PDA

View Full Version : Mini-Golf Worth Visiting?

Imagineer Wanna Be
06-17-2002, 09:06 PM
Planning a return trip in July for a 4 day get-a-way. I've heard there are miniature golf courses somewhere around Disney World and I'm just curious if anyone has played them and are they worth visiting (in other words, are they very nice, so so, or bland). Also, I was wondering if anyone knew if that massive arcade still exists in the Contemporary (it's been ages since I went in there).

Katzateer
06-17-2002, 09:32 PM
We played at all three courses and had a lot of fun in April. I think our favorite course was the summerland at Blizzard Beach but they are all fun and the kids enjoyed the different scenes. We went early when the courses first opened so it wouldn't be too hot or crowded. Then took a break, ate lunch, went shopping and went to another one the same day. (If you go to another Disney mini golf the same day and show your receipt from the first course, they will give you a 50% discount.)

I have also been to a Pirates Cove outside of Disney and that was fun. I think there is one near the Old Town area.

Jared
06-17-2002, 10:06 PM
Yes, the giant arcade in the Contemporary is still going strong. graemlins/mickey.gif

Jeff
06-17-2002, 10:19 PM
My DD - age 11 - is an avid mini-golfer (too bad there is no career future there)so we have played the 3 WDW courses. Winterland and Summerland are together at Blizard Beach. Fantasia Gardens is across the road from the Dolphin resort. DD says Summerland is her favorite. It is very well themed and fun to play. Definately worth a visit.

TwoTinyWings
06-17-2002, 11:51 PM
Here's another big graemlins/thumbsup.gif for Winter-Summerland Mini Golf! We'd tried Fantasia Gardens last year and thought that the Gardens course was fun, if getting a little worn, but the Greens course was EVIL!!! Seriously, do not try this course unless you have some magically large quantity of patience and ability to accept 8 or 9 strokes as a good score on any one hole. graemlins/shakehead.gif However, this last trip we tried Winter-Summerland and LOVED it. Seriously, the theming is great, the music awesome (60's surfer music and Christmas tunes), and the holes nice and easy -- but not boring. Everyone around us at the course seemed to be having a ball too, so it seems like a great option for "kids" of any age. ;)

PeterPan
06-18-2002, 12:43 AM
Hope this doesn't sound to snippy, but gosh, why would you even hesitate? Why not go and see what Disney Imagineers would to if they were turned loose on a miniature golf course? Especially if you are indeed interested in becoming an Imagineer...

Frankly (and I know I am a dyed-in-the-wool Disney FAN from the get-go) there is nothing I care to "skip" in all of WDW. I want to see, experience, visit, and enjoy every single square inch of the place! I even want to visit the Casting Building and Team Disney, and all the places regular guests aren't invited.

If Disney did it, I think it is most assuredly worth at LEAST a peek.

Pongo
06-18-2002, 08:46 AM
I am a huge Fantasia fan so we had to fit Fantasia Gardens into our schedule. We had a wonderful time! It's great to see our favorite characters up close. You get to golf around the crocodolies, hippos, ostriches, Sorcerer Mickey, Yensid, etc. We went in the afternoon and it was completely empty. I'm told it can get quite crowded at night.

We took a bus from DD to the Swan and then just walked across the street. Getting back we simply walked to the Beach Club for a quick stop at Beaches and Cream and then headed into Epcot.

TwoTinyWings
06-18-2002, 10:43 AM
Ooh, there is one thing I forgot to mention -- as Lori said, it can get VERY crowded at the mini-golf courses at night. Even if you're determined to keep relaxed about the golfing, you're bound to feel a little impatient at having to wait 5 minutes (or more) to play each hole as the course gets backed-up. (I don't mean to sound so irritable, but it can get a little frustrating!) If you can work it with your schedule, you might want to try go during the day, or in the early evening, maybe after an early dinner, or before a late dinner. Just a thought! smile.gif

Leslie629
06-24-2002, 06:07 PM
We played minigolf at both Fantasia Gardens and WinterSummerland (or is it SummerWinterland) last November.

Loved Fantasia! It was fun to play and the course is easy to maneuver around

WinterSummerland was a dump! I was so disappointed after going to Fantasia. The artificial turf was peeling up and smelled like sewage, there was wet pinestraw caked everywhere, 4 of the holes were covered over in plastic garbage bags. I told the cast member who was there that we thought it could use a cleaning and she said she would tell the guys who did that.

Needless to say I will only go to Fantasia for my future mini-golf needs.