PDA

View Full Version : January Marathon Crowds?

Zimkeeper
07-17-2002, 01:17 PM
We are planning a return trip in January from the 5th through the 15th. I just discovered that WDW holds a marathon each January and it is scheduled for Jan. 11 & 12 in 2003. Has anyone been at this time? Does it get very crowded? Is there any place to avoid?

We are very excited as this will only be our second time. We have an AP from May so we are thrilled to be able to get in another trip before it expires. graemlins/muscles.gif

Beast_fanatic
07-17-2002, 01:31 PM
From what I've heard, the marathon doesn't impact the crowds at the parks much at all, but can impact traffic around the parks.

EmisDisneyMom
07-17-2002, 04:41 PM
The crowds are not noticable at the parks.

Flower
07-19-2002, 05:32 PM
Race Day there will be some "traffic points" set up and a few minor driving set backs. In true Disney fashion everything 'runs' smoothly and it's hardly noticeable. When you check in ask for the race layout, the hotels should be able to provide you with that so you know where to avoid and at what times; ie race start. I have been there during 3 marathons and have never had any problems with added crowds

Gotta Love the TTA
07-19-2002, 09:13 PM
The race starts very early--I want to say 5 AM, and they must be finished by a certain time.

We were there last year on marathon day, and it was no big deal EXCEPT that a few streets were closed early in the morning.

We were relying on WDW transpo, so we did not have to worry or stress about the traffic jam. We were on the way to MGM and I noticed we took a different route. It perhaps added 10 minutes to the trip.

The runners are, for the most part, on side streets and only a small part of the 26 miles is thru the parks.

At MGM, half of the street was blocked off with cones for the runners. CMs lined the streets and cheered for them. Characters were there for high-fives and autographs.

Later, at our hotel, we saw lots of REALLY tired runners returning. I suspect the hot tub was pretty crowded that afternoon.