PDA

View Full Version : Bus Etiquette?

disneynarula
05-14-2003, 08:18 AM
Do you think it is important to show good manners when riding the resort buses at WDW?

Last time I was down there I was riding the bus back to POR from Epcot. The bus was pretty full due to the fact that the park had just closed. I was standing. There were a lot of people about my age (just hanging on to the threads of my twenties) sitting down. A woman got on holding her sleeping baby. NOT ONE PERSON OFFERED THIS LADY A SEAT. She struggled holding on to the handrail and her child at the same time until we got back to the resort.

I thought this was terrible. The same trip I saw and elderly lady standing while a toddler who could have easily ridden in someone's lap took up a seat.

Now I would never expect someone to give up a seat to me as I am perfecty capable of standing but shouldn't we show some common decency to others.

p.s. One morning a nice gentleman actually did offer his seat to me. I guess chivarly isn't completley dead.

Roland
05-14-2003, 08:30 AM
When I enter a bus, I never take the first few rows. I always try to go at least half way down so other people boarding do not have a hard time. I always offer my seat to the elderly and women who are holding children. Quite a few times, I have offered my seat to a lady and after I get up, they put their 5 year old in the seat. I think she misunderstood the point. By all means I am not saying this is frequent and all women do this seat swap, but it does annoy me a bit.

I'll still offer my seat on a crowded bus because that's the way I was raised.

Darbylew
05-14-2003, 08:59 AM
Most of the time we have people that offer their
seats to others who need to sit. I was offered a
seat one time which was very nice - I am a grand-
mother. We also head for the back of the bus when
we board so it will be easy for other people getting on. :D

JennyAnne
05-14-2003, 09:00 AM
I totally agree...I used to take public transportation to work (a rapid transit) and there were always people sitting that could have easily stood so that some of the more elderly people could sit. I also remember a time (I was standing) that a pregnant woman boarded the transit. She was either at her due date or having twins because she was VERY pregnant. Not one person offered for her to sit. I thought she was going to go into labor on the transit. She was sweating and going through her breathing exercises. I moved near her in case she needed help, but she didn't. It was horrible.

Speaking of bus etiquette, another thing that bothers me happens when a bus full of people are attempting to unload. Things would go much faster if people got off in an orderly fashion, but inevitably there are people in the back that go stampeding to the front, causing people to get blocked up and have to wait.

I know, I know....I'm petty and I shouldn't let the little things bother me! :D

[ May 14, 2003, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: JennyAnne ]

LottaLubes
05-14-2003, 09:23 AM
Luckily we've had good luck on buses...the only place we really ride them is at Disney but we've always found our fellow passengers to be very accomodating.

We started teaching our kids about bus etiquette when they were young. You'll be happy to know that my boys (now age 11 and 9) are always the first to offer their seat to someone. They think it's kind of cool to be standing on the bus and they know they are doing a good deed.

The same rules should apply to the monorails when they get crowded.

Tiffany
05-14-2003, 09:32 AM
Yes, It is important to show good bus etiquette. My cousin and her 2yr. old went to WDW and she had to carry the babies stroller on and off the bus, she said someone offered to help her with the stroller. Most people are nice and offer their seats to the elderly or women with children. I could not imagine seeing a woman with a baby standing and not give up my seat! The bad thing about the buses are catching them right after a park closes.

Tinkermom
05-14-2003, 09:33 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Roland:
[QB] Quite a few times, I have offered my seat to a lady and after I get up, they put their 5 year old in the seat. I think she misunderstood the point. By all means I am not saying this is frequent and all women do this seat swap, but it does annoy me a bit.

Being a mom of 3 young children I would very much prefer that they be sitting in a seat and not standing. It is very difficult for a 5 year old to stand and hold themselves up while the bus is moving not to mention dangerous. Also, when they do get to that age they tend to be a little too heavy for us moms to carry or to hold on our laps. So, yes I would be one of those ladies who would thank-you profusely and then put my child in the seat - much safer! smile.gif

Lisa graemlins/mickey.gif

Piglet822
05-14-2003, 01:03 PM
My DH will always offer his seat to anyone he thinks could use it better than he, regardless of gender. He's very thoughtful of others that way. Now, if I can just get him to do the dishes graemlins/laughing.gif
Another thing that wasn't mentioned and I hear stories from the WDW bus drivers all the time is strollers. They must be folded. I know it's a pain, especially if the little one is sleeping at the time, but it is much safer to have the stroller folded up and leaning against you than have it wide open and have someone trip and fall, or worse fall on your sleeping child :eek:

disneynarula
05-14-2003, 02:30 PM
I am so happy to see that I am not the only person that notices things like this!!!

Marker
05-14-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by disneynarula:
Do you think it is important to show good manners when riding the resort buses at WDW?
I can answer this question very simply - I think it is important to show good manners ANYWHERE.

And, "No one ever does it for me", is not a reason, it's a selfish excuse.

Jasper
05-14-2003, 03:01 PM
Hear Hear Marker! You are right on the Mark! (No pun intended)

Imagine how much nicer the world would be if we all would use our manners.

offwego
05-14-2003, 06:48 PM
I think it is very important! When there in Dec'02 going to all star sports from epcot (park closing) my DS (7) had to stand the whole way and he could not reach any supports but me due to the crowding. However many people were sitting around us that could have stood and carefully avoided eye contact. Oh well.... I know there not here at intercot!

GrandFlo
05-14-2003, 06:58 PM
Boy is this a sore point for me. I would have to say that 95% of the time I have had good experiences on the Disney busses. Once, I was holding my sleeping 3 yo while standing up. As many of you know this is very difficult. I did not mind that no one offered me a seat, but there was a couple that complained. It's not is if I was bumping into to them or anything. They actially said "Disney should do something about all these kids". :eek: One nice man spoke up and said "if you don't want children around you, don't vacation at Disney".

Back at home, when I was 8 months pregnant , the only person who offered me a seat on the bus to work was a very eldery lady (of course I didn't take it). I've noticed that the people most willing to give up a seat are the ones who really need it for themselves.

I always get up for people who need a seat. I look at it this way, I'm glad I have the legs to stand on. I have a family member with MS who can no longer stand. She would give anything to stand on a bus or long line.

[ May 14, 2003, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: GrandFlo ]

Minnie4me
05-14-2003, 09:26 PM
Yes, manners matter at all times. I always offer to give my seat to someone that needs it more than I do.

[ May 14, 2003, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: Beast_fanatic ]

AMickeyfan
05-14-2003, 09:31 PM
I not only offer my seat, but I also MAKE my 14 & 16 year olds offer thiers. If I see a Mom with a sleeping baby, I will make my 10 year old get up as well. It is tuff for her since she can't reach the overhead rails...but she can hold onto the back of a seat. And speaking of taking seats... I have seen strollers taking up seats ... that I think is rude. Yes, I have been there with a stoller, but I would NEVER put it into a seat! I do think that some people leave thier manners at home while on vacation! graemlins/shakehead.gif

Piglet822
05-14-2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by AMickeyfan:
And speaking of taking seats... I have seen strollers taking up seats ... that I think is rude. It's also dangerous.

Altair
05-14-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by AMickeyfan:
I do think that some people leave thier manners at home while on vacation! graemlins/shakehead.gif What makes you think they have manners at home? graemlins/shakehead.gif

imported_PolyGirl40
05-14-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Piglet822:
My DH will always offer his seat to anyone he thinks could use it better than he, regardless of gender. He does!? But -- He's the driver!! :eek: :eek: graemlins/doubleeek.gif

graemlins/rotfl.gif

Beast_fanatic
05-14-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by PolyGirl40:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Piglet822:
My DH will always offer his seat to anyone he thinks could use it better than he, regardless of gender. He does!? But -- He's the driver!! :eek: :eek: graemlins/doubleeek.gif

graemlins/rotfl.gif </font>[/QUOTE]Oooooo! I want to ride/drive his bus! :D

Roland
05-14-2003, 11:09 PM

graemlins/rotfl.gif </font>[/QUOTE]graemlins/laughing.gif graemlins/laughing.gif graemlins/laughing.gif graemlins/laughing.gif

Piglet822
05-15-2003, 04:31 AM

graemlins/rotfl.gif </font>[/QUOTE]You see what the problem is here? Y'all want everything!! First you complain nobody gives up their seat, then when they do you start getting all technical about minor details graemlins/shakehead.gif

graemlins/rotfl.gif graemlins/rotfl.gif graemlins/rotfl.gif

Just like my passengers on DCL, they make me drive all the time. I think one of the kids should drive. I found a 3 year old perfectly willing to take over for me last week, but do you think anyone would back me?? Oh nooooooo.

MissMaryPoppins
05-15-2003, 06:12 PM
I've been on the buses manytimes and seen people give up their seats. I've done it myself. So a family can sit togther, for someone holding a child, or a sleepy kid, for the elderly. I remember one time my mother and I got on a crowded bus and a man and his son offered us their seats, We were both alittle surprised!

Joy

Impostor
05-15-2003, 11:37 PM
"Disney should do something about all these kids"

I would have loved to been there to hear that. I mean, what kind of a person goes to Disney World and complains about "all of the kids"?

[ May 16, 2003, 06:44 AM: Message edited by: PolyGirl40 ]

hercules
05-16-2003, 02:01 PM
If it's that important to sit then just wait for the next bus. For example, I am an able bodies 30 something who after schlepping around Disney can still get exhausted. I have been known to wait for a few buses, or monorails to go by to ensure I get a seat. Once in that seat, I am not giving it up. I have stood while pregnant, while holding a toddler and negotiating a stroller. I don't think its a big deal. Again if I really need to sit, I'll wait for the next ride.

Disdude
05-17-2003, 12:46 PM
I think the point of this post is that manners and to some lesser extent chivalry is dying. It's not dead but more and more people care only about themselves. I guess I have never really given this too much thought because it's something that comes naturally to me. I am 30 and I was raised to have all the manners of the "olden" days. I have to admit in the bus situation I have found myself in a position a couple of times where I was tired from spending the day in the park and would like nothing more than to sit. I watch everyone coming on and just hope that no one comes on that needs the seat more than me. However, I do not hestiate to get up if I need to. This includes the elderly, parents with small children, someone with physical limitations, and woman. I have also hoisted my teenage step-daugther out of her seat at times.

Disneynarula, please let that lady with the child know she can have my seat :D

disneynarula
05-17-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted By:Disdude

Disneynarula, please let that lady with the child know she can have my seat
Thanks. I'll pass it on.
And you were right. The point of this post was to express my feelings that chivalry and manners are dead. (Well not exactly dead, but with a very weak pulse)

mickeefan
05-17-2003, 08:17 PM
this is the one area that I am slightly displeased with and it is not a Disney problem. Our policy is if we can see a bus is going to be standing room only when we get on, we will just stand there and let others go on the bus. We wait for the next one so we will have a seat, even if it is another 20 minutes or so.We just patiently wait as we never try to hurry from one place to another. I have very very seldom had someone offer my wife or myself a seat.We are both senior citizens and both have severe cases of arthuritis in our knees.One of the few times I was offered a seat was on a hot day and I was wearing shorts.The long scars on my legs from two bypass surgeries were pretty apparent and I think this is the only reason why.I have actually gotten up and given my seat to someone who was struggling with a child because everyone else acted like they were not even there.

[ May 17, 2003, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: mickeefan ]

Piglet822
05-17-2003, 09:53 PM
While reading today's posts I remembered something that happened on my bus coming out of Port Canaveral. I was actually shocked to be honest.
I normally check ALL mirrors when leaving the Port, including the two inside. For some reason I guess I didn't do it that day because when I got out on the highway I looked up and saw a lady standing. I said nothing figuring she must've been getting something from the overhead. I look a minute or so later and she's still standing.
Over the PA I asked her why she was standing (I did not have a full bus, there were at least 5 empty seats). She told me there were no seats.
I very politely explained to everyone on the bus that since we were not full, there should be a seat for this woman and would someone kindly remove the package from their seat.
Nobody moved :eek: I actually thought I was going to have to pull the bus off the road until someone moved their stuff!! Finally a man moved (grudgingly I might add) his bag from the seat so she could sit down. I couldn't believe I had actually seen that happen. graemlins/shakehead.gif