. I'll assume that the ghost of Benjamin Franklin is mad that I only gave it ***1/2.

R.I.P. Nan (1924-2006)

Red Randal
07-04-2006, 10:21 AM
...My internet also went out while posting that last message. Ben Franklin is not pleased at all. That, or someone has just been overloading the power grid with their air conditioning. I'm sticking with the former.

CAS
07-04-2006, 10:46 AM
This sounds more like liberal talking points than a review. It's funny what makes people mad. If the AA makes you mad then perhaps you need more to focus on in life instead of living in the past.

Gekko959
07-04-2006, 11:26 AM
I give the American adventure five stars because I love it. How much history do you expect to be crammed into half an hour anyway? It had a positive spirit that is too often missing from discussion of US History.

I doubt the "blame America crowd" would like it, it seems they only want to think about the 20% of the things this country did wrong, and gloss over the 80% that we get right. But if you're a patriotic American, I think you'll like the show.

Gekko :flag:

Surfer Stitch
07-04-2006, 11:43 AM
I like the American Adventure and think it very well done. Sure there are some moments that are left out and there are moments that make you think what were we doing but it gives you exactly what you should expect a brief history of America. The show is moving and I've noticed several older people weeping. The preshow is nice especially at Christmas.

PirateLover
07-04-2006, 12:29 PM
I don't see anything wrong with this attraction. Every country tends to focus on the things they do right, not the things they do wrong. World Showcase is supposed to celebrate nations, not chastise them or point out all the things they do wrong, why should America's attraction be any different. Besides, Walt himself was a huge patriot who loved America and Americana. Long live the American Adventure ;) :flag:

WEDTOPIA
07-04-2006, 02:50 PM
Red ,I've got to defend this attraction. It definately does not gloss over the bad parts of our history ...

the Frederick Douglas scene , the Civil War scene , the Chief Joseph scene , the World War II scene ,along with the montage photos of the Kennedy's ,Martin Luther King , Billie Jean King , etc. pretty much disputes your claim. All the bad stuff is there.

It was an almost impossible task for Disney to strike the balance between historical accuracy and entertainment. I think they did an outstanding job. There is a lot of rah , rah U.S.A. ,but it also 'fesses up to our warts.

I've got to give this attraction a 4 star rating all the way. By the way ,this is the attraction I nominated for most creative Disney design.

:mickey:

prttynpnk
07-04-2006, 03:53 PM
The Worldshowcase is just that- a showcase! A place to display the best of that nation. All countries have problems and histories I'm sure they wish hadn't occured, but they all have things to be proud of and be inspired by- especially America. Is the Worldshowcase really the place to apologize to everyone, or a place to remind us of where we've been and what we've accomplished? I'd say our forefathers deserve the latter. :thumbsup:

LandFan
07-04-2006, 06:39 PM
I love the American Adventure! I Never fail to get choked up by the end of the show. Golden Dream is an awesome song too.

Dulcee
07-04-2006, 07:00 PM
My Parents constantly roll their eyes for my occasional over the top liberal views but even I love the American Adventure. World showcase is about being proud of your country and I think the American Adventure shows that we are a proud nation...

On that note, the food at America doesn't show any pride for our country. :sick:

disneynarula
07-04-2006, 07:00 PM
I think this is a fantastic attraction. All the other countries glass over the negatives of their history as well. Epcot was never designed to learn the entire history of the host nations but rather to gather the essence of the country.

CAS
07-05-2006, 08:44 AM
I just re-read the originator's post and was even more confused by his findings.

Why, then, didn't the Mexican pavilion showcase their horribly currupt government and law enforcement system? Why doesn't Morocco display it's terrible civil rights policies and it's attitude towards women? Why doesn't China highlight the Tiananmen Square Massacre? If you think the US is tops on your list of evil countries then you'd be rudely awakened to see the rest of the world.

Because Epcot is about what our countries do best. Try to see the world in a little more positive way.

ThanxForNoticin
07-05-2006, 01:00 PM
I think AA is an outstanding attraction. As several posters have stated above, EPCOT and the World Showcase are to show off the positives of our world and our countries - a dozen or so countries on display side by side in harmony. And I know that ALL those countries have events in their history that they are not proud of. The World Showcase is not a political forum to debate those events.

So with all that being said, I will enjoy the AA, and all the other countries in WS, every time I get the chance to visit EPCOT. And I will concentrate on all the positives the WS has to offer.

Grace
07-05-2006, 02:54 PM
:thumbsup: AA it Tops with us! It's a well-thought-out program, and even our kids are inspired by it. Long live the USA!

Goofyguy2
07-05-2006, 03:22 PM
I htink American adventure is a great ride with the big sets and the great music I think it is one of the top shows in EPOCT... they really out did themselves with this show

Brainy Belle
07-05-2006, 03:46 PM
I'll admit that I sometimes take an overly critical look at American history. I'm in college, and its often expected of me to make the standard critical remarks regarding our history. In any case, I saw AA as a really well done Disney attraction promoting patriotism and American history. Sure it has a feel good "America can overcome anything" message, but it doesn't shy away from presenting some of the negative aspects in our history. It talks about the trail of tears, Frederick Douglass' stirring narrative, and inequality present in the government for women. I wouldn't expect EPCOT to give me a Howard Zinn (a revisionist historian who sometimes rewrites history in an effort to find the negative in America) interpretation of American history, and it doesn't. It does, however, give a more complete look at history than I ever received in grade school and for that I think the American Adventure should be commended.

frakers
07-06-2006, 08:26 AM
I guess Japan forgot to mention the sneak attack on the United States in their presentations. And Germany and Italy must have forgotten that whole World War II thing.
Of course you show the positive! Good grief. But the AA also recognizes that there were negatives. I have problems with how some things are presented and many are left out, but the show is a very well done show, especially given the time constraints.
I guess this review was like a movie review. Anyone can do them. It's purely the opinion of the writer. Heck, our local paper gave "Cars" a C-, saying there was too much sexual innuendo and racist stereotyping (idiots), so I guess anyone can write a review of something and hope folks will listen.
See, I just did.

FenwayGirl
07-06-2006, 09:17 AM
This is one of my favorite attractions in Epcot. Never miss it! It always chokes me up!

kakn7294
07-06-2006, 09:33 AM
We're all entitled to our opinions, and mine on the AA is that it is great! I always get a little choked-up at this one. I think it covers US history about as well as you can in an attraction like this in such a short amount of time. I agree that it does gloss over some of the "bad" parts, but at least they are mentioned. None of the other pavilions talk about the "bad" points of their countries. Yes, Disney is tooting the American horn, but Walt was an American and proud of it and I bet he would have loved AA. :flag:

Cigar Rex
07-06-2006, 09:58 AM
While I appreciate your review of an attraction which I already love, I refuse to feel guilty about being an American. Sorry but what else would you expect from a showcase of America IN America? I think you may have opened up a can of worms which may or may not have been your intention...

NJGIRL
07-06-2006, 04:55 PM
I love this attraction and see nothing wrong with their history lesson.

2Epcot
07-06-2006, 05:04 PM
The American Adventure has always been one of my favoite attractions at Epcot. One of my happiest days was when I did one of the tours, and found out we were going to go backstage at AA and see how all the sets work. That was very cool. :mickey:

mrsgaribaldi
07-07-2006, 07:16 AM
It is Disneyfied, and rightly so, it's in Disney World!!! I agree with what CAS said :thumbsup:
It's supposed to be uplifting and I think it is. :flag:

Red Randal
07-07-2006, 04:14 PM
I really expected this post to cause heated debate, so much so that I considered not posting it. I am really amazed that so many people came out defending the show (maybe it was the 4th of July bringing out patriotic spirit in everyone, I dunno.)

My biggest problem is that the show tries to glorify America through history. It should not do that. Mexico gets away with glossing over it's corrupt political system and history of racial extermination by making the ride about something other than history and politics. They don't include an Aztec chief saying "I really wish one day we and the Spanish could just be in one happy government."

People seem to have ignored the last sentance I wrote: "If you can go into the show willing to ignore the glossing over of all the bad parts of our history, you will leave with a new sense of patriotism. If you want to see a truly historical show, you’ll have to find one else ware."

Crow
07-07-2006, 09:36 PM
AA took a lot of work, the animatronics are great. the diff parts of the show are under the front of the hall and the building uses reverse forced perspective i found out these points on the tour.
yes there are points that have been covered more, but not in the time allowed. i guess it is Disneyfied, but at least some of the points were mentioned instead of left out completly
and i do not go into the show every trip. I think it is a good presentation , mayb could use some updating but it wont happen due to cost.
but i did go there for the moment of silence a few days after 9/11 and was joined by many others who teared up. i was also there the next yr for the 1 yr anniversary.

AndrewJackson
07-07-2006, 09:51 PM
I don't think Disney or the Imagineers ever wanted this to be a complete history of America. They wanted it to be an uplifting message, using the opportunity for the host country to brag a bit. I doubt if anyone enters the theatre expecting a complete history of America. So to judge it on those merits is unfair.

The purpose was to make it educational and entertaining. It is certainly both. I give it 5/5 stars.

PirateLover
07-07-2006, 10:34 PM
People seem to have ignored the last sentance I wrote:"If you can go into the show willing to ignore the glossing over of all the bad parts of our history, you will leave with a new sense of patriotism. If you want to see a truly historical show, you’ll have to find one else ware."
I can read. I don't think anyone ignored your statement. Most of us just feel that WDW/World Showcase is not the place to get down and dirty into the dark annals of the history of any country. Therefore, we disagree with your bringing the rating of the ride down because of the glossing over of some blotches on our nations history. American Adventure is supposed to be patriotic. I don't think any show representing a nation's history in that short period of time could ever be completely accurate. Of course you choose to celebrate the successes rather than admonish the failures. I agree with Bill that the exchange between Twain and Franklin helps to put it all into perspective.

Red Randal
10-01-2007, 11:40 PM
Bump! Happy Birthday Epcot!

GrmGrninGost
10-02-2007, 07:55 PM
As an American, this attraction is wonderful! I walk out of that theatre feeling a sense of pride in who I am! I give it 5 stars, only because that is the most I'm allowed to give! :mickey:

Hayden's Dad
10-03-2007, 09:36 AM
I have to throw my vote with EVERY other poster on this thread. This is a wonderful attraction a not miss for us. It is designed to be uplifting and patriotic. It could of very easily been done as a rah rah we have never done anything wrong, but it gives you a tidbit of the history of our country that made us great. Besides we can't have a full in depth history lesson for a 30 minute show it is designed to be entertaining and to strike your interest so you can find out for yourself about the incidents of our past that made us who we are. I give it 5 out of 5.

jillluvsdisney
10-03-2007, 12:36 PM
I enjoy the show also. I do thank you for your review. I like being able to read another perspective on things.

kbean
10-03-2007, 12:44 PM
Let it go. It's just an attraction.

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-03-2007, 01:35 PM
I have really enjoyed reading everyone's perspective on this attraction...

DH and I were leary to go and see the AA, as we didn't feel like sitting through 30 minutes of "America is great", but we went and we were pleasantly surprised.

It isn't presented that America is perfect, the "bad" moments aren't ignored, but even we felt uplifted at the end, with the belief that with spirit, dedication and hard work, anything is possible.

So, from an "outsiders" point-of-view, it was a great attraction.

DizNee143
10-04-2007, 12:29 PM
even though i always use to go to sleep when i saw this show when i was younger..i actually kinda like the show now that im older...
i cant stand history...i figured it happened already..i could care less..and i cant stand anything political...god i know nothing on that subject...but this really has caught my eye and i really enjoy this show now..:mickey:

FatherForce
10-04-2007, 04:17 PM
It always amazes me when someone says " I can't stand history"

If you ignore the lessons you learned as child, then how do you mature into an adult?

Society is the same.

History and politics dictate our lives and will shape our future.

I, for one, like the AA, and appreciate that some of the shameful parts of our history are mentioned. I wouldn't expect it to be a overtly politically critical assesment.

And I'm a proud Liberal AND a proud American.

"Those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it."

texasteacher
10-04-2007, 10:34 PM
I don't see anything wrong with this attraction. Every country tends to focus on the things they do right, not the things they do wrong. World Showcase is supposed to celebrate nations, not chastise them or point out all the things they do wrong, why should America's attraction be any different. Besides, Walt himself was a huge patriot who loved America and Americana. Long live the American Adventure ;) :flag:

Well said!

CAS
07-02-2008, 07:48 AM
Bump. I just found these posts inspirational again and thought others may want to relive or read for the first time. I'm proud to be an American.

BandMan
07-02-2008, 12:57 PM
I couldn't disagree with your review more. I am a card-carrying liberal who is well aware of the evils in America's past, and I despise the "love America or get out" mentality so many express. But I find AA to be a wonderful montage of America's highpoints. As others have expressed, we don't go to Germany expecting a lesson about Hitler, or to Japan to read about atrocities committed in Manchuria. Yes, we've had our struggles, but we have a great deal to be proud of as a nation and a people. Our history is no more savage than most nations, and far less so than many. Do we really expect Disney to disign an attraction that will leave people feeling depressed about who they are? For that matter, do we have no right to feel pride in our nation?

As for you not believing the Chief Joseph quote, you've obviously never studied this great leader and advocate of peace. It may sound unbelieveable, but they are true.

Finally, I'm not a terrific speller myself, but it's 'elsewhere', not 'else ware'. (Sorry, it just been bothering me.)

Red Randal
07-02-2008, 01:29 PM
Bump. I just found these posts inspirational again and thought others may want to relive or read for the first time. I'm proud to be an American.

Never thought I'd log onto Intercot and see one of my old reviews getting reads again. Coolness. Thanks for bumping. Though I have a feeling you're feeling patriotic less from what I said than from everyone else telling me to shut up and move to Canada. ;)

I couldn't disagree with your review more. I am a card-carrying liberal who is well aware of the evils in America's past, and I despise the "love America or get out" mentality so many express. But I find AA to be a wonderful montage of America's highpoints. As others have expressed, we don't go to Germany expecting a lesson about Hitler, or to Japan to read about atrocities committed in Manchuria. Yes, we've had our struggles, but we have a great deal to be proud of as a nation and a people. Our history is no more savage than most nations, and far less so than many. Do we really expect Disney to disign an attraction that will leave people feeling depressed about who they are? For that matter, do we have no right to feel pride in our nation?
Finally, I'm not a terrific speller myself, but it's 'elsewhere', not 'else ware'. (Sorry, it just been bothering me.)

OK...I never said that Hitler should be a part of the Germany pavilion or Mao a part of the China pavilion or whatever. My point is that every other pavilion is about food, shopping, archetecture...CULTURE! The American pavilion is not about culture, it's about HISTORY. If they had a "History of Germany" animatronic show and said "some people called Nazi's didn't see eye to eye with the Jews but soon enough Germany rose to become a respected global power once again" then I would have equally as much of a problem with it.

There is NO NEED to do a history of America show. Why can't the pavilion be about the natural beauty of America? Why can't it be about the great cultural achievements we've made? That's my problem with the ride. It's got nothing to do with having a problem with America.

As to the "else ware" thing, haha, that annoys me too. I take pride in trying to speak/write properly but my spelling is simply terrible so I rely on spellcheck. And spellcheck doesn't seem to believe that I think it's spelled "elseware."

Spellcheck also hates "animatronic," which becomes an issue in these reviews.

castlelady36
07-02-2008, 01:43 PM
It's a simple attraction...notice the word ATTRACTION....it is for fun and perhaps an enjoyable rest time for the heavy walking and heat for some. It is not meant for individuals to get out of the "attraction" and discuss their political views....most of us just enjoy it for what it is.....and I'll say it again an attraction that is interesting to listen to and provides great music.

BandMan
07-02-2008, 01:44 PM
The American pavilion is not about culture, it's about HISTORY.

Fair enough - but do you think you'd have less of a fight on your hands when trying to define 'American Culture'? Do we do this from a Euro-centric point of view? What about enslaved Africans? How about Asians or even Russians on the west coast? Don't forget that many Hispanic-Americans were here before the Pilgrims. What about Native Americans? And on and on.... Who do we leave out? What IS the quintessential American culture? I think you'd have just as much trouble if we try to define it as the Norman Rockwell America.

Personally, I think you're safer with history.

ryels
07-02-2008, 01:56 PM
My biggest problem is that the show tries to glorify America through history. It should not do that. Mexico gets away with glossing over it's corrupt political system and history of racial extermination by making the ride about something other than history and politics.

People seem to have ignored the last sentance I wrote: "If you can go into the show willing to ignore the glossing over of all the bad parts of our history, you will leave with a new sense of patriotism. If you want to see a truly historical show, you’ll have to find one else ware."

I don't see how you can say they "glossed over" the bad parts. I was always impressed with the mere fact that the bad stuff was even mentioned. I suppose they could show an animatronic version of "Roots" or "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee," but I'm not sure that would be all that uplifting nor fair.

I'm grateful to be an American and think this country is a pretty special place. And I would hope that people from other countries feel the same way about their respective homelands as well. World Showcase is my absolute favorite place in WDW. When I go see the exhibits from other countries, I most certainly DON'T want to see kamikaze planes flying over Japan, concentration camps in Germany or burning Tibetan temples in China. I want to see the best these countries have to offer (especially in the food department :thumbsup:).

I guess I've always considered WS to be about the best the world has to offer. I hope it stays that way.

Guya103
07-02-2008, 02:00 PM

I could not have said it any better if I had tried. Well done.

I have one point to add. It is not so much a fact, rather an observation. This is one of our favorite attractions at EPCOT and without a doubt our favorite in the WS. We, as a family, notice that the majority of the foregin tourists tend to "skip" that attraction all together. This is merely an observation after visiting the attraction many times. I could imply several things but I won't. You can draw your own opinions.:mickey:

WDWHart
07-02-2008, 02:04 PM
Personally I have been to WDW about a dozen times and EPCOT about twice that and have never been to this Attraction. It's not because I hate History I just havent had the drive to go to it. But, after this heated exchange of just One Man's Opinion, I Must See It Imediately. ;) :blush: I feel almost less of an American for not seeing it already, heck i've riden the Mexican and Norway rides many times.

Hey while I'm in here would it be a good Attraction for a 17 month old child? He is really quiet most opf the time!!

Imagineer1981
07-02-2008, 03:22 PM
take politics out of it and its a great show

DizNee143
07-03-2008, 10:58 AM
It always amazes me when someone says " I can't stand history"

If you ignore the lessons you learned as child, then how do you mature into an adult?

"Those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it."

oh well..still cant stand it!

Red Randal
07-03-2008, 11:00 AM
would it be a good Attraction for a 17 month old child? He is really quiet most opf the time!!

It's not exceptionally loud or "scary" by any means. I doubt he'll get much out of it, since it's a history show. It's dark enouh that he'll probably just fall asleep.

Have you seen the Hall of Presidents? It's that only larger, grander, and with less presidents.

IloveDisney71
07-03-2008, 01:35 PM
The Worldshowcase is just that- a showcase! A place to display the best of that nation. All countries have problems and histories I'm sure they wish hadn't occured, but they all have things to be proud of and be inspired by- especially America. Is the Worldshowcase really the place to apologize to everyone, or a place to remind us of where we've been and what we've accomplished? I'd say our forefathers deserve the latter. :thumbsup:

Very well said. I think it's a very patriotic and inspiring attraction. I also love the song at the end.

RAIDER
07-04-2008, 07:48 AM
I am from the UK but the AA is one of the best "shows /attractions" in all of WDW and the final song " Golden Wings" is so uplifting i wish we had a similar version song for the UK :thumbsup:

Brownie54
07-04-2008, 11:15 AM
When I read the original post I thought "wow, I wonder how many times the moderators have had to step in." Shame on me for doubting fellow Intercotees. We all have our own opinions, and no matter how passionately we feel about them, all have been stated without attacking anyone.

Like most, I expect this attraction to be "disneyfied". I always enjoy it and get teary eyed at the end. Although I haven't been very proud of our country's actions since 9/11, I am proud to be an American. The ability to disagree and to "change" is what makes this America.

LudwigVonDrake
07-04-2008, 11:44 AM
I've only seen this show once. It was about 10 years ago and it was one of those brutally hot August days and the A/C was so nice. I sat down to watch the show and the next thing I knew, my snoring woke me up. I was out cold. There were two teenage girls in front of me who were also out like a light.

I might go back to see the show again to see what I missed :D

disneymom2000
07-04-2008, 01:38 PM
I too am a lover of AA I love listening to the singers and then heading up the escalator (area covered with flags) and then the show itself is just overwhelming. It is hard to put over 200 years of history into a short time. I think Disney did a wonderful job.:thumbsup:

Cigar Rex
07-07-2008, 08:20 AM
I love, love, love the American Adventure. This attraction and Illuminations always give me the biggest lump in my throat and bring me to tears every time! It's a great little history lesson for those that never took the time to learn about our founding. If this show does not make you feel patriotic then nothing will. You should fee inspired to read and learn more about the good old USA. :number1: