PDA

View Full Version : Need help for sunsensitive DH

Gadget
06-11-2002, 12:53 AM
My DH is taking some medication that makes him prone to sunburn. His solution is to wear ls shirt and pants. Ah, he is going to broil in my estimation. What can I do to help him? I want him to enjoy himself. Any ideas? Any sport store have anything?

Patricia
06-11-2002, 02:41 AM
He can get a really good suntan lotion (50-65 SPF)and be out in the sun on and off.. just keep re-applying it!
Remember you are not always standing in the direct sun, I was there last June and used no lotion and never burned at all.. your in and out of shade and buildings all day. :cool:
Tell him he must wear a hat to prevent his scalp from burning though as no lotion will be able to help him there. He also needs to wear the lotion even on cloudy days too. graemlins/mixed.gif

Of course, speak to your Doctor about this first.. they have some very good lotions that he/she can recommend.

I'd suggest:

-Fallene Total Block Clear Sunblock, SPF 65 (I checked it's available at drugstore.com if you can't find it locally.)
-Vichy Lait écran extrême SPF 60. (pricy)
-Banana Boat Sport Sunblock, SPF 50

I'm going to move this over to the Vacation Planning forum for you. smile.gif

Swedish Cath
06-11-2002, 04:19 AM
I am also very sensitive to the sun, especially on my face where I'm actually allergic to direct sunlight (and most sunscreens!!). So I wore a wide-brimmed soft sunhat all the time, even on cloudy days and even in the wave pool at Typhoon Lagoon. I used high SPF physical barrier suncreams on my face and body and sat or stood in the shade whenever possible. We were at WDW for 14 days in May and it was hot and sunny the whole time but I only really suffered with sun problems a couple of times at the beginning of our stay so I should think that your DH will be fine.

It may sound obvious but make sure the hat is white or a very light colour and the same with clothes. Thick weave white cotton shirts and trousers will reflect the sun and will make you cooler. You probably already know that but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

Also Beta Carotene tablets taken daily for 3 or 4 weeks prior to your trip can increase the body's natural protection against the sun. (info from my dermatologist). I take 3 times the recommended daily allowance of beta carotene for at least a month before the sunny weather starts and during the whole summer.

Lastly try and avoid being in the sun from 11am til 3pm. Planning indoor activities such as Disney Quest at these times is a great idea.

Have a great trip!!

Tinkerbell23
06-11-2002, 10:30 AM
I just returned from WDW where I stayed a week. I am ghostly white : smile.gif so I used SPF 45 all week, reapplying throughout the day. I did not get burned at all which is really unusual for me. graemlins/mickey.gif

MNNHFLTX
06-13-2002, 12:15 PM
Your husband can wear pants and long-sleeve shirts down here and not get overheated, as long as they are made of cotton and are lightweight and light-colored (as previously mentioned). Event with sun block on, the extra protection is still a good idea. My sister-in-law often wears protective clothing when out in the sun and she usually looks cooler than many around us that are wearing synthetic fibers or dark clothing!

Grace
06-13-2002, 02:07 PM
One more option to avoid the sun - an umbrella. I am also very fair and sun-sensitive. In addition to lavish applications of sunscreen, I carry a small collapsible white umbrella. This is cooler than long sleeves and pants, and the umbrella folds down small enough to put into a fanny pack.