PDA

View Full Version : Paul Winchell, voice of Tigger in 'Winne the Pooh', dies at 82

hope2survive
06-26-2005, 09:51 AM
Article published Jun 26, 2005
Paul Winchell, voice of Tigger in 'Winnie the Pooh,' dies at 82

The Associated Press

Paul Winchell, a noted ventriloquist, inventor and longtime voice of Tigger in animated versions of A.A. Milne's "Winnie the Pooh," has died. He was 82.

Winchell died early Friday morning in his sleep at his Moorpark home, Burt Du Brow, a television producer and close family friend, told the Los Angeles Times.

Over six decades, Winchell parlayed his talent for creating countless voices from the earliest days of television to film. Outside of his career in entertainment, Winchell also was an inventor who held 30 patents, including one for an early artificial heart he built in 1963.

But he was perhaps best known for his work as the voice of the lovable animated tiger

Winchell first voiced Tigger in 1968 for Disney's "Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day," which won an Academy Award for best animated short film, and continued to do so through 1999's "Winnie the Pooh: Seasons of Giving."

In 1974, he earned a Grammy for best children's recording with "The Most Wonderful Things About Tiggers" from the feature "Winnie the Pooh and Tigger Too."

"I first met Walt Disney 25 or 30 years ago," Winchell recalled in a 1988 interview with The Associated Press. "He said, 'We're both in the same business. I use cartoons and you use dummies and we both entertain children.' That was long before I started working here. Walt gave me a VIP tour of the studio. I remember people doing voices. I said, 'Gee, that must be fun.' And here I am."

Winchell said he always tried to look for characteristics and idiosyncrasies in the voices he created.

For Tigger, he created a slight lisp and a laugh. He credited his wife, who is British, for giving him the inspiration for Tigger's signature phrase: TTFN. TA-TA for now.

Winchell also voiced memorable characters in many other animated features over the years for Disney and Hanna Barbera. He was Gargamel in "The Smurfs," and Boomer in "The Fox and the Hound."

But before he began working on cartoons, Winchell emerged as a master ventriloquist, captivating children while bringing dummies Jerry Mahoney and Knucklehead Smiff to life on television.

At the age of 13 he was a winner on radio's "Amateur Hour" for doing his imitation of Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy. Ventriloquist Bergen was his childhood hero, and Winchell said one of the greatest thrills of his life was a joint appearance with Bergen on the game show "Masquerade Party."

Winchell made his television debut in 1947 with a smart-mouthed puppet he had invented in his early teens and within a year was host of "The Bigelow Show." He was also host of a number of children's shows, including "The Paul Winchell-Jerry Mahoney Show" and "Circus Time."

Despite his success in television, Winchell felt the medium did not do justice to his beloved craft of ventriloquism.

"Ventriloquism today is in a slump. Children today haven't been exposed to it," he told the AP in 1988. "Edgar Bergen was an enormous hit in radio. But I think television defeats ventriloquism. Children are so used to seeing puppets that when they see a real ventriloquist they don't understand it. On television, everyone talks and they don't care about the mechanics."

In 1950, Winchell created Knucklehead Smiff and introduced him on "The Spiedel Show," which later became "What's My Name?"

Winchell's popularity earned him invitations to other variety programs of the era, including "The Lucy Show" and "Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In."

Winchell was born in New York City on Dec. 21, 1922. At age six he contracted polio. He later credited weightlifting with helping him overcome a leg disability from the effects of polio.

He also overcame speech impediments as he learned to throw his own voice.

Winchell attended Columbia University and also studied and practiced acupuncture and hypnosis.

He donated his artificial heart to the University of Utah for research. Dr. Robert Jarvik and other researchers at the university went on to build an artificial heart, dubbed the Jarvik-7, which was implanted into patients after 1982.

Among Winchell's other patents: a disposable razor, a flameless cigarette lighter and an invisible garter belt.

Winchell is survived by his wife of 31 years, the former Jean Freeman; five children and three grandchildren.

---

Information from: Los Angeles Times,

------------------------------------------------

TTFN - Ta Ta For Now graemlins/crying.gif graemlins/crying.gif graemlins/crying.gif

JPL
06-26-2005, 10:06 AM
Another Disney Great goes to the great Magic Kingdom in the sky graemlins/crying.gif

Truly a said day graemlins/crying.gif

Stevadore
06-26-2005, 11:36 AM
BhamWriter
I loved his non-Tigger performances as a kid,[/QB]Most unfortunate was the distruction of the only remaining tapes of his "Winchell Mahoney Time" TV show by Metromedia Inc. over a syndication rights dispute with Winchell. 288 tapes in all were erased. Any remaining copies of the program sould now be very rare. graemlins/shakehead.gif
noteworthy sidebar: One of his many inventions was an artificial heart prototype he donated to U of Utah, in 1963, where the Jarvick-7 was later perfected for use in patients after 1982.

My he rest in peace.

Ian
06-26-2005, 12:16 PM
graemlins/crying.gif

TTFN to a man who gave me many laughs over the years ...

Tekneek
06-26-2005, 12:43 PM
He was great with one of the voices for Banana Splits. I record those off of Boomerang and my son watches them with me. He recognises the voice as "Tigger's voice" and at first insisted it was Tigger dressed up as this other character (Fleegle).

tinkwest
06-26-2005, 12:51 PM
I loved "Winchell Mahoney Time" when I was a kid. And of course, his wonderful voice made Tigger an instant success & lovable character to the viewing public.
graemlins/crying.gif

i'm grumpy
06-26-2005, 02:07 PM
:( graemlins/crying.gif

SgtTigger
06-26-2005, 06:16 PM
graemlins/crying.gif graemlins/crying.gif graemlins/crying.gif graemlins/crying.gif

graemlins/mickey.gif

vizsla
06-26-2005, 07:10 PM
Very sad. He will be missed deeply.

sportsguy2315
06-26-2005, 07:14 PM
(This post is in my Tigger voice) To Paul:
The wonderful thing about tiggers are tiggers are wonderful things. Their hearts are made out of rubber, the tails are made out of springs, bouncy bouncy, fun, fun, fun, fun, fun, the wonderful thing about Tiggers is that I'm the only one, oh, I'm the only one!
We're miss you bud! graemlins/crying.gif graemlins/mickey.gif

Mom2Princess'
06-27-2005, 08:34 AM
TTFN Tigger, you'll be missed.

Blfarm
06-27-2005, 09:14 AM
graemlins/crying.gif

QTPie68
06-27-2005, 11:08 AM
If I am not mistaken, I believe that he did some appearances with Jerry on the old game show "What's My Line?", they play some of those on gameshow network very early in the morning. Very interesting to me, since I am too young to remember him other than the voices.

Nascfan
06-27-2005, 01:54 PM
TTFN and rest in peace. graemlins/crying.gif