PDA

View Full Version : Living Seas '05-'06 Refubishment (Phase I)

Figment!
11-24-2005, 01:24 AM
The Living Seas officially re-opened today (11/23/05) in the fashion as described in the recent media release. Guests do now enter (and exit) through the former exit of the pavilion. This dual entrance/exit appears to be temporary as there is no signage noting this as the entrance to the pavilion on the outside, only a large temporary sign directing guests towards this area as the entrance to the pavilion. This sign appears where the "Imagineers at Play" sign once stood on a themed construction wall. The wall still sections off much of the exterior of the pavilion including the former entrance. As there is a permanent sign on the inside of the pavilion noting these same doors as an exit to Future World, it is expected that this area will permanently be the exit.

The new entrance/exit is comprised of dark blue automatic glass doors that are etched with bubbles and waves. As previously reported in the media release the Hydrolators have been removed, guests now enter into a new passage area with a Nemo shop to one side. The shop carries an array of Nemo related merchandise including character plushes, t-shirts and other kid aimed items. Beyond this passage area is the newly refurbished SeaBase (the “Alpha” has been dropped from the name with the new overlay). All existing exhibits prior to the refurbishment remain unchanged and no new exhibits have been added. The only changes to the area have been completely cosmetic. The whole SeaBase area has had much of the technology/futuristic décor removed and the entire area has been repainted with an aqua blue and green color scheme. As far as the Nemo overlay aspect, while there have indeed been some Nemo related décor additions to the area, it has been quite minimal. These décor additions are rather simple and subtle additions like new murals of Nemo and friends and the like. The interior soundtrack to the pavilion has been changed to a Finding Nemo related soundtrack, although the exterior soundtrack is still the same as it was before the rehab.

As expected a portion of the pavilion is still under construction. A large rehab wall blocks off guests from the original entrance area to the pavilion and the "Imagineers at Play" sign that once stood in front of the pavilion now resides on this wall inside the pavilion, confirming that indeed there will be a phase II to this refurbishment. In addition to this rehab wall, one of the nearby viewing areas has also been blocked off, it is unknown if this is a permanent change or if this is related to the ongoing construction.

According to Cast Members close to the source, the original entrance area to the pavilion is in the process of being gutted. The other set of Hydrolaters and original pre-show area have already been reportedly removed. Construction is reportedly poised to begin on the track for the planned ride, but will reportedly not start till early 2006. The details of this ride are still unknown, but due to the new “Nemo Subs” attraction coming to Disneyland; it is expected that this ride will share some of the same attributes namely the new state-of-the-art holographic effects.

It is currently unknown if the work for phase II will cause any further down time for the whole pavilion, but it is expected that if there is any it will be brief and only to connect the two areas. It is being expected that the pavilion will operate in its (now) current form for the vast majority of the time till the phase II re-opening.

skisurf2
11-24-2005, 02:17 AM
Well hate to see the hydrlators go, but at least they are moving in the right direction. Looking forward to the rides return.

vizsla
11-24-2005, 07:25 AM
Thanks for the update.

hoop de do
11-24-2005, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the update. I appreciate it.

PA Disney Freaks - :mjump: :mjump:

Jace Heiden
11-24-2005, 12:12 PM
Sounds exciting! Thanks for all of the info! :number1:

Dreamer7080
11-24-2005, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the update! The new doors sound really pretty! lol
I'm kind of happy to see the hydrolators go. I always felt they were such a waste of time. And it always ruined it when we were in the hydrolator and somebody alays yelled 'we arent even moving anywhere!!' But somebody always says that in the elevator at Disney Quest too when we really are moving. Figures :rolleyes:
I really hope the sea cabs are coming back and soon!!
:turkey: :pilgram:

Coleby
11-25-2005, 11:18 AM
Had the opportunity to visit the Living Seas yesterday. Let me just say that the refurb looks great. I miss the hydrolaters though. I am starting to think that I am the only one that actually liked them. Anyway, I was very happy that it wasn't too Nemofied. I like Nemo and everything, just not overkilll. Let me also say that it was PACKED! Wall to wall people inside lol. Everyone wanted to see the living seas. It looks so nice and clean. Also they won't allow you inside with food or drink. I did ask a CM and she said yes the ride is coming back. She just didn't say in what form. Anyway. thought I would post the update on here as well. It looks good :thumbsup:

MCFantasia
11-25-2005, 04:54 PM
OK ... let me start off by saying that this isn't anything offical ... just an idea I had. With everyone carrying on about the return (hopefully) of the SeaCabs I starting thinking to myself, "How could the SeaCabs fit into the story of the newly 'Nemoized' Living Seas?" I think I figured out whats going to happen here.

*PURE SPECULATION*

I think the SeaCabs will return as Sea Turtles. Guests will enter the pavilion through its original entrance. There they will board sea turtles which will help guests "catch a ride on the EAC" to get to the coral reef. Once there, Nemo and friends will be waiting for them.

I think this is a very likely idea that fits the new theme of the Living Seas. What do you think? I know the return of the SeaCabs has been discussed, I have not read every one of these discussions. This is just my idea and I wanted to throw it out there.

pdrlkr
11-25-2005, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the update Jason! :thumbsup: :mickey:

Strmchsr
11-25-2005, 06:56 PM
I think the SeaCabs will return as Sea Turtles. Guests will enter the pavilion through its original entrance. There they will board sea turtles which will help guests "catch a ride on the EAC" to get to the coral reef. Once there, Nemo and friends will be waiting for them.

I think that's a darn cool idea. I miss the sea cabs. They made the entrance into Living Seas a lot more magical. I think your idea has merit and I'd certainly enjoy it. Of course, with you being in Atlanta and the new aquarium there, Living Seas will be nothing!

kms1066heb
11-25-2005, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the update. The changes sound good but I too will miss the hydrolators. :(

MCFantasia, I like the idea you've speculated for the ride. I can't wait to find out exactly what the ride will be.
:mickey:

tommy-m
11-25-2005, 10:37 PM
Cheers for the update jason - can't wait to see it myself next summer - just hope the phase II will be completed by then.

T :mickey:

Silvertip309
11-25-2005, 11:51 PM
Hey everyone, I work at The Livivng Seas. Yes, the ride is coming back! It is being expanded to a bigger version of its old self. I liked the idea MCFantasia had about riding turtles in, but imagine something closer to a sea shell from what I've been told (or maybe seen. Maybe.) The theater where you used to watch "The Seas" has been gutted to make way for the expansion of the ride. The first theater with the circular screen has also been demolished, but the screen is still there, leading me to believe that it will still serve as a preshow type area before boarding the ride. Also, the winding que area still remains but everything has been removed from it. I haven't been inside the pavillion since it reopend the other day, but from what I've seen over the last few months, I like; I hope you guys do too.

andypooh
11-26-2005, 12:14 AM
Does this mean the movie is gone? I loved that movie. I found it very relaxing.

gonk12
11-26-2005, 09:07 AM
yes, the movie is gone.

Fantasia, I like your idea alot. There is some of the track sitting in the old preshow area, but no sign of any cars as far as i'm aware, but I'll keep an eye out if I get over there. A bunch of my friends from the land were all moved over to the seas for the reopening, so I'll check with them.

Jasper
11-27-2005, 01:21 AM
It certainly seems to make sense that the Seabase area was only given a refurb and not a complete change over. Although Atlanta, Chattanooga (or is it Knoxville?), and some other huge aquariums have come on line recently the ones at the living seas are still a close competitor in the race for largest in the world. So, in order to actually change them would have really required bulldozing the place and starting over.

With that in mind, the next logical thought is that the path under the overhead connector aquarium is still in place. I have to believe that this is too good of a view for Disney not to put something back through that path way for us guests!

Womble
11-27-2005, 01:53 AM
Thanks for the update. :thumbsup:

Does this mean the movie is gone? I loved that movie. I found it very relaxing.
Even though I enjoyed the film and liked the 10 minutes sitting down.
I did think the film as a whole seemed dated!

Had the opportunity to visit the Living Seas yesterday.
Let me also say that it was PACKED!
I guessed that was going to happen!
I’m also a little worried with the idea of bringing “a ride” back into the Living Seas pavilion. I remember having to queue for well over an hour and a half back in the mid 90’s just to get into the pavilion.
If goes back to that then I will be giving the whole thing a miss!
I assume if it does become that popular again, then it will get a Fast Pass lane.

Jasper
11-27-2005, 02:05 AM
Once the newness of the changes wears off I suspect it will go back to its more normal size crowds.

riding_big_thunder
11-27-2005, 07:34 AM
I never got to experience the Sea Cabs so I'm glad to hear of their return, should be a great addition to Epcot, which is just getting better and better every day, IMO.

Aero
11-28-2005, 11:28 AM
Hey -- I was one of the last people to ride the Hydrolators! We were there on the last day before the pavilion closed in August. Is there any guess as to when Phase II will be completed?

Figment!
11-28-2005, 03:59 PM
Is there any guess as to when Phase II will be completed?

Spring/Summer 2006

dixielandings
11-29-2005, 10:02 AM
Well, we missed the return of the LS by just a few days! We were there just a couple of weeks ago and were sad that it was all boarded up.

I guess I won't miss the hydrolators that much - they were very appropriate when you were coming off of the sea cabs and being "transported" to the undersea base. But w/out the sea cabs, they have seemed out of place.

I too am glad that the Nemofication seems minimal. I love the little guy, but in my humble (yet correct) opinion ;) , Epcot has never needed much help from characters to make it great. With that said, I am really looking forward to seeing what they do with the new ride! And I certainly can't fault Disney for paying kudos to one of their biggest successes ever.

And hopefully, I'll have a chance soon, in all the Christmas madness (!), to sit down and write a trip report! We had a blast, of course...

Spaceship Tigger
11-30-2005, 07:36 AM
Although Atlanta, Chattanooga (or is it Knoxville?), and some other huge aquariums have come on line recently the ones at the living seas are still a close competitor in the race for largest in the world.

Chattanooga has a nice freshwater aquarium. The other one you're thinking of is the Ripley's one in Gatlinburg and is a large saltwater aquarium with a moving tunnel.

I hope phase two works out well. I'm pretty disappointed in the fact that The Living Seas was closed for our September trip so that they could rip out the hydrolators (which I liked) and add some Nemo murals and music.

lasttuesday
12-02-2005, 01:35 AM
So are there any pics of Phase I out there? Come on guys, share the love :nudge:

joelkfla
12-02-2005, 08:07 AM
There's not much to take a picture of. Everything was just painted blue.

Aside from a bit of new signage, the only physical change was the enlarged gift shop. (And walling off the front half of the pavillion and the lower observation windows.)

Personally, I liked the old futuristic look a lot better.

On the other hand, the rethemed former Ice Station Cool looks very bright and airy (more Epcot-y), but it was closed when I walked by on the way out last night.

beachezncream
12-03-2005, 08:50 AM
I too will miss the hydrolators.... although it was totally fake I <3'd them! also i can't wait to see updates!!!!!!!
this will rock I looooooove the living seas..... noone in my family shares the same love... mom or dad they want to let me go because they love me and I soo love it..... so it all works out well!

:princess: lindsay

Bethanymouse
12-03-2005, 02:35 PM
Well it sounds pretty good. I cant wait for the new Nemo ride. I am a huge fan...I hope they have Dori navigating!

mattfusf
12-04-2005, 09:22 PM
So are there any pics of Phase I out there? Come on guys, share the love :nudge:

Here are a few pictures I took last week:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fus/68560052/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fus/68550084/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fus/68549321/

lasttuesday
12-04-2005, 10:59 PM
Thanks! I'm glad to see that things are still recognizable, just freshened up! :thumbsup:

Figment!
12-04-2005, 11:45 PM
Here are a few pictures I took last week:

Welcome to INTERCOT :hi: , Glad you're here :)

Thanks for the pictures :thumbsup:

backdrop
12-28-2005, 06:58 PM
Spring/Summer 2006

what dose that mean?

big blue and hairy
12-29-2005, 07:21 AM
DW and I were at the Living Seas earlier this month. I had a funny encounter, while my wife was taking a rest room break. I was waiting by the elevators for her. This woman leading about six people is looking around feverishly...she comes to the elevators, the doors open, and she says, no these aren't right, where are the elevators that take to to the Seabase? She was very upset. I told her the hydrolators were gone. She looked at me, confused, :huh: I told her they didn't actually go anywhere. Then she looked at me like I had completely lost my mind, :crazy: and led the group off in search of the hydrolators. :rolleyes: :laughing:

big blue and hairy
12-29-2005, 07:24 AM
what dose that mean?
That means, we're not sure how long it's going to take, :scratch: so we're not pinning ourselves down.... :fresh:

backdrop
12-31-2005, 01:02 AM
okay because we were planning to go to wdw in the summer

Figment!
12-31-2005, 01:57 AM
okay because we were planning to go to wdw in the summer

There is an update on a estimated ride date in Tidbits 12-27-05 (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=58576)

It looks like it likley won't open until after summer ...

backdrop
12-31-2005, 05:29 AM
will seabase still be open?

Figment!
12-31-2005, 01:18 PM
will seabase still be open?

Only Disney knows for sure

But all things held equal, Sebase will likley still be open through the Summer 2006.

It has been rumored that the whole pavillion will be closed for a short period of time prior to the Grand re-opening of phase II, but (if the current rumors are correct) this will likley not be till mid Fall 2006. Disney has made no official announcement to this effect.

jefmblrd
01-11-2006, 09:37 AM
I've always been one of those people who loved the Living Seas, although maybe I only loved the potential of the Living Seas. What I mean is that it was a great idea-hydrolators, Sea Cabs. Sea Base Alpha, but it never felt liked it quite worked.

I also loved the film and the woman saying "Try to Imagine" and "the deluge"--great stuff.

So, I'm glad to see that they are trying to make the attraction better, and I'm glad that there are some positive comments so far. And Turtle Talk with Crush was great. We all remember what they did to the Imagination ride. I still miss that.

And, by the way, the idea for riding the turtles on the EAC is genius. It sounds better than sea shells.

dixielandings
03-13-2006, 03:21 PM
DW and I were at the Living Seas earlier this month. I had a funny encounter, while my wife was taking a rest room break. I was waiting by the elevators for her. This woman leading about six people is looking around feverishly...she comes to the elevators, the doors open, and she says, no these aren't right, where are the elevators that take to to the Seabase? She was very upset. I told her the hydrolators were gone. She looked at me, confused, :huh: I told her they didn't actually go anywhere. Then she looked at me like I had completely lost my mind, :crazy: and led the group off in search of the hydrolators. :rolleyes: :laughing:

This is HIGH-larious!

Oh and whoever referred to "the Dell-oojhe" - loved it! I think I'll actually miss the movie. And I'd forgotten all about the tunnel under the reef! Can't wait to get back down there.

Will there be a Phase III? Or will the grand reopening mark the completion? Btw, I always miss "the way things used to be", but I will especially miss the old music and the 20K stuff (isn't this where Nemo got his name, after all?) in the curvy queue line - one of my favorite queue areas anywhere, for whatever reason.

:nemo:

RAIDER
03-14-2006, 04:01 AM
Thanks for the update .....i hope its ready in DEC 2006 when i arrive :thumbsup: :mickey: