PDA

View Full Version : PolyGirl40’s Escape From New York; The 2002 Sequel -- Day Ten & Summary

imported_PolyGirl40
03-02-2002, 01:43 PM
PolyGirl40’s Escape From New York; The 2002 Sequel -- Day Ten
Monday; February 18, 2002

Cast of Characters
Carol -- PolyGirl40 -- Disney Vacation Commander in Chief
Tony -- Dear Husband & Dad -- Advisor on Fiscal Affairs.
Jeremy -- #1 Son (15)
Shayne -- #2 Son (7)

Good-bye Polynesian , Hello Omar, Final Thoughts and Overall Trip Summary.

This was it. Time to say good-bye to our little piece of paradise. :( I had scheduled a 6 a.m. wake-up call. Needless to say; I was wide awake and showered by the time the phone rang. Our pattern for our departure day has always been a breakfast at the Kona Cafe. I canceled our PS for this morning. We found the Concierge Lounge extremely convenient for breakfast and wanted to enjoy the view one more time.

We gathered up all of our belongings and called bell service to retrieve our luggage. They arrived promptly. We strolled down the hall to have our last Polynesian meal. It was bittersweet. I missed my fur-babies back home in New York. However - who is ever ready to get that sudden dose of reality?

After a long walk around the beach and many Thank-yous to the staff we headed for the Great Ceremonial House by 8 o’clock. To our surprise Ibex was already there. It was Omar himself. He thanked us several times for the repeat service. We loaded up the van and left. :( How dreadful is it to go under that last purple sign? Everyone was very quiet.

Our plane trip back to New York was uneventful. We arrived 10 minutes late due to high winds. We had checked 6 bags at MCO. Tony quickly gathered up 4 of them. We waited and waited and waited. The conveyor belt finally shut off. We of course assumed they were loading more bags. However, my gut feeling was not pleasant - as we were the only people still waiting. An attendant came out to check on us. Two of our bags were missing. He went to the computer and punched in our claim numbers. Nope - Nowhere to be found. He gave us a phone number to call. He assumed they missed the plane and would be put on the next flight leaving Orlando.

I cannot understand how this happens. We were over 2 hours early checking in. Four of our bags arrived with us. Major Ugh moment. We called that evening upon arriving home. One bag turned up in the system. It was on a flight to Boston. The Boston bag ended up in Newark and then to JFK in New York. It was put on a flight to Hartford, Ct. two days later. Bag number two; never left Orlando. It was finally put on a flight back to Hartford and met up with Bag number one. Our detoured luggage was delivered to us by courier the following afternoon. Some 48 hours later. graemlins/crazy.gif We were thrilled to get our belongings and grateful the little side trip did not happen on the way down. So ends our vacation.

Trip Highlights;

Food!

Dinner:
We have nothing but praise for the Disney restaurants. Everything/one was amazing.

Our best overall meal was; Le Cellier. I think it was the melding of perfection by our entire table. Jeremy loved the pretzel bread. Tony could not get over how fantastic the shrimp cocktail was. I found the mushroom risotto to be out of this world. Shayne still talks about the Smores’. All of this in combination with the service and atmosphere made for an excellent experience. We will be back there with bells on. It’s hard for me to rank any one place. All were spectacular for various reasons. However - for me the California Grill will stick out above all else because of the sunset.

Lunch:
San Angel -- Teppanyani and 50’s Prime Time Cafe rank the highest above all.

Breakfast:
Crystal Palace remains our favorite for a buffet. We loved the food at Boma - but the character interaction at the Crystal Palace is priceless. Kona Cafe continues to be our choice for a sit down meal. Their coffee and bacon are still the BEST. graemlins/tasty.gif Plus - Tony swears the Tonga Toast is Heaven sent.

Lodging
Animal Kingdom Lodge:
We enjoyed our stay. I agree with all visitors that give praise to the Savannah rooms. The entire ambiance is lost if you do not have a view of the animals from your balcony. The bathroom situation was a minor negative. For other guests it may not be a factor. My family gets ready in the morning at different times. Therefore the separation of the sink and tub area was not practical for us. I also found the rooms to be very small for Deluxe standards.

My opinion of the Lodges have not changed. They seem like hotels to me. I prefer having guests scattered about. I found the public areas to be extremely hectic. Chaotic at times. I’m glad we stayed but will not split my resort time again. I like to unpack and get settled upon arriving. Though our transfer went smoothly - I did not like the packing and unpacking aspect of it. (I knew I wouldn’t) Also - if you are used to the transportation options received at a monorail resort - you will miss them sorely. A bus only resort is not a positive thing. I must add that the buses serving the Animal Kingdom Lodge were very efficient. We never had longs waits.

Polynesian Resort:
What can I say that I haven’t already said? We still love it. Our vacations at the Polynesian only get better. We are so familiar with the surroundings. It’s comforting to feel so at home. The concierge was fantastic. I was totally spoiled by the Lounge. It will be hard pressed not to stay in the Hawaii building again.

Various Ramblings:
Many have asked; “Has Disney Lost The Magic”. I can adamantly say; No. Magic is there for the taking. I had the pleasure of meeting so many first timers. We talked of the splendor known as Magic. Where else can you eat lunch in Mexico and dinner in Canada? Having all of your daily troubles be washed away? Savor moments with your family that will never occur again? Watch the glimmer in the eyes of your children as the characters interact with them? See and feel the excitement generating from the many attractions shared? Trust me - the Magic is there.

General Observations:
Put your child’s name in the front of their Autograph books and Passports. The CM’s and characters usually always look for it. Therefore they can write personally to your child. It’s a nice touch to open the book and see “To Shayne, From your Pal Mickey Mouse.”

Take the time to see everything offered at the 100 Years of Magic Celebration. The parades are fantastic and enjoyable. My one disappointment is not getting back to see the new parade added to the Animal Kingdom Park.

Save enough time to *Meet*. I regret not being able to touch base with Rob and Jeanne. Our schedule was either to rigid or not firm enough. Of course back tracking around the World did not help.

Take the time for the World Showcase. The entertainment is wonderful and not to be missed.
Who Wants to be a Millionaire is addicting. graemlins/laughing.gif
Cinderella’s Royal Table is not just for little girls.
Check all pockets before sending your husband to do laundry.
Do not miss One Man’s Dream.
Cab Fare may vary. graemlins/doubleeek.gif
Frunch is the best juice.
The British Invasion are even cool when you’re 15. :cool:
magical moments pins can withstand the washer & dryer.
Cousin Mark and Geppeto rock!
Save room for dessert! They are a must when fine dining.
Coffee & Dessert = Perfect
If you have the time - Sea World is a great way to spend a day.
Make Priority Seating arrangements. You can always cancel if your plans change.

Spending Summary:
Let me just preface this by saying; We save diligently for our yearly vacation. We certainly could go much cheaper. However - we choose not to. We have very little family time for fun. Our businesses do not afford us that luxury. My husband always figures a splendid vacation to WDW costs $1,000 per day with everything included. We came in under budget from last year and stayed 3 days longer. We took advantage of “Value Season” pricing - as well as booking everything ourselves.

Total Spending for Nine Days; 3 Adults - One Child:

Resort Cost = $2,187.00
Plane Fare: Nonstop/Round trip from Connecticut = $858.00
Additional Transportation Costs = $165.00
Passes for WDW & Sea World = $1,374.74
Restaurant Meals = $1,670.40
Miscellaneous = 1,177.22 Includes snacks, arcade, souvenirs and tips.

Total Vacation = $7,431.36

Thanks for taking the time to read my trip reports. I hope they were able to answer questions or help when making restaurant and park decisions. As you can see/read - We had an awesome time.

graemlins/mickey.gif

[ March 02, 2002, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: PolyGirl40 ]

ChipDale
03-02-2002, 02:17 PM
Carol, I'm so glad that your whole family had such a wonderful time. Your reports were fantastic and I'm sure they'll be a perfect guide to Intercotees for a long time to come. smile.gif

Thank you for taking the time to share your vast knowledge with us! graemlins/thumbsup.gif

graemlins/notworthy.gif graemlins/notworthy.gif graemlins/notworthy.gif graemlins/notworthy.gif graemlins/notworthy.gif graemlins/notworthy.gif

Narcoossee'sFan
03-02-2002, 02:23 PM
I am SO glad you were able to have a wonderful trip. I really appreciate the time you took to type in all of your thoughts and feelings.
Thank you, Carol! graemlins/mickey.gif

LottaLubes
03-02-2002, 02:26 PM
So, Carol this is it...how sad. I know I've probably said it a hundred times already but thank you for your trip reports...I've really enjoyed them and have picked up many tips for my next trip. I have new inspiration for my next trip...WWCD (What Would Carol Do). graemlins/laughing.gif

I was hoping you would have met up with Anastasia in passing (GreatBigBeautifulTomorrow) but I guess that didn't happen...hey, come to think of it, she hasn't reported in since she returned. Maybe she decided *not* to come back!

Have you set a date for your next trip? One can never plan too early!

Thanks again. Diane

P.S. For what it's worth, I think Delta should have flew you and your family back down to FL to retrieve your own bags...then YOU could have conveniently been lost for a couple days! graemlins/mickey.gif

DisneyWizard
03-02-2002, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the wonderful reports, Carol. I'm glad you had such a great time! Take another trip soon so we can read them when you return! graemlins/thumbsup.gif graemlins/mickey.gif

iwannagotodisneyworld
03-02-2002, 03:07 PM
Hi Carol,

I just have to THANK YOU SO MUCH for your trip reports! I read every one with relish! I know it takes a lot of time and effort to put together a trip report, including note taking while in the World. You've done a wonderful job including all kinds of tips and especially food reviews! Yum! graemlins/tasty.gif The last time we went to WDW (November, 2000) I was scouring these boards day and night for information and it helped make our trip fantastic! This time... how lucky am I? ... you've given me a ton of stuff to consider and we leave in 19 days! graemlins/muscles.gif When we returned from the last trip, I tried doing trip reports and I quit because of what I felt was a 'lack of appreciation' for my hard work. I realize now that's not the case, I'm sure someone was getting something useful. graemlins/blush.gif So this time, I'm not giving up. You've inspired me to post everything when we get back.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. You rock!

graemlins/clappy.gif graemlins/notworthy.gif graemlins/clappy.gif graemlins/notworthy.gif graemlins/clappy.gif

Disdude
03-02-2002, 03:16 PM
All I can say is Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Like most, I eagerly anticipated the next. I almost didn't want to read this one becuase it would mean it's over. I have to say that Disney should kick a little money towards you for advertising. Since reading your first report, I have booked out trip for June. It's been three years since I've been and I can't wait to go. I took my now wife and step-daughter there three years ago and while they had fun, they weren't easily hooked. After reading your reports and relaying them to wife, I think that is changing a little. I am bound and determined to bring them over to the light side with me and make them true Disney-aholics like me. Following some of your trip will do just that I believe.

Anyway, I'm glad you had a great trip and thanks again for sharing your memories.

EvaBryan
03-02-2002, 04:24 PM
Thanks again for the wonderful summary. These reports were a joy to read and I am sorry to see them end. :(

I know Jeremy is off to college soon, but I am anxiously awaiting your next trip so we have another opportunity to read some more great reports.

Thanks for all of the information and evaluation. Sounds like you had a marvelous time.

Eva graemlins/mickey.gif

Noah's Helper
03-02-2002, 04:37 PM
Carol,

Thanks again for the great reports! graemlins/thumbsup.gif I've enjoyed reading them all.

graemlins/mickey.gif graemlins/mickey.gif graemlins/mickey.gif graemlins/mickey.gif

Dopeysfriend
03-02-2002, 04:40 PM
Carol, THANK YOU so much again for sharing your trip with us and letting us be right there with you. graemlins/mickey.gif Your use of detail paints a vivid picture. I'm so sad that this is your final report! You're going to have to go back soon! ;)

TiggerRPh
03-02-2002, 04:58 PM
Carol, thanks for the wonderful reports.

You vacation like we do...we save up all year for our trip, spend a lot when we go, but we have fun!

graemlins/mickey.gif

rellabelle
03-02-2002, 05:34 PM
graemlins/crying.gif What????? No more? This was like reading a good book you just don't want to end!

I'm happy you had such a wonderful trip smile.gif

I REALLY enjoyed reading your trip report, it was GREAT and like I mentioned in another post, you could be a spokesperson for DW.

Thanks Again!
graemlins/mickey.gif

hatecoldweather
03-02-2002, 09:07 PM
I waited for the final day to write but I wanted to tell you I really enjoyed hearing of your family trip. Did I miss where you post your photos? I would love to see them and make the connection now that I know your family. Thanks again.

leesa
03-02-2002, 09:37 PM
Carol, I have enjoyed reading your trip reports each day! I will miss them now that they are over. You are a wonderful writer and with each report I found myself wanting to be in the World more than ever before (I was just there 3 weeks ago myself!) Thanks for sharing with us all!

Leesa graemlins/mickey.gif

OHIcOaster
03-02-2002, 09:39 PM
As others have said, INCREDIBLE TRs! As hatecoldweather said, I was waiting for the final day to write. Although I'm a newbie on Intercot, I've been apart of theme park boards for years. I've never read any TRs as good as yours anywhere. An excellent combination of information, personal experiences, and fun.

They truly helped me with possible money matters and eating choices. The eating choices! I felt like I was eating with you! Your explanations were so descriptive. Thank you for posting your TRs as they have made by trip planning much easier. I'm SO glad I have chosen the Poly to be my first Disney resort!

MKPlutoGuy
03-02-2002, 10:13 PM
Trying to plan a Disney World Vacation and not knowing where to start... Overwhelming

Sending an email to Disney, only to get "please check our website for the information you requested"... Frustrating

Reading just one of Carol's trip reports... Priceless :D

Carol, thank you so much for sharing your vacation with us! You've answered many of my questions, and given me new knowledge. Thank You. smile.gif

Claytonia
03-02-2002, 11:35 PM
Wow, Carol! I really can't think of any more glowing compliments that haven't already been given to you, but I would like for you to know that your trip reports were an absolute joy to read. What an incredible trip you had! Thank you so much for sharing it with all of us!! graemlins/notworthy.gif graemlins/notworthy.gif graemlins/notworthy.gif

Dizneyana
03-03-2002, 01:51 AM
Thanks Carol.... graemlins/thumbsup.gif

For someone who hasn't been able to make the trip in awhile, reading your reports is almost as good as being there..... graemlins/notworthy.gif

Glad to see that my question asked at the end of day 1 (did you get your lost luggage back?) got answered here.... Especially since your copious notes were in there!! <whew>

Next trip?? ;)

TooGoofy
03-03-2002, 08:43 AM
Carol, thank you!
I felt like you had packed me in your suitcase and taken me with you!
graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Jared
03-03-2002, 09:36 AM
Thank you so much Carol for taking the time to report to us on your entire trip! These fabulous reports will surely be a guide for INTERCOTEES to planning a WDW trip for a long time to come.

I've said it a thousand times, but these were some of the best reports I've ever read, and I can't believe that they're over! :(

Carol, thank you again, and welcome home! :D

ElenitaB
03-03-2002, 10:48 AM
Carol, thanks for the great reports! graemlins/thumbsup.gif

As you well know, the only cure for the "last day blues" is to set a date for your next trip! ... So when are you going again? ;)

Disneypro
03-03-2002, 11:09 AM
Wow Carol!!! I just got through reading through all of your trip reports and it sounds like you had a great time :D other than the luggage mess-up graemlins/shakehead.gif . Reading your report made me a bit jealous though...we still have 3 months to wait :(
Oh BTW... graemlins/muscles.gif Welcome Home!!!!! graemlins/muscles.gif

OrlandoDisney
03-03-2002, 11:17 AM
Well i am just curious...how long are you going to stay in WDW.....lol

I hope your having a good trip!

LottaLubes
03-03-2002, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by hatecoldweather:
I waited for the final day to write but I wanted to tell you I really enjoyed hearing of your family trip. Did I miss where you post your photos? I would love to see them and make the connection now that I know your family. Thanks again.If you click on PolyGirl40's profile ICON, you'll find a link within that will hook you up with some great pictures!

AbbyabbyAbby
03-03-2002, 05:25 PM
GREAT trip reports graemlins/thumbsup.gif I enjoyed reading them!! Thanks so much for sharing!
I also enjoyed your pictures....they're great!! May I ask what kind of camera you used?? Actually, that's a question from my husband...he's recently gotten into photography. He wanted me to ask what kind of camera and what kind of film.

Thanks again for the great trip reports...... graemlins/mike.gif

imported_PolyGirl40
03-03-2002, 06:03 PM
Thank you everyone. Your comments are greatly appreciated. It’s nice to see/hear so many responses. smile.gif

My next trip will not be until next year. I’m really going to try and arrange a trip around Christmas. It has always been my desire to see everything available for the holidays. I’m not quite sure if my schedule will allow - but that is the plan. smile.gif

AbbyabbyAbby -- No film. I have a digital camera. An Olympus D490 Zoom. My husband bought it for me last year for Christmas. I love it. smile.gif

AbbyabbyAbby
03-03-2002, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the response...I thought it was a digital, but he said it couldn't be the pictures were too good. I can't wait to tell him I was right!! :D Thanks! graemlins/mike.gif

Sammie
03-03-2002, 08:27 PM
you mentioned you did not like the sink setup at AKL because it was outside the bath. Are not some of the rooms at the Polyesian the same way? Seems it was the newer buildings.

imported_PolyGirl40
03-04-2002, 07:40 AM
Sammie - The sinks are in the same room as the tub and toilet at the Polynesian. The only difference between the new and original buildings - are the sink totals. There are two sinks in the newer longhouses. smile.gif

WDWdriver
03-04-2002, 01:01 PM
Just finished reading your reports, Carol. Nice job! graemlins/thumbsup.gif You are a great writer and included tons of good information. Glad you had such a good vacation. Hurry back!

Aurora
03-04-2002, 06:00 PM
I'm rarely able to get on the boards much anymore, but I'm so glad I was able to read your report -- it was wonderful!! Now I have to go back and read about the other nine days!!

By the way, have you started petitioning Disney for DVC at the Poly yet? :D

Copper
03-05-2002, 03:56 PM
Great Trip Report and Great Photos. Thanks for sharing with all of us. I'll definitly be sure to take some of your suggestions along with us on our trip in May!

Glad to hear you had such a great time with your family. That is "Disney Magic".

Dawn
03-06-2002, 07:22 AM
No more Carol reports. graemlins/crying.gif graemlins/crying.gif

And your photos made me go all behind schedule at work :mad: ;)

Thanks graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Martino
03-07-2002, 10:59 AM
Thanks, Carol for reliving the memories. Each one of your reports has been so highly descriptive and informative, and I have enjoyed reading them immensely. graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Disneywarrior
03-07-2002, 11:28 AM
Carol, It is always a pleasure to read your trip reports. It provides me a "little" escape from reality and gets me excited for my trip this June. I will be lighting another WDW "fire" this June with my new baby boy. He will be five months old in June and I can't wait to share the magic with him. I can't wait to carry him down Main St. for the first time as I did Peyton. Again, thanks for the little dose of magic that you provided through your trip report.

Buzz Fanatic
03-07-2002, 12:21 PM
Wow, thanks for sharing your trip with us, it sounds wonderful, and now you have lots of happy memories! graemlins/clappy.gif graemlins/clappy.gif

I was sorry to see all your updates end, they were fun to read :(

harlowandthemermaid
03-07-2002, 11:56 PM
Carol, your reports were so great, you really know how to put that magic in your reports! Thanks for sharing graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Young-at-Heart
03-13-2002, 12:08 AM
This is my first time posting here and HOW FUN it has been to read the story of your 2002 DW vacation! I've not moved and I very well may need a shoe horn to aid in removing me from this chair! I've not stopped drooling (am competing with my teething 9 month old). THANK YOU for really putting me in the spirit. I am now more anxious than ever to embark on my own little adventure.

We are also flying out of Hartford, CT this coming Sunday. Staying one mile outside of Disney at the Sheraton Vistana Resort. I took my daughter to Disney last Spring too, but it was an exhausting trip. She was 20 months old and I was 7 months pregnant, journeying without my husband and with my disabled friend. Of course my daughter doesn't remember last years magic, so we are all looking forward to her reaction.

Has the Lion King show already closed? My daughter really enjoyed that last year and that was BEFORE she'd even seen the movie. Now she's obsessed with the movie. Dang!

Again, thanks for sharing all the details!

Young-at-Heart
03-13-2002, 12:22 AM
Oh, I almost forgot to mention that we experienced the same luggage problem last year. A couple pieces ended up in NC and 3 days later we finally were able to obtain them. Unfortunately one of the pieces was full of our souvenirs and in all the shuffling, a couple things broke.

Tammy smile.gif

imported_PolyGirl40
03-13-2002, 08:05 AM
Welcome graemlins/party.gif

I’m thrilled you posted for the first time in my thread. Thank you so much for the kind words.

Originally posted by Young-at-Heart:
Has the Lion King show already closed? Yes it has. Sorry - Have you seen the Lion King Show at Animal Kingdom? It's wonderful.

Young-at-Heart
03-13-2002, 10:08 AM
Good morning smile.gif

No, I have never been to the Animal Kingdom! Our trip was brief last year :( . I will have to check it out!

Tammy

FROG0823
03-26-2002, 11:59 AM
HELP!! :eek: I can't access your pics...am I doing something wrong? I am clicking on the homepage link in your profile but it is coming up that it can't find the page...am I looking in the wrong spot...I'm dying to see them!

Thank you, thank you, thank you...you transported me to WDW along with you. And, you brought tears to my eyes as I imagined that wonderful sunset over SSL and the GF...magical. I am like you..the Poly is near and dear to my heart. I am going "home" again this November and can not wait.

Aloha to you and your family! graemlins/mickey.gif

imported_PolyGirl40
03-26-2002, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by FROG0823:
HELP!! :eek: I can't access your pics...am I doing something wrong? That is the link. I just tried it and the page opened fine.

I took pictures of the sunset. If it doesn't work/open let me know.

smile.gif

[ March 26, 2002, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: PolyGirl40 ]

FROG0823
03-26-2002, 01:10 PM
I bet it has something to do with my firewall here at work....I'll try again when I get home tonight...can't wait to see them! Thanks!

imported_PolyGirl40
05-14-2002, 03:28 PM
*Bumping up as per requested.* --- Done redface.gif

Jeff
05-15-2002, 11:16 PM
Carol, I have loved reading all of your reports. You are an incredible source of valuable information. Thanks for taking the time to post your trip! graemlins/thumbsup.gif