PDA

View Full Version : flying with my 2 year old

DIXIEGIRL76
07-01-2002, 08:38 AM
any tips on flying with my 2 year old?? she was great last year but she also was'n t walking yet.........also any tips for takinhg her to the parks,,,,,,,,,,and yes we are staying in disney.........thanks

Nana
07-01-2002, 09:59 AM
A stroller is mandatory. It helps you know where she is at all the time.
Be aware she may or may not like the characters. Let her take them on her own time.
Be prepared to ride Dumbo over and over and over.
Take naps in the afternoon. They are great not only for her but for you.
Take snacks and juice with you both on the plane and at Disney.
Take lots and lots of film. The pictures will be priceless.
Do not try to do alot of preplanning. Allow your daughter to kinda plan your day. If something comes along that is not on the schedule, it may be even better than planned.
The best advice of all:
Take it easy and enjoy yourself!! graemlins/muscles.gif

FROG0823
Welcome to Intercot! graemlins/clappy.gif

I work for an airline so my DD has been flying since she was only a few months old...I freaked when she learned how to walk thinking now she would never sit still on a plane. I went to a Dollar store and filled her suitcase with coloring books, stickers, activity books, flashcards, etc. As she got bored with one thing we would pull another thing out and since it was all new (but cheap!) it really kept her busy.

You may be surprised...maybe she'll sleep!

Have fun!
graemlins/mickey.gif

Katmegali
I would get something for her, lollipop or such, for her ears on the plane. Also maybe a small game or two to distract her.

I would definetely recommend a stroller. You can rent one in the parks but then you will have to carry her in the parking lots or around your resort. They also don't lean back if she wants to take a nap. I would suggest a lightweight folding stroller with a hold. We brought a running stroller which folded up easy for our 18 month old. They also have restraing vests, with a strap you can hold while she walks. I wished we had gotten one.

Bring snacks and juice for her to snack on. Plenty of water and sunblock. I try to get my girls to wear hats but they never do.

Also plan on taking a rest midday back to your resort. Little ones wear out. Get there early, take a break and then head out back to the parks all rested.

Character interaction may not work to well either. All my girls were a little scared of them at that age. Loved to see them from a distance but not up close. They may love them on the screen but in person they seem huge to little ones. Try a more relaxing character meal, like garden grill (in the lands at EPCOT) with Mickey, Minnie, chip and dale, and Goofy. I also heard good things of the 1900 Faire at Grand Floridian.

Going with little ones can be great. It makes you slow down and relax.you can and don't have someone with you other than dh, I would try to get babysitting one night so the two of you can enjoy a night out.

Have a Great trip!

[ July 01, 2002, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: Katmegali ]

Buddha
07-01-2002, 12:25 PM
Plane: I suggest snacks and toys. I flew with my daughter and niece who were 3 at the time. We took along books and crayons. I think it was great to take one item out at a time. First, you won't get crazy with objects all over. Second, they can stick with one thing and when it gets boring whip out the next item.
Suggestion for EARS. They make Ear Plane they are special plugs for those who have a rough time with cabin pressure.
Also, depending on how long your flight is and how much you want to blow $$ wise. There are portable DVD players that start around $275. Pop a DVD in and your golden for at least an hour.

Parks: Stroller, Sunscreen, water and food, and patience. graemlins/clappy.gif

Nana
07-01-2002, 01:11 PM
We saw something interesting on our last flight. You can rent a DVD player at several airports to use on the plane. You rent the player and a movie or two at the airport you fly out of and return it to the airport you fly into. Kinda neat idea. graemlins/muscles.gif

mrte62
07-01-2002, 06:58 PM
As a parent of four and we go coast to coast at least once a year, I agree with what has been posted to date. I would also add:

Request bulkhead seating. A little more room and no one to bump or bother in front of you.

If you are taking a long trip, consider a one stop flight. I know there are some drawbacks, but we always found when our guys were little that break during a 5 hour plus flight really made a big difference.

Request a child meal.

If feasible, board as late as possible. The less time on the plane the better the chances for a smooth trip.

GrandFlo
07-01-2002, 07:45 PM
The first time my DS was on a plane he was 2 and 1/2. I too was concerened that he would not sit still. I mentioned this to the airline agent when booking our tickets and she suggested I bring his car seat. She said that many kids were used to traveling in car seats and would not try to get out. This plus lots of travel toys/goodies worked great.

singermom4
07-03-2002, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Buddha:

Suggestion for EARS. They make Ear Plane they are special plugs for those who have a rough time with cabin pressure.
graemlins/clappy.gif Just some feedback on the earplugs - I tried them with my then 4 yo ds and he didn't like them at all - said his ears felt more plugged. You can try giving her the chewy fruit snacks and demonstrate how she should open and close her jaw while chewing.

Nana
07-05-2002, 06:41 AM
We have found sippy cups to be good for the ears also. smile.gif

Tavel
07-05-2002, 11:03 PM
Great suggestions so far. I agree about the car seat. Our DS is so used to getting and staying it in that it makes traveling a lot easier since our guy is WAY active. Ideas to pass the time -- lollypops (messy but time-consuming), lots of small pick-up finger snacks (goldfish, fruit chews, etc.), new books and small toys (start stashing those in Happy Meals), art stuff (DS loves his mini-Magna Doddle for long car trips -- about $4 at Target). A small thing of bubbles is a great distractor (although not on the plane!). DS loved the characters, which surprised me since he was not a fan of Santa just 2 months prior. Check out character meals (we did Crystal Palace and Chef Mickeys) and the character caravan at the hotel. And remember to enjoy the little things. DS was probably happier in the hotel pool than any of the parks. Just remember to slow down and HAVE FUN!!!

snicker-doodle
07-06-2002, 10:53 PM
When we went to Disneyland with our walking 14 month old, we took our stroller with us...to the airport, through the airport, to the shuttle (you get the idea). It was a lifesaver!! We're going to WDW this December...but now we have three little ones. I'm taking our stroller on this vacation, too.

The lightweight strollers are fine, but I love the extra storage room of regular strollers...diaper bag, water, etc. You can zip them along the airport... check with your airlines...but most will allow you to wheel it to the plane's entrance and will then fold it up and keep it inside the plane's front door. It's sitting there when you get off..just plop the little one in and you're off. It's a wonderful convenience! We've done this several times via Northwest Airlines and it's really slick!

Another idea for the plane ride is Color Magic (I think that's what they're called) by Crayola. The markers are clear, so they don't mark up clothes, skin, airplane walls...not that any of our children would do that ;) ...but once used on the "special" paper..the color appears. My girls love them. I've also brought along a walkman with some "listen & read" books/cassettes I checked out at the library. The other thing to remember is a sippy cup and some snacks for the parks and the plane ride.

But most of all...relax, have fun and enjoy seeing the magical reaction of your little one at Disney! graemlins/clappy.gif

DIXIEGIRL76
07-07-2002, 10:06 AM
hay guys just wanted to say thanks so much for the great tips........keep them coming.......only 53 more days to go. wooo hooooooooo

Gotta Love the TTA
07-07-2002, 02:38 PM
OK--I will be the crabby old lady and say that your best friend is:

Benadryl
Motrin
Tylenol

or whatever makes the wee one sleepy. My kids have NEVER NEVER slept on an airplane because they are soooo excited.

Better living through chemistry, I always say.

singermom4
07-08-2002, 02:58 PM
I have also used 'meds' but more for the ear pain than for getting them to sleep because they can often have the opposite effect and get them hyper! I often use a combo Tylenol and decongestant as a preventative to ear pain.

WendyLady
07-11-2002, 03:10 PM
Ok--I have to say that I did chuckle with the meds idea. Honestly, I start with decongestant about 24 hours prior (recommmencation from the Dr.)This does sometimes make them 'hyper', then again the Dr. recommended a half dose of benedryl to counter act those reactions. My son was 3 the first time he flew, and my daughter (who is 6 now) started at 5 months. We have done the car seat thing, and it does work, since they are used to just sitting in it. THe bag of stuff is a MUST. Maybe putting together a 'scrap' book of photos from travel brocures or even a WDW travel brochure will take up lots of time talking about how they thing these 'rides' work--mechanicially that is. Having them 'write' post cards from the plane to mail the first day worked for at least 3 trips for my son. Of course we had purchased the disney postcards on the previous trip. Maybe thru merchandising you can purchase some and do that. I am not sure of the phone number, but any hotel's guest service could help.

Hope some of these ideas are useful! There are a bunch in this thread!

Have a great time! 50 days is closer than you think! graemlins/mickey.gif

WendyLady

Toughbug
07-11-2002, 03:59 PM
The tips you got so far are great!

Now I suggest that you gate check your stroller. We flew the first time we went as a family, me, DW, DS then 3 and DD then 1&1/2. It was easy to keep track of DD when she was in the stroller and that left two of us to watch the mobile 3 year old so he could not wander off. DD was safely strapped into her stroller. We gate checked it right before we boarded the plane, and let them know at check in we were doing this, and the stroller was ready when we departed the plane. And it was easier to walk one, stroll one and carry bags and luggage through a busy airport that walking two of them.