PDA

View Full Version : Grocery stop or mail ahead of time?

ChewyStriker
04-06-2006, 10:45 AM
We'll be taking our 16 mo. old to the world in Oct. and were wondering if you'd recommend doing the grocery stop provided by the towncar company to stock up on some necessities (food, diapers, etc.) or would mail them to the resort ahead of time. Or maybe both? Also, has anyone used Garden Grocer and what has your experience been with that? Would you recommend that instead?

Sorry so many questions.

FatCat
04-06-2006, 11:55 AM
I would recommend a grocery stop. I use it mainly for beverages. Water,Soda, juice boxes & Beer :beer: .

You can actually Fax Albertons Grocery and they will have your order all ready to go in the shopping cart.

If you tell the check out person that this was a fax order they will enter a preferred card savings entry for you so if anything was on in store sale you get the better price.

I believe all the delivery grocers have a charge associated with them.

Mickey'sGirl
04-06-2006, 12:30 PM
We'll be taking our 16 mo. old to the world in Oct. and were wondering if you'd recommend doing the grocery stop provided by the towncar company to stock up on some necessities (food, diapers, etc.) or would mail them to the resort ahead of time. Or maybe both? Also, has anyone used Garden Grocer and what has your experience been with that? Would you recommend that instead?

Sorry so many questions.

We have travelled with our youngest at 6 mos and at 22 mos. I recommend taking as much as you can in a suitcase (esp diapers etc) and checking it through at the airport. You need the empty case for bringing your Disney treasures home in anyway! I would make the grocery stop on your way to the resort to pick up essentials, and then I would replenish milk etc from the resort shops. Our experience is that the resort prices were not that steep.

Jennifer :mickey:

KathyRN137
04-07-2006, 01:12 PM
We always do a combination of both! Mail ahead light, bulky, non-perishable items such as diapers and make a grocery stop for perishables on the way in from the airport ( UPS for former, Tiffany Towncar for latter). We don't rent a car while at WDW, so I don't want to arrive for check-in with too many grocery bags...we've got our hands pretty full with the kids! :mickey: I realize that the shipping is an added expense, but I do this because: (1) I have an autistic child who is rigid about his food /snacks and I cannot always find his preferred brands at the local markets near WDW, and (2) Our luggage is cumbersome enough without adding these items...1 checked bag and 1 carry-on for each family member is my goal for a week-long trip. Just ask for your package when you check in and bell services will bring it to your room with your luggage.

These are some of the Items I have mailed ahead: diapers, baby wipes, box of ziplock bags, granola bars, goldfish crackers, assorted snacks, gum/mints, cold cereal, plastic bowls and spoons for cereal ( we do a quick breakfast in our room each a.m. to save time for early touring), toiletry items, first aid kit, packets of laundry soap, a few dryer sheets, laundry bag.

These are some items we pick up once we are on our way to the resort: milk, juice, 24 pack of water bottles, fresh fruit.

If we get the Dining Plan this year, we will probably not have to pack as many snacks. Also, we are DVC members now, so we may try the delivered groceries someday, but I like having "a bird in the hand", if you know what I mean!

Have an awesome trip! --- Kathy

KatGat
04-09-2006, 01:26 PM
Was it expensive to send diapers, etc. ahead of time? Seems like the postage would not outweigh the trouble of pulling around a suitcase just for that...

LandFan
04-09-2006, 01:32 PM
I haven't used any of them but I did hear that Garden GRocer has only like a $10 delivery charge so we might try them when we go in Spetember.

nat
03-19-2007, 08:41 PM
I have always shipped a box down ahead of us! A tip I got right here on Intercot:number1: !
Keep it light, staples, snacks, ect. We also do a grocery stop for milk, fruit, ect. I find it is worth the price of the shipping, It's just nice not to have to think about what you need, ect.
I take my time at home, plan for each day and love that feeling when I open the box and its all there! Also, I hate running around a market when you don't know where anything is, unless you use the grocery service?? On our first trip DH thought I was crazy, the box was :) sitting there at home for weeks, I was excited..but when he had his favorite tea/honey ect. every day :thumbsup: he was very :blush: ! Hope this helps!!

KAT1811
03-19-2007, 09:11 PM
We have traveled with our three DDs as small as 3 1/2 months. I usually stop at the store and buy things on the way in. I found that the store the car company stopped at didn't have the things I usually used. This year we are going with Garden Grocer. :cart: Their prices are exactly what I pay at home and they deliver. I posted a thread a while ago asking if anyone had any experience with GG and I got quite a bit of positive feedback. :thumbsup: I suggest you try them, you will have enough to pack without having to worry about diapers, wipes, juice, milk, snacks, etc. One less thing you have to worry about. :babyroll: Just place your order online before you leave and they'll deliver it right to your hotel room. :shop:

I thought about shipping some supplies but the hassle of shopping, packing and getting to the post office isn't for me. Plus my worry is what if I spend all that time and money and my package gets lost or arrives a day or two late? I would be stuck without my essentials. I tend to only pack enough in the diaper bag to get us down there.

nat
03-19-2007, 09:23 PM
If you decide to ship make sure you check with your post office to see how long it takes to get there, I always give the post office and extra day or so just in case. I have done this four times and it has always been there waiting for me. I always call the resort for the correct address and make sure you put your name and confirmation number on the outside of the box! Whatever you decide have a great time :thumbsup:!!

vamaggie
03-20-2007, 09:01 AM
I pack an extra suitcase with as many items as will fit/not go over the weight limit(make sure to check with your airline). I would pack diapers, wipes, dry snacks, sunscreen, extra zip loc bags, baby sppons,forks etc, anything you have at home (or buy at home cheaply). I also pack some plastic, resealable juice in double ziplic bags if it does not go over the weight limit. Once down there, make a stop for stuff like milk, water, beer, fresh fruit etc. If it is just you, DH, & baby, the extra suitcase should not be too much trouble (espcially if it wheels) and will give you extra room for souveniers. As posted earlier, I would not go through the trouble of shopping, packaging, going to the post office and shipping as I would also be afraid it may get lost. Besides, I am usually trying to get everything else ready w/o having to worry about getting to the USPS.