PDA

View Full Version : So, you think you're ready to be an Imagineer for real?

Mufasa
02-11-2003, 11:58 PM
I thought I'd start up a thread where we could discuss Imagineering in depth- perhaps, answer some questions about how one actually goes about getting into the theme park attraction design field and general questions about Imagineering- the process, the people involved, etc.

So here's where you can ask about Internships, what types of things go on at Imagineering- but I will NOT answer any questions about upcoming attractions (questions like "so when will Mission: Space be opening?" or along those lines). I'll leave those discussions/speculation over for the News & Imagineering forum.

Mufasa
02-12-2003, 12:17 AM
So I wanted to start off and maybe talk about Imagineering (and then I'll get into applying for Imagineering and what they're looking for). But first, who or what is Imagineering?

Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) is the master planning, creative development, design, engineering, production, project management and research and development arm of The Walt Disney Company. WDI's talented corps of Imagineers is responsible for the creation -- from concept initiation through installation -- of all Disney resorts, theme parks and attractions, real estate developments, regional entertainment venues and new media projects.

Imagineering started out as WED enterprises in 1952 with the development of Disneyland. It wasn't until 1986 when we were recognized officially as Walt Disney Imagineering.

And I should point out that Imagineers come from all sorts of backgrounds (we're all not just engineers)- and the work is not just limited to the theme parks. Imagineers have done projects such as ABC Television's Times Square studios to the "Encounter" restaurant at LAX airport to even things like ABC's Enhanced TV (if you've played along with Monday Night Football or the Oscars broadcast- that was an Imagineering project).

But of course, Imagineering is best known for it's work with the theme parks. Now, Imagineering has it's headquarters out in Glendale, California (just minutes from the studios in Burbank). We also have a field office in Celebration FL and very small field offices at each of the theme parks. By far, most Imagineers are based out of Glendale- I'd say probably 3/4 of the group (with Celebration probably being the next largest group).

Mufasa
02-12-2003, 12:32 AM
I wanted to break this up so you're not scrolling through too much info... here's where we get to applying to Imagineering (and also internships).

First question: what are my chances? Well, I don't want to discourage anyone, but to be quite honest it's really hard to tell. Imagineering easily receives several hundred resumes a week and your resume is kept on file indefinitely (you may never know when a position may open up that requires your exact skill set). So if at first, you don't succeed, keep trying.

Now what are they looking for? It really depends on the position. For example, for some of the R&D positions- they generally are looking at 8 to 10 years of professional engineering experience in a creative role and often times preference is given to Advanced Degrees. Each position will have it's own set of similar requirements as far as education.

Now it's not to say that it's an absolute requirement to have a college degree, but let's face it- it's just like any other company out there. You've gotta have the basic knowledge one way or another.

And as far as what do you study? There is no magic formula for a good Imagineer. Tony Baxter (VP of creative services at Imagineering) has said that you "need to become very good at one thing" and he's right because there are so many aspects that go into Imagineering that you really should have passion for what you do. But you also should be a bit of a generalist- someone who is flexible enough and confident that you can handle a lot of tasks well.

So don't worry too much about what to study- study what you love. And strive to be the best at it. There probably is some fit for you within Imagineering.

But of course, the key is landing an interview. So here's the nuts and bolts- If you are going to submit your resume, make sure that you identify which areas you're interested in working in your cover letter. And if you have examples of your work, by all means please send in examples (but be sure to clearly identify what work you directly had a part in). Video submissions should be no longer than five minutes.

When you're ready, you send your resume off to:

Walt Disney Imagineering
1401 Flower Street
P.O. Box 25020
Glendale, CA 91221-0520

As for Internships, they are offered year round and generally are one or two semesters/quarters in length and are geared towards currently registered junior/senior undergraduate or graduate level students (not recent grads). They are paid internships and are offered at both Glendale and Celebration and there are positions for all sorts of majors (but selection is highly competitive). You can find more information on Disney's career website or I'll see if I can get an exact address/fax number where you can request more information from HR.

devo995493
02-12-2003, 12:46 AM
Mufasa,

First off, I just wanted to say thank you for taking the time out to answer questions on Imagineering, I know there have been hunders asked since I joined the boards 2 years ago.

Secondly, does WDI handle all the design and development for the hotels? Theming, layout, etc?
Or does Disney contract with outside architectural firms?

Thanks.

Mufasa
02-12-2003, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by devo995493:
Mufasa,

First off, I just wanted to say thank you for taking the time out to answer questions on Imagineering, I know there have been hunders asked since I joined the boards 2 years ago.

Secondly, does WDI handle all the design and development for the hotels? Theming, layout, etc?
Or does Disney contract with outside architectural firms?

Thanks. No problem... I'll try to answer whatever questions I can and if I don't know an answer immediately I'll try and research it and find an answer.

Now, as far as the design/development for the resort hotels specifically- WDI usually plays a role as far as defining the theme and works in conjunction with the various firms, but each firm is given quite a bit of latitude on the project. It's actually a very successful synergy of ideas that really goes back to some of the work done with Welton Beckett & Associates with the Contemporary and Polynesian resorts (incidentally Welton Beckett was a close friend of Walt's and his neighbor in Holmby Hills).

For other projects (non hotel related) WDI has served as the primary architect/designer and work largely was in-house (an example of these projects would be the ones that were done by the Concept Development Studio that was within WDI)- like the Times Square Studios or Encounter at LAX.

And of course the Theme Park design work (anything from the Castles to the exterior of Indiana Jones)- is handled in-house.

A lot of the success with all projects really has been under the direction of Wing Chao (exective VP of Master Planning, Architecture and Design). Let's look at an example project like the Animal Kingdom Lodge to see how WDI would fit together with outside firms.

The lead architects on the project was the Urban Design Group of Denver (led by Peter Dominick)- they also worked on the Wilderness Lodge. In turn, Urban Design brought in Avery Brooks and Associates of Las Vegas to handle interior design (everything from the lobby to the guest rooms), while Jeffrey Beers International of New York handled the restaurant/lounge designs (including Jiko). WDI's role wasn't limited as the client though- they really set the requirements and worked with the design teams bringing their own researchers and designers to work on the projects, but largely each firm brought on has a great deal of flexibility with these projects. (Disney wants to encourage fresh ideas in architecture but at the same time, there have to be some controls because it has to maintain that Disney look/feel).

I hope that gives some insight- as far as which projects have been done with which architectural firms, here's a short list (largely from memory so please bear with me):

Robert A.M. Stern (coincidentally on Disney's board of directors)- his firm was commisioned to work on Disney's Yacht and Beach Club resorts, the Boardwalk and Casting Center for WDW. (other projects for Disney include master planning for Celebration, FL as well as the Disney Ambassador Hotel at the Tokyo Resort).

Michael Graves & Associates- they did the Swan and Dolphin hotels (which was largely done under the direction of one of his chief associates- Patrick Burke) The firm recently came back and updated the interior design of the Swan hotel (they handled both the architecture and interior design down to the furnishings/carpet, etc in each room). A somewhat unique project. Other Disney projects include the post office in Celebration, FL as well as the New York Hotel in Paris.

The Grand Floridian was done by the firm of Wimberly, Allison, Tong and Goo (but largely under the direction of WDI). This project is interesting because it was built on a site that was originally earmarked for the Asian resort that was part of 5 that were originally planned to be built if attendance demanded it (and actually was meant to be built according to one of the annual reports from 1972-73 if I remember right).

Fugelberg, Koch and Associates did the design for the Caribbean Beach Resort, Dixie Landings/Port Orleans, and the Old Key West Resort.

The All Star resorts were largely designed by Arquitectonica of Miami (under the direction of WDI).

Downtown Disney's West Side was master planned by David Rockwell and Associates of New York City, though a number of individual shops/attractions were designed by individual firms.

devo995493
02-12-2003, 02:06 PM
Thank you for the insight. I guess I had always assumed that all things Disney were more or less designed by Disney employees.

Horizon93
02-12-2003, 10:32 PM
mufasa,

Thanks so much for the info. truly educational. How did you get into imagineering? How long have you been with Disney? Did you always want to do this?

Thanks again.

Horizon93
02-13-2003, 08:02 AM
It sounds like you are living a dream. Thanks for sharing. Keep Walt's vision alive!

MrIMAX
02-14-2003, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the information Mufasa. Hopefully, I will be able to work with you in a few years.

Does my experience in projection (especially at IMAX), in a way, slightly help on my resume/application?

Also, should I start working at WDW as a Maintenance person before I apply?

Did my arguing with you over "how projection works" in the Philarmagic forum a month ago ruin my chances? ;)

mickeefan
02-14-2003, 07:10 PM
Don't know if you have any suggestions here or not, but here goes.
One of our friends grandaughter is a Junior in high school and has an outstanding talent as an artist. she is so good she has her own portfolio already. She would like to make disney her career, but doesn't know where to start.

Jordan0301
02-14-2003, 08:25 PM
I'm sure Mufasa will have a better answer for you, but I can share what bit I know from my experience.

First off, what type of art is she interested in? Does she want to be an animator? Does she enjoy landscape art and life painting? What does she love and what does she do best?

Her obvious next step is college, and that will be an important decision. Now, again Im sure Mufasa will have more suggestions, but the best school for artists wanting to pursue a career with Disney I know of is California Institue for the Arts, Burkley. Disney draws a huge portion of their talent from this school.

When I was pursuing the idea of a career in animation, this was the school that I was given backing for by some various animators.

Jordan

Mufasa
02-15-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by MrIMAX:
Thanks for the information Mufasa. Hopefully, I will be able to work with you in a few years.

Does my experience in projection (especially at IMAX), in a way, slightly help on my resume/application?

Also, should I start working at WDW as a Maintenance person before I apply?

Did my arguing with you over "how projection works" in the Philarmagic forum a month ago ruin my chances? ;) I think whatever unique skills/experiences you can bring definitely can only help your chances at landing a career with WDI. You'll never know when that one odd job or course you once took will be useful.

Any sort of position within the parks can definitely help your chances- it's good to get familiar with at least the operations within the theme parks but it's also not a requirement. You should be familiar with a bit about Disney, the history and the characters but you don't have to be a a super trivia buff either.

And I wouldn't say we were arguing how projection works over in the Phiharmagic forum- just providing different facets of information (besides, unfortunately I'm not in HR so ultimately I wouldn't have a lot of influence in the hiring process unless you were to join a project team I was a part of I suppose).

Mufasa
02-15-2003, 02:46 PM
Jordan gave a good summary of basically what Disney tells most aspiring artists that are seeking a career with the company, at least as an animator.

My own take on things is that you first need to get a solid foundation. Animators specifically still need to understand the basic fundamentals and their coursework should not only include animation but possibly other avenues of art (life drawing, sculpting possibly, etc). The more you're exposed to it can only go to help you in your career.

I've been asked a lot of times about computer animation and what's required- along the lines of which programs (software) should I focus on, etc- and really I always say make sure you're grounded in the basics. It really doesn't matter what software package you know, more that you know the concepts really well (besides, the studios often use proprietary, in-house developed packages you can't learn anywhere). Sure, there are tools like Maya that are used heavily but that just happens to be what's popular at the moment (a few years ago it may have been Softimage). Spend more time focusing on traditional animation techniques and enhancing your artistic eye in general.

Also, just because you can "draw" the Disney characters as well as you may think you can, won't enhance your chances of landing a job with Animation. (besides, there's a prescribed method of how to learn to "correctly" draw each character that you may wind up "un-learning" a lot of techniques which can be often be frustrating for new animators). Focus more of your efforts on learning character development techniques and maybe specialize in an area of experimental animation (expand that skill-set) and you'll have an advantage.

As Jordan mentioned CalArts is a popular school for both Imagineering and Animation applicants but I'm not going to say that it's necessarily better or offers more chances than any other school. There just are certain schools and programs which offer a program which matches the criteria I outlined above If you're at a smaller school or one that isn't near the animation studios for instance, it's going to be a bit tougher to get a recruiting visit (you'll have to be more aggressive on your end if you really want a career with Disney).

Other schools with similar programs might be Ringling School of Design, The School of the Art Institute in Chicago, NYU, Vancouver Film School and USC amongst others.

MrIMAX
02-15-2003, 03:36 PM
graemlins/thumbsup.gif Thanks Mufasa! graemlins/thumbsup.gif Your information is greatly appreciated.

I might have some more questions later on.

ccp1
02-15-2003, 09:49 PM
Mufasa-

This is one of the most informational threads I've ever read. Thanks!

Jordan0301
02-16-2003, 05:32 AM
A good example of what Mufasa was talking about in terms of not learning to draw Disney Characters per say, but find a specialty, would be my friend who is trying to get into Feature Animation.

She right now has built up a portfolio of everything, but has begun really seriously focusing on Animation SFX with water. Like water drops, rain, rivers, etc. etc. Something like that will make you an asset to the company in a specific way as opposed to an "all around" applicant, as many future animators are.

Work with things like lighting in animation, or backgrounds, or facial expressions...something other than just recreating previous Disney art.

At least thats what this uninformed Intercot Member thinks smile.gif

Jordan

MrIMAX
02-16-2003, 10:16 AM
I've got another couple of questions for Mufasa, but it's indirectly related to Imagineering.

If I ever do get hired, chances are that I might be hired at the Glendale location.

I don't want anyone to think that I'm attacking Southern California because I've never been there. But, here are my questions:

Since it's near the Los Angeles area, exactly how safe would living in or near Glendale be? Are there reasonable apartments and housing near the office? Are there any that Disney offers to its Imagineers/employees (for a price, of course)?

I've heard many stories about the quality of life living near LA, and few of them were good. I'd just like to know from an Imagineer's POV.

No matter what the answer may be, I'm still strongly interested in working for WDI, no matter where I may be stationed at.

Paul
02-17-2003, 07:46 PM
Mufasa,

Let me add my thanks too for sharing this info.

My story is that I am an electrical engineer with electric utility experience, but my dream job has always been to work at WDW.

The questions I have are:

1. What is the relationship between Imagineering and the WDW Resort. It seems WDI has a small presence in Florida, but that the resort itself has some staff.

2. What is the mix then as far as artistic types versus engineering types. I'm suprised that the responses you have recieved seem more directed toward design.

Thanks again for the info.

Paul

Mufasa
02-17-2003, 11:04 PM
Hi everyone,

Sorry about the delays in getting back and posting to this thread (i've been stranded in the Washington DC area trying to make my way down to WDW since Sunday morning without much luck... hopefully I'll be able to fly out again tomorrow). So it gives me a chance to check in and provide an update to some of the questions (I'm enjoying the questions- keep them coming).

Where to live around Imagineering HQ in California? well, the LA metropolitan area is so diverse and spread out that it's probably more important to figure out what kind of activities you're into. (besides, the traffic really is as bad as what everyone says so chances are it'll take on average at least an hour to get where you're going, whether you're 2 miles or 20 miles away). There is no such thing as a short commute.

Glendale itself, or at least where the WDI offices are located is very much an industrial area- chances are you'd probably not even realize you were anywhere near WDI (cross over a few railroad tracks) unless you noticed the street number signs on the buildings that feature Sorcerer Mickey in a design a lot like a CM nametag- there's really no other indication that you're anywhere near the WDI campus.

As far as living in Glendale, Burbank or even Pasadena I wouldn't know (I've moved around from areas like Santa Monica, roomed with a friend around North Hollywood/Beverly Hills all the way south as far as Orange County- Costa Mesa/Newport Beach areas). What really drove my decision as far as where to live while out in California was more what sort of projects I was working on, the amount of travel (proximity to the airport), etc rather than being near the office.

Now, about the relationship between WDI and the WDW resort- I'm not exactly sure what you're asking here. WDI is very heavily involved in the design/construction of the attractions and resorts themselves and while we do maintain a field office in Celebration, we also have smaller locations at each of the parks around the world (these may be things like meeting spaces for the on-site installation team, etc). But the majority of the planning and pre-construction work takes place in California (either on the Glendale lot or Chastain facilities and then some production/fabrication might then move over to Tujunga or MAPO facilities depending on what the project is).

Of course, WDW also has the facilities on-site to handle a lot of construction either at Central Shops and there's the Ride & Show Engineering group right there next to Central Shops.

And as for the mix between artistic/engineering types- well, at the heart everyone has some contribution to make on the design side of things. It has to be in your way of thinking. Because of the "Blue Sky" method that WDI is famous for. I'd definitely consider Imagineering a Design studio first and foremost with the distinction of also having the means and talent to then fabricate our designs in-house.

It's not to say that everyone who carries the title "Imagineer" is an attraction designer (in contrast, there are actually very few who can really hold that title). But it's probably the one that people are most interested in when they think of WDI.

Of course there are specialized engineering positions, whether it's ride and show, the folks in scientific systems, or R&D but it's hard for me to come up with a number or breakdown of artistic versus engineering types, cause chances are so many of us wear multiple hats (plenty of our designers are also very skilled/accomplished engineers).

Finally, for those aspiring Imagineers who are currently in school, I did want to take a moment and mention the "Imagi-Nations" design contest created and sponsored by WDI each year. It's a University design competition to promote diversity.

Your task is to design either a ride, attraction, hotel or themed land and are free to either use the Disney characters or come up with your own ideas and present them however you see fit. Finalists in the competition will be flown out to WDI headquarters and meet the Imagineers as well as have their creations judged by a panel of Imagineers. The winners receive scholarships and the opportunity to intern with WDI (and many of the past competition winners have gone on to work full-time with WDI).

The deadline for this year's competition has already passed, but it gives you something to think about for next year.

To enter, you must be a member of one of these associations: American Indian Science and Engineering Society (AISES), Mexican American Engineers and Scientists (MAES), National Organization of Minority Architects (NOMA), National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE), Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE), Society of Women Engineers (SWE) or be a university student majoring in one of the following: fine art, digital arts, theatrical design / production, and creative writing.

If I can get special permission from the board moderators I'd be happy to post a link here, otherwise send me a PM if you're interested in more information about the competition.

[ February 18, 2003, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: Mufasa ]

CarrieAllie
02-21-2003, 09:17 PM
Have you ever been in the WDW College program?

Mufasa
02-22-2003, 12:38 AM
No, I was never in the WDW college program but I have met with some of the folks involved in running the college program along with meeting several of the participants and talking about what I do at WDI. I've also participated in a few talks and recruiting visits by WDI at a number of engineering schools along with doing some high school outreach programs. I definitely enjoy the mentorship aspect (although i'm not too much removed from my undergrad days- I know I look a lot younger than I am).

I enjoy meeting and talking with all CMs that work in the park no matter what position they hold- not just the attractions CMs. (It's usually the Team Disney suits that I tend to stay away from). ;)

There are plenty of WDW college program alumni that I'm sure can answer any questions for you. I don't personally know any Imagineers that moved up from the WDW college program specifically- there have been a number of Imagineers with previous experience in the theme parks while they were in college (everyone from Marty Sklar and Tony Baxter to former Imagineers like Eddie Sotto had all worked in the parks at one point in all sorts of positions- mainly food service actually and not attractions hosts or maintenance).

MrIMAX
02-22-2003, 09:54 AM
I've got another question, Mufasa. Sorry about constantly doing this.

I'm currently studying for a major in Computer Science with a minor in Computer Information Systems (Bachelor of Science). I'll be training in Visual Programming like C++, Basic, Java, etc.

My question is, does the company use visual programming for the attractions? In other words, are the programming codes typed? If so, do they use C++, Basic, or something similar, or does WDI make their own computer programs to write the code (Like their Animatronic DAC system)?

This is a strong question so if you don't feel comfortable answering it because it might br giving too much info on how WDI operates, I'll understand. ;)

Duane
02-22-2003, 12:38 PM
The information on the Imagi-Nations programs intrigues me. This is my question, though: are there more programs of this nature through WDI? I am not a member of any of the above-mentioned organizations but have available access to VICA and possibly another engineering organization on campus.

Great info, Mufasa. This has been one of the most informative threads I have read lately. :)

Duane

Mufasa
02-25-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by MrIMAX:
I've got another question, Mufasa. Sorry about constantly doing this.

I'm currently studying for a major in Computer Science with a minor in Computer Information Systems (Bachelor of Science). I'll be training in Visual Programming like C++, Basic, Java, etc.

My question is, does the company use visual programming for the attractions? In other words, are the programming codes typed? If so, do they use C++, Basic, or something similar, or does WDI make their own computer programs to write the code (Like their Animatronic DAC system)?

This is a strong question so if you don't feel comfortable answering it because it might br giving too much info on how WDI operates, I'll understand. ;) Don't worry about asking questions- I'm happy to try and answer them.

I'd say that similar to how I answered the question about what software packages one should study if they're interested in a career in computer animation- I think it is more important that you have a solid foundation in programming fundamentals (really understanding what your code is doing and how it interacts with the hardware) than learning a particular language.

In other words, focus on areas like understanding good object oriented programming concepts which aren't language specific. Learning how to write effective algorithms and probably knowing a thing or two about scripting languages also (there will be times when you might have to code something in C or some obscure low-level programming assembly code). But sometimes you can knock out something easily if you're proficient in Python or another scripting language- it's knowing when to use the right tool to get the job done.

As far as ride/show controls a lot of our technology is basically adapted from industrial applications. A good example is the technology behind AGV (autonomous guided vehicles) that are in use in attractions like Tower of Terror. (understanding PLCs and any experience with them whether it's Allen Bradley or Mitsubishi PLCs and packages like ControlLogix or RS 500 in the case of AB SLC 500s for example is a great skill-set). I wouldn't necessarily focus or direct your studies in that direction though- just get the solid foundation because you'll be able to learn these things from hands-on experience.

We take a lot of the industrial tools and then adapt them for our needs, which is how we come up with things like a Show Supervisor Unit (SSU) and the show interface units (SIUs). Then the real programming "magic" takes place in trying to integrate all these systems together and coordinate all the timing and effects. On top of that add any necessary safety controls (sometimes monitoring several thousand input/output channels at once) and you can see how complicated it can get.

Animatronic programming can sometimes involve writing code but there are also various software tools which are more like some of the computer graphics/animation toolkits on the market (same goes for some attraction/motion base programming).

If you have the programming skills there will be a use for your talent (some guys do nothing more than focus on DSPs or maybe they have a background in writing various psycho-acoustic software tools).

I have a friend that worked on the Spiderman attraction (for that other park) where he helped to write a computer algorithm to distort the 3D projected computer generated images to properly sync them based on the position of the rider as they moved through the attraction against a curved screen. It's easy to project 3D if you're stationary but add in a motion base and you can see how difficult it can be to get good, clear 3D effects so he came up with the software and algorithms and largely coded it directly in C which was then used during the rendering stage to pre-distort the images just right so they'd look "correct" as you rode past them.

Just learn the basic skills and someday you'll be amazed to think that working on coding assignments like the "tower of hanoi" will someday lead you to programming attractions like tower of terror :D

Mufasa
02-25-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Duane:
The information on the Imagi-Nations programs intrigues me. This is my question, though: are there more programs of this nature through WDI? I am not a member of any of the above-mentioned organizations but have available access to VICA and possibly another engineering organization on campus.

Duane Hi Duane,

Imagi-Nations is the primary design program that Imagineering sponsors. There may be smaller, specific programs that take place at a few schools (that may be sponsored by former alumni- turned Imagineers) but the only program that I know of that is sponsored and run by WDI with the opportunity to land an internship (as well as get a cool tour of our facilities) is Imagi-Nations.

You might want to try contacting WDI college relations and ask them directly about other program offerings. You can e-mail them at: [email protected] or call (818) 544-6537 for more information on the Imagi-Nations competition.

Duane
03-01-2003, 12:05 PM
Mufasa,
Thanks for the info. I have a debate with someone over a name pronunciation and you would be a great help to me for answering this. After reading the original post in the Rumors and Imagineering section, I checked and you said that you know Joe Rohde, who is one of my favorite Imagineers. Please do me a great favor and pronounce his last name. Is it pronounced "road" (long O), "rod" (short O), or some other variation. I don't believe that I have an actual bet riding on the right answer, but it would be nice to have simple bragging rights.

Thanks in advance and I am sure that there are more questions to come... :)

Duane

Mufasa
03-01-2003, 02:32 PM
hmm... interesting question :D (I suppose it is Imagineering related)... hmm... so what is the pronunciation of Rohde?

Why, wouldn't you just be tempted to just call him the Dreamfinder? For those of you who don't know Imagineer Joe Rohde, he was basically the stand-in model for the Dreamfinder character for the original Imagination pavillion and served as the character in Dreamfinder's School of Drama- the chroma-key (think weather reporting) attraction where you stood in front of a screen and followed cues as others could watch the result. He started off as a model designer/scenic painter back around 1980 and was the lead executive designer on Animal Kingdom. He's known for his distinctive handle-bar style moustache (and furthering that example that the only people who could be spotted with facial hair at the parks were the creative types over at WED).

Well, the name usually is Germanic in origin, and typically I've heard it pronounced "Roh-dee", although I suppose in Germany it would be a more rounded 'R' and probably sound more like "Roh-duh" although I've also heard people just cut off the end and usually sounds more like "Road" than anything else. I usually just say "Hi Joe" and ask how Figment is doing. ;)

MrIMAX
03-07-2003, 04:24 PM
Thanks for all your information, Mufasa!

One more question.

This is similar to the Computer question. What role does WDI have with the "motion picture" areas of the attractions in terms of production. Do you have a film/video production team part of WDI (i.e. Filming, Post Production)? I've worked with both linear (film) and non-linear (computer) editing. Does WDI use editing systems like Mac's "Final Cut Pro", or Adobe's "After Effects" or "Photoshop", or do you use outside production companies to do all film/video productions?

Any information would be greatly appreciated! smile.gif

Mufasa
03-16-2003, 04:50 AM
All film/video work from planning and production (everything from pre-show to 3D films) are handled by a division within WDI called Theme Park Productions. Some portions may be contracted or produced by outside 3rd parties- take It's Tough to be a Bug for example with Pixar and Rhythm & Hues collaborating on the film, but the script and a lot of post production was done in-house.

When it comes to the tools that are used- expect that it's just like any other major Hollywood production facility, down to the specialty/niche groups like visual effects, etc. All the standard tools (Avid, Softimage/Maya, Pro Tools) are all standard fare within Imagineering, and not just limited to the folks in Theme Park Productions. Imagineers love to play with toys :D

And there's an active Mac user group within WDI (personally I've only just started to play with Final Cut Pro myself, but I'm usually spending more time messing around with Maya to sometimes put together an animatic to block out a show scene or convey a concept beyond a storyboard if it gets closer to pitching the idea to a larger audience).

Again, regardless of where you fit within WDI chances are you'll find yourself going back to some obscure skill or information that you picked up along the way

Jordan0301
03-17-2003, 12:27 AM
Final Cut is a program I am coming around on...I used to be a Permiere junky, but have had to expand my horizons...I will say that I hate AVID though. That program is horrible IMHO...but to each their own. I've been sticking with Final Cut these past two years, and am definately enjoying it now. Never thought that I would say that about a mac program...

And I am also very fond of Pro Tools...good stuff...what's happening to me!

Jordan

TheRustyScupper
03-17-2003, 04:16 PM
1) I thought I was ready to be an Imagineer.
2) I applied to "professional" employment.
3) I got an interview.
4) I got a job offer as a Manager.
5) Had to turn it down.
6) It would have been too much of a pay cut.

7) There is no bitterness and little disappointment.
8) I was good enough to make the grade.
9) I just needed more bucks than they offered.
10) So many people want Disney, that wages are kept low.
11) Oh well, maybe after I retire I will re-apply.
12) Until then, I will just enjoy our visits.

Mufasa
03-17-2003, 11:01 PM
As with any job, for some there may be a pay cut involved for any number of reasons but I don't think that Imagineering as a whole pays significantly lower wages, especially in the engineering fields, but it all depends on your situation.

For myself, could I be making more elsewhere? Perhaps, but I can't say it's a significant difference (when you also factor in cost of living, benefits, etc)- and I look at the variety of projects I've had the opportunity to work on and the people I'm surrounded with so I'm quite satisfied with where I am.

It's not to say that there isn't high turnover in the industry, and in the past a lot of folks have been lured away from Imagineering to join other groups or change careers. It's easily possible that I could go out as a contractor for a 3-4 month project and make as much with that one project as I make yearly, but right now the projects just aren't out there in the industry, and I really believe that Disney does value it's employees (regardless of the frustration I may have with how the business is run).

The average length of employment in this industry for any firm does hover around 18 months. This sort of work depends on travel/tourism and obviously in times like this, management finds it hard to justify capital expenditures- so you have lay-offs, and people are scrambling to keep busy on projects because the nature of our work revolves around the next project to get approved (there have been reports that estimate that WDI may put together as many as 50 proposals, only to have 1 or 2 "greenlighted" to the next phase). It's a vicious, cylical environment and is not for the faint of heart.

However the rewards, beyond what can be measured financially outweigh the negatives from my perspective. I get rewarded with the smiles and memories that guests take away with them while still getting to play with some pretty cool, cutting-edge technology and have the greatest group of co-workers putting my talents towards something fun (not off in some cubicle somewhere designing the latest circuit board layout for some obscure microprocessor that's going into a toaster).

Ian
05-28-2003, 10:03 PM
Bumped up for kingomvision :D

kingomvision
05-29-2003, 04:30 AM
WDWacky, hahaha thanks a bunch graemlins/party.gif

at first i was like..."wait that guy knows my name...." haha it's 1:16am here...that's why.

I do actually have a few questions for Mufasa:

1) is the imagi-nations competition open to international students?

2) same as above but for the internship?

3) I am in the process of getting my BFA in Theatre design with a minor in creative writing. I imagine that a lot of people applying for WDI might follow a similar path. What would be your advice in terms of "standing out". My immediate thought would be to become an excellent visual artist such as creating amazing paintings, sketches, models, felt renderings etc. I assume that if you send in your portfolio and they see stuff that they would want to show off in a book, then you've got a good chance no matter what your educational background.

4) straight out of college? or more experience? (in terms of set design/writing/artistry)

5) any more advice/tips considering my field of work?

6) if i am lucky enough to get an interview, what type of person are they usually looking for? a good team worker? a creative mind? problem solver? in tune with the current young generation? someone who is respectful of Disney history? All of the above?

7) you say internships are competitive, what do you mean? when you apply is it based on a portfolio or interview?

8) what do you do at imagineering?

9) (this one is more of a joke - i'm not really this stupid or naieve, but just play along) If we showed you samples of our work and you really thought it was great would you get in trouble for showing it to your bosses and trying to land us jobs?! (heh heh i figured no one had asked the "hook me up!" question!)

thank you so much mufasa, the info is greatly appreciated. Stay in touch.

graemlins/beer.gif

frndshpcptn
05-29-2003, 04:24 PM
This is great info, thanks for sharing. My question is, what type of work do they handle in the NYC office? That's where I am currently located and at the moment don't want to leave the city.

Thanks!

kingomvision
05-31-2003, 10:44 PM
bumping until mufasa gets back. thanks.

graemlins/beer.gif

NYC WDW Fan
06-02-2003, 03:03 PM
Great feedback for those with artistic talents or those in school looking for direction (something I didn't have, aside from directions to the bar! graemlins/beer.gif ) But, how about those already into their careers, say as printing sales and production people (hint), who love the idea of WDW and would like to lend their skills to the Dream? Are there Imagineer career paths that require skills other than that of the artistic/engineer/architect fields? Hey, I have an Imagination and am willing to help out the Mouse! graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Mufasa
06-04-2003, 09:09 PM
Hi everyone-

I've been incredibly busy lately so I haven't had much time to respond to things, but I have been reading through this thread and will post my reply as soon as I can.

As far as some of the disciplines within WDI here's a listing from one of our recruiting brochures:

Accountants, Advanced Technology Researchers, Architects, Architectural Designers, Audio/Video Specialists and Engineers, CAD Specialists, Carpenters, Civil Engineers, Colorists, Computer Software Designers and Programmers, Conceptual Designers, Construction Managers, Contract Administrators, Cost Engineers, Electrical Engineers, Electronic and Electromechanical Assemblers, Environmental Designers and Space Planners, Exhibit Designers, Facility Designers and Space Planners, Financial Analysts, General Services Support, Graphic Designers, Human Resource Specialists, Illustrators, Industrial Designers, Industrial Engineers, Interior Designers, Landscape Architects, Librarians and Information Specialists, Lighting Designers, Local Area Network Administrators, Machinists, Materials Applications Designers, Material Planners, Mechanical Engineers, Model Builders, Optics and Projection Systems Engineers, Plastics Fabricators, Producers, Production Artists, Production Coordinators, Project Estimators, Project Managers, Project Planners, Project Schedulers, Prototype Developers, Quality Assurance Engineers, Scenic Artists, Screen Printers, Sculptors, Secretaries, Show Technology Designers, Show Set Designers, Special Effects Designers, Story and Copy Writers, Storyboard and Sketch Artists, Strategic Planners, Systems Engineers, Telecommunications Specialists, Tool and Die Makers

That isn't a comprehensive list by any means, but it goes to show you that there probably is a fit for you if you believe that you belong here. The one common thing amongst everyone in WDI is that we all share the title of Imagineer. In other words, there is no one magic path towards becomming an Imagineer (it's not really so much a job as it is an attitude and way of thinking).

Gotta get back to work... I'll try and post more again soon.

NYdaily
06-05-2003, 01:55 PM
thanks mufasa for the generous thread!

as far as concept artist/illustrator positions -- does WDI accept unsolicited portfolios, or is there a certain process for review? do you have to know someone who knows someone? ;) or are they open about new work?

many thanks!

MaryburkS
06-05-2003, 04:15 PM
Hi Mufasa- many thanks for the info...

I noticed "graphic designer" listed above as part of WDI. Does that encompass all graphic design for the company or what? I'm graduating in December with a degree in graphic design and had thought vaguely of pursuing something with Disney. Any advice on how to kick that off?

Thanks! Mary

Mufasa
06-11-2003, 04:54 PM
Hi Everyone-

Ok, I've been getting a lot of questions lately about the whole process regarding portfolios and submissions, etc

First, I can't stress this enough- WDI is not in the position of accepting outside submissions for possible new ride ideas, resorts, etc. Again, the only major exception to this rule is the yearly Imagi-Nations University design competition.

If you're applying for consideration in a position where you may be asked to submit a portfolio, the following generally will be the steps involved. NOTE: DO NOT SUBMIT A PORTFOLIO TO WDI UNLESS ASKED AS THEY WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

1.) If you're submitting materials to WDI, you should understand that whatever you submit won't be returned to you so they should be copies that you're willing to part with.

2.) Depending on the position, the folks in human resources may provide you with a specific portfolio submission form which you'll need to fill out.

3.) Enclose a copy of your resume with your portfolio

4.) Write a cover letter indicating the job position or area of interest in which you are applying.

5.) Identify all pieces of your portfolio with your name as well as the packaging for all pieces

6.) Portfolios generally should be under 25 pages max

7.) Video submissions should be limited to no longer than 4 minutes and have either slates or a table of contents that includes a breakdown of each piece on the tape, as well as your specific area of responsibility on what is shown.

As far as what to include in your portfolio, honestly- if you're submitting a portfolio by now you should know what to include (if you're not certain, just ask the folks in human resources for some sample guidelines).

Now, yes... it is true that some folks, like Tom Fitzgerald (WDI's Executive VP of creative development and theme park productions) literally walked into WDI HQ about 20 years ago with a very crude model of a winnie the pooh attraction he had put together and practically begged to see someone and got some time with Marty Sklar who was impressed by his determination and gave him a chance. But these days, I'm not sure you could pull that off.

Having an inside contact in the company may help you slightly, but it may still take a few tries before you have everything put together and polished to where things just fall in place and you land that job. If you want it enough, just be patient and persistent and everything will work out in the end. Creating the magic takes a lot of blood, sweat and tears in addition to some pixie dust now and then.

Tynkerbelle
06-19-2003, 02:13 PM
OK Mufasa - I have to jump on this bandwagon (I hope it's not too late!)....

Like everyone here, I'm sure, it has seriously been my lifelong dream to work for WDW - ever since my first trip as a 4 year old I've never stopped thinking about it. It's one of those 'my life will not be complete until I've at least tried to fulfill this dream' sort of things!

My question is this:

HOW????!!!!

I have a BA in Psych and a Master's in Education -I chose majors where I'd enjoy my classes to keep me motivated! Mainly my work experience over the past 10 years has been teaching in one form or another. Once I left the school where I was teaching, I went into corporate training (banking). I also have some HR in my background.

I really to be at WDW and every now and again I'll see a training position posted on their careers page. What has interested me is the workshops on service Disney style that the Disney Institute will give every now and then. There was one here in NJ a couple of years ago, but unfortunately, I was unable to attend. Not only would I love to go to such a seminar, but if I were to stay with training, I'd like to be so skilled as to facilitate these seminars!

While I do enjoy training and am very comfortable and experienced in that field, I really would like to be a hands-on part of creating the magic!

Is there room for someone with my background in area of imagineering and if so, where? Or, am I better off sticking to what I know?

Thanks for your help in possibly making my dream come true!

Mufasa
08-18-2003, 12:22 AM
I know it's been a while since I've last posted to this thread. Things have been pretty busy and hectic- but now that Mission: Space has been performing extremely well (which means I'm actually able to get some sleep at night and my blood pressure is back to normal) I thought I'd start to provide some more information here.

So I begin with some advice that's sent out in a letter from WDI to those who really are considering Imagineering, but don't know quite how to get started.

While there is no easy formula for becoming an Imagineer, we have formulated the following observations:

First, it is important to understand the separation between the fantasy worlds of our Disney product and the reality of our business.

If you accept and understand how the needs and parameters of the one affect the other, the realities involved are just as fascinating as the fantasies.

Second, expand your horizons.
Don't limit your interest to the Disney mythologies.

Allow it to be a point of entry to the discovery of other realms, whether they be cultural study, computers, robotics, film, art, or history.

A knowledge of Disney does not guarantee you a job with Disney, nor is it a prerequisite for one.

Third, follow what you love.

At Imagineering we seek specialized excellence and believe that true top-notch talent is usually developed when an activity is followed for the joy it provides.

With such skill, whether it be in writing, drafting, engineering, illustration or any of the scores of other disciplines used by Imagineering, you will more successfully fill roles and solve challenging problems and you will find more opportunity for your own creative expression.

Finally, it is a misconception that the majority of effort we undertake here is idea-oriented.

We never seem to have a shortage of ideas, just the time and resources to execute them all! The reality is that the "idea time" is probably about one percent of a project.

The rest of the time involves the process of making the very best of those ideas into realities.

-The Imagineers

tink174
08-18-2003, 01:42 AM
Mufasa,
Can you tell me anything about Disney historians.Are they under the Imagineer catagory? I really would love to get in touch with one as I am graduating from University soon and need some direction.Do you know where I can more information about this job?
Thank you for helping all of us!!

Mufasa
08-18-2003, 02:18 AM
First and foremost there is the Disney Archives (company wide) founded and led by Dave Smith which started out in 1970 when the Disney family wanted to preserve the history (documents, memorabilia) of Walt Disney but expanded to chronicle the history of the entire Disney organization. He is regarded as the final authority on all things Disney.

I believe he holds a B.A in history and a Master's in Library Science from UC Berkeley.

Unfortunately, the archives are not open to the public. The Archives was set up for the use of the employees of The Walt Disney Company. In earlier years, they were more open to students and writers from outside the company, but with the tremendous growth of the company, the workload has increased so much that they had to curtail that service.

However, the archives readily will answer inquiries from the public by telephone, letter, and email.

I remember an interview given by Dave Smith and he offered the following info:

The decision on what to save in the Archives is based on years of experience of what our users are going to be asking for. Thus, the most important materials we save are informational materials -- publications, press releases, correspondence files, etc.

We are not a museum, and are not making a point of collecting exhibit materials -- in fact today we collect very few merchandise samples. In the earlier days, we collected more of the merchandise, but over 30 years it has rarely been requested and is just taking up storage space. Thus, we have recently deaccessioned some of the items which no longer fit within our collecting policy and made them available to Disney Auctions.

Since we are not accumulating display objects, a traveling exhibit would probably not be possible. Our material is here for research purposes, and cannot be spared for traveling exhibits.

And as for job openings in the archives he later said:

We rarely have openings in the Archives, since we are a small department (five in the Archives and four in the Photo Library), but when we do have openings, they are listed on the Disney.com website under Disney Careers. We recently filled an opening for a computer expert in the Archives and a clerk in the Photo Library, those were the first openings we have had in over five years, and both were listed on the website. For positions in the Archives, we look for expertise in library skills and historical research, and hopefully some Disney knowledge (though we do not hire Disney collectors).

Within Imagineering there is the resource center (WDI Library) and Archives and I know that Feature Animation maintains the Animation Research Library.

Finally, there are individuals within the company that serve as unofficial historians- the late David Mumford (an Imagineer) along with another Imagineer Bruce Gordon co-authored a series of books like "Disneyland: The Nickel Tour" and really sparked the idea for the official Imagineering book- "Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look at Making the Magic Real."

Disneydol
08-18-2003, 02:47 PM
What a great thread! I've learned so much already.

I have 2 questions:
What is "Team Disney?",
and what division does "Human Resources" fall under?

These are off topic from Imagineering, but I figured this would be the place to get an answer!

Thanks!

[ August 18, 2003, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: Disneydol ]

Mufasa
08-18-2003, 04:52 PM
Team Disney represents the Operations/Support/Administrative offices connected with their various locations. There's Team Disney in Orlando (supporting WDW), Team Disney Anaheim (supporting Disneyland)- even a Team Disney at the Walt Disney Studios/Corporate HQ.

Usually the Team Disney buildings are noted by their unique architecture (Orlando's Team Disney building can be seen across from Downtown Disney- designed by architect Arata Isozaki) and Team Disney Burbank (designed by architect Michael Graves- featuring in place of columns, the seven dwarves on the facade of the building).

Human Resources isn't really a divison on it's own- since the company is so large each group essentially runs as independent entities and thus they each have their own HR department. For example, Disneyland and WDW both are under the theme park/resorts umbrella but are run separate from one another. Imagineering is another organization by itself. Feature Animation and Television Animation are completely separate.

Contemporary Woman
08-18-2003, 08:07 PM
Wow, what a cool thread smile.gif I'm fascinated smile.gif

I have a question, if I may smile.gif I'm intregued by the idea of writers working for WDI...I'm curious what capacity they would work in...writing spiels and scripts for attractions I suppose, anything else you can think of?

As a writer, this totally fascinates me...

Mufasa
08-19-2003, 02:51 AM
Writers play a key part in Imagineering- since the success of a themed attraction relies upon the underlying story. Ideas are turned into a story treatment, which gives everyone on the attraction team an understanding of the direction that the project should take. Writers also will help to flesh out character details and will assist the design team to preserve the story being told.

Show writers are also responsible for producing the copy/script for the attraction and often times they may supervise dialog recording sessions.

As an example, let's look at a story treatment for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (you can find this and other examples of back stories in the book "Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look at Making the Magic Real"-

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad dates back to the wild and wooly boom town days when every prospector west of the Rockies was looking for gold. The following is the tall tale heard tell by one of those prospectors who got it second-hand from old Sam, the last of the big Thunder Miners:

Yessir, it is 1840, and around these parts, things got prit' near quiet as the hangin' tree on Sunday after the Big Thunder Mine tapped out. One day there ain't none richer, the next, even a ghost wouldn't have much innerst in her.

Things got mighty busted up and rusted down inside Big Thunder, so Sam told me while sluggin' from a dusty bottle of Old Imagineer. He was the last prospector inside that mine. Fact is, poor old Sam took a spill and done landed belly up in one of them ore cars. Next thing he knows, the car takes off like a skinny coyote after a plump hen!

Off he went, a headin' fer the mine. Seems like that old ghost mine came to life for Sam. He swears the rusted winch engine was a pumpin' and a wheezin' and just when he was thinkin' he must have bats in his belfry, there was bats! Then he sat up to see what he could see in the dark, and there was pools of rainbow water and waterfalls, and plenty of them rocks the schoolmarm calls "stalactities and stalagmites."

The walls of the canyon kept comin' in closer and closer at old Sam and he yelled until he couldn't yell no more. All of a sudden, the car thunders into a pitch dark tunnel, with Sam holdin' on fer dear life. Comin' back out the other side, he spots a couple of danged skunks foolin' with blastin' powder, like to blow the top off a whole derned mountain! Little ways away, danged if'n there ain't a Billy goat chawin' on a stick of the stuff! But Sam didn't have no time to worry about that, 'cuz next thing he knows he's whippin' down Spiral Butte and headin' right back down into Big Thunder Mine. Sam figgered he was goin' in and never comin' out this time, with all that rumblin' and shakin' and rocks comin' down all around him. he closed his eyes tight but the next thing ya know he was outside and high-ballin' down on the track again, right over the Bear River Trestle Bridge.

That ore car finally squealed to a stop right smack dab in the middle of Big Thunder Town. Sam just sat up, brushed off the dust and said, "I ain't had this much of a whoop and a holler since the Grub Gang hit town. I just barely got out with my hide!"

Sam's amazing ghost story was told and retold over the years, and because of it, no one was ever brave enough to even set foot near the mine-- until the day a bold young Imagineer heard the tale and thought it might be fun to take a ride on old Big Thunder himself. Sure enough, he did, and the train ride turned out to be so much fun he decided to officially re-open the mine. Folks soon heard the news about Big Thunder and began to arrive to take their own wild ride on the legendary runaway train.

While the original story treatments often times are never seen by guests- now that you've seen one, how well do you think the attraction captured the essence of that short story? It's a tool where all the members on the attraction team can refer to, along with other tools of the trade (storyboards and visual reference guides like artist renderings) that put everyone on the same page.

[ August 19, 2003, 03:18 AM: Message edited by: Mufasa ]

TripAway2Day
08-19-2003, 09:50 AM
Mufasa,

Since I already work for "the company" I thought it would be relatively easy to hook an interview with WDI.

During my 10+ years, I have "worked" with Mike West and his crew creating the binaural sound effects in both versions of Alien Encounter.

I was also praised by WDI for the quality of my live spiels (and voice) for Legend of the Lion King.

Granted, those experiences were when I was working for WDW Attractions Operations. During those experiences, I would get all excited and think, "This is it! I'm hanging with the WDI guys!"

Unfortunately, nothing ever came from it.

Recently, I sent Mike Ostendorf my resume (he had a few positions open for the Studios NY rehab) and still haven't heard of anything.

I believe my strength lies in Script or Copy Writing and my vocal ability.

So, here's my question:

If I put together a humorous (think Kevin Rafferty style) video and sent it off to Glendale, would it seriously be evaluated AND does the fact that I'm already a Cast Member aid in the hiring process?

Your insight is always appreciated.

[ August 19, 2003, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: TripAway2Day ]

Contemporary Woman
08-19-2003, 10:27 AM
Wow, thank you Mufasa. That was so amazing...and if I weren't disabled and unable to work now, believe you me I'd be putting together some great stuff (yes that is a technical term, 'stuff' ;) to send to WDI! So sad :(

I think the script was a fabulous description of the final ride. The sense of humor of the writer is very evident, this is my favorite part:

"Things got mighty busted up and rusted down inside Big Thunder, so Sam told me while sluggin' from a dusty bottle of Old Imagineer"

ROFL! "Old Imagineer". Hilarious!

Anyhoo, if I might venture a comment to the last post even though I'm not Mufasa, I worked for "the company" too for awhile back in the late 80's (not in WDW, out of state) and when I inquired about changing areas/transferring to WDW they told me that they definitely like to hire from within, and that cast members have a better chance of getting promoted to positions like Imagineer than someone on the outside, unless you have a very, VERY specific skill set that they need (as Mufasa indicated earlier). My husband is a mechanical engineer and we inquired once about the best way to get into WDI and the people at Casting advised him to get on the company payroll any way he could, and then try from there.

So hopefully, your experience with Attractions should help you...of course I defer to Mufasa as he is the expert here, just thought I'd put in what I was told.

Good luck!!!

[ August 19, 2003, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: Contemporary Woman ]

benny_huddy
08-19-2003, 12:36 PM
thanks for the great thread, it sure has answered a lot of my questions. but there is one groud that hasent been stepped on yet? in a perfect world, our employers would give us enough money for everything we wanted, but since we dont live in a perfect world, what is the average starting slary of an imagineer?

Goofy Pluto
08-22-2003, 01:45 PM
OK, here's my speil...

I graduated six years ago with a Mechanical Engineering degree from a rather well known engineering school in the Philadelphia area. I can admit that my grade weren't as good as I would like them to be. I messed around too much my first two years, but made that up by working hard the last few years to boost them. I applied to WDI when I graduated and got a form letter in return. Since them most of the work I've done has been more quality/validation type of work. I've done it because the pay is good and takes care of my family's bills and needs (and leave a little extra) but I would REALLY love to do some more creative type work... ESPECIALLY for Disney. So what are my chances? What would I have to do at this point to boost my chances to be an Imagineer? Does my background just not fit at this point? What kind of schooling/training/experience should I be after in order to help myself here?

Basically, what I'm getting at here is that my career path seems to have taken me away from what I orignally wanted to do... be an Imagineer. I just couldn't help it. I needed the money and the jobs paid well. Now I feel like I messed up my chances with the wrong types of experience. What do you think, Mufasa? Am I done thinking about Imagineering? What would you suggest?

Mufasa
08-24-2003, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by TripAway2Day:
I believe my strength lies in Script or Copy Writing and my vocal ability.

So, here's my question:

If I put together a humorous (think Kevin Rafferty style) video and sent it off to Glendale, would it seriously be evaluated AND does the fact that I'm already a Cast Member aid in the hiring process?

Your insight is always appreciated. I think the fact that you have 10+ years of experience with the company as a Cast Member defintiely can be used to your advantage. With any sort of position- there are a lot of factors that can certainly improve your chances and as a CM you can make those contacts and network with the right people where someone off the street doesn't have those same opportunities. Take advantage of them, wherever possible.

A good number of applicants are hired based on referrals from Imagineers.

Sending off a video to Glendale... would it be seen or seriously evaluated? I really don't know how best to offer any advice on that. Definitely, whatever you do- showcase your own style. Don't try and emulate Kevin Rafferty. But definitely draw upon your background of having worked in the theme parks.

Interesting that you mention Kevin Rafferty. I remember hearing him talk about how he got into Imagineering. He wanted to be another one in the line of "great Disney artists" after watching the old Disneyland TV show and the segments on the Imagineers. So when he got older, he started by naturally applying to be a CM at Disneyland because he wanted to "be a part of the magic."

So his first job- washing dishes at the Plaza Inn. He stuck with it, working through college and eventually graduated with a degree in Art and applied to Imagineering. He told them that he wanted to "be a part of the magic." So he got hired.

His first job: dusting off the architectural models for Epcot. Years later, he still isn't the traditional artist in Imagineering he figured was his initial dream but is living out that dream of being an Imagineer and is doing his part to create the magic.

For anyone that's truly interested in Imagineering, one thing you will find is that you have to be persistent. It may take you several tries to get into WDI. Who knows how many attempts it may take. I remember hearing about a show designer with WDI who first applied in 1978, but was turned down. He developed his skills and kept applying, going to interviews. Finally, he was hired in 1990.

And by being persistent, please... be mindful of Imagineers. It's ok to introduce yourself and strike up a conversation, but don't stalk! You'll find that we're all very friendly smile.gif

At the same time, don't necessarily hold Disney up on a pedestal. Don't only apply to Imagineering, or Universal Creative. Research the theme park industry and hone your skills for one of the companies in the field (Landmark, ITEC, BRC Imagination Arts are just a sampling of firms).

Join groups like IAAPA (International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions) or TEA (Themed Entertainment Association). IAAPA has it's annual convention/tradeshow coming up in Orlando in November (17th through the 22nd I believe). It's a great place to network and meet people in the industry.

[ August 24, 2003, 02:21 AM: Message edited by: Mufasa ]

Dryad
08-29-2003, 01:07 PM
Mufasa, thanks for all the great information. I have a question or two about other specicialities looked for for the Imagineering team. I was wondering if there are any interactive entertainment specialists at WDI? I'm a computer game designer (a profession which I *love*), and am thrilled to see more interactive attractions coming to the parks, such as the Buzz Lightyear ride and Lucky the Dinosaur, as well as things like the talking trash can that I saw in Tomorrowland in WDW. Do you know if the WDI employs any interactive entertainment specialists? Or is the interactive nature of certain attractions is just being added as possible (in accordance with Walt's original vision, if I'm not mistaken), by the Imagineers from other specialties?

~Dryad

loadingband
11-13-2003, 06:36 PM
Hey Mufasa,
One question. Do you get to apply on what office you want to work at? Such as, I'd prefer to work at the office in Celebration, FL. I know this is awhile off for me (I'm a freshman in HS) but I want to start preping for my career life.

Trevor

Mufasa
11-13-2003, 06:55 PM
To a certain extent you can select which office you want to apply to. Internships are available in both Glendale, CA and Celebration, FL, however you have to realize that Celebration is a much smaller unit than Glendale. (I'd say that approximately 80% of all Imagineers are based out of Glendale).

There are some satellite WDI locations at each park with a small number of WDI staff on-site, but the majority of the work gets done back at HQ in Glendale. Also, there's one centralized HR department where you'd submit your application (Glendale).

Orlando right now is an area with a lot of companies in the themed entertainment industry so there's a lot of competition for a relatively limited number of positions at WDI Florida. (Also, the WDI- Celebration offices used to be geared more towards Disney Development Company operations).

As with any other career, when you're serious about that industry you pretty much have to move/follow where that industry is located. There are opportunities in Florida, but with WDI you have to be open to being located in California.

loadingband
11-13-2003, 07:20 PM
Hmm, ok thanks for letting me know. If I decide not to do Imagineering, what other job opportunites are available in the Walt Disney World Resort?

Trevor

Mufasa
11-13-2003, 08:48 PM
If you're specifically looking for jobs at Walt Disney World, when the time comes, you'd just call and set up an appointment at the Walt Disney World Casting Center and one of the Casting Agents can help guide you as to what job options are available at the resort.

The Walt Disney World Resort has positions in a variety of areas, including Casting Services (which recruits entry-level, hourly Cast Members, skilled tradespeople, and administrative support); Executive and Professional Recruiting (which recruits industry professionals); College Recruiting (which recruits undergraduates for full-time working and learning experiences); Entertainment (which recruits parade performers, singers, dancers, musicians, stage technicians, stunt performers, and DJs); and International Recruiting (which recruits international students for working and learning experiences).

To find out more information, you'd call the resort JobLine at (407) 828-1000 between 8AM and 8PM Monday-Friday and you can get a listing of current openings.

loadingband
11-14-2003, 11:33 AM
Thanks alot! The info was very useful!

Trevor

kingomvision
12-17-2003, 05:48 AM
Mufasa, thanks for all the great info!!

With all the theme parks in the world today [Disney has 10 (and soon 11 and shanghai possibly 12) Universal has 5 (0r 4?) and there are countless other projects with Disney alone] is theme park design a truly growing industry? i have convinced myself that it is.

Would you agree that entering this field in the next 3-10 years would offer plenty of opportunity?

As a set design student, i figure at least there will always be film and theatre work!

my second question(s): do you think WDI could handle another walt disney? do you think the disney company would allow it? do you think it will ever happen? i know there are a lot of creative people out there, but does the world stand a chance?

thanks graemlins/muscles.gif

Mufasa
12-17-2003, 10:27 AM
I wouldn't say that theme park design is a growing industry- opportunities are limited and highly competitive, especially when it comes to either Imagineering or Universal Creative. There are smaller firms in the industry and more and more companies expand out into themed entertainment each year and that's a great way to break into the industry.

However, as I mentioned earlier in this thread the average length of employment in this line of work in one place probably hovers around 18 months. The work is highly volatile and most of the work is project oriented (once the project is complete, you're out of a job and off to find the next project for employment).

It can be a difficult occupation to get into- the same can be said of Hollywood. (in fact, a number of individuals with specialized crafts in themed entertainment split their time with work on projects for the various studios just to keep the work "steady").

Will opportunities in themed entertainment grow over the next 3-10 years? I don't believe it will dramatically. Things ebb and flow in response to the economy since our work is tied into the travel/tourism and entertainment industry.

I don't want to discourage you from following your dreams because in the end Imagineers are some of the biggest dreamers who find a way to turn those dreams into reality. It is important that you approach it with a clear, realistic understanding of what's involved and the risks. Get a solid educational foundation, and be open to all opportunities and you'll go far in the industry if this is truly what is in your heart.

I don't know if I quite understand what you're asking with your 2nd question. I think Walt was one of those individuals who comes along once in a generation (or two or three). A real out of the box thinker and in a way there's part of Walt in everyone who continues his legacy. Will there be another singular guiding vision at WDI like Walt? I doubt it- one of the wonderful things about WDI is that it is so collaborative and everyone contributes and there is a sense of belonging to a large family throughout the Disney corporation. That last part- a sense of family really is something that speaks highly of Walt's legacy.

kingomvision
12-17-2003, 06:46 PM
thanks for clearing that up for me! i hadn't really realized (duh) that theme parks and tourism go hand in hand, but i suppose with an event like 9/11 this could greatly affect the number of projects being built if no one wants to come to your country.

do you think building theme parks outside the U.S. was a smart idea? doesn't that mean that people would rather stay in europe or aisia than come to the U.S.? i never really understood the point of building overseas, especially when EuroDisney got off to a bad start. But then again i guess in japan, disney doesn't even run the park, they just get a small slice of the profit.

one more question mufasa: specifically a question regarding set design. what types of projects have set designers been part of lately? is there opportunity to work in the model shop as well? is it possible to get in touch with a set designer at WDI and have him/her answer my questions or act as a mentor?

thanks! graemlins/muscles.gif

Mufasa
12-17-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by kingomvision:
do you think building theme parks outside the U.S. was a smart idea? doesn't that mean that people would rather stay in europe or aisia than come to the U.S.? i never really understood the point of building overseas, especially when EuroDisney got off to a bad start. But then again i guess in japan, disney doesn't even run the park, they just get a small slice of the profit.

one more question mufasa: specifically a question regarding set design. what types of projects have set designers been part of lately? is there opportunity to work in the model shop as well? is it possible to get in touch with a set designer at WDI and have him/her answer my questions or act as a mentor? I don't believe that the overseas parks mean that people will not visit the US parks- it's just an extension of the brand and helps to make the Disney magic more accessible.

It's interesting for me having been involved in an overseas project- the Tokyo resorts and the challenges in adapting our experiences for a different culture. I think those very experiences have been very beneficial for me to apply on projects I've worked on for the US parks.

The parks in Florida are able to draw a large number of international visitors, and Disneyland in California continues to bring in visitors from Asia, even considering that they have access to the Tokyo resort (and soon Hong Kong Disneyland).

The Tokyo parks, especially Tokyo DisneySea is a spectacular theme park, but Disneyland still remains the crown jewel of the theme parks for the company. Walt Disney World in Florida offers an incredible total resort-wide experience which i don't think is diluted in anyway by the additional overseas parks (they just make it more difficult for true Disney fans to try and visit each location).

As for your second question about set design- one thing that really defines the Disney Imagineering philosophy is that the moment our guests arrive on property they are on-stage. Set Design is something that applies to both interior and exterior spaces. So when you talk about what recent projects set designers have been involved with- well, they have a hand every day in the look of the resort.

Again, it's a total team effort. From the landscape architects (it's unfair to think of them as just gardners)- they will shape and mold the canvas that the architects will use to define the spaces to tell the story. Then you get the set designers and art directors who obsess over the color palette and consider things like lighting and even the season so that our guests are part of the story.

As for getting a mentor or contact from WDI- I don't want to sound rude, but resources are limited given the project timelines that we all have to work with. Individually, many Imagineers will volunteer their personal time to provide mentorship opportunities to students or student organizations related to their field of work.

You can certainly write a letter to Imagineering, but I can't really know for certain what the response would be. I say you have nothing to lose in trying.

kingomvision
12-18-2003, 02:38 AM
thanks for another great reply! great insight! must have been neat to bring the disney magic to other cultures!

i understand you can't give away too much info but i'm not looking for a "scoop"

what area of imagineering do you work in? what are you currently working on? have you done work outside of WDI?

this thread is great! graemlins/muscles.gif

StarRanger4
12-18-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by kingomvision:
thanks for another great reply! great insight! must have been neat to bring the disney magic to other cultures!

i understand you can't give away too much info but i'm not looking for a "scoop"

what area of imagineering do you work in? what are you currently working on? have you done work outside of WDI?

this thread is great! graemlins/muscles.gif Well, He hasn't admitted to a particular speciality, but He was rather scarce during the final test and adjusts for Mission Space... graemlins/mickey.gif

Mufasa
12-18-2003, 01:05 PM
I've worked in several specialities during my time in WDI... unfortunately I can't really comment on the current projects that I'm working on. (yes, that's projects plural). It keeps me pretty busy (and not just during the test and adjust phases- they can be the most stressful times during a project phase as you can easily have insane work hours but it's also a fun rush if you can function with little sleep).

As for work I've done outside of WDI- prior to joining WDI I've worked on a number of interesting projects. A few television commercials (mainly animatronic and model construction) and design prototyping (toy and product mock-ups for a few industrial design firms).

kingomvision
01-09-2004, 05:32 AM
are we starting to see a trend towards the parks themselves as opposed to expansion overseas and new parks? i mean new rides and shows.

what is the general feeling among WDI employees about the current state with Eisner? do they think the ol' boot could mean a new boss that will pump up WDI again and let them go nuts? (as nuts as $ will allow)

do you have access to view original artwork from the Ryman/hench days??

what is the storyline for soarin' in epcot going to be? any idea what the show building will look like?

Mufasa
01-09-2004, 05:23 PM
Ok- that was a lot of questions to try and answer, and some of them are more long-term business strategy, so I may not be the right person to answer them

1.) In regards to the domestic theme parks, there is a strategy in place to enhance our guest offerings through new attractions and entertainment options. Personally, I am really impressed with Jay Rasulo and the leadership he brings to the theme parks/resorts division.

2.) I'm not going to comment on the Eisner/Roy Disney situation. I'd rather focus on the creative/process side of things in this thread.

3.) An amazing thing about WDI is the access to materials and references and the care taken to preserve and record ideas that have been generated over the years. I had a chance to meet and get to know Herb Ryman long before I joined Imagineering and I have several pieces that Mr. Ryman gave me as a gift which I treasure to this day.

John Hench still arrives at his office in Glendale every day and is very hands-on and approachable- a trait of all senior level Imagineers in the company which really surprised me when I first got to WDI. His input is valuable and he's had a hand in so many projects including work these days on Hong Kong Disneyland.

4.) As for Soarin' at Epcot- can't really say too much about it. Sorry! At the beginning of this thread I said I can't answer questions about upcoming projects here.

Beast_fanatic
01-09-2004, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Mufasa:
I'd rather focus on the creative/process side of things in this thread.I quite agree. Let's keep this on topic please! So you think you're ready to be an Imagineer for real? is the subject. graemlins/thumbsup.gif