PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Frances Updates & News

Pages : [1] 2

imported_PolyGirl40
09-01-2004, 09:01 AM
Central Florida's woes may grow worse

A hit from Hurricane Frances could lead to flooding, more outages and flying debris left by Charley.

By Kevin Spear and Joe Newman
Sentinel Staff Writers

September 1, 2004, 8:39 AM EDT

A menacing Hurricane Frances crept closer Wednesday to the southeastern United States, with 140-mph winds and forecasters saying Florida -- still cleaning up after Charley -- was at risk for another hurricane strike as soon as Friday.

As Frances closed on the Bahamas, it was expected to fluctuate in intensity and could become a Category 5 storm with top sustained winds of 156 mph or higher, said Jamie Rhome, a meteorologist with the National Hurricane Center in Miami. The storm could hit anywhere from South Florida to South Carolina as early as late Friday.

"This still is a huge threat to the southeast U.S. coast," Rhome said. "All indications for now is that Florida is the prime candidate."

At 8 a.m. EDT, the Category 4 Frances was centered about 130 miles east of Grand Turk Island southeast of the Bahamas and 1,260 miles east-southeast of Palm Beach.

Frances was forecast to plow through the Bahamas late Wednesday or Thursday before hitting the U.S. mainland. Millions of coastal residents should be on guard. Hurricane center forecaster Jack Beven said evacuation orders were likely to be issued with warnings and watches late Wednesday.

"There's a tremendous amount of uncertainty," Rhome said. "I don't think anyone's off the hook yet."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If Hurricane Frances strikes Central Florida late this week, it will find a region softened up by Hurricane Charley and poorly able to defend against flooding, widespread power outages and storm-swept debris.

Frances is keeping everyone guessing. Late Tuesday, the five-day forecast, which has an average error of more than 370 miles, had Frances making landfall Saturday north of Cape Canaveral.

Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer called on city residents Tuesday to join with hundreds of hired crews to redouble the effort to cart away debris from trees knocked down Aug. 13 by Hurricane Charley.

"Assist your neighbors, assist the city," said Dyer in a news conference, imploring residents to lend their own pickups to the task. "It was community spirit that got us through Hurricane Charley. We will need that same community spirit to get us through Hurricane Frances."

With four days until its anticipated landfall, officials cautioned that it is too early to predict landfall for the hurricane, which was reported Tuesday evening as a Category 4 storm, with sustained winds of 140 mph.

The storm brushed Puerto Rico on Tuesday with pounding surf, blustery winds and lightning, knocking out electricity to about 17,000 people in the territory as it headed toward the Bahamas. No injuries were reported.

Forecasters said that if a ridge to the north weakens in time, it could steer Frances farther north.

"If that ridge stays in place, this is a Florida hurricane," said Max Mayfield, director of the National Hurricane Center west of Miami.

State officials worried about finding hotel rooms and shelters for people who may need to evacuate. Many hotel rooms in the southern half of the state are occupied by people Charley left homeless and emergency workers from other states.

In Central Florida, hundreds of hotels began emergency planning in case Frances affects the region, either directly with a hit or indirectly with an influx of coastal refugees.

Residents fresh from the experience of Hurricane Charley crowded stores Tuesday to get a jump on what might be yet another disaster.

All the usual pre-storm staples -- from candles to batteries, plywood to bottled water, charcoal to plastic sheeting -- started disappearing from shelves.

Gasoline generators for home electricity proved the most elusive product in a region where more than half a million people recently suffered through at least four days without lights and electricity, and thousands went a week or more without power.

Matthew Hill, 31, a chiropractor, loaded plywood into his dad's minivan at The Home Depot in Daytona Beach, having endured a long wait at the checkout.

"It was like an Epcot line," Hill said.

The hurricane threat will trigger many responses today -- from Brevard County's opening its emergency-operations center to school officials' huddling to decide whether to cancel classes to Progress Energy Florida's activating its emergency center in Lake Mary.

Frances' timing couldn't be worse for the thousands of homeowners still repairing damage from Charley.

The biggest concern is for the homes with roofs still not repaired. More rain means more damage to those homes, Osceola building official Jeff DeBoer said.

"If it's only covered with a tarp -- that's not going to do anything," DeBoer said.

The Seminole County school district wasn't taking chances with its office building in Sanford. The roof was destroyed by Hurricane Charley, inflicting $2.5 million damage. Officials approved an emergency contract for a new roof, and workers are rushing to complete the job by Friday.

The piles of storm debris littering many Central Florida neighborhoods are also raising fears.

Volusia County officials suggested that residents burn debris in the next few days. In Orange County, 1,100 people are involved in debris cleanup, County Administrator Ajit Lalchandani said.

"The resources are in place, but the problem cannot be solved in three days," he said.

Orlando officials began redeploying cleanup crews Tuesday to target the piles that posed the greatest threat to residents.

"What I'm looking for are the midsized debris piles that are definitely going to get windborne," said Alan Oyler, Orlando's deputy public-works director. "I'm not worried about the tree stumps and the logs."

Besides worrying about flying debris, officials are concerned about leaves and branches clogging drains, Lalchandani said.

"The stuff that's not picked up, if a lot of rain falls, its definitely going to get in drains and gutters and cause a whole new set of problems," he said. "It will aggravate an already bad situation."

There were eight named storms in August, setting a record for the most in that month and tying the all-time monthly record set in September 2002. The month, with about 14.5 inches of rain in Orlando, also was the third-wettest August on record, according to the National Weather Service.

That could cause flooding problems.

"We'll have more concern about local flooding if [Frances] drops 3 or 4 inches of rain," said Hank Largin, Orlando-area spokesman for the St. Johns River Water Management District.

The region's electric utilities, exhausted by Hurricane Charley, are gearing up for a possible repeat performance.

"We know what we need to do," Florida Power & Light spokesman Bill Swank said in Miami. "We've experienced it in real life."

Progress Energy, along with other regional utilities, put out-of-town utilities on notice that their crews may be needed.

Utilities also fear that countless trees harbor broken limbs, waiting for a gust of wind to dislodge them and fall on a power line.

The Orlando Utilities Commission has 17 crews trimming "hangers."

Kissimmee Utility Authority crews are braced for outages. In rebuilding its grid, the authority has not yet restored redundant power lines that would allow electricity to detour around short circuits, minimizing the number of homes that lose power.

"When a line gets knocked out, power to the whole neighborhood is knocked out," KUA spokesman Chris Gent said.

MickeyDreamer
09-01-2004, 09:15 AM
Not really looking good for the people down there or those like me who are supposed to be traveling down into that area. :(

Ed
09-01-2004, 09:30 AM
Ugh.

Just Ugh.
________
silver surfer reviews (http://vaporizers.net/silver-surfer-vaporizer)

joonyer
09-01-2004, 09:56 AM
Things are not looking good for central Florida. Check out this link. The Orlando area seems to be in the center of the NWS Hurricane Center's latest forecasted track. Look out! Here comes round 2.

NWS Hurricane Center forecast track for Frances (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT06/refresh/AL0604W5+GIF/011008W5.gif)

DisRuss
09-01-2004, 10:19 AM
I go to the Florida Institute of Technology. I checked the current projected landfall and the hurricane is forecast to go directly over me. My friends and I are planning to evacuate to Naples. We were going to goo to Orlando this weekend but that ain' happening. The school had yet to make an announcement about closure, but it is expected to close on friday. All I have to say is Im running. graemlins/shakehead.gif

SallyP
09-01-2004, 10:45 AM
We just received a call from Disney Dining Experience. The special event that was planned for Friday 09/03/04 has been canceled :( .
They don't know if they will reschedule or not. I can understand Disney's need for precaution. They have to think about guests and cast members.
Haven't we just been through this?
Here's praying that Frances makes a sharp turn North and fizzles in the Atlantic, far away from land.

disneymomw_3boys
09-01-2004, 10:48 AM
We are flying out tommorow for Orlando, we are planning to spend 3 nights at the Yatch Club Resort and visit the parks. We are still up in the air about going, looks like if we do go and Hurricane graemlins/nono.gif Francis graemlins/nono.gif hits Orlando we wont be comming home on Sunday but later next week. I called the Airline to check options to reschedual for another time later this year and they said it would be $ 100.00 per ticket :eek: . Our tickets only cost 173.00.

My wife who has been through Hurricanes before is not as worried as I, odds on it changing course are possible, and we wont be on the coast. We wont make our final decision untill tommorow, I don't know if heading to Florida at this time is such a good idea. I guess the only benifit is the parks will probalbly be empty as I am certain most wont be headed to Disney this weekend.

GoofyGal
09-01-2004, 10:58 AM
Sending lots of pixie dust and prayers to those who live and work down there and for those who are travelling too. Hoping that it fizzles out or heads out to sea. :(

plutogal27
09-01-2004, 11:08 AM
We are still planning on leaving as scheduled on Friday afternoon. My DH is not worried at all, but I'm starting to get a little anxious. While I will be severely disappointed if we don't get to go, I also don't want us to be in harm's way.

imported_JohnY
09-01-2004, 11:25 AM
Ugh is right Ed. I am sceduled to fly out of Orlando late Saturday AM. If the airport closes, I could be stuck riding it out...

Zippa D Doodah
09-01-2004, 11:30 AM
I am sad to see that the hurricane has central Florida in its sights. A "double whammy" is tough on any region. My prayers are with all the folks in the way of the storm. For all who have tentative plans to travel this weekend, I just hate that :( . As one who has had to change vacation plans because of tropical weather before, let me just say I remember how rotten that felt. May lots of pixie dust go your way as well!

TXDisneyAddict
09-01-2004, 11:35 AM
Hey Plutogal27, I noticed you are in Plano -- we are from Allen, and also going down there Friday night.

Our flight leaves DFW at 9:00pm and we are supposed to get to Orlando after midnight. I have been watching the developing path since Monday and figure we should at least be able to get on the ground and to our resort fine late Friday.

What goes on Saturday and Sunday is still up in the air. :confused: I am at least hoping that being on Disney property will be the safest place to be based on reports from people that were there through Charlie several weeks ago.

Living in Texas I have never experienced a hurricane first-hand, so this could definitely be an experience. We thought about canceling, but figured it should blow through by end of the day Sunday at the latest and still have several days to enjoy, hopefully.

pjbs35a
09-01-2004, 11:40 AM
From Southwest Airlines website:

Hurricane Frances Update - As of 5:30 p.m CT, August 31 - Customers holding reservations to/from Fort Lauderdale (FLL), Jacksonville (JAX), Orlando (MCO) and West Palm Beach (PBI), Florida may rebook their travel or request a refund for reservations made through Sunday, September 5th. At the present time, all flights to/from FLL, JAX, MCO, and PBI are scheduled to operate; however, subsequent flight operations to/from these airports will depend upon Hurricane Frances’ movement inland from the Atlantic Ocean. Visit Flight Status Online for the latest information regarding your flight. Call 1-800-243-8372 for assistance.

[ September 01, 2004, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: pjbs35a ]

doublee7
09-01-2004, 11:51 AM
My family and I are supposed to be leaving on a Friday afternoon flight for Orlando. My 3 year old is going to be REALLY disappointed if the trip gets delayed or cancelled.

I grew up 1 block of the ocean in NYC and lived through a few hurricanes...I have NO desire to hold up in a hotel waiting it out, especially if it a Class 4 or 5.

Just wish the airlines wouldn't charge more in fees than the original cost of the tickets to change the date to next weekend.

plutogal27
09-01-2004, 11:55 AM
TXDisneyAddict

Yep, we're neighbors. smile.gif Our flight leaves DFW at 2pm on Friday. As for air travel, I'm not too concerned about landing or getting back to Dallas on Tuesday. I'm more concerned about Frances itself. Having lived in North Texas all my life, I've dealt with my share of severe thunderstorms and tornadoes, but this seems to be a whole other ball game.

Oh well, even if we're stuck in our hotel room for a couple of days....WE'LL be in DISNEY!!!

FROG0823
09-01-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by doublee7:

Just wish the airlines wouldn't charge more in fees than the original cost of the tickets to change the date to next weekend. Check back with your airline - we (American Airlines) just updated our storm policy to allow changes w/o penalties for travel to all Florida airports through Sep 9th...

My dad lives in Palm Beach so I'm worried about him as well as WDW....

Prayers and Pixie Dust to all in Florida...

graemlins/mickey.gif

stitch626
09-01-2004, 12:01 PM
I don't think I can take another one of these!!!!!! I'm still trying to get it together after Charley. Maybe if everyone in the state could turn fans on towards Frances it would blow her out to sea. :D

Womble
09-01-2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by TXDisneyAddict:
I am at least hoping that being on Disney property will be the safest place to be based on reports from people that were there through Charlie several weeks ago.
I think WDW was lucky with Charlie. The eye of the storm went south and east of WDW! Parts of Kissimmee and Orlando were without power and drinkable tap water a week after the storm!

I’m with GoofyGal and hoping it fizzles out or does not make land!

Donalds Duckie
09-01-2004, 12:19 PM
I too am praying that Frances hooks a sharp right and heads out to sea and stays there. There are too many folks who have not recovered from Charley in Florida and from Gaston in the Carolinas, Virginia, etc. to have to deal with another hurricane, especially a category 4 or 5.

Dallas may not get hurricanes but living in South Texas I can tell you it may blow through in hours but what the storm leaves behind can be devastating.

Let's all pray the storm hits that high ridge and doesn't go anywhere or heads out to sea. Also praying for everyone in the possible path of Frances.

Continental Airlines is letting folks traveling through Sept. 10th reschedule w/o penalty.

[ September 01, 2004, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: Donalds Duckie ]

Crow
09-01-2004, 12:20 PM
hope all are ok this wkend. i know a former employee of mine just moved to Kissimee to teach & her apt building had leaky roof after the last storm. her parents are supposed to go down this wkend to visit her.
and im supposed to fly to Orlando Mon early...

Timbo
09-01-2004, 12:34 PM
At the moment, the best guess from the Hurricane Center puts Frances just a few miles North of my home on Saturday morning. The chances of Orlando suffering a direct hit as Frances moves across the state is still pretty good.

We still wanted to get a couple of last minute supplies, but the store shelves are bare already in my area. Growing up in Florida, we've been through a few of these, including Andrew. We're just hoping for the best.

wDwMarly
09-01-2004, 12:41 PM
We had plans to travel up there this weekend :( We live in s. florida and people everywhere are putting up their shutters, just in case. they still don't know WHERE this thing is gonna go.

Nana
09-01-2004, 01:16 PM
I am once again setting up storm teams to assist with the Hurricane. Our storm restoration teams have been placed on standby. I have been following the news and it is looking like a rough ride. All of you that will be in the potential path of Hurricane Frances, please keep alert and take precautions.

doublee7
09-01-2004, 01:37 PM
I'm on hold with my travel agent and US Airways to get my flights and reservations moved to next weekend. Hopefully I can get everything shifted (hotel/flights/preferred seatings at character meals) graemlins/mickey.gif

US Airways posted their weather alert and offer to change dates a little while ago.

I am not putting my 2 little boys and my wife in harm's way with a Cat 4/5 baring down.

Lone_Nova
09-01-2004, 01:49 PM
For those of you wanting to leave late this week or this weekend I will send all my pixie dust (and prayers) your way. I am leaving with my brother late Monday night and I am due to arrive on Tuesday morning. I hope that it clears up a bit by then. For those of you down there, good luck. smile.gif

Tink2002
09-01-2004, 03:23 PM
Prayers and Pixie Dust for everyone in a possible affected area and all of you with plans to head down this weekend! smile.gif Let's hope it poops out in the Atlantic! smile.gif

kaydeecom
09-01-2004, 03:27 PM
Use your head. I understand your frustration in having to cancel or change, but this storm is much stronger than a normal one. People in Mississippi refused to leave the beach; some decided to ride out Hurricane Camille (a Category 5 storm) in 1969. Their house was blown away and they died. At the time, I lived about 60 miles away in Louisiana and the damage was overwhelming. Take my advice; go another time. You don't want to be there when it comes ashore.

disneymomw_3boys
09-01-2004, 03:55 PM
According to NWA there has been no designation as to the Orlando Airport closing, However they are rebooking flights for Airports allong the Altantic coast with no charge through Sept 8th.
Right now Orlando is not included in this list but he is still trying to change my flights....

mommybelle
09-01-2004, 04:03 PM
I wouldn't come down here right now. I wish I could leave right now. The current map shows the path right by my house :eek: , maybe slightly north. Of course that could change at any time and of course I keep wishing it away and blowing it away as hard as I can. Good luck to everyone in the path, I'm going home to batten down the hatches graemlins/shakehead.gif

vizsla
09-01-2004, 04:15 PM
I am watching the Weather Channel and things aren't looking good for Florida. Prayers and pixie dust going out for anyone who is in the path of Hurricane Frances.

Crow
09-01-2004, 04:17 PM
hope things are ok for all of you...i have vacation planned for there Monday, but i just hope everyone who lives there is ok.
keeping an eye on things.

doublee7
09-01-2004, 04:20 PM
Just finished getting all of my reservations moved!!! graemlins/thumbsup.gif graemlins/mickey.gif

I got the exact same character breakfast priority seating times and everything. It is just going to cost me a little more because the airline claims there are no seats left in the price bracket that I originally paid. But, we get down there by 9:00AM instead of 8:00PM (hence, an extra day in Orlando!!!)

Good luck to everyone else already there, those planning to still go down, and those trying to change their plans.

ArtDeco
09-01-2004, 04:39 PM
Frances, please please please miss Castaway Cay!(and skip between the rest of the Bahamas too).

imported_dpamac
09-01-2004, 05:20 PM
Sorry guys. My mistake, I misread the info.

The report is that it will close FRIDAY at 5 . And this is still UNCONFIRMED . We're keeping up with everything we can, we have people on the ground (some stranded there already) who are finding out all they can.

Patti
09-01-2004, 05:37 PM
My plane is leaving 7 a.m. tomorrow. I called the resort where we're booked, and the CM said that the resort is booked. She says they have supplies and everything is up and running. However, Disney is offering a full refund for cancellations.

When I asked her about Hurricane Charley, she said the resort experienced only a few downed trees/branches. The parks closed early on that day.

I'm watching the weather channel and will make a decision based on that. Since I'm leaving tomorrow so early in the morning, I have to make a decision soon.

[ September 01, 2004, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: Patti ]

T-Belle
09-01-2004, 05:42 PM
Prayers and Pixie Dust for all those in the path of Frances.

imported_JohnY
09-01-2004, 05:50 PM
Well, it is looking more and more like I may be stuck here. My flight was scheduled to go out on Saturday around lunch time. I tried to re-book on Friday to leave, but was told it didn't look good.

So, I will be your on the scene reporter unless my flight somehow makes it out...

Anyhoo, I can tell you the mood on the scene here is anxious. It looks like it's gonna be a direct hit again on Orlando.

Disney has been very accomodating and has agreed to extend my stay till monday if need be. I have hear on the radio now that lines are growing at grocery stores and at gas stations. We'll see how that is when I go out and about again tomorrow.

I'm also considering heading out to see if I can find a webcam to hook up and broadcast live from the hotel here for as long as the power lasts.

I'll keep monitoring this thread. We'll see how it goes.

TinyTink
09-01-2004, 05:51 PM
Oh no, here we go again! Another one of these headed our way! graemlins/shakehead.gif We down here in So. Fla are all preparing, schools are being canceled, grocery stores are full, and I've got to go start putting up shutters soon. Please being praying and thinking of us here in Florida. graemlins/crying.gif

Donalds Duckie
09-01-2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by TinyTink:
Oh no, here we go again! Another one of these headed our way! graemlins/shakehead.gif Please being praying and thinking of us here in Florida. graemlins/crying.gif You got it, TinyTink! Prayers have been rising up from South Texas since Frances started heading your way. Everyone PLEASE KEEP SAFE as you possibly can.

John, you be careful out there too. Don't venture out with your webcam if it's not safe ;) Yes, it is a very surreal feeling preparing for a major storm. :(

[ September 01, 2004, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: Donalds Duckie ]

plutogal27
09-01-2004, 06:22 PM
We changed our reservation to next Friday the 10th. We just decided it just wasn't worth the risk. We had to pay a bit more for the flight, but for safety and peace of mind, its defintely a relief.

My thoughts and prayers are with you all in Florida. Hopefully it will miss the coast and go out to sea.

imported_JohnY
09-01-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Donalds Duckie:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by TinyTink:
Oh no, here we go again! Another one of these headed our way! graemlins/shakehead.gif Please being praying and thinking of us here in Florida. graemlins/crying.gif Hey, TinyTink, prayers have been rising up from Texas since Frances started heading your way. Everyone PLEASE KEEP SAFE as you possibly can.

John, you be careful out there too. Don't venture out with your webcam if it's not safe ;) </font>[/QUOTE]Oh, I was just gonna point it out my hotel room window... smile.gif

WDWdriver
09-01-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by JohnY:
Well, it is looking more and more like I may be stuck here. My flight was scheduled to go out on Saturday around lunch time. I tried to re-book on Friday to leave, but was told it didn't look good.
Welcome back to the Sunshine State, John! We think the hurricane party should be in your hotel room. I make pretty good margaritas, Jeanne is bringing chips and dip, and I'm sure Ed can donate a case of beer.

imported_PolyGirl40
09-01-2004, 06:41 PM
You're going to get him evicted, Ron.

Look at that. John is singlehandedly bringing back the Disney web cam! graemlins/thumbsup.gif

TiggerRPh
09-01-2004, 06:50 PM
Cool....the return of the "Hurricane-cam"!!

graemlins/clappy.gif

Tink19
09-01-2004, 07:09 PM
Yes..please send your prayers. I live south of Tampa and I normally don't get upset or worried about Hurricanes but this one I am scared and VERY nervous :( . I hope all is well here. Please pray and send lots of pixi dust guys! Thanks to everyone for praying for all us Floridains smile.gif . I am VERY nervous about this one :eek: . I'll keep everyone updated too. Thanks guys!!

Lizzy
09-01-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by WDWdriver:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by JohnY:
Welcome back to the Sunshine State, John! We think the hurricane party should be in your hotel room. I make pretty good margaritas, Jeanne is bringing chips and dip, and I'm sure Ed can donate a case of beer. </font>[/QUOTE]Hey what about me? Can I come to the Hurri-cam party? You know, since as of right now the thing is supposed to pass right over my house anyway I am going to need a few margaritas to keep my mind off of being scared for my house! :(

ILive4Disney
09-01-2004, 09:28 PM
We live in S. Florida and have reservations for CBR this weekend and can't figure out where the "better" place to be is :confused: The forecast is not helpful yet.

stitch626
09-01-2004, 10:03 PM
My mom works at the Orlando International Airport and just called me to say that the airport will be closing at 6pm on Friday and will remain closed Saturday.

I work at Discovery Cove and have not yet heard if and when we or Sea World will be closing.

I will be taking my DS-4 to IOA tomorrow to get his and my mind off things. Will try to see if they have any info also.

I will update with any changes.

TXDisneyAddict
09-01-2004, 10:26 PM
I guess Texans think alike -- we changed our reservations this afternoon also. You are right PlutoGal, it's just not worth the risk, and we probably would have been stuck in the room for most of the trip anyway -- or the airport if we could have even gotten there.

We pushed ours back 4 days and will be leaving out on Tuesdsy night and returning to Dallas on Sunday night.

I can handle the possibility of a tornado popping up in an isolated area, but a category 4 hurricane heading straight for you is crazy.

Hope everybody who will be down there gets through everything safely.

micurealsoon
09-01-2004, 10:35 PM
How are things at the parks/resorts now? Have any official announcements been made yet or is it still too early? Is there any evidence that hurricane plans are going into effect?

SoundQ SVT
09-01-2004, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by stitch626:
My mom works at the Orlando International Airport and just called me to say that the airport will be closing at 6pm on Friday and will remain closed Saturday.

Just curious... do you think your mom has any idea when the airport might re-open? possibly Sunday afternoon/evening or definitely not until Monday?

Keeping my fingers crossed that I can somehow sneak into Orlando airport from Atlanta Sunday evening after Frances has passed, or better yet missed the area entirely.

[ September 01, 2004, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: SoundQ SVT ]

imported_JohnY
09-01-2004, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by micurealsoon:
How are things at the parks/resorts now? Have any official announcements been made yet or is it still too early? Is there any evidence that hurricane plans are going into effect? Things are pretty much normal. Watched wishes from the California Grill tonite. Speculation is that the parks will be closed on Saturday. But as of yet, nothing has been announced. I'll let you know the second it is.

Is Stitch 626 is correct, I am definately here.

Anyhoo... regardless, we here at ICOT will keep you up to date on what's going on whether I am here or now.

Latest timeline has the storm hitting land 3-4 hours later than thought earier today. We'll have to see if that holds.

imported_JohnY
09-01-2004, 11:38 PM
Due to Hurricane Frances, a temporary cancellation and "No Show" policy has been adopted for travel agents who have booked reservations through Walt Disney World or the Walt Disney Travel Company (agents that have booked through another tour operator should contact that company for its specific cancellation policy).

"No Show" penalties will be waived for any Guest arrivals between Wednesday, Sept. 1 and Monday, Sept. 6, 2004.

Agents with clients arriving between Wednesday, Sept. 1 and Monday, Sept. 6, 2004 can have their reservation rebooked for another time period and apply the existing deposit/payment, or cancel and have the deposit/payment fully refunded.

News regarding DCL Bookings Disney Cruise Line continues to monitor the storm and adapt operations to ensure the safety of Guests, Cast and Crew. The hurricane is predicted to pass through the Bahamas on Friday, Sept. 3 and is expected to impact operations at Castaway Cay on Sat., Sept. 4.

The Disney Wonder will sail as scheduled on Thursday, Sept. 2, remaining out at sea where Guests can enjoy better weather a safe distance away from the effects of the storm.

The revised 3-night itinerary aboard the Disney Wonder will be:

Thursday, Sept. 2-Port Canaveral
Friday, Sept. 3-Day at Sea
Saturday, Sept. 4-Day at Sea
Sunday, Sept. 5-Port Canaveral

The Disney Magic previously altered its itinerary early this week and is safely out of harm’s way.

We will continue to update you on any additional operational changes that may occur.

J9
09-02-2004, 12:18 AM
I am scared to death. I'm calling out of work thursday and friday. Luckily I have off during the weekend, but I tried to get a flight out so i could be home and safe, but there was nothing flying out to philly, atlantic city, newark, or jfk. So I'm stuck here. I tried to get a room at the contemporary (because I figured a big concrete slab would be safe, but there is nothing available. In fact, there are no rooms available until Monday ANYWHERE on Walt Disney World Property.)

So with that said, I'm here in the path of the storm without my family and I am scared to death. I want more than anything to be back home right now.

wonders10
09-02-2004, 12:32 AM
J9...I understand your concern. I'm down here in southern FL and when my mom got home from work, we put all of our shutters up.

You are on the college program right? I'm very confident that Disney would not put any of you CP's in harms way. Listen to whatever they tell you (perhaps the apartments have shutters?) and you should be okay. If you are really scared, take a friend and go to a shelter.

Best of Luck to all!
*Shannon

Ghost1000
09-02-2004, 01:42 AM
I'm also considering heading out to see if I can find a webcam to hook up and broadcast live from the hotel here for as long as the power lasts.John, you should be okay with power since all lines are underground. Service was never interrupted during Charley three weeks ago.

I'd rather come out to property and stay since I'm almost certain we'll be losing power here again. It took five days last time to get my beloved A/C back on! graemlins/shakehead.gif

You can bet that you're probably in the best possible place. Good luck and enjoy your stay! graemlins/mickey.gif

J9
09-02-2004, 03:46 AM
Well, I'll be safe back in home in Philly while Frances passes over Orlando. I just didn't have a good feeling when I called the apartment managers and asked what the plan was if we got evacuated and got their answer of "we don't have one, we've never had to evacuate..." So yeah, you can see how that didn't sit well with me. And the news here is going nuts. I was crying I was so scared. I SAW a tornado touch down feet away from me during Charley and got evacuated then and it was so scary and i don't want to go through that again....especially without my family by my side. So I'll be safe in good old Philly -- even though I have to call out of work for three days...oops!

I couldn't find any cheap or direct flights and my dad said to quit worrying but then my roomate's mother called and said she was flying her home to Reno for about $1000. That's when I started to get nervous because my third roomie has had a flight out for months and the fourth roomie is clueless (and annoying). So I sucked it up and charged $600+ bucks and got a flight home through charlotte and raleigh. It's so worth it. I'll be back in Disney on Monday evening.

AdrianInOcala
09-02-2004, 06:39 AM
Well, we dodged most of Charlie's effects here in Ocala, but it looks like it's time to pay the piper here (If the track stays as is). From what I'm hearing locally and from Orlando, MCO will close Friday around 5 or 6 (Earlier if winds warrant). If the present track is correct, expect 24-36 hours minimum of cleanup and repairs to get the airport operable (Tuesday?).

The latest local forecasts changed from Sat at 2PM for landfall in southern Brevard County (Melbourne) which would have put the eye over the Kissimmee area around 6-9PM. Now they are predicting sometime Saturday 'PM' for landfall in the Melbourne area, Sunday 'PM' around Ocala/Gainesville/Cheifland. we're expecting the eye, or whats left of it if it degrades like Charlie did, about 12-18 hours after land fall here in Ocala.

Gotta tape and board tonight or tomorrow (depending on changes to the tracking), cut down some worrisome tree limbs and make room in the garage for cars, outdoor furniture and other missiles. Fun, fun, fun. Oh, well, we go down to the AKL on the 29th, hopefully mother nature will have this out of her system by then.

stitch626
09-02-2004, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by SoundQ SVT:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by stitch626:

Just curious... do you think your mom has any idea when the airport might re-open? possibly Sunday afternoon/evening or definitely not until Monday?

Keeping my fingers crossed that I can somehow sneak into Orlando airport from Atlanta Sunday evening after Frances has passed, or better yet missed the area entirely. </font>[/QUOTE]No word yet on reopening. It just depends on the path Frances takes and how much cleanup needs to be done. I will keep y'all updated as long as there is power.

John Y- enjoy your extended stay.

george1
09-02-2004, 08:13 AM
Having lived on Cape Cod all of my life, I've been through my share of hurricanes. They are nerve wracking to say the least, especially with big trees
around the house. To those of you that live in Florida, God Speed. I will be thinking of you all.
For those of you thinking of still going, use your heads. Your lives are worth more than any money you will be losing. Also, if you do get down there and the storm is a direct hit, the power will probably be out and you'll be hanging around for nothing, more than likely hindering in the cleanup. Take the time to reschedule.

imported_PolyGirl40
09-02-2004, 09:09 AM
500,000 on coast told to evacuate; Governor calls state of emergency

By Maya Bell
Miami Bureau

September 2, 2004, 8:12 AM EDT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE from The Associated Press: With homes still swaddled in blue tarp and the deaths from Hurricane Charley still fresh in their minds, Florida residents lined up before dawn Thursday for supplies or made evacuation plans as they braced for what could be the mightiest storm of the season.

Up to 750,000 people in Florida were ordered to leave their homes by Thursday afternoon as Hurricane Frances inched toward the U.S. mainland. States of emergency were declared in both Georgia and Florida.

Officials in Broward County, which contains Fort Lauderdale, ordered the evacuation Thursday of up to 250,000 people living on barrier islands, in mobile homes and in low-lying areas.

Packing 145-mph top sustained winds with higher gusts and a course that has emergency officials in several Southeastern states jittery, the Category 4 storm was expected to fluctuate in intensity as it headed for a Labor Day weekend rendezvous.

At 8 a.m. EDT, Frances' center was 470 miles east-southeast of West Palm Beach. It was moving west-northwest near 13 mph, and was expected to continue that course for the next day.

With dread, disbelief and a sense of déjà vu, Floridians the length of the state prepared Wednesday to flee Hurricane Frances, just three weeks after Hurricane Charley caused billions of dollars in damage as it ripped across the peninsula.

Late Wednesday, the National Hurricane Center issued a hurricane watch for about 280 miles of Florida coast from Florida City to Flagler Beach. A hurricane watch means that those areas could start feeling hurricane conditions within 36 hours.

Earlier in the day, Gov. Jeb Bush had declared a state of emergency throughout Florida, his second in 22 days. No other state in the past century has faced two such powerful storms so close together, hurricane experts said.

About twice the width of Charley, Hurricane Frances could strengthen into a Category 5 with winds of 156 mph or higher, forecasters said.

"I can't emphasize enough how powerful this is," National Hurricane Center director Max Mayfield said. "If there's something out there that's going to weaken it, we haven't seen it."

Nearly a half-million people were told to get ready to evacuate as Frances headed toward a projected landfall Saturday. Palm Beach County ordered a mandatory evacuation of 300,000 residents along coastal areas beginning at 2 p.m. today, and Brevard County also told 185,000 residents in mobile homes and barrier islands to prepare to leave this afternoon.

Shelters for Brevard residents with special needs will open at 10 a.m. today. Melbourne Greyhound Park has been designated for pets. Other coastal counties were making similar evacuation plans.

Brevard and Volusia schools planned to close today and Friday. Osceola and Orange public schools will close Friday.

The governor ordered the National Guard to report today and be up to strength by Friday. All state toll roads suspended taking tolls Wednesday. Craig Fugate, director of the state Division of Emergency Management, said steps were being taken to prepare for large-scale evacuations, including possibly reversing lanes of some highways to accommodate fleeing coastal residents.

Late Wednesday, the official three-day forecast, which has an average error of 250 miles, had Frances coming ashore on Florida's central east coast Saturday evening. Forecasters cautioned Floridians not to concentrate on the forecast track, but rather on the entire projected track, known as "the cone of error."

That cone showed the entire peninsula in Frances' potential strike zone.

"Hurricanes are not points, especially in Frances' case, because it's so large," hurricane specialist Stacy Stewart said. "We don't want people to say, 'Thank goodness, I live in Daytona Beach. It's coming in Melbourne, so I'm OK.' They're not OK. By no means are people out of the woods anywhere in Florida."

In Brevard, coastal residents braced for the possibility that Frances might strike somewhere along the county's 72-mile coastline.

At Kennedy Space Center, which will close today and Friday, workers put sandbags around NASA facilities, sheltered equipment and took precautions with the three space shuttles that will ride out the storm inside their hangar.

To protect property from looters, a dusk-to-dawn curfew will be in effect in the evacuation areas beginning at sunset Friday. Alcohol sales also will be suspended in those areas.

"We've had so many problems in past storms with people having hurricane parties," said Joan Heller, spokeswoman for Brevard County's Emergency Operations Center. "Frankly, we have much bigger fish to fry than dealing with a lot of drunks."

At Titusville City Marina, Paul and Andrea Landry packed a few important papers and personal photographs and prepared to leave their 42-foot sailboat, Ta Ta, to fate. They booked hotel rooms in Ocala and begged invitations from friends in Fort Myers and South Florida, depending on which way the winds blow.

Cruising the Caribbean for 13 years has made them philosophical about material things.

"It's just stuff," said Andrea Landry, 55. "You can replace stuff."

Rooms from Tallahassee throughout North Florida and southern Georgia were booked solid on the eve of what could be the largest mass movement of Florida residents and tourists in history.

After nailing plywood to the windows of her Flagler Beach home, Mary Stevens tried to find a hotel room for herself and her husband, Bill. All the hotels, all the way to Georgia, were booked.

"Tomorrow night, we're going to get in the car and just start driving north until we find a vacant hotel," said Mary Stevens, 50, an insurance-claims adjuster.

Before Charley, emergency officials feared Floridians had developed "hurricane amnesia" since Hurricane Andrew in 1992.

This time, complacency is not the problem. Instead, hurricane forecasters worry that tens of thousands of Florida's east-coast residents will drive long distances to escape the uncertain path of Frances and clog the roads. When told to evacuate, those in low-lying areas, mobile homes and oceanfront homes should head for higher ground as near as possible.

"We don't want people evacuating hundreds of miles. Go tens of miles. Move inland. Don't drive up or down the state," Mayfield said.

In Vero Beach, roads were quickly becoming clogged with fleeing residents and tourists, convincing Julie McCusker to stick out the storm with her husband and seven cats inside her husband's concrete-block office building near Interstate 95.

"It's more dangerous right now to evacuate than to stay put," she said.

The scope of the threat was unprecedented. Records from the past century show no two Category 4 storms with winds of 131 to 155 mph hitting a state within weeks of each other, hurricane-center meteorologist Rick Knabb said. Charley came ashore with top sustained winds of 145 mph.

The last time two major hurricanes hit Florida in rapid succession was in 1950. Hurricane Easy hit Tampa about Sept. 4 of that year, and Hurricane King hit Miami six weeks later on Oct. 17.

To prepare for Frances, state and federal officials are urging counties and residents to take care of the unfinished business left behind by Charley: debris removal. If the browning piles of branches, dissected tree trunks and building rubble can't be removed in time, officials are asking people to store as much as possible inside.

In Orange County, about 60 percent of Hurricane Charley's debris is still on the ground. Another concern is the availability of generators for its sewage lift stations. Many of those generators have been shipped back, but the county is in the process of recovering them, Orange County Chairman Rich Crotty said.

"You know, a few weeks ago, I said that Charley was not a drill. But I may have been wrong. Charley may be a drill for Frances," said Crotty, who returned Wednesday from the Republican National Convention to prepare for Frances.

Residents throughout the state made runs on hardware stores and grocery shelves, sometimes fighting about sheets of plywood and gas-powered generators.

Ace Hardware in Orange City sold 2605-gallon gas cans in nine minutes. At the Home Depot in Orange City, an afternoon shipment of 700 sheets of plywood was gone in less than an hour, with a limit of 10 sheets per person.

In Melbourne, Mark Zider, a 40-year-old retired roofer from Seattle, was boarding up Wildcat Tackle & Bait shop and preparing to head for West Virginia in his mobile home to wait our the storm.

Zider bought the bait shop just four months ago.

"I've enjoyed owning it," Zider said, "but if that hurricane hits and it's gone when I get back, I guess I picked the wrong year to buy, and they picked the right year to sell."

Nascfan
09-02-2004, 09:12 AM
Sending our thoughts and prayers to all of you who may be or are in the path of Frances. Stay safe, all of you, and get the heck outta Dodge if you can!

Disney Doodle
09-02-2004, 09:17 AM
To everyone who may be affected by Hurricane Frances take care and keep safe. My thoughts and prayers will be with you during this time.

Angie

imported_PolyGirl40
09-02-2004, 09:24 AM
Disney Closings are starting to filter in:

The Tom Joyner Family Reunion 2004 events scheduled for September 3-6 have been cancelled.

The Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue 9:30PM show on Friday, September 3, has been cancelled. All Hoop-Dee-Doo shows scheduled for Saturday, September 4, have been cancelled.

All Spirit of Aloha Polynesian Luau performances have been cancelled for Friday & Saturday, September 3 & 4.

The Disney Dining Experience scheduled for Friday night, September 3, at the California Grill has been cancelled.

Timbo
09-02-2004, 09:43 AM
I am here at my office now in Weston, FL, about 15 minutes west of Fort Lauderdale. We are beginning the process of protecting our belongings, covering our computers and files with plastic sheeting and securing things in general.

On a personal note, I FINALLY found some drinking water this morning after searching all day yesterday and for two hours this morning. Good thing I filled my vehicles with gas on Tuesday because today most gas stations here are out of gas (pardon the pun) and the rest have lines for blocks.

As long as we have power, I will keep checking in here. Y'all take care out there...this is gonna be bad. graemlins/shakehead.gif

[BS]Mickey
09-02-2004, 09:47 AM
My advice to anyone who is coming this weekend. DON'T. This is a much larger and slower moving storm than Charley. If you manage to make it into OIA, you will find no gas for your rental car, no groceries (especially bread and canned goods), no restaurants open, most major highways, such as the Bee Line, only going one direction. The parks have not made any announcement yet, but expect ALL parks to be closed both Saturday and Sunday. When power is out, the roads will be dangerous. Live power lines will be down. Trees will crumple homes, cars, and even hotel rooms. This is a serious storm. Guys, we love for all of you to visit, but getting hurt or killed is no vacation. Good luck to all (including me) forced to ride this one out.

LiloLovesTheKing26
09-02-2004, 09:53 AM
WIll waiting to arrive Monday make a diff if I keep checking to see the status on everything all day Sat and SUN? As long as Disney doesn't run out of power, and barring I can drive in Sunday NIght/Sat morn? Oh I just hate this not knowing!!!

Red Randal
09-02-2004, 10:01 AM
Wow, I can't believe this is happening again!

Has anything like this EVER happened before in Central Florida? TWO gigantic storms coming so close together? (And, let's not forget the storm that hit a few HOURS before Charly)

And, does anyone know the status of the national 3-on-3 basketball tournament, which is being held at WWoS this weekend? A few of my friends were scheduled to go down for it, but cancelled for a different reason, but we know others who, I believe, were still scheduled to participate.

Good luck to everyone in Central Florida.

MickeyDreamer
09-02-2004, 10:08 AM
We just cancelled our trip to WDW this weekend. We are very sad. We hope that all of you in the path of this storm stay safe. Good Luck!

[BS]Mickey
09-02-2004, 10:11 AM
I think Monday may be too early. There is a lot of damage expected. But, the worst damage depends on the exact track of the storm. Currently they are forecasting 130mph winds for Kissimmee. I can tell you, OIA definitely will NOT open until winds are below 35mph. With the speed of this storm, that will be Sunday evening. Even then, it depends also on how much damage the airport receives. Keep in mind, you may be able to get to the airport, but roads may be blocked, and taxi's/buses may not be there due to fuel problems/power outages. I have to ask, please, please, if you can postpone your trip, please do. There are hundreds of thousands of evacuees from the coast who will need hotel rooms. Charley wasn't much fun, some people went without power for two weeks. Most hotels have generators for power, but without gas they have no use. Protect yourself, and wait until at least Monday.

JDNM2005
09-02-2004, 10:13 AM
has hurrican season even officialy started yet?? enough already!!

aprilisis
09-02-2004, 10:17 AM
I think hurricane season runs from July through September.
To all of those in FL- Stay safe!!!

medic9016
09-02-2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by JDNM2005:
has hurrican season even officialy started yet?? enough already!! Started in June and goes through Nov.

Aurora
09-02-2004, 10:20 AM
JohnY, I know you are committed to giving us information, but this is above and beyond the call of duty!! Seriously, you and everyone else please stay safe.

mickeymousemom
09-02-2004, 10:34 AM
Yes, I believe hurricane season started awhile back--correct me if I'm wrong!
Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you--this doesn't look like one I would want to risk riding out.--Keep safe--Pixie Dust coming your way---&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; :( graemlins/shakehead.gif smile.gif

Dreamin' of Disney
09-02-2004, 10:35 AM
I'm just in tears graemlins/crying.gif ...litterally, I'm so scared for Florida, and it's making me sick to my stomach today. Please ALL, be safe. I'll be praying once again.

I've got a very dear friend whom lives in Melbourne Beach (where Francis is predicted to come ashore), and I'm so very worried for her. I'm hoping she came here to NH earlier this week to flee the storm, I haven't heard either way. graemlins/crying.gif graemlins/crying.gif graemlins/crying.gif

Howdy Partner
09-02-2004, 10:40 AM
I dont know how im going to handle another hurricane, Im in michigan but my dad is still in florida trying to fix my grandma's house .
I was a nervous wreck last time worrying about my grandma and Sounds silly but I was worried about WDW too.
Ive been through 130-200 mile winds up here in Michigan and know just how scary it is.
you folks in florida will be in my prayers.

[ September 02, 2004, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: Howdy Partner ]

pjbs35a
09-02-2004, 10:53 AM
Water Vapor Loop (http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float2-wv-loop.html)

Calamity Jane
09-02-2004, 10:57 AM
So I go lucky last time and Charley arrived when I was out of town. Guess you can't always be lucky.

Went to Wal Mart last night with a friend...wished I'd had a camera. The aisles were like barren wastelands and the lines were miles long. Crazy....

This whole hurricane thing is bizarre to me. I'm used to tornados where they just spring up on you and are done. It's weird looking out at a beautiful sky right now and knowing in two days it's going to be a raging tempest of destruction.

Anywho....gonna go dig out the candles and board games now. Me and my roomie are hosting a few people over here and we're going to make the best of it.

Toad_Passenger
09-02-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Red Randal:
Wow, I can't believe this is happening again!

Has anything like this EVER happened before in Central Florida? TWO gigantic storms coming so close together? (And, let's not forget the storm that hit a few HOURS before Charly)

And, does anyone know the status of the national 3-on-3 basketball tournament, which is being held at WWoS this weekend? A few of my friends were scheduled to go down for it, but cancelled for a different reason, but we know others who, I believe, were still scheduled to participate.

Good luck to everyone in Central Florida. No this hasn't happened in over 100 years with 2 Category 4+ storms (charley officially hit Cat 4 prior to landfall) hitting the same state within weeks of each other. This is very frightening and I hope people didn't get a false sense of security from the way Charley rambled through so quickly. This is a VERY dangerous storm.

Best wishes to all, and if you have a way to get to safe place please do so within the next 24-36 hours!

[ September 02, 2004, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: Toad_Passenger ]

SallyP
09-02-2004, 11:07 AM
Thanks Frankie - awesome satellite image. I do believe Florida is going to be a little damp for a few days. Just must be our year instead of the upper and western Gulf of Mexico areas.
It's the tornadic activity that everyone should be aware of. Down here in Port Charlotte you could tell by the destruction pattern that there were intense mini tornados within the larger hurricane. That's what shreds the heck out of everything. Our DD and DSIL were 5 miles from the eye wall of Charley and they saw trees (palm) bending one way and then after the next cycle of wind the trees bent the opposite way.
Take care all you Floridians and thanks for everyones prayers and positive thoughts. We'll make contact when we can.

trackbarroness
09-02-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by pjbs35a:
Water Vapor Loop (http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float2-wv-loop.html) Thank you Frankie for posting this.
Funny thing sort of kind of is that I want to move back to Florida.

Crow
09-02-2004, 11:25 AM
thanks for keeping us updated. stay safe John & everyone there!
im wondering if i should change my travel plans for Monday.

LorrieP
09-02-2004, 11:25 AM
I just received an email from a friend of mine, who works for FDOT, who just moved in to a new house in Florida. She moved down there from Maine last year to escape the cold and snow, I think she's almost ready to come back. She said that the airport is closing today.

She has made reservations in Fort Myers and will decide sometime today whether or not to evacuate.

I agree with everyone else who says don't go down there if you don't have to. It's just going to be chaos and they don't need any extra people in the way and you won't have any fun. Reschedule!!!

Good luck to everyone in harm's way.

Disney Doodle
09-02-2004, 11:26 AM
Just found out my husband's friend was due to fly to Orlando tomorrow morning, but has heard from British Airways his flight has been cancelled. They could not offer him another flight until Wednesday, but have offered him a complete refund which he has accepted. This was to have been the first visit to WDW for him and his family. But at least they will be safe now.

Black Jack Shallack form Frontenac
09-02-2004, 11:38 AM
Ugh is right Ed. I am sceduled to fly out of Orlando late Saturday AM. If the airport closes, I could be stuck riding it out... Like you mind, John,.. ;)

This confirms that you are a total weather wonk.
Couldn't you just go to the Yagscave and watch
it on your bank of high-def monitors this time?
Couldn't you just send out your team of
mini-monkeys riding llamas to ride out the storm?

But serioulsy, to everyone down south,
be safe, and if you can, flee.
Our thoughts are with you.

[ September 02, 2004, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: Black Jack Shallack form Frontenac ]

09-02-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by dpamac:
...The report is that it will close FRIDAY at 5. And this is still UNCONFIRMED... Sorry, but what is IT that will close at 5 on Friday?

[ September 02, 2004, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: Black Jack Shallack form Frontenac ]

pjbs35a
09-02-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Black Jack Shallack form Frontenac:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by dpamac:
...The report is that it will close FRIDAY at 5. And this is still UNCONFIRMED... Sorry, but what is IT that will close at 5 on Friday? </font>[/QUOTE]This was reported yesterday. Still looking for more current info:

If Hurricane Frances veers toward Central Florida this weekend, Orlando International Airport plans to repeat the disaster plan it followed three weeks ago when Hurricane Charley swept through the region.

Airport Executive Director Bill Jennings estimates that the airfield and terminals suffered more than $50 million damage from Charley. Despite the heavy hit, Orlando International resumed normal operations within 24 hours of the storm.

"Our plan is in place, and we expect that the preparations we made for Charley will hold up again this time," airport spokeswoman Carolyn Fennell said. "We had a meeting with our staff to say that we are preparing. We have a plan that worked."

Charley inflicted its heaviest damage on Orlando International's four satellite aircraft boarding terminals. It temporarily disabled a number of boarding jetways and did extensive damage to roofs and interior walls.

Last week, the federal government pledged more than $10 million toward the repair costs

Roofs have been patched, but airport administrators say that repair work to ceilings and walls could take months. Fennell said the airport expects the repairs to hold if Frances hits Central Florida.

Orlando Sanford International Airport, which was also damaged during Charley, will receive about $1.5 million in aid. Airport spokesman Michael Caires said that despite damage to the terminal and a 24-hour power outage, the airport recovered quickly.

Caires said in the wake of another storm, the airport hopes to communicate with tour groups and airlines that use the field. A large number of passengers spent the night of Charley in Orlando Sanford's terminal.

"The key piece is communications with the airlines," Caires said.

Both Orlando Sanford and Orlando International rely on the airlines to make speedy decisions on their own before a storm, moving airplanes to other cities and diverting or canceling flights.

Delta Air Lines, the top passenger carrier at Orlando International, said its hurricane plan worked smoothly during Charley, and similar procedures would be followed during another storm.

"We evaluate hurricanes very closely," Estes said. "We protect our customers, our employees and our equipment, evaluating conditions on a minute-to-minute basis as a storm approaches. In the end, only the storm knows where it is going to go."

-----------------------------------------------

More Info:

At 11 a.m. 9/2/04, Brevard County was placed under a hurricane warning. The warning stretches in the East Coast of Florida from Florida City northward to Flagler Beach, including Lake Okeechobee.

The projections show the storm's eye wall about 30 miles offshore from Palm Beach at 8 a.m. Saturday, traveling on a northwest path. The forecast has Frances wading ashore Saturday near Fort Pierce and moving northwest where it will be west of Orlando at 8 a.m. Sunday.

A blocking ridge is preventing Frances from taking a turn toward the north. In response today, the computer models moved the 5-day path to the left.

The hurricane center predicts sustained winds will be nearly 145 mph as Frances crosses the Florida coastline and around 80 mph as it moves west of Orlando.

Florida will start feeling the effects of Frances late today and early Friday when the hurricane is near Andros Island. Tropical storm force winds radiate out 185 miles from the center and hurricane-force winds fan out 80 miles from the core.

Earlier predictions in the last two days had landfall anywhere from Jacksonville to Cape Canaveral to Vero Beach and Melbourne.

Forecasters pointed out that computer models of more than 72 hours out can have errors of several hundred miles.

Patrick Air Force Base's 45th Weather Squadron today released a forecast that said the center of Frances could pass about 61 miles southwest of Patrick at 8 p.m. on Saturday.

Here is the 5 a.m. statement: "Hurricane Frances is currently 609 miles southeast of PAFB/CCAFS. It is a Category 4 Hurricane with winds in excess of 125 knots (144 mph). It is moving northwest at 11 knots (15 mph) and in the general direction of the Florida central coast and PAFB/CCAFS.

"Given this movement, the closest point of approach to PAFB/CCAFS is currently forecast to be 61 miles southwest of PAFB/CCAFS on Saturday, 4 September at 8 PM.

"At that time, PAFB/CCAFS could experience wind speeds in excess of 100 mph, heavy downpours, street flooding, hail, and isolated tornadoes. At landfall, this hurricane could produce a storm surge along the immediate coast in excess of 12 feet above normal tide level."

Records from the last century show no two Category 4 storms with winds of 131-155 mph hitting a state within weeks of each other, hurricane center meteorologist Rick Knabb said.

The last time two major hurricanes hit Florida in rapid succession was 1950, the hurricane center said. Hurricane Easy hit Tampa around Sept. 4 of that year and Hurricane King hit Miami six weeks later, on Oct. 17. It's been less than three weeks since Charley struck Aug. 13 on Florida's southwest coast before cruising inland over Orlando and leaving the peninsula near Daytona Beach.

Here is the hurricane center's 11 a.m. statement on Frances' course based on computer models:

"The most interesting aspect this morning is that the National Weather Service global forecast system...GFS...and GFDL models have shifted their tracks a little to the west and are now in better agreement with the other dynamical models.

"Now that the reliable GFS and GFDL are in agreement with the other models...the confidence in the official forecast is higher. Frances is moving toward the west-northwest or 295 degrees at 11 knots around the periphery of the subtropical ridge.

"All models are holding the ridge strong and long enough to keep the hurricane on a west-northwest to northwest track with a decrease in forward speed.

This track would bring the core of the hurricane near the East Coast of Florida in about 48 hours or so. Because Frances has a large wind field and the tropical storm force winds are expected to reach the coast much earlier than the eye

"A Hurricane Warning has been issued for the portions of the Florida East Coast to allow sufficient time for preparations."

Ed Rappaport, deputy director of the National Hurricane Center in Miami, said today that Frances is just as strong as Charley but twice the size.

Frances can cause "the same kind of devastation over a larger area," Rappaport told NBC's "Today."

Supermarkets along the state's Atlantic coast were stripped of bottled water and canned goods. By 3 a.m. today, long lines were forming outside home supply stores in Palm Beach County, with dozens of people desperately hoping for a chance to buy plywood or generators. A delivery truck's arrival was met with raucous applause.

"People should not concentrate on the forecast track," hurricane center forecaster Jack Beven said this morning, again urging residents of the entire watch region to immediately begin preparing. "A slight dip in the track could result in big changes in landfall."

An evacuation order was issued for 300,000 Palm Beach County residents, and those who live in mobile homes and flood-prone areas of Volusia, Brevard, Martin and Indian River counties also were ordered to find safer locations. Forecasters said storm surges of 15 feet or more could affect those areas if Frances takes dead aim.

[ September 02, 2004, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: pjbs35a ]

Meryl70
09-02-2004, 12:16 PM
I'm going to WDW on 9/11 and was curious if Frances does hit the Orlando area on Sunday, do you think the parks will be okay by the 11th? I'm worried since they say this hurricane is worse then Charley.

Thanks.

SallyP
09-02-2004, 12:34 PM
Meryl70
Don't be worried. You have no control over the situation. If Orlando is in the direct path, which is looking very probable at this point, we can do nothing but assess the situation and go from there. My suggetion to you is to visit this discussion board for current updates even after the storm.
Unfortunately no one can answer your question with any exactness.

[ September 02, 2004, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: SallyP ]

[BS]Mickey
09-02-2004, 12:44 PM
OIA has announced now that it will close to both incoming and outgoing flights at noon Friday. Patrick AFB and Cape Canaveral have announced mandatory evacuations. All major arteries from the coast, (I95,I4,Bee Line,Turnpike), are packed with traffic. If you arrive to OIA before it closes, print a road map before you leave and stay away from the interstate.

imported_dpamac
09-02-2004, 12:45 PM
Okay, it's finally official. Just got this press release from MCO:

ORLANDO, FL – Hurricane Frances is expected to impact flight operations at Orlando International Airport. As a result, the air carriers have agreed to cease passenger flights at noon on Friday, September 3, 2004. High wind conditions are expected to affect transport of passengers between the main terminal and airline gate areas via the automated people mover system.

Additionally, please be aware that:

Domestic passengers holding reservations for flights prior to noon on Friday, September 3 2004, need to arrive 3 hours prior to their departure.

For further information on flight schedules up that time, please contact the airline directly.
The Hyatt Hotel at Orlando International Airport is booked and sold out.

The Greater Orlando Aviation Authority continues to implement its response plan for handling the effects of the hurricane. The plan includes, but is not limited to:

Coordinating with local and state emergency management agencies.

Coordinating with all airlines and tenants
Securing of construction equipment and tenant activities

Securing of aircraft jet-bridges and all loose items in ramp areas

Sandbag preparations and placement

Normal flight operations will resume when weather permits and clean up operations are completed. Orlando International Airport is not an emergency shelter.

# # #

Honey_BDynamo
09-02-2004, 12:47 PM
prayers and pixie dust to central florida!

2 storms in 4 weeks! :eek: graemlins/shakehead.gif

[ September 02, 2004, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: Honey_BDynamo ]

Toad_Passenger
09-02-2004, 01:07 PM
On one of the morning radio shows in Philly one of the DJ's was supposed to go to WDW this weekend. They got one of the TV Weather people on the radio and her response was, "Are you high or something?" She told him unequivocally to cancel his plans. So hopefully other people will heed this also and not try to get there this weekend. This isn't some ordinary weather event.

Jeri Lynn
09-02-2004, 01:14 PM
Everyone stay safe, you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

marlyn
09-02-2004, 01:17 PM
graemlins/shakehead.gif I don't know what to say to all of you out in Florida right now! All I can do is say some prayers for you and send extra pixie dust your way......here's hoping it passes without too much damage and most importantly I hope no one gets hurt!

You will all be in my prayers!

DisneyDog
09-02-2004, 01:32 PM
I'm scared, because they don't know where this thing is going to hit. I live on the West Coast, and my mom lives on the East coast in Palm Beach County (Boynton Beach). She lives in-land a bit, so they haven't evacuated her, but anything is possible at this point. Luckily, she lives in new construction.

There are hurricane warnings for Eastern Collier County -- I live in Collier, but North West Collier, almost in Lee County. Eastern Collier is probably refering to the Everglades and Indian Reservations more than anything.

However, this is the kind of thing where you have to watch every update. This could change at any time and veer in a completely different direction. We're not going to know until it happens, so we just have to be prepared.

I went to the store at lunchtime. Publix was packed. I still have 99% of my supplies from Charley, but I needed some food for the weekend and diapers for DS. I spent most of my lunch in line (the other part was trying to find a parking space!). The schools let out early today since they are using them for shelters for folks evacuating from the East Coast. So, the school buses were out in force at lunchtime also.

I am supposed to work on Saturday...I don't know if we will be open or not. Keep your fingers crossed that either we don't HAVE to close or that if we need to close they will make the smart decision and close.

Everyone will be in my prayers...pixie dust to us all!!

Calamity Jane
09-02-2004, 01:33 PM
OK...perhaps I need to stop reading things about the storm cause it's just making me nervous.

They cancelled schools here today so I really have nothing to do. The only things being posted on my online classes are "BE SAFE" and "hope your house doesn't fall down".

I'm going to go out and go boating on Bay Lake this afternoon just to take my mind off of things. At least it's nice today for the people who are vacationing down here.

Patti
09-02-2004, 01:35 PM
I was supposed to arrive this morning at WDW and decided to cancel. Instead, we're arriving on Monday. I was on the phone two hours this morning changing all the arrangements.

Be safe out there, and use your heads. It just isn't worth the consequences.

Ian
09-02-2004, 01:48 PM
First off let me say I hope everyone comes through this storm safe and sound.

We're supposed to arrive in WDW on Friday the 10th ... does anyone think we'll still have problems then? I've heard people say that Florida could still be largely without power on Friday.

I hope things aren't as bad as everyone thinks they will be :(

[BS]Mickey
09-02-2004, 02:15 PM
Ian, most power to Disney was never affected by Charley. Most of Disney's plant is underground buried wire. Disney should be back up and running as soon as Monday. However, after Charley, some red lights were not restored for 2 weeks. In fact, some red lights have not been replaced yet. They are the roads with multiple lights though. As far as debris and power, the most visible effect should be homes and smaller businesses. Disney hasn't said anything publicly, but they were open normally the morning after Charley passed. So Friday shouldn't be a concern.

DicksonGR
09-02-2004, 02:28 PM
Hey everyone ....

I noticed Ian asking about the 10th September, so what about the day before? We'll be heading to Orlando Sanford from Glasgow, UK on the 9th (arriving early PM). Will I have anything to worry about.

I'm praying that everyone stays safe during this horrible period!

Toad_Passenger
09-02-2004, 02:28 PM
I don't know if I'm allowed to give out this information but everyone should check out their local NBC station's website. Ours in Philadelphia has a link where you can keep updated with a LIVE feed from the NBC station in Miami. It's very interesting stuff, and helpful on deciding where to go and when to go there.

DisneyKim22
09-02-2004, 02:34 PM
Truck loads of pixie dust to all of you in the path of the hurricane. Please every one be smart and be safe!! Be sure to check in when you can so we know you are all okay.

ptwitts
09-02-2004, 02:51 PM
I went with my wife to WDW right after Charley (2 days, to be exact), and the resort itself was virtually untouched. The area around the resort looked pretty hard-hit, but everything in the park seemed fine. Typhoon Lagoon was closed the day after, and Animal Kingdom opened late the day after, but the rest of the resort was just fine.

The hardest part was actually getting there... the airport was hit pretty hard, and some of the gates were not operational for planes to dock, meaning longer delays until we could disembark.

This hurricane is looking much worse than Charley, just because of the size and scope. Everyone down there, be safe and my thoughts are with you. Everyone traveling in the next few weeks, maybe it is best to leave the speculation until after the storm passes, so that the actual impact of the storm can be judged.

imported_JohnY
09-02-2004, 02:53 PM
Well, my conference that I am at cancelled their friday sessions as the Orlando Convention Center has decided to close.

Anyway, webcam as been aquired and I will be announcing where the page will be that will hold the HurriCam immage later tonite after it gets hooked up.

I can tell you everyone is tense around here. I saw highway crews out a little while ago lowering the big lights that illuminate on and off ramps off of I4.

Honestly, driving around the last few days, I have noticed there is rearely a store sign on 192 that is left in tact. It's amazing what damage was done around here from the last hurricane.

SallyP
09-02-2004, 02:55 PM
For all of you asking about arriving days after the storm - no one knows. We understand your anxiety but the fact is no one knows. Disney may be functioning but Orlando or Lake Buena Vista or Kissimmee may be on curfew. Having just gone through this 2 weeks ago I can tell you the curfew was in effect for 10 days. No outsiders were allowed in the area unless you were on a volunteer list, such as utility workers, Salvation Army, Red Cross. This was because the roads were full of debris - trees, concrete roof tiles, mobile home siding, glass.
There was no electric in the area, no phones, no sanitation plants. I'm not trying to be cruel or flippant, I'm trying to let you know the enormity of the situation. Things we take for granted may not be available for awhile.
All counties and municipalities handle disaster relief in different ways. Disney may have enough clout to get the roads in their area reopened but I'd bet they wouldn't do it if anyone, guest or cast member, would be in harm's way. Sorry about the disertation but NO ONE KNOWS.

RNTinkFan
09-02-2004, 02:57 PM
I'll be keeping everyone in the path of this storm in my thoughts. I just hope everyone uses their heads and stays safe. We are worrying about friends of DD who just moved to Lakeland the last weekend of July, we haven't heard from her since before Charley. :( So, DD is especially worried. Sending truckloads of Pixie Dust to everyone down there. Stay safe.

pjbs35a
09-02-2004, 03:01 PM
NEW ORLEANS (AP) - Saints and Miami Dolphins officials are considering canceling or changing the starting time of the teams' exhibition game tomorrow night because of Hurricane Frances. Both teams say they're monitoring the Category Four storm's progress as thousands of South Florida residents prepare to evacuate the region.

The Dolphins already have moved their departure time from New Orleans from tonight to 9 a.m. tomorrow to give their players, coaches and executives more time to prepare for the storm. A final decision on the game will not be made until tomorrow morning.

The last time an NFL game was canceled because of weather was in 1992 when Hurricane Andrew wiped out the New England Patriots' game in Miami. The game was made up a month later.

mono
09-02-2004, 03:17 PM
Best of luck to all of you in Florida (and the Carolinas too). Stay safe.

AdrianInOcala
09-02-2004, 03:18 PM
Well, my conference that I am at cancelled their friday sessions as the Orlando Convention Center has decided to close.

Are you down here for PhotoShop World? I was supposed to go, but had too much at work that needed to be put in place before the storm. It's tough being the Engineer/IT/Marketing guy. smile.gif

imported_JohnY
09-02-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by AdrianInOcala:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by JohnY:

Are you down here for PhotoShop World? I was supposed to go, but had too much at work that needed to be put in place before the storm. It's tough being the Engineer/IT/Marketing guy. smile.gif </font>[/QUOTE]Yeppers. Good show too...

roryjulie
09-02-2004, 03:41 PM
I just got back from WDW (traveled 8/23-8/30). Looks like I picked the lucky week to travel this year. I hope everyone who is there or is going is safe and has a great trip despite the weather!

Toad_Passenger
09-02-2004, 04:04 PM
Just heard on the web feed that Orlando will be under a mandatory curfew starting tomorrow at 12pm.

DisneyDog
09-02-2004, 04:11 PM
The Collier County Government is currently in a meeting to decide what will happen within our county. We all know what the Hurricane Centers are predicting. However, some commercial centers (I don't know which one, this is what I've been told) are apparently predicting the hurricane will touch down in Ft. Lauderdale, come across the state (i.e. Alligator Alley), and exit around Ft. Myers (just north of where I live) and travel up the Gulf to Georgia.

Apparently, these were the same folks who correctly predicted the path of Charley. So, it will be interesting to see who is correct. Unfortunately, with all of the evactuations on the east coast, everyone is coming HERE. We have virtually no hotel rooms available in the entire county and they are filling up the shelters quickly and opening up new ones as we speak.

SallyP
09-02-2004, 04:23 PM
I just saw Stephanie Abrams, a Weather Channel reporter giving a live update from Downtown Disney. JohnY, you weren't there with her were you? Downtown D looked very, very deserted :( .
I truly hope all this advanced preparation on eveyones part makes Frances cower and stay out at sea.
Our main thoroughfare over here US 41 (Tamiami Trail) is bumper to bumper going north. I can't imagine what I95 east coast & I75 west coast are like.

Toad_Passenger
09-02-2004, 04:25 PM
I thought they were telling people not to go North? On NBC 6 Miami they said people should go south or west, because if there is an error in landfall it will be further north.

Remzlightyear
09-02-2004, 04:34 PM
Just heard down here in the Magic City that Orlando will be under curfew tonight. I-95 and I-75 are jammed.

SallyP
09-02-2004, 04:36 PM
There are some places in Florida, especially near the Miami area, where there aren't very many options to go west. Because of that, it might be better to go north for a bit and hookup with an east-west connector. I would imagine they're all getting backed-up by now.

[ September 02, 2004, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: SallyP ]

LauraSAnne
09-02-2004, 04:40 PM
I keep watching the satellite in motion...and it sure looks to me like it's starting to head northwards towards Jacksonville. I've been watching it all day and it seemed as though it was going to cut across the state earlier, but I'm noticing now that it's started to change angles ever so slightly.

My Aunt lives in Kissimmee and she lost 50% of her shingles in Charley...she said she'd pay my fiance's (he's great at anything construction related) way if he would come fix her roof. She's been on a waiting list to have it fixed by her long time roofing company and they told her a few days ago she should just go somewhere else cause there was no way they were going to get to her's anytime in the near future--I'm sure they're ALL going to say that, especially after this weekend! She's had plastic put over the entire roof and has been wrapping everything in her house in plastic for the last two days...how fun... graemlins/shakehead.gif

Lawnmower.Tree
09-02-2004, 04:55 PM
Not sure if I can post this...but here is a link to all of the Traffic Cams in the Miami area..as of now the traffic doesn't look to bad. If they stay up it may give us a birds eye view of the storm...Good Luck to all in Francis' path..

we just need to remember the Movie "Stripes" and say "Lighten Up Francis!!"

Miami Traffic Cams (http://www.smartraveler.com/scripts/sfl_videofix.asp?city=sfl&cityname=South+Florida)

Mr. Brass Bonanza
09-02-2004, 06:08 PM
John, what resort are you staying at? Were you able to do Disney stuff today?

Please, stay safe, man.

drmduval
09-02-2004, 06:08 PM
Stay safe all you Floridians (and guests). Hopefully this will be the last hurricane of the season for you. You guys deserve a break!! Prayers and pixie dust from Wisconsin are with you!

[ September 02, 2004, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: drmduval ]

Timbo
09-02-2004, 06:15 PM
Here in Southeast Broward county it is already getting fairly breezy out of the east and we've had some rain showers move through...not the usual afternoon thunderstorms that move west to east, these are moving east to west.

My family's preparations are almost complete. I had wanted to fill our coolers with ice, but there is none to be found and I got tired of the traffic out there. We've got everything else we need including topping off our vehicle's gas tanks (30 minute wait for that).

I will continue to visit and post updates as I can. NHC still thinks it will come ashore somewhere a bit north of us, so that is some good news for my immediate area, but not for others, including many of my friends.

I am very concerned about the devastation that Frances will cause and I urge all my Florida neighbors to be smart and stay safe.

Digger
09-02-2004, 06:55 PM
school's closed tomorrow over here in the Tampa area. I think this one's going to make everyone ask 'Andrew who?' it's moving way too slow for comfort. charley was bad, but at least it moved through quickly. frances is going to erase everything it touches, I'm afraid. :(

Mr. Brass Bonanza
09-02-2004, 07:14 PM
What are they saying about the Kennedy Space Center down there? I know the hanger doors were only built to survive 115 MPH winds. At the speed of those winds and the storms snail's pace, if Frances hits land within a 30 mile radius of KSC, there is a real chance the three shuttles could be destroyed. They have two shuttle carrier aircrafts that fly the shuttles back to Florida when the shuttles land in California. I'm rather surprised they're not flying the shuttles out of Florida to avoid the storm.

This could set back the space program decades. I know that is not as important as homes and lives, but it is a potential reality of this storm.

stitch626
09-02-2004, 07:20 PM
Went to IOA today as I mentioned yesterday. The park was very pleasant. Did not wait for more than 15 minutes for any ride. Asked a few crew members if they had any info on closings and no one knew anything at that point.

Took the beeline to IOA this morning and traffic was not bad at all. There was a little bit of a back up for the exit to the Florida Turnpike but could get around it in the left lane. On the way home was a different story. Luckily I was traveling eastbound. There was a back up starting at the same exit all the way past the exit for the airport. At least 8 miles. That is where I got off so who knows how much further it went. Tolls were suspended in both directions.

Was told by a co-worker( I work at Discovery Cove) that we would be closing at noon on Friday and closed on Saturday. Still up in the air about Sunday. Depends how fast Frances moves through. Reports on the local news are saying Discovery Cove and Sea World will close at 3pm Friday. Will not know which is true until I go to work tomorrow morning at 6am.

Mom is still at work (the airport) so no updates there. Have heard on several news stations that airport will close at noon.

Weather was beautiful today. I know this will change soon. Off to do more preparing. Once again will update with any news.

Patricia
09-02-2004, 07:42 PM
The latest from the Orlando Sentinel

Staff and Wire Reports
Posted September 2, 2004, 7:03 PM EDT

Approaching hurricane grounds Florida tourism to a halt

Casey Parlacka planned to be at Walt Disney World on Thursday for a weekend trip with her best friend. She changed her mind at the last minute and decided to stay in Michigan after her mother-in-law sent photos of Hurricane Charley's damage from three weeks ago and warned her that the approaching Hurricane Frances would be much worse.

"We wanted to be in Florida right now, but we would rather be safe than in a hurricane," said Parlacka, 23, by telephone from Grand Rapids, Mich.

Florida's $50 billion tourism industry slowly ground to a halt as Frances and its 145 mph winds neared the state. Visitors like Parlacka canceled trips. Cruise ships rescheduled returns and departures. Airline carriers planned to stop flights out of some airports on Friday. Coastal hotels that had been expecting a profitable Labor Day weekend were evacuated.

The lost tourism revenue in Florida likely will run in the hundreds of millions of dollars, said Abe Pizam, a professor of hospitality management at the University of Central Florida in Orlando.

"This is the worst time of the year to have this hurricane," Pizam said. "Labor Day weekend is very busy."

The 300-room beachfront Holiday Inn Beach Resort in Melbourne, about 70 miles southeast of Orlando, was fully booked for the holiday weekend until guests began checking out Thursday under an evacuation order and employees began leaving their vulnerable homes for Orlando or the Gulf Coast.

General manager Tim Michaud said he expected at least $100,000 in lost revenue.

"That's just rooms," Michaud said. "We're also losing functions for the weekend."

Further north along the coast, almost every business in Cocoa Beach was closed, including Ron Jon's Surf Shop, a tourist attraction that stays open 24 hours a day.

At the Ocean Palm motel in Miami Beach, 170 miles dues south, manager Robert Yengich had been expecting a profitable Labor Day weekend since its one of three holiday weekends when rates increase an average of 30 percent a night.

"We really make a lot of money so it's just a terrific loss for the owners," Yengich said.

The weekend wasn't a total loss for the state's hotels. Most of the 120,000 hotel rooms in metro Orlando, which has the second-largest hotel market in the nation behind Las Vegas, were occupied -- by evacuees. Just over 1,000 rooms were available for Friday.

Anheuser-Busch-owned Sea World Orlando and Discovery Cove, and Universal Orlando's two theme parks and Citywalk entertainment complex, planned to close Friday afternoon and all day Saturday. Walt Disney World stopped accepting reservations for the weekend and announced slightly altered schedules on Friday. Magic Kingdom will close at 8 p.m., Epcot at 9, MGM at 6, Animal Kingdom at 5. Downtown Disney will close at 6 p.m. and Pleasure Island will be close Friday night. Officials planned for all Disney parks and attractions to be closed Saturday.

Disney's crowds were unusually light. At the Magic Kingdom, rides like Space Mountain that can have waits up to two hours were only 10 minutes long. The short waits were a boon for visitors like Barb Delaney and her children, of Springfield, Va., who still found Pinochio signing autographs, Cinderella performing in her "Surprise Celebration" show and "Zippidity Doo Dah" blaring from loud speakers.

"We're going to look at it as one more adventure," said Delaney, a civilian Department of Defense worker whose 13-year-old daughter and 11-year-old son saved three years worth of pocket change totaling $600 for the trip. "We saved up three years to come here and a hurricane isn't going to stop us."

Edgar Martinez, and his new wife, Brenda, whose Mickey Mouse ears were attached with a white wedding veil, worried the hurricane would dampen their honeymoon.

"Bad luck for us," said Edgar Martinez, 28, a math teacher in Tijuana, Mexico.

Carnival Cruise Lines canceled a Bahamas cruise set to leave Friday and rescheduled six other cruises set to leave on Saturday and Sunday out of Port Canaveral, Tampa and Miami. Disney Cruise Lines rescheduled itineraries for its two ships, the Wonder and Magic.

Air carriers at Orlando International Airport planned to end passenger flights at noon Friday until the hurricane passed. The Melbourne International Airport closed Thursday.

Gov. Jeb Bush on Wednesday warned visitors to stay out of Florida for the next few days, but then asked them to come back after the hurricane had passed -- real soon.

"If you decide to spend Labor Day somewhere else," Bush said, "We ask that you reschedule your vacations."

[BS]Mickey
09-02-2004, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Brass Bonanza:
What are they saying about the Kennedy Space Center down there?They have moved all 3 shuttles to safety, then issued an evac order for KSC and the air force base.
To my knowledge, none of the shuttles were in the vertical assembly building. Also, with current repairs and retrofits going on, the shuttles are in no shape to fly crosscountry.

As of 5pm, most local stations have shifted the track further south, but not by much. Of course, they really were fooled by Charley's last minute hijinx, so they are still showing a window of error as big as Florida. Bottom line is, if you live anywhere from Jax south to the Keys, be prepared.

MauiMouse
09-02-2004, 07:50 PM
I just want to say that I hope that everyone in Florida stays safe and sound. Take Care! smile.gif

Tink19
09-02-2004, 07:56 PM
Mr. Brass Bonanza...I think the shuttles will be okay b/c you figure that those shuttles are meant for re-entering the atmosphere and that alone is a lot on a shuttle so if it can make it through that then I think they will be okay.They also said the same thing on the news this morning about the shuttles and Kennedy Space Center. They said they were going to close early so they can prepare for the hurricane and so the people who work there can go home and plan for themselves. They also explaned how the shuttles should be okay. ;)

Mr. Brass Bonanza
09-02-2004, 08:15 PM
Ah yes...I forgot the three orbiters are in no condition to be in the air. I know that Discovery and Atlantis are in orbital processing facilities. Endeavour is going through its down-time maintenance in the new facility for that, but I didn't hear whether or not it was moved to the third OPF.

Miles O'Brien on CNN made it sound very grim if the eye comes close to KSC. I liked Tom Mintier for space reporting better, but nobody came close to John Hollaman, God rest his soul.

Stay safe, everyone, please.

RazdOnDis
09-02-2004, 08:44 PM
DD reports that they made it to her DH's parents in Ft Myers from West Palm Beach no problem. Apparently a lot of people are spending a little extra time locking down and the roads aren't bad at all right now. Come tomorrow though, look out.

Pixie dust to all the Intercotees having to "weather" the storm. Stay safe.

buzznwoodysmom
09-02-2004, 08:53 PM
Being from Louisiana and going through Hurricane Andrew I know how bad these things can get. Please everyone be smart, careful, and safe. Those of you with vacation plans, please reschedule. I love WDW just as much as everyone here, but not even Mickey is worth your safty. I hope all of you who are in the storm's path are safe and that you don't sustain too much damage. To all of our Intercot friends from Florida, please check in as soon as you can after the Hurricane to let us know you are ok! Prayers and Pixie dust on the way from Louisiana!

[ September 02, 2004, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: buzznwoodysmom ]

mickeymousemom
09-02-2004, 09:00 PM
Batten down the hatches and stay safe everyone---you're all in our prayers!

Digger
09-02-2004, 09:07 PM
we're getting preliminary reports that we're going to see tropical storm effects on the west coast. the kids aren't in school tomorrow because the schools are busy being set up as shelters and stations for the crush of evacuating masses. that's a little scary.

Piglet822
09-02-2004, 09:08 PM
The storm shifted it's path. They eye will be coming over my house. Frances is coming!! I have nothing to serve graemlins/shakehead.gif

Dreamin' of Disney
09-02-2004, 09:27 PM
Oh, Jeanne, please stay safe, I'm praying and praying for you, for all of you!! I hope all fair well, and god bless you all. Prayers and pixie dust...*~*~*~*~*

DonnaT103
09-02-2004, 09:45 PM
Piglet822, I love your aditude. graemlins/mixed.gif I pray you and all other Florida residences stay safe, and that Frances doesn't ask too much of you. You'll all be in my prayers tonight and for the nexst couple of nights.

DaisylovesDonald
09-02-2004, 10:02 PM
I had terrible nightmares last night of a hurricane hitting us up here in Mass. I just can't imagine what you poor folks are going through. We'll be sending plenty of prayers and pixie dust to everyone. STAY SAFE!!!!!

Calamity Jane
09-02-2004, 10:03 PM
Just talked to the folks back home...my mom had like 3 tvs tuned to three different stations covering the hurricane. She's not a happy camper right now graemlins/shakehead.gif Oh why oh why did her oldest daughter have to move to Florida.

I'm taking the same attitude for the storm that I'm taking with the rest of the problems in my life right now....just let them go. Whatever happens, happens. I don't have control over things so I'll just make the best of it.

This may make me sound stupid but oh well...i'll just be adding this to my list of things to pray for and help my roomate host our hurricane ride out party.

I hope to post here again before the storm but I volunteered to help get the Studios get ready for Frances after work tomorrow so who knows if I'll get back. If I don't I'll see ya'll on the other side. graemlins/beer.gif

imported_PolyGirl40
09-02-2004, 10:13 PM
Hurricane Frances - Walt Disney World Resort Announcement

Based on updated information from the National Weather Service and consultation with emergency preparedness officials, Walt Disney World theme and water parks will operate on an abbreviated schedule on Friday, September 3, 2004.

Current forecasts indicate tropical force winds will not reach the Walt Disney World Resort until daylight on Saturday. Based on this information, we anticipate closing on Saturday. Additional schedule announcements will be made as updated information becomes available Friday.

This schedule will allow us to feed and care for the more than 75,000 Resort guests who will be staying on Walt Disney World property throughout the weekend.

HOURS OF OPERATION

Magic Kingdom: 9 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Epcot: 9 a.m. - 9 p.m.
Disney-MGM Studios: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Disney's Animal Kingdom: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Blizzard Beach: 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Typhoon Lagoon: 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Disney's Wide World of Sports: Open for scheduled events
Fantasia Gardens & Winter Summerland -- 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.

Downtown Disney: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Pleasure Island: Closed
Cirque du Soleil: 6 p.m. show only
DisneyQuest -- 11:30 a.m. - 6 p.m.

Electrical Water Pageant -- Cancelled

All Walt Disney World Resort hotels will remain open throughout the storm. Guests staying at Disney's Ft. Wilderness Resort & Campground will be relocated to other hotels on property.

We have an extensive hurricane preparedness plan and are staffed and prepared for a realm of possible impacts that this type weather could have on our property.

[ September 03, 2004, 09:00 AM: Message edited by: PolyGirl40 ]

catkrazy
09-02-2004, 10:14 PM
Just getting ready up here in South GA for the onslaught of evacuees. I work at a vet's office and we are getting tons of people calling to board their animals for the weekend. I feel so bad for people trying to find places to stay, holiday weekend plus this storm. During Charlie, every hotel in Lowndes County was book full. I think we may see more this time because no one knows where it is going to make landfall so a lot of different areas are evacuating. Please drive safe if you are evacuating!! I-75 traffic up here has been pretty bad.

disneyjoe
09-02-2004, 10:17 PM
Prayers and Pixie Dust for everyone in the path of the Hurricane.Hope everyone make out alright. :(

imported_JohnY
09-02-2004, 10:48 PM
Well all... Dollar Rent A Car was very gracious and waived the normal drop off fee, so I have decided to drive my rental car home before the hurricane hits. While I have no doubt it would have been an interesting weekend and the hurricam would have been a hit, I have a family to think about, and they want me home.

So, to our cast that lives in Orlando and those vacationing here who are riding out the storm, my prayers are with you.

We'll be working to update the site with the latest information as it comes in. Please check the storm thread often.

Timbo
09-02-2004, 11:42 PM
John, I was just thinking about your predicament and I thought you ought to rent a car and get on home. You made the right decision. Godspeed.

WDW crazy
09-03-2004, 12:05 AM
Stay safe everyone! Wherever this thing goes, I hope you all take every precaution and keep your families safe. I will be thinking about all of you over there and praying that you will all be safe. graemlins/crying.gif For those of you who had to cancel your trip, I am very sorry it must be very depressing but you really wouldn't want to be there at this time. :( Give it a week or so to get back to normal and then go and have some fun. Good luck to you all!

Ghost1000
09-03-2004, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by SallyP:
I'm not trying to be cruel or flippant, I'm trying to let you know the enormity of the situation. Things we take for granted may not be available for awhile.This storm has literally turned the entire state of Florida upside down and it hasn't even touched land yet. Try finding gas ANYWHERE right now and your patience will be put to the test. Every major road in the state has been stop and go all day and will probably remain so until well after the storm passes. They all have to come home sometime. Nearly every place you can imagine is total chaos. It's like the holiday shopping season multiplied at least twice with the added element of fear. It's so unreal . . . :eek:

[ September 03, 2004, 01:50 AM: Message edited by: Ghost1000 ]

MCFantasia
09-03-2004, 04:37 AM
At my hotel here in Atlanta I've been getting Floridian refugees all night. So many, in fact, we are completely booked for the rest of the weekend. Not sure if they had to come this far or if they just chose to but their saying it was a horrible drive (twice as long as normal)just to get here. Lots of pixie dust coming from here for all you folks that are staying behind.

smcd
09-03-2004, 06:21 AM
This is so horrible. My mother lost everything in Andrew - actually that's why she is living up here with us now.

My daughter has a good friend who just got started in the college program down there. I'm nervous about the kids in this program. They're new to Disney and bam - here comes this storm. Especially after what one of the other CPs posted earlier.

Prayers and hopes are with everyone there.

[ September 03, 2004, 06:23 AM: Message edited by: smcd ]

SallyP
09-03-2004, 06:28 AM
Frances is losing some power! Let's hope she weakens even more. Cat 3 right now instead of a 4.
Jeanne don't serve Frances anything, maybe she'll get the hint and realize she's not welcome!
Stay dry.

[ September 03, 2004, 06:41 AM: Message edited by: SallyP ]

AdrianInOcala
09-03-2004, 06:50 AM
Some observations from Ocala. Going home from work yesterday the first issue was to stop for gas (Driving in yesterday morning, not thinking, I figured I'd judt fill up after work). I hit 3 or 4 different stations with lines of motorhomes, etc, and numerous others were out of gas. I found one that still had gas, filled up and headed over to I-75 to go home. I was going southbound, of course there was no traffic that direction, but northbound was heavy but moving.

Got home and did the tape and boards for the windows, so I only have about 30 minutes worth of work to put them up tomorrow.

Coming into work this morning at 5AM, traffic northbound on 75 was somewhat heavy but moving at the speedlimit. The radio traffic reports said it was a 3hr trip from Orlando to the northern end of the turnpike, in Wildwood. (Normally 45min to an hour). The track is still shifting every report. sometimes showing the center coming just sout of Ocala, sometimes showing it closer to the northern Tampa suburbs. Just going to wait and see what happens.

Toad_Passenger
09-03-2004, 07:28 AM
Cat 3 now and looking very disorganized. Unfortunately the Bahamas took a direct hit, but they may have helped knock Frances around a bit as well. Let's hope she continues to shear away to nothing by the time she makes landfall!

Dopey's Girl
09-03-2004, 08:09 AM
I just want to send all my prayers and pixie dust to you all down there. Let's hope that Frances keeps loosing steam and you got all prepared for nothing!

imported_PolyGirl40
09-03-2004, 08:23 AM
Gov. Bush wants state declared disaster area

By Jeff Kunerth and Maya Bell
Sentinel Staff Writers

September 3, 2004

UPDATE 8:15 a.m. from The Associated Press: Frances weakened today into a strong Category 3 storm packing 120 mph winds and the potential to push ashore waves up to 14 feet high, and is expected to begin affecting the state by tonight.

Its top sustained winds were down from about 145 mph on Thursday, but forecasters said it could be fluctuation typical with large storms. At 8 a.m., the hurricane was centered 250 miles east-southeast of West Palm Beach and was moving west-northwest near 9 mph. Hurricane-force winds extended up to 85 miles from its center.

With its imposing size -- a cloud cover about as big as the state of Texas -- Frances has the potential to ravage the state with its slow movement. Forecasters say the slower the storm moves across the ocean, the longer its winds and rain could linger, increasing the possibility of serious damage.

Meanwhile, the ninth named storm of the season formed early today in the far eastern Atlantic. Tropical Storm Ivan was located about 610 miles southwest of the Cape Verde Islands and had maximum sustained winds of 40 mph. Ivan was centered near latitude 10.0 north, longitude 30.7 west.

Thousands jammed airports and highways Thursday seeking to escape Hurricane Frances as the largest evacuation in Florida history got under way.

More than 2.5 million people from Miami north to Flagler County were ordered by Gov. Jeb Bush to flee the coast and low-lying areas.

During a visit to the Brevard County Emergency Operations Center, Bush warned that the storm "is going to hit us. And it's going to hit us hard."

The governor asked his brother, President Bush, to declare the entire state a disaster area. It was the second such request in three weeks, since Charley reawakened Floridians to the horrors of hurricanes.

Theme parks will close early today, and Orlando International Airport will shut down at noon. Unable to extend guests' bookings, hotels were dealing with frantic tourists who had no way to get home.

Frances spent the day wobbling and weakening, even downgrading to a Category 3 late Thursday. But it still was expected to reach land Saturday as a powerful Category 4 storm, with winds of up to 140 mph and possibly dumping 10 to 20 inches of rain. It's forecast to be twice the size of Hurricane Andrew, the costliest storm in U.S. history, which pummeled South Florida in 1992.

Late Thursday, the hurricane center's official 48-hour forecast, which has an average error rate of about 170 miles, had Frances making landfall somewhere between Palm Beach and Cape Canaveral on Saturday morning. Forecasters expected it to cross the peninsula somewhere south of Orlando and emerge north of Tampa into the Gulf of Mexico.

Frances is just as strong as Hurricane Charley, which devastated Florida's southwest coast Aug. 13, but more than twice the size, said Ed Rappaport, assistant director of the National Hurricane Center in Miami.

"This is not going to be a large tornado, like Charley was," state meteorologist Ben Nelson said. "This is going to be a full-fledged hurricane."

The evacuation order for Frances surpassed the 1.3 million people urged to leave during Hurricane Floyd in 1999.

With hurricane-force winds that extend up to 80 miles from its center, Frances could lose forward speed and linger longer over land, which would mean more rain and a dangerous storm surge that could flood low-lying areas.

Hurricane warnings covered most of the state's eastern coast. Wherever Frances comes ashore, forecasters said, the storm surge could exceed 14 feet.

An estimated 14.6 million Florida residents -- 86 percent of the state's population -- are within the projected path of Frances. About 10 million live in the 21 counties along or close to the Atlantic coast, including millions in the state's 840,000 mobile homes.

Few Floridians felt safe from the threat of Frances.

"This is still such a powerful hurricane, we're going to see a massive impact over a large area of the peninsula," said Max Mayfield, director of the National Hurricane Center west of Miami. "We're going to have, I would predict, massive power outages over the whole Florida peninsula."

Volusia County joined Brevard on Thursday in issuing mandatory evacuation of 120,000 residents of manufactured homes, barrier islands and low-lying areas. Volusia also enacted a curfew for all evacuation areas starting at 8 p.m. today. Curfews will be enforced from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. for the duration of the storm.

Along the "condo canyon" of Daytona Beach Shores, many residents chose to ignore Volusia's evacuation order with the understanding that if Frances arrives, there will be no rescue from the storm.

In her condo complex, Jane Smith said owners in 43 out of the 114 units planned to stick it out.

"This is as safe as anywhere, and it sure beats the heck out of a motel made of cinder block and plywood. This is made of concrete and steel," Smith said.

Volusia County spokeswoman Holly Smith said it's against the law for people to defy a mandatory-evacuation order, "but we are not going to take them out kicking and screaming." Seminole County also issued mandatory-evacuation orders for mobile-home residents and those in flood-prone areas, while Osceola asked residents at risk to voluntarily leave their homes.

In South Florida, the entire city of Miami Beach was ordered to leave, along with 300,000 evacuees in Palm Beach County, 250,000 in Broward County and 320,000 in Miami-Dade County.

Among those leaving Orlando ahead of Frances are the Federal Emergency Management Agency officials who arrived after the departure of Hurricane Charley. FEMA closed its Orlando disaster office Wednesday and left town Thursday.

"You should look at FEMA as visitors -- as your cousin coming in from out of town," Orange County fire Chief Carl Plaugher said.

"From an emergency-services point of view, we don't need them. It's not FEMA that puts Band-Aids on people."

William Carwile, federal coordinating officer for FEMA, said FEMA has pulled nonessential employees back to Atlanta until the storm comes through. But federal teams, including medical personnel and search-and-rescue groups, are poised to work, as are teams that can make a nearly instant assessment of damage and victims' needs, he said.

Public schools in 35 counties -- including all in Central Florida -- are closed today. State universities and colleges canceled classes. Hospitals and nursing homes along the east coast were closing and transferring their patients to other facilities, some as far away as Georgia.

Tolls were suspended on the state's toll roads, but plans to make the Bee Line Expressway a westbound-only highway were scrapped after traffic from Brevard County was lighter than expected.

Across the state, traffic on major highways was heavy but moving steadily, said Col. Chris Knight of the Florida Highway Patrol. But there were bottlenecks and backups throughout the state as residents and visitors followed the evacuation orders.

Florida's Turnpike seemed to be the escape route of choice for east-coast evacuees, and it had backed up traffic for 50 miles Thursday.

Thursday afternoon, northbound traffic on Interstate 95 was a slow-moving bumper-to-bumper nightmare from north of Daytona Beach to the south Brevard County line. Southbound lanes were nearly empty.

Frances is so massive that it has people unsure where to go, fearing they will move into the hurricane's path. The hurricane watch stretched about 300 miles from Florida City, near the state's southern tip, to Flagler Beach, north of Daytona Beach.

"It creates some logistical challenges when a hurricane watch is from Dade County up to Nassau County," said Bush, who suggested that evacuees need only go as far as the nearest shelter. "There are ways to get to a place of safety without having to get on I-95."

State officials hoped to avoid a repeat of the evacuation mess during Hurricane Floyd, when the 1.3 million people told to evacuate backed up traffic for 30 miles or more as people headed inland.

Preparations for Frances stripped bare the shelves of grocery and hardware stores. Gasoline shortages were also reported.

In Vero Beach, Patricia Thomas couldn't find the high-octane gas tat her BMW coupe requires.

"No one has the high-grade," said Thomas, 40, stymied at her sixth station. "I just want to fill up my car and get far away from here. I'm mad, I'm frustrated, I'm scared. I'm not in a good place right now."

In Fort Pierce, mandatory evacuations of the barrier islands began at noon Thursday. By early evening, most residents had fled the exposed barrier islands, and downtown Fort Pierce, which sits exposed on the Indian River, was empty except for a few stragglers making last-minute preparations.

With a projected storm surge of up to 14 feet, the barrier islands, and much of the city's historic downtown, would be underwater.

"We're looking at massive flooding," said police Capt. Terry Barcelona, whose Fort Pierce Police Department headquarters looked like a bunker fortified with sandbags. "Once it passes, we'll open the doors and see what's left."

At The Original Tiki Bar on the city's waterfront, owner Ian Lloyd sat at his empty bar and sipped cold Coors Lights with two of his employees. By the bar was a beach ball on which they had written an offer to give a free beer to whoever returns it after the storm.

"Who knows," Lloyd said. "Maybe they'll find it in Orlando."

Bill George
09-03-2004, 08:49 AM
Best of luck to all of you in Florida. Remember, the storm will pass and the sun will once again come out, and you will once again be playing with Mickey & Minnie at WDW. I always like to look forward to the positive things.

All my prayers,
Bill

Jeremy
09-03-2004, 09:05 AM
I will be praying you all will be safe.

Toad_Passenger
09-03-2004, 09:56 AM
As of 9:55 am I just heard someone from the National Hurricane Center say that he doesn't believe the eyewall will survive the next cycle which would really deplete the strength of the storm over the next 24 hours.

It's better to err on the side of caution and I think that just may be what will happen here.

Donalds Duckie
09-03-2004, 10:09 AM
I heard the same thing. There is also a large dry line between Frances and Florida and 2 high pressure ridges.

There are a lot of prayers being lifted for Florida right now. Let's keep the hope and faith they will be answered and Frances will cause no harm. ;)

John, I'm happy you headed home. I do think that was the smart thing to do. Everyone in Florida do keep safe and remember we are praying for you.

[ September 03, 2004, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: Donalds Duckie ]

divinedi
09-03-2004, 10:14 AM
My echo to everyone's sentiments, prayers and much pixie dust to keep all of you in France's path safe. We are all thinking about you and wishing you all a safe journey through this new storm. Please take care of yourselves!

Crow
09-03-2004, 10:38 AM
drive safe John, batten down Miverva Piglet, Jeremy take care of all the actors in GMR..
everyone stay safe & i hope to see all ok Monday when i fly down there..
hmmm and i dont have transportation from the airport yet.

J9
09-03-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by smcd:
This is so horrible. My mother lost everything in Andrew - actually that's why she is living up here with us now.

My daughter has a good friend who just got started in the college program down there. I'm nervous about the kids in this program. They're new to Disney and bam - here comes this storm. Especially after what one of the other CPs posted earlier.

Prayers and hopes are with everyone there. Haha, that was probably me. I feel bad for just leaving and calling out, but after we caught Charley in South Carolina and saw a tornado touch down right in front of us, there was no way I was staying for a hurricane the size of Texas.

Hopefully all of my friends will stay safe and stupid Frances keeps deteriorating, although they were saying on the news that it may be reorganizing.

Hopefully my managers will understand and I won't get reprimanded for calling out. Let me just tell, Florida News 13 was scaring us to bits -- they made it sound like we were all going to die. It made me so nervous and I'm just glad I'm out.

With that said though, I can't wait until I fly back on MOnday because I love it down there!

RNTinkFan
09-03-2004, 11:14 AM
Well, we finally heard from DDs friend and her family, they weathered Charley just fine, but she doesn't seem concerned about this storm at all. She thought Charley was cool, oh to be 13 again. I'm really hoping this storm continues to weaken. Continuing to think about all of you in the path, and JohnY I hope you found enough gas to actually get home. Stay safe.

mommybelle
09-03-2004, 11:20 AM
Well it's just about here, The first rain bands are coming in 15 to 20 min. It's quite windy too. They're saying a direct hit between Vero and Stuart, we're right in the middle in beautiful downtown PSL. I probably wont be back on for awhile since my computer service is Satellite and I'm sure it's going to blow away.Good luck to all and hold onto your hats and glasses, it's going to be a bumpy ride!

imported_dpamac
09-03-2004, 11:25 AM
DCL has changed cruise dates:

Disney Cruise Line continues to monitor Hurricane Frances very closely. At this time, it is probable that the storm will impact air travel into the Central Florida area through Sunday. Given this information, the schedules for the Disney Magic and Disney Wonder are being modified.

The Disney Magic scheduled to depart Saturday, Sept. 4 will now sail on Monday, Sept. 6 on a five-night voyage from Port Canaveral at 7 p.m.

The Disney Wonder sailing scheduled to begin on Sunday, Sept. 5 will now sail on Monday, Sept. 6 on a three-night voyage from Port Canaveral at 6 p.m.

SallyP
09-03-2004, 11:48 AM
Hang in there, Mommybelle. We'll be thinking of you. We're all going to need canoes by the time this thing moves on. Make sure you post when you can.
My DH and I always prepare for the worst and celebrate the rest graemlins/beer.gif .

smcd
09-03-2004, 12:09 PM
Haha, that was probably me. I feel bad for just leaving and calling out, but after we caught Charley in South Carolina and saw a tornado touch down right in front of us, there was no way I was staying for a hurricane the size of Texas.

I think it was yours! - I'm glad you got out when you did, hurricanes are just terrible. Such a feeling of helplessness in these situations.

We havent heard anything from Melissa yet - here's hoping for the best.

09-03-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by mommybelle:
.., we're right in the middle in beautiful downtown PSL...Anyone knows what PSL stands for?

09-03-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by PolyGirl40:
...In Vero Beach, Patricia Thomas couldn't
find the high-octane gas tat her BMW coupe requires.

"No one has the high-grade," said Thomas, 40,
stymied at her sixth station. "I just want to
fill up my car and get far away from here.
I'm mad, I'm frustrated, I'm scared.
I'm not in a good place right now."
...:rolleyes:

SallyP
09-03-2004, 12:24 PM
Anyone knows what PSL stands for?
Port Saint Lucie

[ September 03, 2004, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: SallyP ]

09-03-2004, 12:25 PM
Well all... Dollar Rent A Car was very gracious and waived the normal drop off fee, so I have decided to drive my rental car home before the hurricane hits....Good for them!
I guess they figured that having a car driven out,
out of state, was the safest policy,
for the customer as well as for the car itself.

Marker
09-03-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Black Jack Shallack form Frontenac:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by mommybelle:
.., we're right in the middle in beautiful downtown PSL...Anyone knows what PSL stands for? </font>[/QUOTE]I reckon that would be Port St. Lucie.

09-03-2004, 12:29 PM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Anyone knows what PSL stands for?
Port Saint Lucie </font>[/QUOTE]Thank you.

smcd
09-03-2004, 01:15 PM
Haha, that was probably me. I feel bad for just leaving and calling out, but after we caught Charley in South Carolina and saw a tornado touch down right in front of us, there was no way I was staying for a hurricane the size of Texas.I think it was yours! - I'm glad you got out when you did, hurricanes are just terrible. Such a feeling of helplessness in these situations.

We havent heard anything from Melissa yet - here's hoping for the best.

[ September 03, 2004, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: smcd ]

[BS]Mickey
09-03-2004, 01:38 PM
Well, bad news first.It shifted again and placed the path back over Orlando. Now, the good news. It still is weakening a bit, so they are predicting winds of 'only' 80-100 mph in the area. The highest Charley gust was 105 at Kissimmee Airport, and it did a lot of tree, sign, and house damage. Plus, they are predicting between 10 to 20 inches of rain for this one.

I have to say, this time people seem to be a little more courteous and tolerant at stores and gas stations. It's ironic. Inside Disney, there are no lines, but outside, everyone is in line for everything.

The current prediction is worst for Central Florida overnight Saturday into Sunday.

pjbs35a
09-03-2004, 03:32 PM
HURRICANE FRANCES INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER 39A
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
2 PM EDT FRI SEP 03 2004

...FRANCES RELENTLESSLY LASHING CENTRAL AND WESTERN BAHAMAS...SLOWLY
HEADING FOR FLORIDA...

A HURRICANE WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR THE EAST COAST OF FLORIDA
FROM FLORIDA CITY NORTHWARD TO FLAGLER BEACH...INCLUDING LAKE
OKEECHOBEE. A HURRICANE WARNING ALSO REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE
CENTRAL AND NORTHWESTERN BAHAMAS.

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE MIDDLE AND UPPER
FLORIDA KEYS FROM SOUTH OF FLORIDA CITY SOUTHWARD TO THE SEVEN MILE
BRIDGE...INCLUDING FLORIDA BAY.

A HURRICANE WARNING MEANS THAT HURRICANE CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED
WITHIN THE WARNING AREA WITHIN THE NEXT 24 HOURS. PREPARATIONS TO
PROTECT LIFE AND PROPERTY SHOULD BE RUSHED TO COMPLETION.

A HURRICANE WATCH IS IN EFFECT FROM NORTH OF FLAGLER BEACH NORTHWARD
TO FERNANDINA BEACH.

AT 2 PM EDT...1800Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE FRANCES WAS LOCATED
BY SURFACE OBSERVATIONS FROM THE BAHAMAS AND A RECONNAISSANCE PLANE
NEAR LATITUDE 25.7 NORTH...LONGITUDE 77.2 WEST...VERY NEAR THE
SOUTHERN TIP OF GREAT ABACO IN THE BAHAMAS AND 200 MILES EAST-
SOUTHEAST OF THE FLORIDA LOWER EAST COAST.

FRANCES IS NOW MOVING TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 9 MPH...15
KM/HR. A WEST-NORTHWEST TO NORTHWESTWARD MOTION WITH SOME DECREASE
IN FORWARD SPEED IS EXPECTED DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS. ON THIS
TRACK ...THE CORE OF HURRICANE FRANCES WILL CONTINUE TO MOVE NEAR
OR OVER THE NORTHWESTERN BAHAMAS TODAY.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 115 MPH...185 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
GUSTS. SOME FLUCTUATIONS IN INTENSITY ARE FORECAST DURING THE NEXT
24 HOURS.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 85 MILES...140 KM...
FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP
TO 185 MILES...295 KM. NASSAU IN THE BAHAMAS HAS BEEN EXPERIENCING
GUSTS TO HURRICANE FORCE FOR THE PAST SEVERAL HOURS WITH A PEAK OF
84 MPH...141 KM/HR...AT NOON.

LATEST MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE REPROTED BY AN AIR FORCE PLANE WAS
961 MB...28.38 INCHES.

STORM SURGE FLOODING OF 6 TO 14 FEET ABOVE NORMAL TIDE LEVELS...
ALONG WITH LARGE AND DANGEROUS BATTERING WAVES...CAN BE EXPECTED
NEAR THE EYE OF FRANCES ON THE WEST SIDE OF ELEUTHERA ISLAND...AND
ON THE NORTH SIDE OF GRAND BAHAMA ISLAND. STORM SURGE FLOODING OF
4 TO 6 FEET ABOVE NORMAL TIDE LEVELS CAN BE EXPECTED ON THE WEST
SIDE OF THE OTHER ISLANDS OF THE BAHAMAS. COASTAL STORM SURGE
FLOODING OF 5 TO 10 FEET ABOVE NORMAL TIDE LEVELS...ALONG WITH
LARGE AND DANGEROUS BATTERING WAVES...CAN BE EXPECTED NEAR AND TO
THE NORTH OF WHERE THE CENTER MAKES LANDFALL IN FLORIDA.

RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF 7 TO 12 INCHES...LOCALLY AS HIGH AS 20 INCHES...
ARE POSSIBLE IN ASSOCIATION WITH FRANCES.

SWELLS GENERATED BY FRANCES WILL BE AFFECTING PORTIONS OF THE
SOUTHEASTERN COAST OF THE UNITED STATES. THESE SWELLS COULD CAUSE
DANGEROUS SURF AND RIP CURRENTS.

REPEATING THE 2 PM EDT POSITION...25.7 N... 77.2 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 9 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...115
MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...961 MB.

FOR STORM INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO YOUR AREA...PLEASE MONITOR
PRODUCTS ISSUED BY YOUR LOCAL WEATHER OFFICE.

THE NEXT ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER AT
5 PM EDT.

Ed
09-03-2004, 06:01 PM
Local TV news is reporting that Disney has decided that all 4 parks will be CLOSED on Saturday, 9/4.

Ft. Wilderness has been evacuated; many campers apparently left town completely, while others have been moved to rooms in the resorts, most of them at Port Orleans.
________
Honda PC800 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_PC800)

imported_JohnY
09-03-2004, 06:22 PM
From Disney...

Based on updated information from the National Weather Service and consultation with emergency preparedness officials, Walt Disney World theme parks and water parks will be closed Saturday, Sept. 4, 2004. Additional schedule announcements will be made as updated information becomes available. Guests who have questions should call (407) WDW-INFO or (407) 939-463

WDWFanatic
09-03-2004, 07:33 PM
Since John Y has posted I'm hoping that means he made it home safely.

Prayers and pixie dust going out to Florida.

Patti
09-03-2004, 07:39 PM
FYI -- According to Spirit Airline's website, Orlando International Airport (MCO) will be closed until 12 p.m. on Monday, September 6. Most flights into and out of Orlando with a scheduled departure/arrival time before 12 p.m. on Monday are canceled.

jsme
09-03-2004, 07:46 PM
We live in NC. My DH is an insurance adjuster. He missed working CAT duty in Florida (when Charley hit) due to another adjusters tragical death in the family. He is now on stand by along with 180 other adjuster from NC alone. This will tell you his company knows this storm is massive and very deadly. All of those adjusters will be gone 6-12 weeks. :eek:
Our prayers and support go out to everyone who lives in Florida. graemlins/shakehead.gif
For all of you who has vacation plans in FL do not go. I am sure Walt himself (if he was still living) would tell you your life is not worth the risk.

wvgoofyfan
09-03-2004, 08:01 PM
Yahoo!

According to another intermediate update advisory from the Hurricane Service, Frances has been downgraded to a 2!

Now if she would just lift up her skirts and get a move on! According to the forecasters, she is moving so slowly that 24 hours of rain means that Florida could be measuring the rain in feet instead of inches.....yikes :eek:

Sending pixie dust and prayers to all who are in her path at this time....

wonders10
09-03-2004, 08:23 PM
Thought I'd post another reminder of how serious this storm is (although it is most definitely good news that Frances is a Cat. 2):

Local police were going around to mobile homes, etc. telling them they need to evacuate - if the residents refused, the residents were told to wear a hospital bracelet and write their name, next of kin, and a contact number.

The worst part for me is cabin fever. It looks like I'll only be feeling Tropical Storm force winds, but I have been stuck in the house for 2 days, with more to come once the storm actually gets here!!! I'm going nuts!!!

*Shannon

Zebra
09-03-2004, 08:48 PM
Well, we aren't out of the woods yet. Frances still has quite a bit of warm water to go through (or sit in) which is what feeds storms like this. It was reported earlier that the storm was tightening up which now means the hurricane force winds extend out 85 miles out from the eye. We won't be out of the woods until the entire storm is gone...and Ivan goes elsewhere!

Nana
09-03-2004, 08:54 PM
The concern still is that it is normal for a hurricane to go down a category or two when it goes across land (in this case the Bahamas) but it can go back up when it goes back out to sea. Please everyone stay safe.

Digger
09-03-2004, 09:09 PM
at least people are taking this seriously. the drive from Orlando to Tampa on I-4 yesterday was 5 1/2 hours. we normally make it in 45 minutes. there is one rest stop each way, cars were pulled over everywhere so people could 'find' a bathroom on the side of the road due to the backlog.

minniemouse23
09-03-2004, 09:40 PM
I am so glad this storm seems to be weakening! We know we will be getting the outskirts of this storm in the form of rain. It still shows it going across Florida and into the Gulf of Mexico to the Pan Handle around Pensacola. But as large as it is it will affect alot of us on the Gulf Coast! My brother is a police officer in Gulf Shores, AL and they are taking precautionary measures also. Anytime there is a storm, people living on the beach will see an increase of waves & storm surge. So this WILL affect alot of people. We are truly praying for those that have already had tremendous loss of property & lives. And I know this is going to put everyone back to step 1 in the clean-up!!! Thanks Intercot! I have read more about this area being affected on this site, than I have on The Weather Channel. graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Calamity Jane
09-03-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Crow:
Jeremy take care of all the actors in GMR..
Since he left before I did I guess I get to take responsibility this time. He got out early enough to go enjoy the lighter crowds in the parks...lucky.

Things today were weird. Got to wait in my first "gas panic line". What a blast that was. And it was weird closing up the park when it was still day light out.

Still not overtly worried. :rolleyes: I'm starting to wonder about my sanity.

brad192
09-03-2004, 10:55 PM
Please Please Please!!! To all the CM's and all the residents of Florida who are in the path of this storm, get to a safe place & hold on!!

Angela, Jeremy, Jim & Lisa, and any other CM's
who I've never met but am VERY worried about, I worried about you during Charley, and I continue to worry (and pray) for all of you during this crisis. Hang on tight, and let all of us know you'r OK!!

Prayers & MEGA Pixie Dust...
Brad

Crow
09-04-2004, 12:09 AM
im sure you did a good job of getting them ready on GMR Calamity!
all stay safe. talked to ex employee who lives in Kissimee today. she is staying out of her apt building. said the school she teaches at was closed today and they had to move things from the trailer classroom they use.
time to check things again and see if im still flying down there monday am.
be safe out there

beegirl
09-04-2004, 01:27 AM
They finally made the "official" decision to close on Saturday at like 7 this evening. It was weird because the news had been reporting Disney's closure a bit earlier than that. We still don't know what's going on for Sunday. Monday, however, everyone (at the MK at least) is being called in to work. I spent most of my shift today gathering phone numbers.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe tomorrow will be the first time Walt Disney World has ever been completely closed for an entire day. When Floyd didn't show up they opened DAK for resort guests. Obviously on September 11th the parks opened as normal. And for Charley we opened the parks for the morning. It's really very strange.

Everybody stay safe!

[ September 04, 2004, 01:34 AM: Message edited by: beegirl ]

J9
09-04-2004, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by beegirl:
They finally made the "official" decision to close on Saturday at like 7 this evening. It was weird because the news had been reporting Disney's closure a bit earlier than that. We still don't know what's going on for Sunday. Monday, however, everyone (at the MK at least) is being called in to work. I spent most of my shift today gathering phone numbers.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe tomorrow will be the first time Walt Disney World has ever been completely closed for an entire day. When Floyd didn't show up they opened DAK for resort guests. Obviously on September 11th the parks opened as normal. And for Charley we opened the parks for the morning. It's really very strange.

Everybody stay safe! Yeah, same thing at the Studios. They're calling everyone into work an hour before their shift is scheduled, which means that my shift would start at 8 am. My flight doesn't get into Orlando until 5 pm though so I have to call out sick for the third time in a row. (I'm just glad that 3 consecutive calls only equals one point!)

Ed
09-04-2004, 06:41 AM
My DW is a CM in an administrative function; she went in to work around 5pm Friday and has been told that she will be needed until the storm is clear of the area. At the present rate, that will likely be some time Monday night. :(

Latest projections (5 am Saturday) show the majority of the storm passing farther south from Orlando than originally thought. We'll still get LOTS of rain and significant wind, but probably not as bad as with Charley.
________
vaporizer (http://vaporizers.net/)

Crow
09-04-2004, 09:10 AM
just stay safe all.
my flight Mon was cancelled as it was supposed to arrive around 9am so everyone check before they go to airport.
i havent decided whether i should try for later flight, next day, or next day and extend a day..depends on availability & price,
i wonder how much they have ahead at WDW, foodwise, gas wise etc.\
got a flight for Tues same time. unfortunately i have to bother Karen at MJ to drop a night off my stay.

[ September 04, 2004, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: Crow ]

GoofysCowgirl
09-04-2004, 11:05 AM
Please stay safe everyone!

ccp1
09-04-2004, 12:03 PM
Pixie Dust and Prayers to all CMs, Guests, and Residents of Florida! Stay safe!

StaceyJonahJoel
09-04-2004, 01:02 PM
Has anyone heard anything about Tropical Storm Ivan?

SallyP
09-04-2004, 01:09 PM
Ivan Discussion (http://www.intercot.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/8/5321.html)

SallyP
09-04-2004, 01:16 PM
Based on Frances's current path forecasts it looks like Orlando will get 75 mph winds and rain tomorrow during the day. I'd be very surprised if WDW opens any of its parks. 2 days in a row - unprecedented, right?

[BS]Mickey
09-04-2004, 01:36 PM
The first squall line came through just a bit ago. Already reporting some sporadic power outages. Currently about 20mph sustained winds around WDW. The main rain/wind band appears to be about 2-3 hours away. Then it's nonstop for about 24 hours.

HERE WE GO!!!!!!!! graemlins/silly.gif

goofygirl67
09-04-2004, 01:59 PM
I left WDW at 8:30am this morning.
I was staying at AKL and when I looked out this morning (about 7:30am) it was blue sky's. The local news showed that it had not much come ashore yet. I decided to make a break for it to Jacksonville.
I-4 was very empty. The only problems I had was a little wind around Daytona and one little downpour around St. Augustine.
I made it home by 11am.
One reason I left was we were informed last night that we would have to stay in our rooms for about 30hrs. I went alone and I think I would have gone nuts staying in one room all by myself.
When the hurricane showed it was going to hit this weekend I put 2 extra nights on, even got the same rate. I was ready to stay for the duration, but when I saw I could leave I took advantage of it.
I hope everyone makes it through all this allright.

stitch626
09-04-2004, 02:02 PM
Things are starting to get a bit windy here. But I know the worst is yet to come. Power flickers once in a while. Having trouble getting on line. It took me 3 tries this time. Probably my last post for a long while. We were without power for 6 days last time. Sure it will be just as long or longer this time.

Watching the local news (wftv) and it seems as though the storm has slowed down even more. I think the waiting may be the worst part. Too many possibilities for her at this point.

Keep us all in your thoughts and prayers. And to all my other fellow Florida residents- see you on the other side.

[BS]Mickey
09-04-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by goofygirl67:
One reason I left was we were informed last night that we would have to stay in our rooms for about 30hrs. I went alone and I think I would have gone nuts staying in one room all by myself.
LOL!! Yeah, but what a place to be stuck.

goofygirl67
09-04-2004, 02:27 PM
I know it's a great place to get stuck and originally when it was supposed to cruise through I was looking forward to it. It was the possible 30hrs and maybe abandoning my animals at home till tues (my parents are supposed to go on vacation on Monday) that did it.

Googlie Bear
09-04-2004, 02:35 PM
Back when I was a CM, I heard that the top turret of Cindy's castle was actually designed to be removable with a crane in the event of a catastrophic hurricane. At the time (in 2000) it had never been done. I was just wondering if anyone knows if they took it down for Francis. And what other major preparations are going on in the parks?

Calamity Jane
09-04-2004, 02:59 PM
Still waiting...it's getting windy and rainy here but nothing too terrible yet.

Heard we won't be opening again tomorrow...but I figured since now it seems the storm won't be here until tomorrow.

CtrlAltDel
09-04-2004, 03:01 PM
heh

looks like we picked a good year to switch our september vacation to may

I hope everyone down there comes out ok and can still enjoy themselvs despite this terrible weather

J9
09-04-2004, 03:12 PM
Based on Frances's current path forecasts it looks like Orlando will get 75 mph winds and rain tomorrow during the day. I'd be very surprised if WDW opens any of its parks. 2 days in a row - unprecedented, right? I just called the Disney MGM Studios Cast Hurricane Hotline, and the message there said that yes, the Studios as well as the other parks will be closed through Sunday. The message did say, however, that they were planning on opening everything back up again on Monday. So hopefully the storm will GO SOMEWHERE so that I can get my flight back into Orlando on Monday afternoon. I hate calling out of my shift on Monday when they'll probably really need me, but I won't be back in time either way.

Zebra
09-04-2004, 03:19 PM
According to the local news station (WESH) the storm has stalled off the coast of Florida. The eye is tightening up, indicating that it is trying to strengthen. It has been pretty gusty all day and it just rained a bit for the second time since noon.

J9
09-04-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Zebra:
According to the local news station (WESH) the storm has stalled off the coast of Florida. The eye is tightening up, indicating that it is trying to strengthen. It has been pretty gusty all day and it just rained a bit for the second time since noon. Yeah, the weather channel is saying right now that they don't know if it stalled because its weakening or if it is strengthening over the the ocean. My guess would be is that its starting to recoup a bit. I will remain glued to my tv.

Main Street Jim
09-04-2004, 03:27 PM
GooglieBear wrote:

Back when I was a CM, I heard that the top turret of Cindy's castle was actually designed to be removable with a crane in the event of a catastrophic hurricane. At the time (in 2000) it had never been done. I was just wondering if anyone knows if they took it down for Francis. And what other major preparations are going on in the parks?This is a MAJOR urban legend. All buildings on WDW property are built to withstand 150mph+ hurricane-force winds, according to the specially-designed Reedy Creek building code, which is different from the Florida state building code. Hurricane Donna came through central Florida in 1960 with 100mph+ winds, so when Walt started working on his "Florida Project", he got special permission from Governor Hayden Burns for his own building code and governing body (Reedy Creek Improvement District). Here's a link to Reedy Creek:
Reedy Creek Building Code Requirements and History (http://www.rcid.org/Dept_Building_Safety.cfm)

The Castle, and no building on property for that matter, has ever been taken apart for any major storms here.

As far as what the parks are doing, I know for Charley, they tied down everything in sight - merchandise carts, popcorn and food carts, awnings, signs, you name it; if it could move, it was tied down. We moved the Main Street vehicles to the tunnels underneath the Train Station. We parked four Monorails nose to tail in the Contemporary Concourse. Folks, we're doing our best to keep everything and everyone safe. The only thing we can't really control damage to, is the landscaping and trees. That's about all that was really damaged with Charley, and a few road signs.

So keep that *pixie dust* coming, we can use it! ;)

[ September 04, 2004, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: Main Street Jim ]

Ed
09-04-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Googlie Bear:
Back when I was a CM, I heard that the top turret of Cindy's castle was actually designed to be removable with a crane in the event of a catastrophic hurricane. At the time (in 2000) it had never been done. I was just wondering if anyone knows if they took it down for Francis. And what other major preparations are going on in the parks? Absolute, 100% "urban legend". The only way it is removable is via a wrecking ball.
________
WR250 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Yamaha_WR250)

Zebra
09-04-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by J9:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by SallyP:
Based on Frances's current path forecasts it looks like Orlando will get 75 mph winds and rain tomorrow during the day. I'd be very surprised if WDW opens any of its parks. 2 days in a row - unprecedented, right? I just called the Disney MGM Studios Cast Hurricane Hotline, and the message there said that yes, the Studios as well as the other parks will be closed through Sunday. The message did say, however, that they were planning on opening everything back up again on Monday. So hopefully the storm will GO SOMEWHERE so that I can get my flight back into Orlando on Monday afternoon. I hate calling out of my shift on Monday when they'll probably really need me, but I won't be back in time either way. </font>[/QUOTE]Don't for get that they are planning on opening the parks early on Monday...everyone's in an hour earlier.

J9
09-04-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Zebra:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by J9:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by SallyP:
Based on Frances's current path forecasts it looks like Orlando will get 75 mph winds and rain tomorrow during the day. I'd be very surprised if WDW opens any of its parks. 2 days in a row - unprecedented, right? I just called the Disney MGM Studios Cast Hurricane Hotline, and the message there said that yes, the Studios as well as the other parks will be closed through Sunday. The message did say, however, that they were planning on opening everything back up again on Monday. So hopefully the storm will GO SOMEWHERE so that I can get my flight back into Orlando on Monday afternoon. I hate calling out of my shift on Monday when they'll probably really need me, but I won't be back in time either way. </font>[/QUOTE]Don't for get that they are planning on opening the parks early on Monday...everyone's in an hour earlier. </font>[/QUOTE]Yeah I know, and I have to be in at 8. And there's no way I can make it because my flight doesn't leave Philly until 3. So I have to call out for my 3rd consecutive work day. Thank goodness that only is one point. I just dont want my managers to be annoyed with me for high tailing it, but I think they'd have to understand. My mom and dad did not want me alone in FL with all the news reports they were getting.

[BS]Mickey
09-04-2004, 04:08 PM
Current winds at Swan & Dolphin are 30-35 with a gust of 46. Some damage reported near the beaches. We'll see what happens here.

J9
09-04-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Mickey:
[b] Current winds at Swan & Dolphin are 30-35 with a gust of 46. Some damage reported near the beaches. We'll see what happens here. Good ol' WeatherBug!

SallyP
09-04-2004, 04:23 PM
CMs,
Did any glass panels from The Land get knocked out during Charley? I thought I saw that on one of the newscasts. And if so is that just architectural 'decor' , I mean you can't see those glass panels from the inside can you?

[BS]Mickey
09-04-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by J9:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Mickey:
[b] Current winds at Swan & Dolphin are 30-35 with a gust of 46. Some damage reported near the beaches. We'll see what happens here. Good ol' WeatherBug! </font>[/QUOTE]Correct. I trust it alot more than the tv stations. They're just trying to outdo each other at the beach.

We've had two squalls come through, and all the tv staions can do is show radar of the coast. It's good we know what's coming, but I want to know what is already here.

izy
09-04-2004, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by TiggTigg5:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Googlie Bear:
Back when I was a CM, I heard that the top turret of Cindy's castle was actually designed to be removable with a crane in the event of a catastrophic hurricane. At the time (in 2000) it had never been done. I was just wondering if anyone knows if they took it down for Francis. And what other major preparations are going on in the parks? Absolute, 100% "urban legend". The only way it is removable is via a wrecking ball. </font>[/QUOTE]And to that would require a crane with a 300' boom. Just getting that crane into MK would take everything with it in its path, no matter which way it went in graemlins/shakehead.gif
How these old wives tales keep manifesting themselves is unbelievable graemlins/doubleeek.gif

imported_PolyGirl40
09-04-2004, 05:18 PM
All Disney Parks will be closed again tomorrow, September 5.

Googlie Bear
09-04-2004, 05:56 PM
Alright, give me a break, guys. This just seems like the most opportune time to resurfuce hurricane-related rumors. ;)

I think its so sad that they probably just spent a trememdous amount of $ and man-hours to clean up and replace so much landscaping, and its all getting torn up again.

All in all, I'm not too worried about WDW- they are likely the most prepared of any place in FL. Its all those CMs and other Floridians I worry about- this must be just devestating. Pixie dust to you all.

mickeymousemom
09-04-2004, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Main Street Jim:
So keep that *pixie dust* coming, we can use it! ;) Another load headed your way~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*-----&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;
Stay safe everyone graemlins/mickey.gif

WEDTOPIA
09-04-2004, 07:40 PM
All buildings on WDW property are built to withstand 150mph+ hurricane-force winds, according to the specially-designed Reedy Creek building code, which is different from the Florida state building code. ;) [/QB][/QUOTE]
-------------------------------------------------
I think this is one of the most interesting aspects of the history of WDW. The Disney Co. was able to get autonomous control over their property . Ordinarily this would be a bad thing if major corporations got that much independence , but it worked out for Disney. Instead of skirting codes and building things cheaply, they actually upgraded over existing government codes . Those safety upgrades are paying off now that all these terrible storms are cutting through central Florida.
Everyone please stay safe over in central and eastern Florida . We're thinking of you over here on the west coast .

JoDisney
09-04-2004, 07:58 PM
Goofy Girl, If you had to stay in your room for 30+_hrs., how to do you get meals? Can you go to the food court or not? Could you tell us how the resorts handle this? I think it would be interesting for all the people here to know how all that works.

God bless the CMs that are there at WDW and helping. They are truly dedicated and we thank them.

goofygirl67
09-04-2004, 08:43 PM
I have the memo that was shoved under my door last night.
One thing it mentioned is that mousekeeping would not be available and that we should make sure we have enough toiletries to last.
They recommend a visit to the merchandise or quick service dining location to obtain non-perishable food.
The hours for the dining locations were:
Boma: breakfast 7-11am brunch/lunch 11am until weather requires closing. cost $14.99 adults $7.99 kids
Mara: open from 6am till weather does not permit outside access
Jiko: open for lunch buffet from 12 noon till weather requires closing $11.99 adults $5.99 kids
Box meals with beverage distribution: open from 11am till weather requires closing cost $5.00 for (sandwich, chips, beverage, fruit, and dessert)
Zawadi Market Place open from 6am till weather requires closing.
All the other places like the lounges were going to open but close when it go too bad.
In room dining and the pool bar were going to be closed Sat and Sun.
They had advisories also:
stay on far side of room away from windows
keep connecting doors open unless privacy needed
do not double lock doors in case of emergency
leave room blinds closed and all patio furniture in the room
if resort looses power, stay in room
They offered movies to watch
Finding Nemo
Monsters Inc.
Brother Bear
When I was checking out another guest was given a list of events that were going to take place to entertain them till it got bad.
Now this list did not consider that the hurricane would stall and take longer to get across the state. I'm sure it has been updated since I was given this last night.

SallyP
09-04-2004, 08:49 PM
Thanks Brenda for the inside scoop. We just keep getting wind squalls (35-45 mph) with rain down here, Sarasota County. How about JAX?

goofygirl67
09-04-2004, 09:14 PM
Not getting too much yet, just a couple of showers every now and then. The wind has picked up a little, not bad.
They expect the St. Johns river to rise about 2ft. The beaches are showing more waves and is more windy than normal.
We are not expected to get it bad, mostly rain and maybe low tropical storm winds. Our main problem will be the rain, all of our retaining ponds are filled and if we get too much rain they will end up overflowing.
It's been 40 years since Jax has been hit and so far we are heading for 41, lets hope we can make it, it's been getting busy out there lately.

JoDisney
09-04-2004, 09:24 PM
Brenda, Thanks for the post. We live in Gainesville. We, too, will get the lasting rain because of the stalled front.

Digger
09-04-2004, 10:56 PM
I was just hitting golf balls in the backyard into what I'd 'a 3-club wind' in golfer-ese. so it must be about 30-35 mph around our little part of the Tampa area. we wait.....have a graemlins/beer.gif wait some more...

Dreamin' of Disney
09-04-2004, 11:14 PM
Thanks for reporting, Digger. Still hoping and praying for everyone's safety...

Crow
09-05-2004, 12:31 AM
all you CM's buckle up and stay safe.
i changed my flight to Tues am and Karen at MJ changed my res. so im expecting to see everyone there safe and sound..
and i have a friend in Kissimee and Ft Walton beach/Pensacola so will be hoping the best for them too.
see you all Tuesday...

disneyboy98
09-05-2004, 01:17 AM
Just listening to a 90.7 WMFE fm radio station, not sure where it's out of, on the internet.

To all the CM's and residents of Florida on the board (and not), thoughts and prayers go out to you all. Be safe!!!!

MrRivers
09-05-2004, 02:23 AM
Disneyboy98 --- Thanks for the information about the streaming audio.

Womble
09-05-2004, 05:27 AM
To all our friends in Florida, please stay safe.
My thoughts are with you during this time.

WDBO540-Orlando. is on 24 hr hurricane watch and is available on the WWW.

Kevin AKA Womble

izy
09-05-2004, 05:37 AM
For accurate weather info on central/coastal Florida and Hurricane Frances, goto&gt;
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mlb/currentweather.html
graemlins/thumbsup.gif

click on the doppler radar image in the map, then click 'loop' on the left side menu

[ September 05, 2004, 06:28 AM: Message edited by: izy ]

imported_JohnY
09-05-2004, 07:38 AM
Here's a link to the current radar loop:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/radar/loop/DS.p20-r/si.kmlb.shtml

very impressive...

SallyP
09-05-2004, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the radar sites guys. Looks like Orlando, Kissimmee and LBV are going to be on the northeast side of the storm. Not good.
If anyone gets reports of CMs needing help would Intercot Staff please start a discussion giving possible ways we can be of assistance?

JoDisney
09-05-2004, 08:20 AM
Brenda and all, As I said we live in Gainesville and our power went out this morning as the wind and rain picked up. There is more coming. We were without power for an hour. It just came back on. Already we have a giant mess in our front and back yard. This is just the beginning for us. Anyone hear how the Disney Parks are holding up?

Nana
09-05-2004, 08:42 AM
U.S. National - AP

4 Million Without Power As Frances Strikes

STUART, Fla. - Hurricane Frances pounded Florida relentlessly with high wind and heavy rain Sunday after it smashed across the state's east coast, knocking out power to 4 million people and forcing residents to withstand a prolonged lashing that shredded roofs and uprooted trees

Meryl70
09-05-2004, 09:35 AM
Tune into the weather channel. They have someone on location near downtown Orlando giving reports. Anyone there who can give us a Sunday morning update on the area around the parks?

Fruitcake
09-05-2004, 09:45 AM
Just checking in from Northwest Broward County. Things have seemed to calmed down, but the shutters are still up and last night we received minimum hurricane force wind gusts, as well as sustained tropical storm force winds. A tree is down across the street as well as many more in our development. I believe the worst has gone through, although we are still expecting some more nasty weather as Frances passes through the state.

Unfortunately, my grandparents as well as a couple of my aunts and uncles, live in Port St. Lucie in manufactured (mobile) homes, and I don't believe that they will have a home to return to. They all evacuated the area, thank goodness, but I am very concerned about their homes. My grandparents live in Savannah Club in Port St. Lucie, so if anyone has any info about what is going on in regards to damage, please let me know. Thanks for the pixie dust and prayers. It looks as if we will need it for quite awhile.

14 days till our 10th anniversary trip to WDW! graemlins/mickey.gif

[ September 05, 2004, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: Fruitcake ]

Ed
09-05-2004, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Meryl70:
Tune into the weather channel. They have someone on location near downtown Orlando giving reports. Anyone there who can give us a Sunday morning update on the area around the parks? Talked to my DW a little while ago; she's a CM who's on the hurricane "ride-out" team (she's been there since Friday! :eek: ) - - - she reports intermittent very heavy bands of rain, heavy winds, but no immediate reports of major damage on property.
________
NH80 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_NH80)

Calamity Jane
09-05-2004, 10:02 AM
I live pretty close to property and we haven't had anything majorly bad. Lots of wind and rain but no big damage as I can see. We've got lots of branches and junk in our yard but it doesn't look like anyone's roof has blown off yet. And we seem to be in a good area for power...we only lost it for a little bit during Charley and haven't lost it thus far in Frances. They keep flickering every so often but no complete outage.

It's so weird not working at all this weekend...

WDWdriver
09-05-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Meryl70:
Tune into the weather channel. They have someone on location near downtown Orlando giving reports. Anyone there who can give us a Sunday morning update on the area around the parks? I live a few minutes southwest of WDW. We are experiencing strong gusty winds (40 - 60 mph) and occasional heavy rain. This will continue most of the day. So far there has been nothing that would likely cause structural damage at Disney. AK will be hardest hit with trees down and a lot of debris.

[ September 05, 2004, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: WDWdriver ]

goofygirl67
09-05-2004, 10:25 AM
JoDisney, we are getting alot more winds now. We even lost power for about 2hrs. There are some trees down blocking roads.
Right now we are not getting much rain but the winds are what's doing the damage. Our beaches are getting blasted.
Is it me or did the last satalite pictures show Frances moving north?

TiggerRPh
09-05-2004, 10:27 AM
Got off the phone with Dining...so apparently, they're working.

Zebra
09-05-2004, 11:13 AM
I'm here. I managed to get to sleep around 3:30. I guess we lost power for a bit but it's back on. The cable went out for a bit, too but the modem stayed on. Right now we're getting pretty big gusts (I live 20 minutes from WDW in the Ocoee area)and quite a bit of rain. None of the trees in my complex have gone down yet. We still have many hours of this.

[ September 05, 2004, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: Zebra ]

Tink19
09-05-2004, 11:40 AM
The wind is really picking up here in Bradenton. The eye is going to come really close to me :eek: . We had power go out a few times lastnight and once this morning. The wind is mostly what we have right now. Didn't get sleep till about 3 in the morning. I hope it misses me! I'll be back in a little bit. Thanks for all the pixie dust guys. Looks like next weekend we might have another storm to worry about graemlins/shakehead.gif . Don't know how much more I can take of this!

Zebra
09-05-2004, 12:28 PM
It's still just rainy and gusty here. No damage as of yet. They're telling us we should be feeling the worst of it in about a half hour or so.

[BS]Mickey
09-05-2004, 01:07 PM
Currently WDW is about 40-50miles north of what was left of the eye. Winds are about 35-55mph with occasional gusts above 60. Some damage, but nothing really major. The power here hasn't gone out longer than a few seconds. Our water is out, though. It went out after Charley too, so we had a boil water notice for 5 days.

So far so good..... graemlins/silly.gif