PDA

View Full Version : Disney alone?

goofball
09-30-2002, 05:57 PM
So I have some vacation time that I need to use and I haven't been to the World since June and I usually go twice a year so I was thinking of going in November. No one else has any vacation time left for the year so I was thinking about doing it on my own. I'm sure this has been asked before but I would love to hear froma anyone who has gone alone for more than 1 day. Did you feel strange? Was it still as magic? Should I splurge and stay at a monorail resort and just have a ball or what? graemlins/muscles.gif :confused: graemlins/crazy.gif graemlins/mike.gif

disneyfan7777
09-30-2002, 06:48 PM
I would go for it and splurge!! Hey can i go with you ???
I would definately go by myself,sometimes a person just needs to get away.

Roland
09-30-2002, 07:21 PM
I usually go down alone. Some of the time, a friend of mine and his wife go and we hook up and have a blast!!

I think I know what you mean as far as feeling the magic. I do like it when my wife goes with me, but the magic is with WDW. And the magic hasn't been abounding lately.

Emily
09-30-2002, 08:41 PM
I've gone solo 2 or 3 times now. Unfortunately for me, my husband doesn't share my enthusiasm for WDW graemlins/shakehead.gif , so I am usually on my own. I take shorter weekend trips, 3-4 days. Although it is sometimes a bit lonely and it would be nice to have company, there is something really cool about being there by yourself. smile.gif Total freedom to do whatever YOU want to do, see as much or as little as you want, eat what you want, etc. No one is there to argue with you! I tend to be rather shy around people I don't know, but even so touring the parks alone has never been a problem (riding rides and so forth). The only thing I have a problem with is meals - I have yet to eat at a table service establishment by myself because I've always felt weird about it. However, there are TONS of restaurants I want to try, and since hubby won't go and I'm usually alone, it's either try them alone or not at all! So... I have a trip coming up in December, and I am going to try to be more adventurous and work in some table service meals in there somewhere. smile.gif

Oh, and be sure to check the Meets board. Almost every time I've gone, I've hooked up with fellow Intercotees - good friends smile.gif - for at least an hour or more, sometimes the whole day! That makes for a really great time as well!

But I would say definitely go! graemlins/thumbsup.gif Even if it's the only time you ever do it, going to WDW by yourself is really great fun. And by all means - splurge and stay at one of the monorail resorts!! :D I would if my DH would let me part with the $$$. graemlins/shakehead.gif Non-Disney people... argh! :mad:

kansasteen13
09-30-2002, 09:01 PM
I love my family and love going with them but I think by yourself you can see and do more.also you only do what you want.

HooksLeftHand
09-30-2002, 11:29 PM
I haven't gone on a whole vacation alone, but when I was a CM, I used to make quite a few solo trips to the parks on my days off.

It is a different experience, but definitely an enjoyable one nonetheless. While waiting in lines (sorry, queues), get to know your fellow guests! They're often fascinating, and you may find yourself made an honorary member of a nice family, if only for the duration of the ride! Also, talk to cast members--it's a great way to get the inside scoop on WDW.

I might tend to stay away from sit-down restaurants, as that's not an experience I enjoy on my own, but I'd take the money I saved there, and definitely splurge on something cool. Maybe surfing lessons at TL? Or a massage. Or just buying up a ton of souveniers.

Finally, I'm not sure if this is still the case, but back in the day, PI used to be a hotspot to meet new people. So that might be another fun activity to consider.

Whatever you choose to do, the important thing is to do what you enjoy, and HAVE FUN!!!! graemlins/mickey.gif

Disney-4-Me
09-30-2002, 11:52 PM
If given the choice of going alone or not going, I would definately go alone. You can always meet other Intercot friends for meals and see how things go.

The monorail resort question, you gotta be kidding right??!!

goofball
10-01-2002, 02:06 PM
Thanks everyone! You have talked me into it. I just booked my flight down and I will probably go to the World for 3 days. I usually don't mind doing things on my own. I figure I probably won't be eating in too many restaraunts but you never know, I might get a sudden boldness once I get down there. As for the resort, I am going to check the rates and see what I can swing. I hope to see some of you there! graemlins/clappy.gif graemlins/laughing.gif :D

Roland
10-01-2002, 03:24 PM
First, there is nothing to worry about eating alone in a WDW restaurant. Plenty of people do. I almost always do because either I travel alone or when the wife is with me, she doesn't like to eat what I like.

In my single days (40 years), it wasn't a problem either. My taste buds and stomach outweighed any sense of self-awareness. Here's a tip. Bring your park guide with you and pretend to be looking things over. It'll keep your mind off of your perception that other people are looking at you.

If they are looking, they just might be thinking how pretty you are. graemlins/thumbsup.gif

[ October 01, 2002, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: Roland ]