Cast of Characters:

Jane (aka ChipDale)
Ron (my husband)

Trip Dates:

Wednesday, September 18 – Monday, September 30

Resort:

Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel

Day Eleven, Saturday, September 28

We slept in today until 8:00am today! :D Disneyland opens at 8:00am on Saturdays, but we didn’t feel like messing with the crowds today. I made coffee and showered, woke Ron up and we walked over to the Disneyland Hotel to have a leisurely breakfast at Hook’s Pointe. This may be my favorite breakfast spot because it’s usually quiet, it has a more adult atmosphere and they play great Frank Sinatra music! graemlins/smokin.gif Jennifer was our server and brought our coffee right away. I ordered the usual pineapple juice and Ron had a chocolate milk. For our entrees, I had the American Breakfast (two eggs over-easy, bacon, toast and potatoes) and Ron had the ham and cheese omelet. Everything was very yummy and we took our time and enjoyed the atmosphere. After breakfast, we hopped on the monorail and rode into Tomorrowland. An interesting fact about the Disneyland monorail – most guest treat it as a “ride”, not transportation. The problem is, they do not make everyone get off the monorail at the Downtown Disney station, so if you’re staying at the hotel you may have to wait through a couple of monorails to get on. I think they should make it a one-way trip both ways so that the Disney hotel guests can utilize the system more efficiently. One good thing is that they have a “resort guest only” entrance in the Tomorrowland station, so that the Disney hotel guests can be guaranteed a ride back to the hotel.

We walked down to Main Street, stopped in the Candy Palace for a treat, then walked over to Frontierland to line up for the 11:45 Billy Hill show. :D Enjoyed the show, then left Disneyland and walked thru Downtown Disney. I spotted a picture of Dopey in the entrance – found out they were doing a special event with the Walt Disney Collector’s Club and a new Dopey statue was released this weekend. My sister (Dopeysfriend) collects Dopey so we had to stop in and get it for her. We had it shipped home. We continued walking thru Downtown Disney and stopped in at the Lost Bar at the Disneyland Hotel. No trip for us is complete without spending at least one afternoon at the Lost Bar! ;) Pedro (one of our favorite bartenders) was on duty this afternoon, so we settled in and had a couple graemlins/beer.gif , then ordered some lunch (their burgers are really good), then had a few more. We always have a great time at this bar. It’s outdoors, and there’s always something going on. We chatted with Pedro and some of the other guests at the bar, and ended up staying for a few hours. graemlins/blush.gif We decided then that a nap was in order, so we crashed back at the hotel for a couple of hours before getting up and getting ready for an evening out.

Tonight we were driving up to Newhall (about 40 miles north of Disneyland) to see one of the members of Billy Hill and the Hillbillies perform with his bluegrass band “The Grateful Dudes”. graemlins/smokin.gif We’ve seen this band several times and it’s become our tradition to drive up there every time we’re in town over a Saturday. We left the hotel about 6:45pm and picked up a couple of friends at their house in Fullerton and made the drive up. The band sounded great and we had a fantastic evening! Got back to the resort about 12:30am and hit the sack right away. graemlins/sleepin.gif

imported_Melanears
10-21-2002, 11:04 PM
Well, I learned something new....I didn't know Dopeysfriend was your sis. smile.gif

Been waiting for your next installment. You slept in, huh? graemlins/laughing.gif Sounds like another fun day. It's nice that you guys have "traditions".

On to day 12.......

harlowandthemermaid
10-21-2002, 11:07 PM
Wow, I missed a bunch of your reports while I was away, I need to catch up! Wow, you slept in til 8, I'm impressed :D The more I read your reports about Billy Hill and the hillbillies the more I want to see them!

imported_PolyGirl40
10-22-2002, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by harlowandthemermaid:
The more I read your reports about Billy Hill and the hillbillies the more I want to see them!I think she has a lot of us feeling that way. I know I do!

Great day, Janie. Your evening sounds so fun!

TiggerRPh
10-22-2002, 10:15 AM
Another great day at Disneyland....thanks Jane!

You have a favorite bartender at DLR? graemlins/laughing.gif

singermom4
10-22-2002, 12:08 PM
I am loving reading about the leisurely and relaxed pace you have set for your vacation - a very different perspective than most other trip reports!

Disney-4-Me
10-22-2002, 07:15 PM
Thanks for your report, it solved a mystery for me. I have always felt that the monorail is just another ride and not really transportation. I'm guessing now that the reason for my attitude is because the first few times I rode on the monorail we were at Disneyland.

Dopeysfriend
10-22-2002, 08:54 PM
Thanks for another great report, Janie! smile.gif (and for the great Dopey! He's so cute! graemlins/thumbsup.gif )