PDA

View Full Version : car seat as a piece of luggage

michaelandmommylovedisney
10-08-2002, 10:58 PM
On our last trip to WDW we rented our car through National. We also rented a car seat with them. (So we did not have to bring our own) When we got the car seat it was VERY nasty looking. It had stains on it but it was clean. DH and I said the next time that we would bring our own. Has anyone ever brought there own and checked it in as piece of luggage? We did do this in Dec. 2000 but it was a infant car seat. This time we have a toddler size car seat and as most of you know they are very bulky. My main concern is that I don't want it to get damage. (We all know how luggage is thrown around) graemlins/laughing.gif graemlins/shakehead.gif

Also I was thinking of purchasing a booster seat but I am not sure of the laws in Florida. My DS is 36lbs and is 37" tall. I am pretty sure he needs to be at least 40lbs for a booster seat is this correct? graemlins/mickey.gif

Thank You for any help

Bmwdsny
10-08-2002, 11:15 PM
Yes i believe you have to be 40 lbs for the booster seat.
I ALWAYS bought my toddler seat since i refused to rent it from the car rental place. I do check in with the luggage. Depending on the airlines, some put the seat inside big cardboard box, others simply put inside an open box. I flew many times and i never once had a problem with the toddler seat being damage. Just to be sure, tell the clerk to put the seat in a box of some kind. graemlins/mickey.gif

singermom4
10-09-2002, 12:41 AM
It really depends on the airline. I wouldn't depend on them providing a box or even a bag for you. I purchased an oversize laundry bag for the one or two times I did check in the car seat. I have two kids now so I carry one on the plane and rent one at the rental place but I agree that the seats are very scuzzy. Also, I usually rent for my older child who would be in a booster and the rental companies usually only have car seats so he is quite unhappy having to sit in one. Britax makes a portable version of a booster - you could look in to that.

imported_PolyGirl40
10-09-2002, 07:21 AM
The years we took our own car seat we used it for our son in his seat on the plane. We did not check it as luggage.

It made the ride that much more enjoyable, as he was used to sitting in his seat while traveling anyway. graemlins/idea.gif

llupin
10-09-2002, 08:23 AM
I've flown with my kids (now ages 3 and 6) since the oldest was 10 months old. We've always brought the car seats with us. Before our first flight, I bought specially designed case for the car seat, but it was too small and the seat didn't fit. Next time, I bought a box of clear garbage can liners from Home Depot and put the seat in those (they are huge, and even the bulkiest seat easily fits). Some airlines now provide bags for car seats, but only at certain locations, so I wouldn't rely on it.

michaelandmommylovedisney
10-09-2002, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by PolyGirl40:
The years we took our own car seat we used it for our son in his seat on the plane. We did not check it as luggage.

It made the ride that much more enjoyable, as he was used to sitting in his seat while traveling anyway. graemlins/idea.gif Actually we were going to do this back in May but could not because we had called the airline (Delta) and the car seat needed to say airline approved. graemlins/mickey.gif

imvicky1999
10-09-2002, 09:17 AM
I am trying to think back at when my daughter was 36 lbs. They do need to be 40 lbs. for a booster seat. My daughter will be 7 yrs. when we go and I am bringing a seat belt adjuster. She is about 45 lbs. now. We use a booster seat in our car, but I think that she is big enough to use the seat belt adjuster when we go. Your child sounds like they are still a little small for it though. But if they are 40 lbs. by the time you go and you feel that they are big enought you might want to try it. I know to rent a car seat is a bit expensive. About $5.00 a day. For double the price you could by a brand new seat. I didn't know they were so dirty, I think I would make them clean it. Expecially at the rate they are charging for them. We are going for 2 wks. and at that price I could just buy a new one when I get down there. Don't get me wrong, I am not putting a price on my child's safety. If she were not old enought for the seat belt adj. than I would just rent one. Good Luck!
Vicky

princessesmom
10-09-2002, 01:58 PM
The booster seats I have can be used from 30 to 40 pounds with the 5 point harness, just like a regular child's car seat. They are a full seat with a back, not the type with just the seat. They are attached to the seat of the car with the seat belt just like a child's car seat is attached. Once the child reaches 40 pounds you remove the harness apparatus and use the seat belt to keep the child in. These are a little less bulky but not much, I don't think it is going to solve your problem.

We have checked car seats many times, both infant and toddler seats. The airlines have always had a bag which we have used. They have never been damaged, but maybe we were just lucky.

I have never rented a seat. But I have requested seats from car services a couple of times. They were always very different than what my children were use to and it never worked out very well.

KylesMom
10-09-2002, 05:14 PM
On the two occasions that we have flown to Disney World with DS, we have just brought the car seat on the plane with us. He was used to sitting in his own seat anyway, so it really wasn't a problem. P.S. We gate-checked his stroller so it was waiting for us when we disembarked from the plane.

Unless money is not an object, it sure is cheaper to bring your own seat!!!! And no one from the airlines inspected the seat to see if it was "airline approved" although it did say so I think. Good Luck! graemlins/mickey.gif

tyeepup
10-09-2002, 09:17 PM
Our DD is 32 lbs. When we fly to Orlando in two weeks, we're taking a direct flight and using her car seat on the plan. FAA recommends it for all children under 40 lbs. Also, we're not sure how she will be flying, so we think the familiarity of the car seat might make her feel more secure.