PDA

View Full Version : Epcot First to Display the Segway™ Human Transport

imported_JohnY
05-20-2002, 10:21 AM
Innoventions at Epcot at the Walt Disney World Resort Is First to Display the Segway™ Human Transporter

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Walt Disney World Resort and Segway LLC have partnered for the first public display of the Segway™ Human Transporter (HT) at Innoventions at Epcot, the ever-changing theme park of discovery. Guests can now see this innovative short-distance transportation technology firsthand through a display inside of Innoventions, which includes interactive stations and daily demonstrations on how the product works.

The Segway HT is the world's first self-balancing human transporter that allows people to go farther, move more quickly and increase the amount they can carry anywhere a person can walk. Its advanced technology uses gyroscopes and tilt sensors to emulate human balance. When a person leans slightly forward, the Segway HT moves forward. When leaning back, the Segway HT moves back. Riders can travel up to 12.5 mph with a distance that ranges 17 miles on a single charge.

"We're delighted to showcase this amazing personal transportation device to millions of Epcot guests," said Mike Gomes, director of Innoventions at Walt Disney World Resort. "Like much of the advanced technology displayed at Innoventions, the Segway HT is sure to inspire many of our guests as they envision the machine's potential to transform the world in which we live."

Dean Kamen, inventor of the Segway HT, added, "Epcot's Innoventions is the ideal arena for people to see the Segway HT up close and discover its possibilities. It's a place with the ability to drive your imagination to discover and experience true innovations."

Innoventions, Epcot's technology playground, allows guests to experience many of the breakthroughs in science and technology that have affected many of our lives. The Segway HT display adds to the advanced technology that is showcased every day at Innoventions.

About Innoventions
Located in the heart of Epcot, Innoventions continuously transforms itself to represent the ever-changing world of technology. Here, Disney celebrates the breakthroughs in science and technology that inspire us in the new millennium -- everything from exploratory medicine to personal global communications to the ultimate in home entertainment. At Innoventions, guests are entertained while they discover tomorrow's technology today through hands-on experiences that activate the imagination and renew our hope for a better tomorrow.

About Epcot
Epcot allows guests to travel to four continents, explore land and sea adventures, experience future technologies today and journey into their imagination -- all in one vacation. Epcot is the celebration of human achievement and discovery.

About Segway
Segway LLC is a Manchester, N.H.-based business founded by renowned inventor and entrepreneur Dean Kamen to provide a solution to short-distance travel. The company has created the Segway" Human Transporter (HT), the first self-balancing, electric-powered transporter designed to enhance the productivity of people by increasing the distance they can travel and the amount they can carry. For additional information about Segway, please visit www.segway.com. (http://www.segway.com.) Press releases and digital images are available at Segway's press center at www.segway.com/news. (http://www.segway.com/news.)

imported_dpamac
05-20-2002, 02:28 PM
Dean Kamen + Epcot= Geek Heaven

BigDisneyDad
05-20-2002, 02:50 PM
The A.P.D. (Atlanta Police Department) has been using them in the downtown area for a few months now.

Jeff Handshaw 100+visits
05-20-2002, 09:05 PM
This is what Epcot Innovations was spost to be like, showing off cutting edge technology (not old playstation video games).

Katmegali
05-20-2002, 11:10 PM
We saw it at Epcot when we were there at the end of april. Couldn't get dh away from it :rolleyes: ;)

Captainhook1974
05-21-2002, 06:36 AM
Only thing is..I think these are going to get really annoying if in 10-15 years we have a bunch of people that don't feel like walking..cruising around the parks...Bad enough with Strollers and Wheelchairs...But can you imagine a whole family coming into the parks on these...I hope they are outlawed from Disney actually...

I do think it's a cool ide for Epcot to show them off...LIke I said though..I hope they aren't allowed to be used in the parks ever...enough congestion as there is....

People just like to find ways to get lazier every day

Mr. Brass Bonanza
05-21-2002, 08:20 AM
These will eventually fuel the obesity epidemic we have in this country. Every step you take burns calories. The HT will serve well people who have trouble walking or carrying things, but in other cases, it will showcase the epitome of laziness.

However, YES...this is what Innoventions is all about! smile.gif

mzchaoz
05-21-2002, 01:11 PM
I think it is great that Epcot Innovations is finally showing something that is truly an innovation. The Segway HT I do not think is going to contribute to the fatting of America and I do not think that people are going to go out and buy the Segway HT just to tool around WDW. The Segway HT is not an inexpensive thing to buy. Also the inventor of The Segway HT meant for it to be used in cities instead of cars.
graemlins/idea.gif graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Lucille
05-21-2002, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by mzchaoz:
Also the inventor of The Segway HT meant for it to be used in cities instead of cars.
This is the part about the whole Segway thing I don't get. I live in the city and I can't see this invention as being practical at all. If bicycles are not allowed on sidewalks (and there have been incidents of people being ticketed lately), why would a Segway. And I couldn't imagine them in the street. It seems to me if people want an alternitive to a car or walking, they would buy a motor cycle, scooter or bicycle.

Just my 2cents. graemlins/mickey.gif graemlins/mickey.gif

ifihadwings
05-21-2002, 02:10 PM
I was at Disneyland last week and they had a guy on a Segway scooting around near the Matterhorn bobsleds. Pretty cool. I asked him if I could try it and he said no. I knew he would say that but had to ask anyway. He said it took about 12 minutes to master.
ifihadwings

BrerGnat
05-21-2002, 02:14 PM
Actually, a few weekends ago, some CM's at Disneyland were cruising around Tomorrowland showing them off. Regular guests could not ride them, but the CM's were there to answer questions and show how it works. They were contemplating putting it in the Innoventions there, but I haven't been in there recently enough to see if they ever did.

So, technically Disneyland had them first, but WDW is DISPLAYING them first.

Jeff Handshaw 100+visits
05-21-2002, 09:25 PM
27th of April I believe was when we say one IN USE at WDW.

[ May 21, 2002, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: Jeff Handshaw 100+visits ]

Crow
05-21-2002, 11:36 PM
New stuff at Epcot graemlins/thumbsup.gif
w this & Figment & Mission Space ..........glad some things are happenin at my fav park..(well this & MGM)

Freetime
05-23-2002, 03:56 AM
I just got back from WDW on the 12th of May and I saw the Segway there being shown and used. I have a son-in-law that is paralized on one side. He can walk, but not quickly, nor without difficulty. I saw that and instantly thought it would be great for him. It can go up to 12.5mph... but it can also go slower and even stop so he and my daughter can "walk" hand in hand together without her having to support him from the possibility of falling or enable him to "run" with the children.

In spite of those that only see "congestion" at the parks or cities. I see possiblities for benefit.

Tony

JimmyC
05-23-2002, 10:22 AM
OK, do not take this wrong, I am not against this device. I do not see it fueling obesity any more than cars, mopeds, or motored skooters currently popular.

But, like I said, don't take this wrong,

The picture on the Intercot Homepage.

Am I the only one who saw the strange/brain-chipped smile, low-budget sci-fi outfit, and thought "Wow, that looks like a recruiting poster for some strange Cult" :eek:

Riiiideee the Segwaaayyyyy...... joooiiinnn ussss withhh easyyyy paymentttt plaaaannnn...the mothership will be here sooooonnnnn.....

mzchaoz
05-23-2002, 05:08 PM
Am I the only one who saw the strange/brain-chipped smile, low-budget sci-fi outfit, and thought "Wow, that looks like a recruiting poster for some strange Cult JimmyC you didn't you know that we are all members of one of the biggest cults ever? The cult of Disney. graemlins/thedolls.gif graemlins/mickey.gif

TwoTinyWings
05-23-2002, 10:19 PM
We saw one in use last week (Thursday, I think) in the plaza between Communicores (sorry -- Innoventions smile.gif ). There was a male CM riding it and showing it off, and there was quite a crowd gathered around watching him go. I agree that it was pretty cool to see something like this -- a new invention, and not a product on the market -- and watching the awed looks on the other guests' faces was pretty cool. :D

Like others have said, the CM said guests weren't allowed to try it out, so there were plenty of "what does it feel like?" questions asked. One guest in the crowd asked what would happen if a Segway bumped into someone, and the CM told her it would come to an immediate stop, due to the HT's balance mechanism. To illustrate, he had her put out a hand to "bump" it -- she initially put out two, but the CM said, "No, just one" -- at least she go to come in contact with it at all! graemlins/doubleeek.gif

I'm thinking that, though I seriously doubt most "normal folks" will be zipping around cities or WDW parks in these, I can really see them as being useful for police and med tech types, especially in a place as vast as WDW. Someone in the crowd did ask about potential use by handicapped individuals, but the CM explained that the HT was designed for able-bodied individuals -- Kamen's other Innoventions-showcased product (the wheelchair in the House of Tomorrow) was designed specifically for those with special needs.

Of course, before we left we had to snap a picture for posterity! :D

kansasteen13
05-30-2002, 10:16 PM
when we went to Epcot we saw Cast Members roaming the park on these. I like them.

Victor Kelly
05-30-2002, 11:43 PM
I think it is a neat idea. And EPCOT is actually fulfilling its role in showing the thing.

But I have to say that I would be against it's use in the Parks and resorts. First off the motorized wheelchairs are already being abused by able bodied people. People with disabilities I have no problem with, they have the same rights as me. But the people that abuse the motorized wheelchairs give the others that need them bad reputations. Not only that, the people that need the motorized wheelchairs can't get them. :(

An example: In EPCOT in OCt 01 I saw 10 people in a single family zipping around all day in the Motorized wheelchairs. It was a wheelchair convoy. And the bad thing is none of them needed them. Whenever they got to where they were going they hopped, yes hopped up and sometimes ran to get ahead of people. graemlins/nono.gif

CinderellyCinderelly
05-31-2002, 09:59 AM
I don't know, maybe its just me, but I think these things are kinda silly. Ya they are neat but I really don't see how they are going to rock our worlds. I understand the technology behind it but still to me it looks like any other scooter. I think we have enough vehicles out there congesting our streets. Now even the sidewalks will be? I guess it just seems rather impractical like someone else above mentioned. Now for someone with a disability I could see it being of use for them. But just for an everyday scoot around? Eh....I'll pass.

MaryburkS
06-03-2002, 05:18 PM
Hey!! I almost got run over by one of those things at EPCOT last thursday!! graemlins/silly.gif

Wooly_ºoº
07-15-2002, 05:17 PM
I have no problem with Segways being used in the parks. If its the personal transportation of the future, so be it, bring it on. As far as people getting lazier and more obeise, can they get any lazier. If someone can't be bothered to walk from point A to B, he'll find some mode of transportation to get him there, be it taxi, bus or rickshaw. I think it's time to get used to the fact that these things are going to be popular when they are released, and the idea of 'Them new fangled things....' won't stop that. Sorry, but I'm just a big kid that loves new toys. I gotta have one tongue.gif

Disney-4-Me
07-16-2002, 03:47 PM
I was there April 25-29 and saw it being demonstrated at Epcot. It was really cool but I don't think we are in any danger of being run over by a Segway until/unless the price comes down considerably! Most of us would rather spend our entertainment dollars on another Disney trip! graemlins/mickey.gif