PDA

View Full Version : Wizzy takes on the Land...day 2

DisneyWizard
08-16-2002, 09:21 PM
Previous reports: Pre-trip report (http://www.intercot.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=003138), post-pre trip report (http://www.intercot.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=003165), day 1 (http://www.intercot.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=31;t=000021)

Click my homepage icon for pictures of the suite I stayed in.

WARNING: Grap a graemlins/beer.gif and set some time aside in your life. This is one long report. Sure you don't have to read the entire thing but then you'll miss out on me using the same adjectives over and over and over... graemlins/mike.gif

Day 2

Rise and shine! :D I woke up pretty early since Disneyland was open at 8am - earlier than the Florida parks. A visit to the concierge was very convenient and I ended up saving a chunk of money from not having to pay for breakfast every morning. The breakfast in concierge was decent and the staff up there was very attentive. I got my bus pass and was off (in a trolley-bus by myself) like a herd of turtles.

The first thing I wanted to do was soak up the fact that I was finally in California. This trip had been postponed for a year and a half and I was finally in California on the West Coast. It was very exciting for me! I was surprised at how close the two theme parks were together - I thought the esplanade area was larger. Seeing the train station and the CALIFORNIA letters finally made me realize - I'm here! graemlins/thumbsup.gif

When the park opened I immediately went for Indiana Jones. I could not wait to ride it. I almost ran over to Adventureland I was so anxious. Upon entering Main Street I had to stop for a second. It's one thing to visit a completely different theme park, but it's another to visit one SO SIMILAR to one that you frequent. Seeing Sleeping Beauty's castle in replace of Cinderella's was a bit of a slap in the face. :eek: It's so .... small. (I think it needs a new coat of paint.) I absolutely loved Main Street - it was even more authentic than the one in Walt Disney World, it seems. I'm sure they are almost identical, but for some reason...

Ok. I had to get over the whole castle ordeal. I realized the entire day was going to be "I like this better in Florida, but I like this better here" so I just had to get used to it. Adventureland in CA is great! Although it's very cramped, the theming is superb. I LOVED LOVED LOVED the queue for Indiana Jones and

L

O

V

E

D

this ride. graemlins/silly.gif It was phenomenal! The ultimate ride in theming, excitement, music, special effects, and just all around fun. I wish they could have made Dinosaur this good. Wow. The first time through I was surprised by so many things! The fireball, the snake, and the smoke-wall of rats all took me by complete surprise, and the finale with the rolling ball was just perfect. I'm glad I had never seen a video or any pictures of this ride since I was in awe. I got off and immediately rode it again. How could I not?

Now that I was in ecstasy, I decided to push it even further by hitting my favorite ride from the Florida Magic Kingdom: Space Moutain. I almost ran across the hub into Tomorrowland (the "almost running" thing happened a lot this day ;) ). Tomorrowland is very nicely themed, but I didn't feel like it was as futuristic as WDW's. I liked the whole Mars/Earth/Space feel to the whole land, however.

Sadly enough, I was thoroughly disappointed with Space Mountain. While it was fun, WDW's is FAR superior. The fact that you don't ride alone, you can't see the ride from the queue (a major letdown), and no music playing in the background (not in the headsets, but in the background) was a mistake. graemlins/mixed.gif

DisneyWizard
08-16-2002, 09:22 PM
I was still pretting happy right now but I needed something to eat again before I flipped out from being so wound up this early in the morning. :rolleyes: While not all that healthy, a Mickey rice-crispy treat and a hot chocolate was able to hold me over. I walked over to Fantasyland to do all of the dark rides next since lines were still non-existant. I loved Pinnochio and Snow White (the Snow White Queue was pretty interesting), and Mr. Toad brought back fond memories. Alice in Wonderland was extremely colorful and was a great tribute to the movie. Peter Pan was 1/2 and 1/2 - I liked a lot of different aspects of it better in both FL and CA. I was also able to take a ride on the Matterhorn (left side). The ride was surprisingly more intense than I expected. Overall I loved the feel of Fantasyland.

I started heading over to the rest of the park in Frontierland and spotted the band playing on the Mark Twain and an improvisation group playing in front of the Golden Horshoe. Both were very talented! Big Thunder Mountain railroad didn't have a wait, however, so I left the live entertainment for a trip around the mountains. This ride, with the exception of the queue, is almost exactly the same as WDW's.

The next attraction I went on was easily the most shocking during the entire trip. Pirates of the Caribbean is thousands times more creative and ingenious in Disneyland! I was getting very excited to eat at the Blue Bayou after I saw it on the ride, and the attention to detail on my voyage was just amazing. Why didn't they make WDW's this great? It's a shame, really. All of New Orleans is eye-candy too. The shops and the Disney Gallery were just as entertaining. I was very pumped to go on the Haunted Mansion after pirates, thinking it was going to be just as much of a surprise. This is another favorite of mine from Walt Disney World. However, I found it to be a little less than what I love in Florida. Still a wonderful attraction, but I felt like it lacked some.

I headed on over to Splash and rode immediately since I was alone. All I have to say is Florida's is far superior. While the ride is still very entertaining, after being on the Florida version I was hungry for something else. Outside of Splash were Winnie the Pooh and friends, so I got some pictures of me with Eeyore and Tigger. ;)

Speaking of hunger, it was about time for an early lunch. I didn't know where to go, though. All of my reses weren't until the weekend and I didn't want to go to those specific restaurants early. I jumped on the monorail and checked out Downtown Disney. Much to the dismay of many Intercotees, I ultimately decided for Rainforest Cafe. graemlins/blush.gif I really like the food and the atmosphere in most of them! I wasn't disappointed, either. I had a great seat and my server was good at her job. (If you do go, notice that the windows have automatic blinds which close when the thunderstorms begin. Neat little ditty!) Satisfied with lunch I headed on back to Tomorrowland.

DisneyWizard
08-16-2002, 09:24 PM
Since I was in Tomorrowland I wanted to try out the Autopia- I loved it! Yes they only go 7 miles per hour but they also go through a Car Park and an off-roading track. :cool: The inside movies and the car jokes on the big screen just added to the fun. So did my free driver's license that I got to keep! That's attention to detail, ladies and gents. ;)

I was very disappointed with Innoventions, which I quickly went through and left. Not nearly as much fun as Epcot's and it wasn't too...well...innovative. Plus, the host outside mentioned, "where else can you create your own rollercoaster and ride it? Only at Innoventions!" Uh, and DisneyQuest, kiddo! graemlins/shakehead.gif

Annoyed with my disappointment, I did my usual backtracking and ventured on over to Adventureland. I was SHOCKED to see the Jungle Cruise with a 5 minute wait. I calmly (yeah right) got in line and was delighted with the skipper - she was a riot! She said my all-time favorite Jungle Cruise joke which I have never heard before. "Enjoy the rest of your day here at Disneyland, and remember: when you wish upon a star, your dreams really do come true for $45 plus parking." graemlins/rotfl.gif It was hysterical.

Tarzan's treehouse was mildly enjoyable (although a little tiring) and the Tiki room was...well...the Tiki room. I stand by my vote for the new Under New Management version. They really need to rehab the original - some of the talking plants and birds didn't talk! graemlins/laughing.gif

I know I'm getting redundant, but I still had a LOT of day left. graemlins/smokin.gif Too bad if you wanted this to be short. graemlins/nono.gif You were warned.

I took the train from New Orleans to Toontown and couldn't wait to check out Roger Rabbit's CarToon Spin! I opted for FastPass since the line went over my rule of "20 minutes or less". While I waited I meandered around Toontown and went to visit Mickey. They have a pretty neat system on showing you Mickey while keeping the line flowing. I don't want to spoil it for anyone so I'll just leave it at that. smile.gif Roger Rabbit's was creative, although I had a hard time spinning when I wanted and staying still when I wanted. We need more dark rides like this in theme parks, though!

DisneyWizard
08-16-2002, 09:25 PM
Ok, I know what you're thinking. "Wizzy's done so much but he hasn't battled any graemlins/thedolls.gif yet..." It was time. I went on It's a Small World right after Toontown. Shockingly, the colors/glitter/lights are BRILLIANT from the recent rehab! I wish all rides could be kept like that. However, I didn't like the fact that you travel in a canal rather than a flooded river (does that make sense?). It gave it kind of a "cheap" feeling which wasn't kosher with me. I got off with a weird feeling of confinement (am I being too deep?) and left a little confused. Yes it was almost the exact same ride (only brighter), but why have a boat if there's only a little bit of water. Why not just put you in a ride vehicle? Whatever works. :rolleyes:

I still had lots of time on my hands (PLEASE KILL US, you say. I spare none. tongue.gif ) and I hadn't officially checked out Disney's California Adventure, yet. Although I wasn't planning on visiting for too long, I wanted to get a taste of the park, check out Soarin' Over California and maybe catch a ride...so that's exactly what I ended up doing! Soarin' -- wow. Simply wonderful! While it was very sad to see some families abusing the Single Rider's Line (IF YOU AREN'T A SINGLE RIDER DON'T USE IT, PLEASE -- WAIT IN LINE LIKE THE REST OF THE NON-SINGLE RIDERS) this ride is simply wonderful. The air, the smells, the relaxing movement. It helped that I was center front, too.

I was in a somewhat euphoric mood and I needed to top it off with some comedy, and Muppets are the kind of creatures that could handle that. What a great show! Although it's a 100% duplicate of Disney-MGM's version, it's still a great show nontheless. I walked around Hollywood Pictures Backlot taking in DCA at night. It's a very pretty park at night. Granted I only saw the front areas of it, but it's still pretty. They had a college band playing in the front which was playing good music- a perfect time to grab a hot dog ( graemlins/tasty.gif ) and listen.

[ August 17, 2002, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: DisneyWizard ]

DisneyWizard
08-16-2002, 09:26 PM
And now for my favorite part of ANY Disney theme-park: nighttime rush. This was even more fun in California since everything is spaced evenly apart with time and there is quite a bit to do between the two parks. I skipped the Electrical Parade for now and just went and watched the Fireworks (I got there 30 minutes early for a good spot). It truly was a spectacular! I never have liked the Magic Kingdom's fireworks unless it's for the holidays, but this was one brilliant show! Afterwards, while everyone was leaving, I went and experienced the Haunted Mansion at night (a nighttime classic in my books) and then sat around for Fantasmic. People are not lying when they say California's version is 10X better. Why? It's hard to say. I was blown away. Now you have to understand I'm blown away with the Florida version as well, but this had so much more! Less water screens and villains, and more action! Pinnochio, Pink Elephants, more in the jungle scene, and PETER PAN! Maleficent was wonderful as always ( :D ) and I again was in another one of those moods. OK ok, I'm entertained easily. It's not a bad quality to have, is it? redface.gif

I just had to milk the money so I took a 0-minute-wait-ride on Pirates before I left. I was actually shocked it was still opened, but technically there were 3 minutes remaining before park closing...

Took the same trolley-bus home, found myself still amazed that I was in a suite, and fell asleep rather quickly.

graemlins/mickey.gif

Let me just say that although it's very, uh, "cozy", Disneyland is magical. I found it almost like a game to see which attractions were better in Florida or California. So many people have told me Disneyland is worthless after you visit Walt Disney World but I couldn't disagree without getting on a really big barrel of soap. ;) I couldn't wait to go again...and again....and again....

I was surprised at the lack of Pin Trading, however! The Saturday coming up (day 2 was a Thursday) they were launching the Pin Trading station in Tomorrowland, but still not all that many CMs had lanyards. That was disappointing. And no, Jane, I didn't see Billy yet. Don't worry, though. ;)

Day 3 consists of a non-Disney theme park, but I'm not sure when I'll get around to telling you about it. This week has been BUSY. graemlins/ack.gif

Dizneyana
08-16-2002, 10:46 PM
:eek: WOW Casey!! :eek:

That was one big trip report!! :D And I enjoyed every word of it.... I love to hear DL trip reports.... graemlins/thumbsup.gif I've been waiting ever so patiently for it...

Sounds like you had a really great time, and did a lot!! Isn't Indy FABULOUS ??? Truly one of my favorites (after the Matterhorn).. :cool:

I too prefer DL's PoTC over WDW's...

I can't wait for day 3!!! Hurry up!! tongue.gif

ChipDale
08-17-2002, 12:25 AM
graemlins/muscles.gif Go Disneyland! graemlins/muscles.gif

Casey, I'm so glad you liked it! I agree with you about everything except a few things (Castle, HM, Space Mtn., IASW, Tiki Room - don't mess with our Tiki Room graemlins/nono.gif Get it? I think everything's better at Disneyland! ;) )

Wow! You sure covered a lot in one day. Isn't Fantasmic and Believe! the greatest? :D

Can't wait to hear more - your reports are terrific! graemlins/thumbsup.gif

mpgirl
08-17-2002, 09:50 AM
Good trip report. I was also suprised/disappointed in the lack of pin trading at DL/CA. Many of the CM's seemed very uninterested in the whole thing. Thanks for sharing.

imported_PolyGirl40
08-17-2002, 09:54 AM
A few things, Janie? graemlins/rotfl.gif

What an awesome report, Casey! Since I've never been west of Pennsylvania I relished the details.

Great job! More please!? ;)

ChipDale
08-17-2002, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by PolyGirl40:
A few things, Janie? graemlins/rotfl.gif Okay, maybe I got a little carried away. graemlins/blush.gif

ElenitaB
08-17-2002, 10:46 AM
What a great day and a great report... and what a LOT of typing! (Just in case you haven't noticed, we LOVE long reports!) Go get a finger massage so you can get working on your Day 3 report, k? ;)

You brought back a lot of memories from my visits to DL in the 80's. Now I definitely want to go back to revisit the old, and experience the new! :D

Thanks for the pictures of the room... we can all dream now of such a great upgrade! (I'm still in trouble from our last upgrade... now my DS wants to move into the Contemporary Tower with its MK view!)

TiggerRPh
08-17-2002, 12:01 PM
Wow, that was some report Wizzy!! I had to stop in the middle for intermission though!!! graemlins/laughing.gif

You certainly did get a lot done in one day!

I too was eagerly waiting for your reports and certainly wasn't disappointed.

graemlins/thumbsup.gif

harlowandthemermaid
08-17-2002, 06:50 PM
Great report! I loved hearing all the details and differences between WDW and DL....thanks for a great report. I'm off to day 1 to hear about the non disney park ;)

Dizneyana
08-17-2002, 09:02 PM
Oh yeah... I got so excited that I forgot to touch on the pin trading thing too.... graemlins/blush.gif

I was disappointed as well at the lack of it at Disneyland... :( I guess that it just hasn't caught on out here like it has at WDW...

I shlepped mine around one day, and then gave up after that.... graemlins/shakehead.gif

BrerGnat
08-18-2002, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the great trip report! I have to say I agree with most of what you said too. I was a "Disney World all the way" kind of person until I moved down here to San Diego, and got an AP for Disneyland (how could I not? ;) ). Now, I have accepted that MANY Disneyland attractions are far superior to those at the MK.

I still feel like I've been slapped in the face everytime I see Sleeping Beauty's Castle. However, it does clean up nice at night with the lighting.

I have to say though, I like Disneyland's Space Mountain better...and when the new cars with the NEW speaker system are installed..."WDW eat your heart out!".

I can't really comment on the pin trading thing, since we're not all about trading (we just buy to collect the ones we like). However, is it me or are Disneyland's pins HUGE compared to WDW's??? That's one thing we don't like very much.

MKPlutoGuy
08-19-2002, 10:46 AM
I too though the castle to be smaller, but hey, its Disneyland! :D

I agree, Space Mountain is better in the world. smile.gif

Glad you had so much fun Casey! Looking foward to Day 3! graemlins/muscles.gif graemlins/clappy.gif graemlins/mickey.gif

DisneyWizard
08-21-2002, 12:50 PM
Day 3 is finally up. I'm so proud of myself for actually finishing another day. graemlins/smokin.gif

Disney-4-Me
08-21-2002, 11:40 PM
What an awesome and entertaining report!! graemlins/muscles.gif

I only have two questions though:

1. Did you love it? graemlins/silly.gif

2. Were you blown away? graemlins/silly.gif

citizensnoopy
08-22-2002, 12:33 PM
WOW, that was one heck of a trip report! Must have taken a loooongggggg time to type it. :D I am so glad that you enjoyed DL! It's nice to hear your opinions on which rides are better in each park. smile.gif I'm moving on to day 3... smile.gif