PDA

View Full Version : Donald Duck steps out in a new Walt Disney World Show.

imported_PolyGirl40
01-09-2003, 08:56 AM
According to this article Mickey's PhilharMagic will debut this Fall.

From the Disney Insider:

Passing the Baton

From wayward mice and hissing snakes to acid-firing termites and poison quill-throwing tarantulas, Walt Disney World's recent three-dimensional film attractions have been groundbreaking and entertaining but maybe a little intense for younger guests. So when Imagineers set out to replace "Legend of the Lion King" at the Magic Kingdom, they were thinking kinder and gentler 3-D.

The result is "Mickey's PhilharMagic," a new 10-minute special effects-laden film starring classic Disney characters. (Who could be kinder and gentler?) When the animated attraction debuts next fall, it will star Donald Duck, Mickey Mouse, and other favorites in glorious, in-your-face, computer-generated three dimensions.

In the film, Donald starts out thinking he can conduct the PhilharMagic Orchestra and ends up darting in and out of scenes from various Disney animated features. The peripatetic duck goes under the sea with Ariel, soars through new worlds with Jasmine and Aladdin, just wants to be king alongside Simba, and joins the "Be Our Guest" scene from "Beauty and the Beast."

The show unfolds on a 150-foot-wide canvas (at press time, it is the world's largest 3-D projection surface) and is full of in-theater sounds, smells, and other effects that put you in the middle of the action with the perpetually hot-tempered Donald. Which, come to think of it, might just be scarier than the snakes, spiders, and rodents found in the other Disney 3-D adventures.

CJDDS
01-09-2003, 09:13 AM
I like it!

graemlins/mickey.gif

Shere Kahn
01-09-2003, 09:15 AM
I am looking forward to this based on the good job they have done with the other similar attractions.

TiggerRPh
01-09-2003, 09:33 AM
Sounds exciting....thanks Carol!

graemlins/mickey.gif

Figment!
01-09-2003, 10:13 AM
I really do look forward to this attraction, however I do have one question:

If Donald is the star, then why is it called Mickey's PhiarMagic?!? :confused:

Am I the only person bafled by this?

(Also I think it belongs more in ToonTown Fair, but seeing as an Concert Hall has wouldn't work at a fair, and Fantasyland still works for Mickey, It is a suitable match, not the best, but a good one)

[ January 09, 2003, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: Figment! ]

big blue and hairy
01-09-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Figment!:
I really do look forward to this attraction, however I do have one question:

If Donald is the star, then why is it called Mickey's PhiarMagic?!? :confused:

Am I the only person bafled by this?

(My thought about that Mickey IS the conductor, but as always Donald thinks he can do the job better, then messes everything up. Sounds terrific to me, I can't wait!

roryjulie
01-09-2003, 12:46 PM
this sounds like a blast! i love donald and mickey together. they are the original formula for fun!

xipetotec
01-09-2003, 01:23 PM
I'm shivering with excitement!!

And going next Fed/march ( 2004 ) I'll be ther ejust in time for them to have worked out all the bugs :D

imported_PolyGirl40
01-09-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by big blue & hairy:
My thought about that Mickey IS the conductor, but as always Donald thinks he can do the job better, then messes everything up.That's the way I understand it too. Silly ol' Donald! graemlins/laughing.gif

longlivethepumpkins
01-09-2003, 02:04 PM
I thought this attraction was going to be a mix of 3-D and AA...I'm guessing I was wrong?

Womble
01-09-2003, 02:32 PM
I’m so glad Donald is going to be in it. He is one character; Walt drew, with some attitude problems, which makes Donald more loveable! (and funny!)

Toughbug
01-09-2003, 02:51 PM
I like it, but my only complaint is we are going in March and it won't be open.

WDWaddict
01-09-2003, 04:32 PM
I am really excited about this. Considering the fact that I have 2 small children, we are always forced to skip the 3-D shows. (freaks my boys out) The only show they have not been frightened of is Muppet-vision 3-D. They both LOVE Mickey and Donald so this sounds perfect for them. I can't wait. I think they need more Donald through out the parks. I kind of have a thing for him. graemlins/blush.gif

Figment!
01-09-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by longlivethepumpkins:
I thought this attraction was going to be a mix of 3-D and AA...I'm guessing I was wrong? Yes and No

The orginal rumour was that it would be both, but later actual info. and press releases revield it woudl just be 3-D.

But you never know, Disney could just be keeping it a secret, well just have to wait and see...

graemlins/mickey.gif

DizneyFreak2002
01-09-2003, 06:50 PM
I'm planning to go in October or November... Hopefully it is open by then...

disneyfreakgirl
01-09-2003, 07:36 PM
Well,this may be just the excuse I needed to go back to WDW this fall :D Sounds fun, can't wait to see it graemlins/mickey.gif

Disney-4-Me
01-09-2003, 07:47 PM
I was really hoping we would get to see this on our next vacation. I guess August isn't really fall though. Just another reason to go in October again, besides for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party! I think this sounds like a great show. I can't wait.
graemlins/mickey.gif

Remzlightyear
01-09-2003, 09:10 PM
Sounds good to me! graemlins/clappy.gif

goofy for pluto
01-09-2003, 09:42 PM
I can't wait to see this attraction! graemlins/thumbsup.gif I am also going to "the world"in March with my DS and we will be very sorry to miss it.
Sounds like a they combined The Three Caballeros,
{my DS favorite Disney film} and the Band Concert.
{one of mine} I also may have to plan another trip in the fall. Sounds to good to pass up.
Cheers to Disney, for coming up with a new attraction that everyone can enjoy. I think Walt would approve graemlins/clappy.gif
:D

singermom4
01-09-2003, 10:30 PM
Does this show require those funky glasses? Keeping glasses on a young child for any duration of time is next to impossible.

MrIMAX
01-09-2003, 11:09 PM
150-ft. wide, eh? Sounds like a dual 3D 70mm projection. :D

Or it's DLP. graemlins/ack.gif

[ January 09, 2003, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: MrIMAX ]

Jusjuice
01-09-2003, 11:34 PM

(Also I think it belongs more in ToonTown Fair, but seeing as an Concert Hall has wouldn't work at a fair, and Fantasyland still works for Mickey, It is a suitable match, not the best, but a good one) It does seem strange that the one Mickey-related attraction is located somewhere besides MICKEY'S ToonTown Fair. Im wondering if its kind of a tribute to the Mickey Mouse Revue that used to be in the same space, because it sounds really similar. (even though that was WAY before Toontown Fair was around.)

Edzter86
01-10-2003, 06:18 AM
Looks great! Can't wait to see it! :D graemlins/muscles.gif

SmartOne
01-10-2003, 10:40 AM
Sounds good to me......I was hoping for the summer, but this will have to do!

buzzloversmom
01-10-2003, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the info!

We're going either 11/03 or 05/04 and will be adding this to our Intercot Vacation Planner!!! graemlins/clappy.gif

graemlins/mickey.gif
Sandy

buzzloversmom
01-10-2003, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the info!

We're going either 11/03 or 05/04 and will definately be adding this to our Intercot Vacation Planner!!! graemlins/clappy.gif

graemlins/mickey.gif
Sandy

wdtrain
01-10-2003, 12:53 PM
This sounds GREAT ...I guess this means I must make another trip down in October to review this :D

ColtonsMom
01-10-2003, 01:14 PM
Does anyone have an estimated date this will open? We are looking to go later this year and would like to include this in our trip.

graemlins/rotfl.gif

iamaDnut
01-10-2003, 03:32 PM
I can't wait !!!! graemlins/muscles.gif

toystory817
01-10-2003, 05:56 PM
Just sittig down planning a trip for february school vacation.got back 2 days before christmas had a blast graemlins/mickey.gif we ar also going back for halloween party and hope this will be open then graemlins/clappy.gif

rbriskey
01-10-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by MrIMAX:
150-ft. wide, eh? Sounds like a dual 3D 70mm projection. :D

Or it's DLP. graemlins/ack.gif MrIMAX-
Please eloborate. I'd like to understand more about the projection technology. I once read some info from WDI which explained the 3D film technique using polarization (hence the need for glasses to "decode" it).
Thanks!

[ January 10, 2003, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: rbriskey ]

MrIMAX
01-10-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by rbriskey:
MrIMAX-
Please eloborate. I'd like to understand more about the projection technology. I once read some info from WDI which explained the 3D film technique using polarization (hence the need for glasses to "decode" it).
Thanks! No problem.

16mm, 35mm, 70mm:
There are 4 major film formats used in theaters today. 16mm film is used for short and independent films. The image is projected on the screen in a square shape. Since the film frame size is about the same size as a key on your computer keyboard, the quality dimishes depending on on how much magnification you use.

The commonly used film frame in many theaters today is 35mm. The size of one frame (it takes 24 of these frames to make one second, 25 in Europe) is slightly larger than a postage stamp. The image is projected on the screen in a rectangular shape.

70mm is rarely used in cinemas. There are 3 different 70mm formats. There is traditional 5-perf (Perfs are those holes on the ends of the film) 70mm, which means 5 perfs makes up one frame, projected as a wider rectangular shape. Then there is IMAX 15-perf 70mm, which one frame is almost as big as a Rubix cube. There is also IMAX 8-perf 70mm, which is not as common as 15-perf, but it's used in multiplexes. Remember, it's not the size of the film, but the quality of the image.

The 3D Process:
There are 2 different types of 3D projection. The one commonly used today is 3D Polarization. Here's how it works. Two film prints are required. One print is for your left eye and the other is for your right eye. The film prints will run through either dual projectors or a double-panel projector (Both images passing through the same projector). Before it hits the screen, both images pass through 2 filtered glasses which are the same in polarity with the glasses you use when watching the film. When you put on the glasses, your left eye will only see the left eye print and your right eye will only see the right eye print. Your brain does the rest of the work by fusing the two different images together and producing a 3 Dimensional image. There's more to this process, but this should either clear or add some confusion.

DLP (Digital Light Projection): :mad:
This is the machine that'll put many projectionists out of a job. Instead of using film, a digital image of pixels are projected onto the screen. The process is complicated, but it takes less preparation time since all that's needed to be done between shows is press a reset button (or nothing at all). That makes us film projectionists obsolete.

Well, if anyone else wants more info. Let me know!
smile.gif

Mufasa
01-10-2003, 08:53 PM
Nice job Mr. Imax giving a brief explanation of the various projection formats used commercially- In Disney's case of course, they had to do things a little differently and look to improve the technology.

Roughly 1980-81 is when Imagineering and Walt Disney Pictures in conjunction with Kodak looked at 3D films. (one of their researchers named Steve Hines did much of the design/development and has a website you can look at for more info). They produced a new 3D film rig to capture films using a 65mm format (mainly to take advantage of using the fantastic Mitchell FC or "Fox Camera" 65mm cameras). It's patented under Patent #4,557,570 if you really want to get geeky and look at the details.

Mitchell cameras are known for their superior pin registration system and are favorites in the special effects field, for technically demanding shots like motion control effects and the fact that they can shoot at very high frame rates beyond the standard 24 fps (the Mitchell FC itself can go up to 72 fps which is what the Disney process uses to get that clean, high-definition look when projected than standard film cameras can achieve).

These days 65mm 3D film projection is pretty much standard and adopted by the industry (and other companies like Iwerks have their own rigs these days that are used to do 3D films for either Imax 3D presentations and have been used on other theme park attractions like Terminator: 3D at Universal). Incidentally, Iwerks was founded by Don Iwerks (son of famed Disney animator Ub Iwerks). Don previously headed up the R&D group at Walt Disney Pictures and was instrumental in getting the Disney 3D rig developed (he left around 1986).

Even Imax where it's a 70mm format is usually first shot on 65mm stock for their 3D films (otherwise, the cameras would be too difficult to handle as was the case with early Imax 3D films) and then transferred to the 70mm-15 perf format (which is also what Disney happens to use for it's large-screen/Imax format adaptations of films like Fantasia 2000, or The Lion King). That's why you may notice the frame dimensions are almost slightly cropped for Disney's films (while IMAX themselves use a different method of transferring their stock to 70mm or it is already filmed using their proprietary 70mm cameras directly onto the film stock).

There are some differences and development being done as far as technical advances with polarization filters and eliminating that "ghosting" effect that typically occurs (and even other advancements like IMAX's liquid crystal shutter system as another method to reduce that effect).

There are even methods to project 3D films using a single projector and film strip (no longer the need to have two separate projection units) though it still needs to be refined.

As for projecting an image on such a large screen- there will be some surprises with Mickey's Philharmagic (since the screen will essentially change sizes in the performance) but take Terminator: 3D for an example- that presentation is done with 3 separate Iwerks rigs, with the screens set at roughly a 60 degree angle to immerse the audience. It would be impossible to display that using one projection unit.

On a side note for Mr. Imax- I don't envy your job as a projectionist (especially with that "bomb" suit you've gotta put on if you ever have to change out that 15,000 watt high-pressure xenon bulb. One of those things shatters and it is like a small grenade going off)

[ January 10, 2003, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: Mufasa ]

MrIMAX
01-10-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Mufasa:

On a side note for Mr. Imax- I don't envy your job as a projectionist (especially with that "bomb" suit you've gotta put on if you ever have to change out that 15,000 watt high-pressure xenon bulb. One of those things shatters and it is like a small grenade going off) First off, no one should be envious of my job. It's secluded, dark, and highly responsible (Each IMAX print is roughly $15,000). But it pays well, and it may help my chances in getting a job with WDI in the future.

The machine I work with is the IMAX GT Model 3D Classic. One projector capable of moving two prints at the same time with a 90 degree polariztion filter. It requires 2 of those evil xenon 15K watt bulbs and it takes 2 of us to change them out.

I've seen the IWERKS CDC 15/70 machines. They look interestingly similar to the IMAX Mark I GT projector and reel unit. They may be my competitor, but I think they still do a great job on 3D presentations and ride-films.

Back on track, this 3D presentation will probably still use the polarized filters and glasses. I don't think Disney will pitch the money for the LCD 3D Shutter glasses. They'll probably use a 7,000 watt xenon bulb to light it. Only the older model 15/70 machines require the liquid-cooled 15K bulbs.

Mufasa
01-10-2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by MrIMAX:
Back on track, this 3D presentation will probably still use the polarized filters and glasses. I don't think Disney will pitch the money for the LCD 3D Shutter glasses. They'll probably use a 7,000 watt xenon bulb to light it. Only the older model 15/70 machines require the liquid-cooled 15K bulbs. I don't think the LCD 3D shutter glasses are practical (it's a pain enough to maintain/clean them and you have to worry about whether they're properly charged and working so you'd have to station a CM in the performance to be able to run around and swap out faulty units and it would just detract from the whole show experience.)

Usually the low-tech option is the best solution. And you don't want guests walking off with a pair of them (considering how much they would each cost). Otherwise you'd have to put up those security/merchandise scanners at every entrance/exit and that would detract from the theming. You could care less if someone tries walking out with a pair of polarized glasses, though they usually stand out for looking stupid in the crowd (not to mention they probably get dizzy after a while thinking they're just like regular sunglasses).

My favorite comment overheard outside of 3D attractions- "hey... when I put these glasses on everything really stands out in 3D!" Umm... hate to tell them that you can see 3D just as well without the glasses on. It's like those stupid Osborne family lights "holographic" glasses they pass out where you see people wandering around like idiots looking at everything through them and going ooh and ahh... *sigh* graemlins/shakehead.gif

hubbyofadisneyholic
01-11-2003, 11:02 PM
Sounds awesome!! graemlins/clappy.gif graemlins/clappy.gif
Guess it won't be open when we go in June... :(
We will just have to find an "excuse" to go back later in the year..
Christmas maybe? :D

Freetime
01-12-2003, 01:18 PM
I'm now glad to we are planning a trip for May 2003 AND February 2004!!! We will miss it in May, but will "Be There" for 2004..

Thanks for the info on this new feature!

Tony

craiger41
01-12-2003, 10:40 PM
yeeehaaa can't wait graemlins/muscles.gif

Pongo
01-13-2003, 10:41 AM
We're going the last week of October so it looks like we'll get both this and Mission Space. This show sounds like it will be more my speed.

big blue and hairy
01-13-2003, 11:30 AM
I think it belongs more in ToonTown Fair, but seeing as an Concert Hall has wouldn't work at a fair, and Fantasyland still works for Mickey, It is a suitable match, not the best, but a good oneI can't think of anywhere in the Magic Kingdom where Mickey would be out of place, well, maybe Splash Mountain would be a little strange.... :D

Mulchpuppy
01-16-2003, 12:33 PM
Wow. This got a bit on the technical end, didn't it?

15K bulbs?!? I get nervous enough when I'm changing out a 2.5K bulb. Those things are like a small grenade going off. If you dropped a 15K, that sounds like it'd be closer to a nuke in the booth!

I am curious to see what way they plan to go, though. Univeral's Shrek is supposed to be digitally projected, so I wonder if Disney will follow their lead (actually, is ITTBAB on film or digital? Like Shrek, the source material would have been digital...).

Hey, MrIMAX - are you at the IMAX nextdoor to the Aquarium? I've been meaning to check that place out for a while, but the showtimes are never when I need them to be...

[ January 17, 2003, 01:19 AM: Message edited by: Mulchpuppy ]

MrIMAX
01-16-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Mulchpuppy:

Hey, MrIMAX - are you at the IMAX nextdoor to the Aquarium? I've been meaning to check that place out for a while, but the showtimes are never when I need them to be... Yes, that's where I work. I'm one of 4 projectionists there (but I'm not the chief). Make sure to see Lion King before April. It'll be gone after that.

<URL deleted due to TOS>

[ January 16, 2003, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: TiggerRPh ]

Chip126
03-07-2003, 08:16 PM
I think this is going to be awesome. I love the 3D films and this sounds like it will be a highlight on our next trip in December!!! graemlins/silly.gif

Remzlightyear
03-08-2003, 04:17 PM
Sounds terrific. I can't wait. graemlins/clappy.gif

Jeany031
03-09-2003, 01:22 PM
Mickey is the best than Donald. Mickey is better than anyone . graemlins/mickey.gif graemlins/mickey.gif

[ March 09, 2003, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: Jeany031 ]

jefmblrd
03-10-2003, 08:37 AM
My kids and I always enjoyed the Legend of the Lion King show, especially the huge Rafiki in the beginning, but I can't wait to see Mickey's Philharmagic! When I first heard about this show quite a while back, I thought it was a terrific idea. Mickey and Donald as well should be in more attractions around the parks. I can't wait to see it.