ChipDale
10-07-2002, 10:32 PM
Cast of Characters:

Jane (aka ChipDale)
Ron (my husband)

Trip Dates:

Wednesday, September 18 – Monday, September 30

Day Two, Thursday, September 19

graemlins/sleepin.gif Yawn…up at 6:00am. I was really feeling the lack of sleep over the past two nights! After showering, I ran over to Captain Cook’s for coffee and a toasted bagel and brought them back to the room so we could wake up a little before hopping the monorail to the Magic Kingdom at 7:20am. As required, we met our Behind the Steam Trains Tour group right outside of the turnstiles at the Magic Kingdom. We were very lucky to have Jack as our Tour Guide (he’s one of the creators of the tour). We had 22 people in our group. He gave us a little overview of what we would be doing and gave us each our personalized nametag. First we walked up to the Main Street train station and boarded the Roy O. Disney. We rode around the park with Jack telling us about different hidden Mickeys and facts about the four WDW engines along the way. We stopped in Toontown where we got off the train so that Jack and the engineers could show us how they switch the track so the train could go backstage. After demonstrating this, we backed up in the train to go backstage and into the train barn. We got off the train in the barn and Jack told us all about how they found the four engines down in the Yukatan in Mexico and brought them up here to WDW. We got to get into the cab of the Lilly Belle where he showed us how everything runs. graemlins/smokin.gif After that we boarded the Walter E. Disney and rode that back down to Main Street USA, where the engineer performed the required safety checks for the day. Once back at Main Street we stopped in at the Tour Garden for bottled water and/or coffee and a restroom break. The remainder of the tour was spent in the Train Station downstairs and upstairs learning about the Walt’s passion for trains and his private railway, the Carolwood Pacific. The tour lasted 3 hours and was extremely informative. If you’re even slightly a train fan or even if you’re just interest in learning more about Walt Disney I would highly recommend it. graemlins/thumbsup.gif

After the tour, Ron and I walked up Main Street and got a snack in the bakery to cool off. This revived us a little (we had been up for almost 24 hours the day before and had only 4 hours of sleep last night). We rode the TTA, then left the Magic Kingdom. We had a PS at the Sci-Fi Dine-In for lunch but cancelled it and opted for the Brown Derby instead. We drove over to the Studios and went straight to the Derby. We both had the Original Cobb Salad and I had the Grapefruit Cake for dessert. I love this restaurant – it’s by far my favorite at the Studios. After lunch we went back to the Polynesian to get some rest. We took a nice long nap and while we napped it stormed which made it even more restful. graemlins/sleepin.gif Feeling much better after a few hours’ sleep, I ironed and showered while Ron slept some more, then he got up, showered, and we got ready for our Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue PS at 9:30pm. We drove over to Fort Wilderness about 8:15pm and parked in the main lot where a bus was already waiting to take us to Pioneer Hall. We were there early enough so we browsed through the carts and the Settlement Trading Post scouting for Chip & Dale merchandise. We didn’t find anything new, so we stopped in at Crockett’s Tavern for a couple of cold beers before the show started. Our bartender Jason was very nice. We chatted with him for a bit, had another beer and a slice of pizza (I know, we’re going to eat in a little while but we were starving and their pizza is really good graemlins/tasty.gif ). When it was 9:30 we went next door to Pioneer Hall to check in.

We were seated immediately (it was not even near a full house). Barb was our server and she was great. She brought us a couple of beers and a whole pitcher right away. We enjoyed the food as usual and the show as always was really funny. The guy that played Six Bits Slocum was absolutely hilarious! :D We were chosen for the special occasion portion and they announced that it was our 20th wedding anniversary. graemlins/party.gif There’s something about the Hoop-Dee-Doo that makes you realize that you’re really in WDW! After the show we caught a bus (there were several waiting) for the parking lot immediately and headed back to the Polynesian where I think we fell asleep before our heads hit the pillow. graemlins/sleepin.gif

chmpgnrose
10-07-2002, 11:12 PM
Sounds like a great trip so far. Hope you'd get lots of rest for day 2!

[ October 08, 2002, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: PolyGirl40 ]

sgdisney
10-07-2002, 11:16 PM
Glad you got that nap in! Another great day, the train tour sounds interesing. Is there a minimum age requirement for the tour? Looking forward to Day 3, hope you slept in! graemlins/sleepin.gif

singermom4
10-07-2002, 11:29 PM
Phew! I was just racing through your report to find out if you guys took a nap - oh, the suspense of it! graemlins/silly.gif Glad you trip is going so well! Oh, and Happy 20th!

MauiMouse
10-08-2002, 08:05 AM
Sounds like an interesting tour, we did the Hidden Showcase Tour and really enjoyed ourselves. I think that I would like to take a tour each time I go to WDW.

Didn't get a chance to eat at MGM other than the counter service restaurants, next time I would like to try that Cobb salad, sounds delicious. tongue.gif

KronksGal
10-08-2002, 12:12 PM
Looks like a full and fun second day you had, we didn't get to the Brown Derby this trip, I'll have to make a note of it for the next one! ;)

imported_Melanears
10-08-2002, 04:31 PM
The Hoop-Dee-Doo is something we've never done, and we've never eaten at Brown Derby. Oh, and we've never taken the Train tour. So, I guess what I am saying is that I enjoyed reading about all the things you did this day. Sounds like fun!! smile.gif

imported_PolyGirl40
10-08-2002, 07:12 PM
Yum!!! Cobb Salad and Grapefruit Cake! Talk about perfection.
graemlins/tasty.gif graemlins/tasty.gif graemlins/tasty.gif graemlins/tasty.gif graemlins/tasty.gif graemlins/tasty.gif graemlins/tasty.gif graemlins/tasty.gif

The train tour sounds very interesting. Tony would love to take a tour like that. I'll have to tell him about it. Thanks for the details, Janie.

harlowandthemermaid
10-10-2002, 10:12 PM
Sounds like a great day, Hoop de doo and grapefruit cake graemlins/tasty.gif , some of my faves too! The train tour sounds really cool!

Dizneyana
10-11-2002, 07:36 PM
Oh man... I'm behind here.. :(

Sounds like the train tour was really great... I'll have to remember that one too....

Glad you caught a nap..

On to day 3!! graemlins/clappy.gif

TiggerRPh
10-13-2002, 11:14 PM
You're behind? Look at me, I just got here!

The tour sounds like a great time Jane...might have to try it sometime.

What no graemlins/beer.gif on day 2 either....oh oh!!

On to Day 3 ----->

Dopeysfriend
10-15-2002, 10:10 AM
You're still ahead of me, Ray...I'm bringing up the caboose :D (no pun intended!)

The train tour sounds excellent! graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Glad you guys got some much needed graemlins/sleepin.gif too! :D

I'm off to read Day 3! graemlins/muscles.gif

mickeefan
10-15-2002, 08:19 PM
Great you took the train tour. We took it last year and really really enjoyed it. You didn't mention this , but do they still give you a railroad spike as a momento of your tour.They are neat and we plan on having ours engraved.

ChipDale
10-15-2002, 10:16 PM
Nope - no railroad spike (or even a pin for that matter) - that would have been really cool!