PDA

View Full Version : Just found out something interesting regarding airline prices

LottaLubes
06-12-2002, 10:31 AM
Maybe this is a well known fact but I just stumbled upon this while checking airline prices for the Thanksgiving timeframe on the Delta website.

I went to check the price and forgot to change the number of passengers from 1 to 5. The price came back at $298 round trip. That surpised me because when I checked the other day, the prices were near $400. So, I went back and changed the number of people to 5 and sure enough, the price jumped up to $369 round trip.

So, then I became curious and here is what I found for the breakup of numbers:

1 person - $298 RT
2 people - $313 RT
3+ people - $369 RT

So, maybe instead of booking once for 5 people, one would be better off to book one person at a time.

I checked the seating chart and there were plenty of seats available.

Hmmm. Just thought someone else might find this interesting. Maybe it could save someone a few bucks somewhere along the line.

EmisDisneyMom
06-12-2002, 01:39 PM
That is VERY interesting information. I am gettng ready to book a trip for December (5 people) and will have to look into that. THANKS!!! graemlins/notworthy.gif

Tiggerdog
06-12-2002, 04:45 PM
Hmmmm...I just tried this on United for our vacation dates.

1 person = $469
2 People = $529.50
3 or more people = $661

That is a difference of $100/person if you have a family of three or more.

I smell a skunk. graemlins/shakehead.gif

Roland
06-12-2002, 10:56 PM
I don't know what city you will leave from, but Delta has $167 RT from Providence to Orlando fare right now. I just had checked for myself tonight.

Example: depart 9/7 and return 9/15

Hope this helps

[ June 12, 2002, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: Roland ]

MNNHFLTX
06-13-2002, 12:03 PM
I have also noticed this in the past--in fact, on one trip a couple of years ago I did split up the booking into two (I had to book my son with me or my husband). Fortunately this doesn't hold true with advertised specials.

Thanks for posting this information, Lottalubes. Maybe it can help someone else save some $$$. graemlins/thumbsup.gif

ParkHopper
06-14-2002, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the warning, this does seem awfully strange. graemlins/crazy.gif

MKPlutoGuy
06-15-2002, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the info LottaLubes! smile.gif I'll check this out for our dates in February. graemlins/idea.gif

Jennib
06-16-2002, 11:34 PM
Hi-since I am in the travel business I will try and explain how this happens:

The airlines will have 100 seats (just for example) on a flight. This is how they will break it down:

10 seats are First Class-high fare/no restrictions
10 seats are coach class-full fare say $500 per person-no restrictions such as non refundable
then they will have 20 seats at $400
another 20 seats at $300
another 20 seats at $200
and another 20 seats at $100.

Once the 20 seats at the $100 level sell out, then the price becomes $200 and then when they sell out it becomes $300. So there will be times when there are only 4 seats left in the $100 range and if you put in that you need 5 seats then it will give you a $200 per ticket price. And so on. I know it is confusing ((try doing it all day..haha :D ) But this sound answer your question. If you get a high price you should always try a lower amount of people. Then at least you can get some at the lower price and then only a couple more at the higher price!
Hope this helps explain it!
Have fun!

TiggerRPh
06-17-2002, 11:22 AM
What also may be the case is that there are only usually a few seats of each price class available. There may have only been a couple of seats available at that price.