PDA

View Full Version : Disney charms, italian bracelets?

J.C.&ALI'SMOM
02-23-2003, 12:51 PM
Does anyone know a good place to buy these? I have been looking at them and would love to have one of these bracelets with Disney charms on them. I was just wondering if there is somewhere that is more reasonable than most. I would also like to know how to put the charms on or take them off. I have a castle charm that I bought at WDW for my "regular" gold charm bracelet, but I was wondering about these stainless steel ones.

KylesMom
02-23-2003, 01:16 PM
I have found most of my Disney charms at The Emporium on Main Street - I believe they also have them on-site at various hotels.

The charms I have found at Disney have been Sterling Silver, and I always take them to a local jeweler so that they can solder them on. This way the ring cannot open up, thereby losing the charms. I don't think I have seen any disney bracelets with stainless steel charms.

I've had my charm bracelet since I was about six years old, so every charm which goes on it is precious to me. Pretty much tells my life story!

graemlins/mickey.gif

[ February 23, 2003, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: KylesMom ]

Ozarker
02-26-2003, 02:16 PM
Sounds like a good merchandising idea for Disney! graemlins/thumbsup.gif My DD has an Italian Slide and I'm sure she'd love to add some Disney links. Let us know if you ever find out where to get them!

Auntie
02-26-2003, 04:06 PM
Okay, I admit it...I'm out of touch...what is this Italian slide? My daughter has been talking about a charm bracelet...is this what she is referring to? I thought she just meant an old fashion charm bracelet (like old me has). She is going to be 16 soon and I would like to get her something special for her birthday. (Although she is getting her wish to go to Disney!..but this benifits the entire family!).
Thanks for any info.

Ozarker
02-26-2003, 04:42 PM
The Italian charm bracelets that are big right now are stainless steel and look kind of like a Spidel watchband. You buy a "bracelet" which is just a bunch of blank links, and then you buy "charms" that "slide" on (you stretch the bracelet, slide the blank one off, and slide one with a "charm" on in its place.) The charms are affixed to the link, usually flat, but sometimes dangly and either have a symbol (like a cross, a heart, a dog, a cat) or have a stone like a birth stone or a semi-precious stone like tourquoise on it. You can even get individual charms with letters, and spell out a name or a word or initials. My DD has her name spelled out in full, then has a bunch of symbols on hers like a volleyball, a megaphone, plus her birthstone. Needless to say, before you know it, you've replaced all the blank links with decorated links and you end up with 2nd bracelet that is blank again.
This seems to be big with young girls right now, but if I was investing in something I thought she would treasure over the years, I'd start an old fashioned charm bracelet, they are traditional and timeless.
The new twist on the old fashioned charm bracelet is to get a solid, sterling silver circular wire bracelet instead of the (necklace-like) link bracelet that has been around since the 40's or 50's. You buy the individual charms as usual, but then instead of the old fashioned single (connecting) link to hang it from, you buy these little double-links that look like a mini-keychain because they don't separate and fall off. Then the charms slide around on the wire bracelet and you put little separator beads between them. This style is also really popular with young girls and young women, and would be my choice because you are still buying quality sterling silver charms, and if the wire bracelet ever goes out of style you can move your charms back to the old fashioned chain.

Auntie
02-27-2003, 09:28 AM
Thanks for all the info..very detailed which is great because I had no clue. I think I'd better print out your explanation and take it with me to the jeweler to get a look at what your saying.
I'll let you know which design we go with. Going to have to see what she wants. I would like to get her something she can have and keep and add to as she gets older. I may be back picking your brain some more! Appreciate your assistance!

Dizneyana
02-27-2003, 10:17 PM
graemlins/mickey.gif I have one!! graemlins/mickey.gif

I started mine a few months ago when I stumbled across a kiosk In the mall called ‘Simply Charming’.. graemlins/thumbsup.gif (You can look them up on the web too.. Not sure if they have their Disney charms up yet.. Didn’t last time I looked..)

I started with a starter bracelet, and one Mickey icon head charm with crystals.. Starter bracelets are very cheap ($6-10) and each additional plain stainless link is only $.50. The charms however, are pricier, but still very reasonable.. The most expensive Disney one they have is $32.. I now have 7 Disney charms on mine, (including my initials in Disney font) and plan to add more.. :D

They have colored enamel charms as well as the gold.. I prefer the gold, it looks more adult for everyday wear.. They are really beautiful bracelets, and great conversation pieces, and hold up amazingly well.. I wear mine ALL the time, and take it off for nothing.. Still looks great!! graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Can you tell that I love mine?? graemlins/blush.gif

They are sort of hard to add links to.. You are better off letting the professionals do that.. I’ll have enough links here pretty soon from my original bracelet to start a new one!! Darn!! ;)

JenniBarra
02-27-2003, 10:37 PM
There's probably a lot of different places that sell just the blank bracelets. I received mine as a gift, so I'm not sure where it came from originally. The Emporium at Magic Kingdom is a great place to purchase the charms. I was blown away by how inexpensive they are there!

DisneyDudet
05-13-2003, 02:08 PM
I just to the regular charm bracelet... i love to jingle when i walk! I'm 19 and have only had mine a few years... i have the mickey hat and the 3-d castle... which will be put on when there's more to even out the weight. I plan on buying more next time! in 32 days!

ºOº DisneyDudet

MPoppins
05-14-2003, 09:04 AM
There are many internet sites selling a large variety of Disney Italian charms. Just go to any search engine and search for "Disney Italian charms" and the sites will come up. Prices for the enamel/stainless charms run anywhere from $26 to $35. The gold/stainless charms run from $20 to $45. Look for the site to mention that the Disney charms are from the official Walt Disney Collection and that they are backstamped as such. The characters range from Bambi to Mickey to Cinderella to Pooh - there are a gazillion choices! These little pieces of art are just beautiful!

Grammy Grumpy
08-27-2003, 04:50 PM
One of my daughter's second grade students was at WDW this summer and they said they got italian charms at one of the shops in Italy in EPCOT! :D However, the mom was shocked :eek: at the cost so needless to say they didn't get many charms.

I have bought a few on ebay and if you watch you can get some for as little as $10 or so. Of course non Disney ones are most likely going to be less. I bought my bracelet this summer at the Italianfest in Milwaukee WI. I was able to find my favorite character, Grumpy!! graemlins/thumbsup.gif I also have one with Mickey ears in blue stones (for my favorite place on earth), one with my birthstone, one with my favorite treat (ice cream cone), and two for my favorite beverage (coke and diet coke). Wonder if I can find one for Beverly

Tip - When you buy charms don't let them take the extra link. Use them to build another base bracelet for future gift giving! graemlins/party.gif

MaryBelle
09-02-2003, 05:46 PM
I too have seen many different Disney Italian charms on EBAY. And not just the fab five, but other characters such as ones from movies, and in some cases I have even seen Disney "symbols" such as Mickey's sorcerer hat and Cinderella's glass slipper. In fact, most recently I saw an Italian charm that actually had another small charm item dangling from it, sort of a combination of the "old" and "new" charm bracelets. smile.gif

I havent started one , but I considered it after coming across charms of Belle and Tinkerbell at the mall a couple of weeks ago. graemlins/mickey.gif

DisneyDudet
09-29-2003, 12:24 PM
There are actually 2 different kinds of Italian charms you can get at WDW. We were told by a CM at the fine clothing store at MGM that there are Sterling Silver ones with 14K gold designs on them that are sold behind the counters and there are stainless steel ones sold on the racks.

If you are wanting, I guess, more "quality" or that out don't want them to discolor or mess up, I don't know... she said to go for the more expensive since the designs are better attached. the starter bracelet is a little more expensive if you get it in sterling.

If I were to get some Italian charms, I would get the sterling ones. I have better experience w/ Disney jewelry the more expensive it is.