PDA

View Full Version : DisneySea Quickest to 10 Million Visitors

TiggerRPh
07-08-2002, 07:30 AM
Disney's new Japan theme park hosts 10 million visitors in shortest time
Sun Jul 7,11:20 PM ET

TOKYO - Walt Disney Co.'s newest amusement park in Japan welcomed its ten-millionth visitor since opening last year — reaching the milestone in the shortest time recorded so far, a spokeswoman said Monday.

The new mark came Sunday, 307 days after the DisneySea amusement park's Sept. 4 opening, said Oriental Land Co. spokeswoman Marie Iwamoto.

Oriental Land Co. is the Japanese developer that operates DisneySea and the older Tokyo Disneyland, which are built next to each other in a suburb of Japan's capital.

The previous shortest period needed to attract 10 million guests at any amusement park in the world was in March, 338 days after the opening of a Universal Studios facility in the western Japanese city of Osaka, according to figures monitored by Oriental Land.

Iwamoto said that Tetsuya Goto, a civil servant from Oita prefecture (state) in southwestern Japan, received a certificate marking the milestone Sunday. He was visiting DisneySea with five other family members.

The park's attractions include a roller coaster that shoots through a tunnel filled with luminescent creatures and "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea," a ride over an artificial water terrain of anemone and coral viewed through bubbly glass.

Of the 10 million visitors at DisneySea, Iwamoto said that nearly 97 percent were Japanese, while the remainder cam from abroad, mostly other Asian countries.

lens300
07-08-2002, 02:51 PM
I guess when you spend the money and let the imagineers do there stuff this is the result.
I hope the parent company learned something from this.

mjstaceyuofm
07-08-2002, 02:54 PM
Welcome lens300! You said it exactly.

if you build it, they will come.

TheRustyScupper
07-08-2002, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by lens300:
... when you spend the money and let the imagineers do there stuff ...Just remember that it was Oriental Land Co that spent the big money, not Disney.

DisneyWizard
07-08-2002, 03:34 PM
Money is money - no matter who spends it.

DCA was empty for the first year it was opened and DisneySeas hits 10million people. Hmm.... graemlins/idea.gif

Figment!
07-08-2002, 03:41 PM
Just Proves that the problem is Pre$$ler and his regime rather than WDI!!!

GrumpyFan
07-08-2002, 05:40 PM
I would think that this is kind of a slap in the face to the Disney execs here in the US. Of course, they'll probably just write off those numbers to the fact that this is in Japan where there is a much denser population. graemlins/shakehead.gif

kansasteen13
07-08-2002, 09:03 PM
Grumpy don't give them any ideas.Also I find it very interesting that DCA had a rough start but since more money was spent more people went.

Jusjuice
07-08-2002, 11:25 PM
Florida DisneySea- just as much potentual, but disney could make all the profit if they spent all the money. They could even create another hotel Miracosta in Orlando that would make Universal's Portifino Bay look like a Holiday Inn!

roses
07-09-2002, 12:02 AM
Well, I'm glad to hear that they are doing well over there. Now lets hope that Disney takes this into consideration and uses this for the furture.

Great Job DisneySea!!!!