PDA

View Full Version : Walt Disney: Ford Pavilion at 64-65 Worlds Fair

Vito
05-25-2002, 11:32 PM
For those of you who don't know yet, the foundation for many of Disney World's attractions began at the 1964-1965 New York World's Fair. In many ways, the Fair was like Epcot, and Walt and WED were involved in the creation of several pavilions at the fair.

I've always been extremely fascinated by the New York World's Fair. I'm so disappointed that it came at a time when I wasn't even born yet, and there will never be anything like it again. It represented an interesting time in our history, the beginning of the space age, and it incorporated many aspects that Walt envisioned for the future.

While browsing websites on the Fair, I came across the site of all sites about the World's Fair. Here's a link:

http://www.nywf64.com/

Seemingly one of the most "Disney" pavilions at the Fair was the Ford pavilion, which was pretty much the ancestor for World of Motion, Spaceship Earth and Universe of Energy. After reading the information and looking at the pictures of this pavilion, I find myself longing for a time machine to have the ability to go back and visit the Fair. I could probably spend weeks there... some 150+ different pavilions representing different states, countries, and corporations. In many ways, Walt and WED Enterprises were a driving force behind the biggest attractions at the Fair.

Here's a link to the Ford pavilion - be sure to check it out (it's several pages long, be sure to click the little "next page" links at the bottom of each page)

http://www.nywf64.com/ford01.html

If anyone had the opportunity to visit the World's Fair I would love to hear any stories or memories you have of it. I have a few other links if anyone is interested - some show photos of what's left of the remians of the fair today - old broken down buildings, parts of the "space park" area, and of course the observation towers. It's surreal looking at the now empty buildings and structures that once were a bustling with the activity of the Fair.

rbriskey
05-27-2002, 12:41 AM
Being an "amateur Disney Historian", I also have great interest in the '64 World's Fair. It was really a turning poing for Walt and WED. The corporate funding really allowed for innovation. For example, originally PoTC DL was going to be a walk-through wax museum, but because of the advancements made in Audio-Animatronic technology at the '64 Worlds Fair, it became the famous boat ride it is today, complete with life-like A-A Pirates.
Like you, I'd love an opportunity to board a time-machine to visit the '64 Worlds Fair.
Perhaps Timekeeper could help us??

Again, like you, I really wish World's Fairs were still being held. It was a great showcase for corporations to display new technologies, and for the public to drool over them.

MouseHead
05-30-2002, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Vito:
For those of you who don't know yet, the foundation for many of Disney World's attractions began at the 1964-1965 New York World's Fair. In many ways, the Fair was like Epcot, and Walt and WED were involved in the creation of several pavilions at the fair.

I've always been extremely fascinated by the New York World's Fair. I'm so disappointed that it came at a time when I wasn't even born yet, and there will never be anything like it again. It represented an interesting time in our history, the beginning of the space age, and it incorporated many aspects that Walt envisioned for the future.

While browsing websites on the Fair, I came across the site of all sites about the World's Fair. Here's a link:

http://www.nywf64.com/

Seemingly one of the most "Disney" pavilions at the Fair was the Ford pavilion, which was pretty much the ancestor for World of Motion, Spaceship Earth and Universe of Energy. After reading the information and looking at the pictures of this pavilion, I find myself longing for a time machine to have the ability to go back and visit the Fair. I could probably spend weeks there... some 150+ different pavilions representing different states, countries, and corporations. In many ways, Walt and WED Enterprises were a driving force behind the biggest attractions at the Fair.

Here's a link to the Ford pavilion - be sure to check it out (it's several pages long, be sure to click the little "next page" links at the bottom of each page)

http://www.nywf64.com/ford01.html

If anyone had the opportunity to visit the World's Fair I would love to hear any stories or memories you have of it. I have a few other links if anyone is interested - some show photos of what's left of the remians of the fair today - old broken down buildings, parts of the "space park" area, and of course the observation towers. It's surreal looking at the now empty buildings and structures that once were a bustling with the activity of the Fair.I remember it well smile.gif I went w/my 3rd grade class [the 1st time] ...Ahhhhhh the Ford Pavilion :D saw my first Mustang there.....we got to ride in a red Mustang convertible...I was in awe of the whole place....went back a few times w/the family....It was sad to go back & see the place once the actual World's Fair was gone....The Unisphere is still there as far as I know smile.gif Ahhhhhhhh memories [and yes I am as old as dirt also!!].....Thanks for the links!!! :cool: