PDA

View Full Version : Disney cross stitch kits

flippr7
02-04-2003, 10:46 PM
I bought my first Disney cross stitch kit last year when I was at Pleasure island. It is the one of Cinderella Castle and Tinkerbell. I was just wondering if there was anyone else out here who collects Disney cross stitch kits and how do they like them. :D

graemlins/mickey.gif Dana
College Program
Haunted Mansion '88
Great Movie Ride '89
Yearly visitor with my DH and two kids

graemlins/mickey.gif graemlins/mickey.gif graemlins/mickey.gif

Beast_fanatic
02-04-2003, 11:20 PM
I don't have any of the Disney cross stitch kits, but I remembered a post from a while back asking about some, so I figured at least a few people must collect them!

Here's a link to that post (http://www.intercot.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=003124#000000). :D

Pongo
02-05-2003, 08:36 AM
I'm not a big fan of the kits. I don't think they have enough detail. I found a bunch of old Disney patterns that are just wonderful. Lots of the old characters.

Piglet822
02-07-2003, 11:16 PM
I just recently started the Castle w/ Tinkerbell. What a beautiful piece it will be when completed.
I've got to ask you though, if you have any hints for the metallic floss in the fireworks? It's driving me absolutely nuts. (Not a far drive, I can assure you). smile.gif

flippr7
02-11-2003, 12:56 AM
Jeanne, you know, graemlins/blush.gif I haven't even started it yet. Bad Dana! It is my next project in the pile though, right after I finish a friend's baby sampler. Are the fireworks giving you are hard time?

graemlins/mickey.gif Dana
College Program
Haunted Mansion '88
Great Movie Ride '89
Yearly visitor with my Dh and two kids

graemlins/mickey.gif graemlins/mickey.gif graemlins/mickey.gif

ElenitaB
02-11-2003, 04:44 PM
I started mine also but have yet to finish it! There are others available including Mickey doing a self-portrait in the Normal Rockwell style. However, if I buy anymore of these and actually attempt to do the, I'll make myself blind! :rolleyes:

bemster
02-11-2003, 05:22 PM
My only tip for the metallic floss is to skip it! I figured I would go back and do all of that last. Also, I use a lot more of the metallic floss than I do of the other stuff, because it shreds so easily, so I try to keep it longer than I do with the regular floss. There's no easy way, but I think my piece is starting to look really good-I can't wait to finish!

Piglet822
02-12-2003, 02:29 AM
It's not so much that the metallic is giving me a hard time as it is I hate working with that stuff, lol. It's coming along very nicely actually I'm almost completed with one of the fireworks and being that it's starting to take shape, I actually feel like I'm getting somewhere.
Ellen, why do you feel as if you're going blind? The graph or the fabric? The graph I took to Kinko's and had it enlarged, those squares were way too small for this little blind girl ;) Of course if the dog hadn't eaten my glasses (that's another post) I might have the right bi-focals and be able to see the darn thing, lol.
Being that it's a dark fabric, it is a bit harder to work on so make sure you have a good light source. I think if the light is behind the fabric it would make it easier.
Dana, shame on you graemlins/nono.gif You must start your castle. I know, you're waiting for us to finish so we can share our stitching secrets with you graemlins/rotfl.gif
Smart girl graemlins/thumbsup.gif

[ February 12, 2003, 02:30 AM: Message edited by: Piglet822 ]

Nicola Ross
02-12-2003, 08:28 AM
Well I finished my castle some time ago, and even if I say so myself, it looks great!!

Keep going with the metallic floss, the fireworks look great when they are done, I did run out of the green metallic floss early on and ended up having to buy extra, (could find the make they used in the kit, but got almost the same one by another make, you may be able to get it in America though!)

I found that colouring the pattern with a highlighter pen as I did each part helped me see what I had left to do, and you can still see the pattern afterwards!

I have also done the kit with Mickey and Minnie on the bench, and the self portrait! I would like to do the barbershop quartet but I can't seem to find it anymore! Not so keen on the dinner one with lots of characters!
I was hoping disney would bring out kits of all the parks icons, ie the hat, for mgm, the tree for animal kingdom and the epcot ball, but no sign yet!

Can you tell I love to cross stitch? ! :D

Piglet822
02-12-2003, 02:53 PM
Oh, I would love to stitch the Sorcerer's hat. I love the colors in that. I wonder if suggestions were sent to either Disney or Stoney Brook about other Disney kits, if they would consider it. We could always try, couldn't hurt that's for sure.
I do exactly what you've recommended and have done so for years, highlighting where I've been. it does make it so much easier. That's why I photocopy my graph. In this case it needed to be enlarged but any other time it's just so that I can mark the graph up without ruining the original. I also find that when you have to continually fold the paper, it does get damaged but if I can throw it away when I'm done, it doesn't matter.

buzzloversmom
02-13-2003, 12:46 PM
I haven't seen any of these yet? Can you buy them elsewhere besides WDW? I'm trying to get my daughter interested in cross-stitch and I know that these would be just the motivation she needs. Besides, they sound great. She'll probably have to fight me for them.

Thanks!
Sandy graemlins/mickey.gif

bemster
02-13-2003, 02:10 PM
No, you can't buy them anywhere besides Disney. But I think you can call Disney Merchandising and order them that way. I don't know the number, but I know it's around here somewhere!

Piglet822
02-13-2003, 08:45 PM
Hi Sandy. The number for WDW Merchandising is (407) 363-6200. The kits are made by Stoneybrook and are exclusive to Walt Disney.
You don't mention how old your daughter is but I get the impression that she's a novice stitcher. These kits may be a little too much for a beginner to learn on. The castle cross stitch has quite a bit of metallic thread which is not real easy to work with but if she's got a lot of patience she should be okay.
Good luck!!

SgtTigger
02-15-2003, 11:11 PM
My wife is sitting here doing hers as I type this. She has the castle done, 2 small fireworks and most of tink done.
She bought this one in june and she got it as a birthday gift (from me ) in Sep. We bought the self portrait one in Nov. I am sure she will be starting on that one soon.
Keep us informed of your progress....

graemlins/doubleeek.gif graemlins/mickey.gif