PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Resort Announces New Attractions

TiggerRPh
10-08-2002, 07:55 AM
Disney announces new attractions created to drive park attendance
Orange Country Register

An expansion of California Adventure and theatre shows are among the new additions.

The Disneyland Resort confronted a slumping economy head-on Monday by announcing major investments and new attractions created to drive attendance into the two Anaheim theme parks.

A Broadway-caliber theatrical production, the expansion of California Adventure with a child-oriented new land, the addition of a kids' stage show based on Disney Channel characters, and the unveiling of a long-awaited Winnie the Pooh attraction in Disneyland are expected to boost attendance, which is down 6 percent at Disney parks worldwide.

"We're not going to turn around the economy, but we can continue to be ready and build our asset base to be more inviting as a place for families to visit," said Jay Rasulo, Disney's new chairman of theme parks and resorts.

The Disneyland Resort enters a whole new world in December by introducing high-caliber theater to a theme-park audience. "Aladdin, Live on Stage" opens Dec. 9 in Disney's California Adventure, with a star-studded production crew that includes Oscar-winning composer Alan Menken.

"This is part of our fundamental strategy to always continue to grow up and change (the parks)," said Rasulo, who took over this month for the departing Paul Pressler. "We are on the right path to develop new lands and attractions to allow guests to enjoy our product with their families.

"It is our job to do that in an exciting, relevant way, and one we're doing quite well."

Roland
10-08-2002, 09:04 AM
"We're not going to turn around the economy, but we can continue to be ready and build our asset base to be more inviting as a place for families to visit," said Jay Rasulo, Disney's new chairman of theme parks and resorts.
Psst! Mr. Rasulo, over here, closer, to your right, perfect!!! graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Could you do the same for Orlando? graemlins/clappy.gif

Wow, this sounds great!!! I hope he is allowed to keep up some momentum and prepare for the future at WDW.

Good job, Mr. Rasulo!!!

Figment!
10-08-2002, 09:13 AM
Sounds preety good to me

What new land are they talking about for DCA though, A Bug's Land?, as I belive it is being called, but they have already announced that......

I certaintly wlecome the other new attractions, I just wished they had not taken out CBJ for it.

MrGoofy
10-08-2002, 09:30 AM
OK, not to be party pooper but, were not these attractions already coming? With or without the change with Pressler?

This is a good forum to introduce himself to Disney Fans as the new big cheese, but these attractions aren't a surprise.

When he announces a new mountain or the changing of DCA to Disney's America out of nowhere, then I will be impressed.

On an up side, he had some very smart words about investing in the future. Even if a publicist wrote his speech, Disney is coming to grips with the fact that they need new attractions and investments to keep people coming back.

imported_Melanears
10-08-2002, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by TiggerRPh:
[b]"Aladdin, Live on Stage" opens Dec. 9 in Disney's California Adventure, with a star-studded production crew that includes Oscar-winning composer Alan Menken.Alan Menken graemlins/thumbsup.gif This sounds like high quality stuff. Aladdin is my fav Disney movie. I would love to see this production.

[ October 08, 2002, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: Melanears ]

Ian
10-08-2002, 09:54 AM
Gotta agree with Mr. Goofy ... All I hear in this is some stuff that was already in the works, some cheap new stage shows, and a "kiddie land" that will probably be the DCA equivalent of Dino-Rama in AK.

Nothing here impresses me at all.

BrerGnat
10-08-2002, 03:25 PM
Yeah, all this has already been announced. Flik's Fun Fair (part of A Bug's Land) officially opened to the public yesterday (10/7). Tower of Terror has been under construction for about 4 months, the new Aladdin "broadway" show was announced shortly after the departure of Blast, at the Hyperion Theater...

What bothers me about these additions is that NONE of them are in keeping with the "California" theme, except for The Hollywood Tower of Terror attraction. They just keep throwing blatant Disney movie tie-in attractions, which really belong in Disneyland, NOT California Adventure...

HOWEVER, I will not complain about the additions because at least they are ADDITIONS, not subtractions, and not nothing at all.

Those of you wondering why Disneyland is getting so much attention over WDW, well, just take a trip here and see for yourself how much attendance at the DLR has been struggling because Disneyland has not gotten something new for AGES, and DCA is just not up to par yet.

Roland
10-08-2002, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by BrerGnat:
Those of you wondering why Disneyland is getting so much attention over WDW, well, just take a trip here and see for yourself how much attendance at the DLR has been struggling because Disneyland has not gotten something new for AGES, and DCA is just not up to par yet.Apparently, you're not alone in your thoughts. Look at this article.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/818368.asp

kansasteen13
10-08-2002, 08:20 PM
I think it is about time DLR got some attention,lately it has all gone to WDW besides WDW is getting 2 new attractions next year and from the pics I have seen a Bugs Land looks GREAT.also please tell me how does Pirates of the Carribean fit into an Aladdin themed adventureland?

DizneyFreak2002
10-09-2002, 08:11 PM
Well now that there wasan official press release from Disney regarding Disneyland, maybe sometime soon, there will be an official press release regarding WDW.

Sam Pinizzotto
10-10-2002, 10:10 AM
New Pooh ride..????

Is that going to replace Mr. Toad??? :(

TiggerRPh
10-10-2002, 10:36 AM
Actually I think it's replacing the Country Bears.

Ian
10-10-2002, 01:10 PM
The interesting part of that story is when the writer marvels at how cheap and carny the new land feels. It seems even now Disney is just not getting it. They are just not going to lure people to a fabulously expensive resort with off-the-shelf garbage like this.

I mean I can't believe they don't get it. How did they possibly get this lost?

Roland
10-10-2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by WDWacky:
I mean I can't believe they don't get it. How did they possibly get this lost?Ian, I don't think they are lost at all. I think they are right where they want to be in the lower costs, higher profit margins arena. Notice I said, higher profit margins.

I understand that there is a nationally accepted compensation formula that awards bonuses to CEO's based on several factors. I am beginning to think that profit margins are one rung up on profit revenues.

They're not lost, they're not dumb, they're not deaf. They're greedy.

BrerGnat
10-10-2002, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by WDWacky:
The interesting part of that story is when the writer marvels at how cheap and carny the new land feels. It seems even now Disney is just not getting it. They are just not going to lure people to a fabulously expensive resort with off-the-shelf garbage like this.

I mean I can't believe they don't get it. How did they possibly get this lost?You know, Ian, you bring up a good point. You would have though they "got it" when they saw how much of a bust DCA was OVERALL, since 90% of the attractions are "off the shelf" rides... :rolleyes:

So, then, the only LOGICAL choice to FIX it would be to install 5 more OFF THE SHELF RIDES...right?

All I can say on the subject of DCA is "when will they ever learn?" It is sad when the average visitor walks up to the ticket gates for a ONE DAY visit and is met with the following options:

One-Day Disneyland Admission $45

One-Day Disney's California Adventure Admission $45

One-Day Park Hopper Ticket $69

The choice is pretty clear for the one day (value conscious) theme park goer.