PDA

View Full Version : IAAPA Attractions Expo, Atlanta 2005 Coverage

John
11-14-2005, 10:31 AM
IAAPA Attractions Expo Atlanta 2005 Coverage

Coverage of this years IAAPA Attractions Expo from the Georgia World Congress Center in Atlanta, Georgia begins this Wednesday - November 16 on INTERCOT and runs thru the 18th. We'll have three reporters on the ground bringing you the latest news, photos and information about the business of Amusement.

In attendance, John Y, WDWacky & Castmember X

Stay tuned, this years event looks to be very exciting!

LarryBoy
11-14-2005, 11:00 AM
I want to oficially welcome ya'll to Atlanta, or at least when you get here. Let me know if you have any ATL questions, or need a good place to eat. Enjoy my home town!

murphy1
11-15-2005, 10:22 AM
Hey there, I will welcome you too!! I live a little north of the city, and I am sure you will have a great time. Dh is a GT grad too Larry! This is the farthest north I went so I am still close to my home state of Florida.

Shari

John
11-15-2005, 11:39 AM
One day to go..... :woohoo:

Mufasa
11-15-2005, 02:05 PM
I expect pictures of the latest paint options for the 2006 model Tilt-a-Whirls in this year's IAAPA reports. And of course a run down of the new food options too.

John
11-15-2005, 03:38 PM
I expect pictures of the latest paint options for the 2006 model Tilt-a-Whirls in this year's IAAPA reports. And of course a run down of the new food options too.

Will do :)

mktiggerman
11-15-2005, 04:30 PM
hmm... I wonder if I'll bump into you guys there..

palmage
11-16-2005, 10:40 PM
I used to have to work IAAPA working for Barco Daylight Displays.
That one of the coolest shows to work, but it seemed to be more suited for the smaller parks and carneys.
Not a whole lot Disney would want.

Mufasa
11-16-2005, 10:53 PM

Oh, but of course Disney has to be there to see what's new in the Zamperla Rides catalog to know what new hub and spoke spinning rides and variations on Dumbo to add to the parks! *yes, that was meant to be sarcastic*

Seriously- at each of the IAAPA conventions there's usually a good representation from Imagineering in attendance checking out the floor and all of the major ride manufacturers are also represented at the show so it's a good one-stop location to catch up with your contacts and even to get a sense of what trends are being identified by companies that Disney has to look at to maintain an edge.

And of course there are also the industry keynotes in which Disney participates- speaking of which- JohnY- anyone planning to attend Marty Sklar's presentation about Mickey's Next Ten Commandments? (I think Bob Rogers of BRC Imagination Arts is moderating that which should be make for an interesting talk).

John
11-17-2005, 12:56 AM
Hey All:

It was an exausting day but we had a great time exploring the massive Georgia World Congress Center. The show was split among 2 different venues which was a little odd and made for a ton of walking.

Anyway, didn't have time to write up comments yet, but there are 3 pages of photos up. Check it out. Plenty more to come...

http://www.intercot.com/news/iaapa

John

John
11-17-2005, 01:18 AM
I used to have to work IAAPA working for Barco Daylight Displays.
That one of the coolest shows to work, but it seemed to be more suited for the smaller parks and carneys.

Have to say I disagree. This show covers everything from rides, concecessions, souvineers etc. for just about every size park that exists. It also showcases park managment and education forums that help everyone from the smallest mom and pop to big corporations like Disney. From a ride perspective, the folks from Verkoma helped design Rock n' Roller Coaster and there are plenty of capable vendors that could pull off dark ride attractions. Every year you see something new. Every year brings a new twist to a classic attraction.

We got pictures today from the Shiekra car that I think B&M did. Very impressive. Will post later.

Mufasa... wasn't aware Marty was here. Did you catch when he was speaking? Will have to ask around. Tomorrow nite is a trip to the Christmas Celebration at Stone Mountain.

x
11-17-2005, 01:35 AM
Exhausting is right. After a night of 4 hours of sleep and a mad rush to catch my flight from Orlando I staggered into the World Congress Center with JohnY and company with only a touch of the morning nausia/headache brought on by the day's traveling still lingering.

What's the first thing I do? I eat samples of pizza, fried chicken tenders, italian ice, cold stone creamery chocolate/peanut butter ice cream topped off with a cup of dippin dots style ice cream. I was unable to locate the almonds on day 1.

After only 20 miles of walking we got a fairly good look at the floor and quite a few pictures (some video too). We played some blacklight mini golf and played several rounds of carnival style water cannon games. I think those things are rigged.

We cut the day a little short in search of some nightime entertainment and after a warning from the front desk of our hotel we just decided to wrap it up for the night :)

We should have some interesting stuff to post from day two. I look forward to hitting the floor again after a good night's rest and a shorter trip to the convention center. Maybe my stomach will finally be able to handle a ride on the Disko.

Bring on the carni food!

Mufasa
11-17-2005, 03:53 AM
Mufasa... wasn't aware Marty was here. Did you catch when he was speaking? Will have to ask around. Tomorrow nite is a trip to the Christmas Celebration at Stone Mountain.

Marty isn't speaking until 4:30pm- here's the write-up:

Mickey's Ten More Commandments

Track: Keynote
When: Thursday, November 17, 2005, 4:30 PM - 6:00 PM

This year IAAPA Hall of Famer Marty Sklar celebrates 50 years of service at WDI. His classic "Mickey's Ten Commandments" have guided an entire generation of designers and operators of destination entertainment. Now his new "Ten More Commandments" expands on the original, with the perspective and wisdom that only half a century can bring. Join Bob Rogers, BRC Imagination Arts, as he hosts and interviews industry legend Marty Sklar to hand down some more commandments.

fig's disney
11-17-2005, 05:39 PM
quick question on this event......can anyone get into this or do you have to get an invite. Also, if there is a cost, what is it. Hoping it will be my job one day (except I will be working @ Disney).....thanks for any info.

John
11-17-2005, 08:03 PM
Cost is $75 for the public. BTW, we did get to see marty today... impressive. More later.

Patricia
11-18-2005, 02:21 AM
BTW, we did get to see marty today... impressive.

Now I'm jealous.