Cast of Characters:

Jane (aka ChipDale)
Ron (my husband)

Trip Dates:

Wednesday, September 18 – Monday, September 30

Resort:

Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel

Day Six, Monday, September 23

Up dark and early again at 6:00am (give Sandy a prize! ;) ). After showering, I ran over to Captain Cook’s and got our last coffee at the Polynesian while Ron got ready. For many (including me) this would normally be a sad day (check-out), but it was my most anticipated day of our vacation – we leave for Disneyland today! graemlins/muscles.gif We made sure everything was packed, then called for our bags to be picked up. Ron waited for the bellman and I went over to the Kona Café to get a table. This morning, Gary was our server and brought out the pressed pot of coffee and our pineapple and tomato juices while I waited for Ron. Ron showed up in a few minutes and we ordered. I had the regular French Toast with bacon today and Ron had scrambled eggs and ham. We enjoyed our final breakfast, then caught the monorail to be at the Magic Kingdom for opening. We went straight to the Haunted Mansion, stopped to get a FastPass from Peter Pan’s Flight (I wanted to be able to have FastPasses from both the Magic Kingdom in WDW and Disneyland from the same day so we could frame them with the day’s guidemaps). We rode the TTA one last time and said goodbye to the Magic Kingdom. We rode the monorail back to the Polynesian and got in our car (our luggage was already in it) and waved goodbye to WDW! graemlins/mickey.gif

We dropped the rental car, checked in and pretty much walked up to the gate when boarding began. Our flight left a little early and was very smooth. We landed almost an hour ahead of schedule in L.A. graemlins/thumbsup.gif Picked up another rental car and we’re on our way to the Disneyland Resort! We arrived at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel in a little under 40 minutes, checked in at the gate and drove up driveway. We stayed here about a year and a half ago and really liked it, so we were glad to be back. When I got to the check-in counter I had about six people waiting to help me. A very nice CM checked us in and said, “oh, you have a package here!” It turned out to be a signed photograph of Mickey and Minnie wishing us a happy anniversary – very cute! We found our room (#3417) – it was far from the lobby but we like it that way. We called for our bags and once they arrived headed out the door to go renew our annual passes and get into the Happiest Place on Earth! Renewal only took a couple of minutes – they used our photos on file and before we knew it were on the original Main Street U.S.A.! Don’t get me wrong – I love WDW and the Magic Kingdom, but there is nothing that compares to Walt Disney’s Original Park and the magical feeling there! graemlins/smokin.gif

It was really wild to be in Disneyland the same day as the MK in WDW – we both said we’d love to do it again. I had to stop and get a couple of FastPasses to frame on the way to Frontierland to see the 4:15pm Billy Hill and Hillbillies show! graemlins/clappy.gif Today was the last day that two of the Billies were away at the fair in Puyallup, WA, so two subs performed with regulars Kirk Wall and Dennis Fetchet. It was a terrific show and we were so happy to see the guys again (we last saw them in July at their symphony gig in Fort Worth, TX). After the show, we headed back to the hotel to unpack, rest and freshen up before meeting some friends at the Rainforest Café for dinner. I ironed and unpacked while Ron did some work. We both took a shower to clean off the travel grime.

Our friends called and we arranged to meet them at 7:00pm. It’s just a short walk from the Grand Californian, so we took our time, enjoying the gorgeous dry Southern California weather. :cool: We checked in at the podium and had a drink in the bar while we waited for our friends to arrive. Even though it was a Monday night and Disneyland was open until 8:00pm, it was really busy. Once our friends arrived, we were seated immediately. We ordered drinks right away, Guinness for the two guys, I had another beer and our other friend had a Jungle Juice. For appetizers, we had the pita quesadillas and fried cheese (they were both really good). For our main course, one of our friends had the steak and shrimp, one had the Mogambo Shrimp Alfredo, I had the Planet Earth Pasta and Ron had the pot roast. All of the food was good, however, they brought the main course out right on top of the salads. We all had another drink instead of dessert. This was my first trip to a Rainforest Café. I probably wouldn’t go out of my way to return – it was a little too noisy and touristy for me and while the service was okay, it wasn’t the greatest. We said goodnight to our friends and walked back to the Grand Californian. We stopped in at the Hearthstone Lounge and had a nightcap. I had to try a Lemon Drop (on MegaDisney’s and Pongo’s recommendation) – it was really tasty! We enjoyed our drinks and decided to head up to our toom since we’d been up since 6:00am Eastern time. Watched a little TV and hit the sack, falling asleep as soon as our heads hit the pillow! graemlins/sleepin.gif

winky
10-14-2002, 02:47 PM
I've been eagerly anticipating your arrival at DLR! So exciting to visit the MK and DL on the same day, you must have been exhausted!

dlpmikki
10-14-2002, 02:49 PM
What a neat idea to get the fast passes from both parks to frame graemlins/thumbsup.gif graemlins/mickey.gif

Pongo
10-14-2002, 03:57 PM
What an incredible day! Perfect weather, no traffic, and getting to go to DLR and WDW! Amazing.

Glad you enjoyed the Lemon Drop! On your recommendation I finally ate at Hook's Pointe and it was terrific.

sgdisney
10-14-2002, 05:02 PM
How cool to have been on both Main Streets on the same day, even if you had to get up at 6:00 am to get it all in :D . I hope you got a nap in on the plane. I can't wait to hear more about DL, I'd love to go there someday! graemlins/mickey.gif

BrerGnat
10-14-2002, 07:41 PM
Ok, Jane, you beat me. The closest I got to being in WDW and DL in a short time frame was that I was at both within 72 hours, and I thought THAT was good. We did that when we had our wedding/honeymoon in WDW in June 01. When we got home (to our new apartment in Oceanside), we went to Disneyland two days later!

You are too good for me... graemlins/notworthy.gif

You know what else, we probably just missed each other! I was at both parks all day on Friday, 9/27 with my husband and sister (her first DL visit). I wish I had known you would be here! I would have liked to meet you. Did you happen to watch the 5pm Who Wants to Be a Millionaire show??? I was in the Hot Seat ;) .

[ October 14, 2002, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: BrerGnat ]

imported_Melanears
10-14-2002, 08:01 PM
graemlins/notworthy.gif Too cool Jane!! Can't wait to read more about DLR. The more I read here, the more I want to go.

TiggerRPh
10-14-2002, 08:46 PM
Wow....what an exciting day Jane!!! Doing MK and DLR in the same day must have been neat, but also wierd in a way.

You stayed at the Poly and never had Tonga Toast?

Okay..on to the next day at Disneyland!

graemlins/mickey.gif

Dizneyana
10-14-2002, 08:51 PM
Yay Janie!! You finally got there!! graemlins/clappy.gif

I bet that was a strange feeling being in both parks on the same day... graemlins/crazy.gif

I’m sorry that we were still hoarding John and Evan up here.. :( But, at least you got to see Kirk and Dennis.. graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Thanks for another great day!! :D

imported_PolyGirl40
10-14-2002, 09:03 PM
What an awesome and exhausting day! I love your Fast Pass and Map idea! :cool:

ChipDale
10-14-2002, 09:23 PM
Natalie - sorry, I'm embarrassed to say that I've never done Millionaire (in DCA or in WDW). graemlins/blush.gif

Ray - I've never had Tonga Toast (I don't like bananas). graemlins/blush.gif

MauiMouse
10-15-2002, 09:05 AM
Not too many people can say that they were on Main Street U.S.A. in both WDW and DL, on the same day no less. That is just too cool. graemlins/notworthy.gif

The FastPass from both parks is really neat idea, you were really on the ball. What a great souvenier. graemlins/mickey.gif

Dopeysfriend
10-15-2002, 10:38 AM
Yippee! graemlins/muscles.gif You made it! graemlins/muscles.gif

What a dream come true day! graemlins/mickey.gif

I'm off to Day Seven!