PDA

View Full Version : What's with the finger scans?

Lindsey
07-30-2002, 08:38 PM
Ok, I hope this isn't too silly of a question! :confused: What type of tickets are people using at WDW that require them to have their fingers/finger prints scanned? I have never paid much attention to it before but my husband asked me last night and I didn't know the answer! He was shocked! :eek: graemlins/laughing.gif

CJDDS
07-30-2002, 08:42 PM
I believe these are for the Annual Passholders.

graemlins/mickey.gif

Lindsey
07-30-2002, 08:48 PM
Ah ha! That was the guess I gave my husband, but wasn't sure of it. I just got a PAP but haven't used it yet.

ajjamz ABC
07-30-2002, 08:51 PM
I think they are for park hopper too. And Fla Res seasonal pass holders.

CJDDS
07-30-2002, 08:55 PM
We've always used parkhoppers, and never had to use a finger scan, but I guess there's a first time for everything.

graemlins/mickey.gif

ajjamz ABC
07-30-2002, 09:01 PM
Im prob. wrong on the Parkhopper. I just seem to rember my Wife having to do it. But was a seasonal pass As i think of it. I just flash a Card and they hit 2 buttons and im in lol.

wDwMarly
07-30-2002, 09:40 PM
Yup, guyz, it's Florida Resident Annual Passholders. Me and the family has them and EVERY time we enter the park we haveta do them.

Actually, they arn't a finger scan, it's more like a bone structure scan. Inside is a little triangle of sensors and you have to put you fingers in a "peace sign" and press them together and push up against the sensors.

Hope this helps!!!
graemlins/mickey.gif

MouseHead
07-30-2002, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by wDwMarly:
Yup, guyz, it's Florida Resident Annual Passholders. Me and the family has them and EVERY time we enter the park we haveta do them.

Actually, they arn't a finger scan, it's more like a bone structure scan. Inside is a little triangle of sensors and you have to put you fingers in a "peace sign" and press them together and push up against the sensors.

[snip]*****

This is true....Us FL Res.AP holders have to go through the *finger scanner*......This is always a prob. for my DD graemlins/doubleeek.gif as she has a crooked index & middle finger....Each time she is scanned she has to re-do the scan....apparently her fingers were in at somewhat different angle/position during the *original scan* :rolleyes:
graemlins/mickey.gif

SpecJoe Magic
07-31-2002, 03:04 AM
We had to do the finger/bone structure scan this past trip. It is the first time we have ever gotten Annual Passes. I had no problem with the scan, but the machine doesn't read some people as well.

imported_Melanears
07-31-2002, 09:12 AM
Back in March, my DH had to have a finger scan with his Salute to the Military ticket.

Katmegali
07-31-2002, 09:22 AM
My dh and I also had to have our fingers scanned with the Military Salute tickets. It was funny because the person at the gate would get frustrated with dh because it would never scan right for him. Why it wouldn't will be one of the great mysteries. :eek:

ElenitaB
07-31-2002, 09:26 AM
Oh... I'm glad that I finally got some instructions on how to do the scan properly! graemlins/crazy.gif It only worked twice for me on our last trip (our first time with APs) — the first time and the very last time!

DisneyTeen
07-31-2002, 10:00 AM
I had to do it as a cast member, with my cast member ID.

DarkRider
07-31-2002, 04:35 PM
We bought APs this year and had to use the finger scan. My poor DW. It would just never work right for her.

Disney-4-Me
08-01-2002, 02:39 PM
My sister had to have the scan with her Salute to the Military pass in April too. She also experienced trouble with the scan.

Lindsey
08-01-2002, 04:38 PM
I've noticed people have trouble with them, I hope I don't have to much trouble! :rolleyes:

GrandFlo
08-01-2002, 05:42 PM
Last time we went down, my DH had the America Heros pass and he had to use the finger scan. Everyone else I saw using this got in 123. It took my DH many many times for it to work. Some days I would just go ahead into the park and rent a stroller and DH was still at the turnstile. graemlins/crazy.gif The CMs were getting so fustrated.

Why exactly do they use this scan? I'm assuming it's so that AP holders to not lend out their passes??? :confused:

mickclub1955
08-01-2002, 10:05 PM
I was told that it measures the width between your two fingers which identifies you because supposedly no two peoples are alike. That is how they know that someone else isn't using your Annual Pass.

Womble
08-05-2002, 11:38 AM
After the graemlins/ack.gif machines were put in Disney found they did not work as well as they did in the tests. BUT they had spent so much money on them they would not rip them out. CM’s have told this to me on several occasions, over the years, when my AP refuses to let me in! graemlins/shakehead.gif

Lindsey
08-05-2002, 11:53 AM
So what happens if the scan flat-out won't work? Can you just show a CM some ID to prove that the AP is yours???

Mary Poppins
08-05-2002, 12:01 PM
I've tried using my AP 5 times now and not once has the finger scan worked. Each time the CM tells me they've re-set it so the next it should work. So maybe on the 6th try in a couple of weeks it will though I won't hold my breath graemlins/shakehead.gif All they do then is check my driver's license and let me in. My husband on the other hand has never had a problem.

[ August 10, 2002, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: Mary Poppins ]

Jul
08-05-2002, 12:03 PM
I was just there this past week and I started talking to a girl in line for the monorail at Epcot. (We were on our way over to the Magic Kingdom) She works for IBM in Innoventions and she said that she can get into all of the parks with her IBM ID card. When we got to the gates at MK, she put here card through and then she had to do the finger scan thing. It seemed to work for her.

TinkRocks
08-10-2002, 07:33 AM
When I was in WDW in Feb., I asked a CM what the purpose of the finger scan was. I was told that the machine took an image of your bone structure. This apparently prevents others from using that pass/ticket. I don't think it matters what kind of ticket/pass you are using - between the few of us that were visiting WDW, we had a variety of passes (FLA discount passes, park hoppers, etc.) and we all had to go through the finger scan.

My Mum and I had accidentally gotten our passes mixed up one morning and didn't realize 'til after we had gone through the entrance gates. We didn't encounter any difficulties with the finger scanners though.

Things that make you go hmmm...