PDA

View Full Version : Camelbaks in the parks?

Honeymooner1sttimer
09-04-2002, 02:02 PM
My fiance and I do not want to shrivel up and dry out during our long days at the parks. :eek:
So, I have an excellent hydration system that I use on long distance bike rides. It consists of a smallish backpack like thing with a soft plastic 'bladder' that you fill with water and ice(3liters). The drinking tube comes out of the back of the pack so you can sip while on the go. Will I be able to get into the parks with this? Some other places have allowed it in only if it was empty, some not at all because it was considered "food and drink". Some places even told me to go ahead because it is just a backpack. Anyone had any trouble with these? :confused:
These things are great and I would recommend them to anyone who hates to carry a water bottle when they are theme parking. Never waste precious riding time filling up water bottles with lukewarm water! ;) carry your own supply of ice cold water on your back and you will be much happier! graemlins/thumbsup.gif I just hope I can get it in, I hate carrying water bottles! graemlins/laughing.gif

stitchfan
09-04-2002, 02:44 PM
I don't think you'll have any trouble getting them into the parks. They do check backpacks on your way in, and you might have to explain what they are, what they're for, and show that there's just water in them. In theory, they sound like a great idea. However, we didn't see anyone wearing them when we were there last June (hot hot hot), and I think the reason they weren't in evidence has more to do with other considerations than those you mention in your post.

For instance, will the water squirt out of the drinking tube if you sit or lean back on the bladder? If it does, then you'll be forever taking them off and putting them on at the start and end of every ride and show. (Actually, this goes for day packs and anything else that hangs on your back and might interfere with sitting in a chair or on a bench.)

Also, how insulated are they, and do they sweat if the water in them is cold? If so, remember that Florida is humid. Very humid. A liter or so of ice water can condense quite a bit of ambient humidity and turn it into damp clothing.

Do you have to keep them upright to keep the water in them from drooling out; do they easily form a a siphon and run water all over you, your neighbor, "It's a Small World," etc. If they have be held a certain way to keep them from leaking, then they might be a pain to take on any of the thrill rides and simulators.

Short answer: I'm sure they aren't forbidden, but you probably want to test your equipment before you go and make sure it will stand up to the kind of treatment it's likely to get at WDW --will it take being sat on, slung around, tipped over, stepped on, etc.?

Stitchfan the Assistant Scoutmaster

Honeymooner1sttimer
09-04-2002, 03:12 PM
These Camelbaks are very sturdy. The water will not squirt out, there is a one way check valve. It is also insulated so condensation should not be a problem. they are even vented on the back for comfort. smile.gif I wear them bike riding in the hot humid Maryland mountains and haven't had any problems except my back getting cold!
I have sat on it, ridden over it on my bike and dropped it repeatedly in the year or so I have had it and had no ill effects. At the risk of sounding like a pitchman for the company, I will say again, these things are built very well and I think they will stand up to the rigors of WDW.
We'll see graemlins/clappy.gif

Flower
09-04-2002, 05:54 PM
DH has one, we have never used it at DW though. They should let you take it into the park, as you stated though they may want it to be empty when you enter, which is no big deal to fill it once inside.

The only concern I would have is the plug in the bladder. Ours does not screw on, but rather one piece sits inside the other (almost like the stopper on a kids piggy bank). My concern would be bearing down into the back of a seat and the stopper popping out from the force/weight of your back. It could happen on the jerkier 'thrill rides', space mountain, rockin rollercoaster.

The worse thing that could happen is you would get wet!!! And that might be refreshing after a day in the sun!!

And just a word of advice - do not leave the bladder filled and laying on the kitchen counter if you have a cat! An expensive lesson learned; kitties like to play 'chase the air bubbles! graemlins/rotfl.gif

Disney-4-Me
09-05-2002, 10:59 PM
I saw a person wearing/carrying one while we were there in August so you are good to go!

BrerGnat
09-06-2002, 12:49 PM
You will be fine with it. DH has one too and we took it snowboarding, and it took quite a beating (I can't even remember how many times he fell flat on his back at 20 mph!).

WDW will be cake with a Camelback.

I see people with them in Disneyland all the time too, so you shouldn't have a problem bringing it in. I'm bringing ours next time we go to WDW too. It's a great product.

goudaman40
09-06-2002, 02:40 PM
We took ours with us in November & gave one to my nephew (14) and our two neices (9 & 10) :D - The girls loved them!! We also used powdered Gatorade & added it into the bladders w/ the water so they would get a little more out of there water. The only time we had any problems was when we went on Rock-N-Rollercoaster & my husband got stuck with a backpack & 3 camelbaks around his legs for the Ride! graemlins/rotfl.gif