PDA

View Full Version : PolyGirl40’s Escape From New York; The 2002 Sequel -- Day Two

imported_PolyGirl40
02-21-2002, 02:18 PM
PolyGirl40’s Escape From New York; The 2002 Sequel -- Day Two
Sunday; February 10, 2002

Cast of Characters
Carol -- PolyGirl40 -- Disney Vacation Commander in Chief
Tony -- Dear Husband & Dad -- Advisor on Fiscal Affairs.
Jeremy -- #1 Son (15)
Shayne -- #2 Son (7)

Boma Breakfast, Are You Bob?, Still No Cowboys and Grapefruit Cake

Ugh! What a fitful night. I woke every hour on the hour. The beds and pillows were absolutely fine. It was just me. I got up twice to check the Savannah. At 2:30 a.m. I could see a silhouette of the zebra. I was amazed to find them mobile in the moonlight. I finally gave in to the non sleep Gods at 5:30 and showered. This is when I became aware of how inconvenient the bathroom setup was.

I could only shower. If I tried to utilize the sink area, it would require lights. Without a door I’d disturb my guys. It is also my normal practice to do my ironing in the morning. The Polynesian bathrooms are very large. I can set up the ironing board in there and do my ironing unbeknownst to the sleeping party. Oh well. I’d have to amuse myself while the others slept. It gets light later in Florida than in New York. The animals were still sleeping. I decided to trek down to Mara and purchase our refillable mugs and get some much needed coffee. Grrrrrr! The place does not open until 6:30. I’m used to Captain Cook’s 24 hour service. I never thought to check the operating hours. I woke up Tony to start the morning routine and returned to Mara for coffee at 6:30. If anyone saw a wet-headed guest without makeup strolling through the Lobby - it was me. graemlins/blush.gif When I returned all sleeping members were awake. Yippee! I could use electricity. I did the ironing, dried my hair, makeup etc.

In the meantime; We watched the animals from our room. A feeding truck was making the rounds. It was so funny to see the animals actually follow the truck. There was a feeding bucket in a tree right outside of our room for the giraffe. I was ecstatic. I really love watching those graceful animals. I was disappointed the evening before - because they were not around. They were here this morning! We observed the animals for quite a long while - until it was time to make our way downstairs for another meal at Boma.

Wow! What a difference a day makes. The place was very quiet at 8:00. Nothing like the evening previously. We were quickly seated. Our waitress was wonderful. She brought us coffee and frunch. Yumcity! What a wonderful fruit blend of juice. We had several glasses during our meal. The guys seemed much more excited about the choices offered for breakfast. Everything was recognizable. I did ask about one of the casserole dishes. It was called Boboti. It was prepared in a skillet - combining eggs, cream, hash, red onions and potatoes. Mouth-party! Waaaaaaaaay yummy. graemlins/tasty.gif The cereal, danish, fruit and meat stations also carried a bounty of food. Jeremy loved the hot cereal fixing bar. While Shayne savored every morsel of fruit and yogurt. Tony made his way around every area. I give Boma’s breakfast buffet 10 thumbs up! graemlins/thumbsup.gif

After filling our tummies we headed to the bus stop - with a quick detour at the gift shop for a Magical Moments pin.. We did not wait very long at all. Within 10 minutes we were on our way to MGM Studios. Anyone that knows me - is aware of the fact that we always start our vacations at MGM and an evening of Fantasmic!. It is our favorite park. This trip would be no different.

The skies looked threatening and it was very humid. My hair does not coincide very well with Florida. Thank goodness I’m a stranger in the crowds. graemlins/silly.gif Our main mission today was to see the shows. This ended up being a great plan in the long run. Upon entering the park we figured we’d check the wait time for Rock n’ Roller Coaster. It was only 20 minutes. Since this is Jeremy’s favorite attraction we opted to wait it out. What better way to start our first park day?

Shayne was not tall enough last year. When he went to the Doctor last month I had his height checked again. I did not want him to be disappointed. Ugh! He was 47-¾”. Just ¼” shy to meet the requirements. He was intent on growing in a month. But - he was prepared if he did not make it. We all crossed our fingers and got in line. As soon as we get to the entrance he is checked. Talk about a turtle neck. This little guy had it stretched up as far as it could go. The attendant removed his hat - pressed his body back toward the marker - flattened his hair. He just made it! 48 inches! The kid was beside himself. Then fear set in. Does it go fast? Will I fall out of the harness? A million questions during the wait. He was checked twice more before boarding. When we got inside he was able to see a launch. He really was desperate to say; “I did it”. On we go.

He survived. He was scared and decided once was enough. It was a good scare and fun! We looked at our picture and exited through the shop. We purchased a T-shirt for Shayne and had it sent back to our room. He really wanted to go on the Tower of Terror next. He loved it last March. Unfortunately there was not enough time. ;) We had to zoom over to catch the Beauty and the Beast Show. We all enjoyed the performance immensely. The sky did not look very nice at all. It was beginning to rain ever so slightly. We popped in to do the Great Movie Ride. I really, really love this attraction! I’ve yet to ever get nabbed by a Cowboy. We thought we’d go against our normal grain and proceeded into the right lane and entry doors. It made no difference. We still got nabbed by a Gangster. Just where do you people find these Cowboys?

Now it was time to feed Jeremy’s Star Wars obsession. We walked right onto Star Tours. It was drizzling when we came out but we wanted to see the Indiana Jones Stunt Show. My teenager is an avid fan of anything to do with Star Wars, Indiana Jones, James Bond and the Simpsons. We enjoyed the show as much as ever. I know many feel it should be changed. However - it is still great entertainment. While inside it started to pour. They did not do the final scene with the airplane - because of the rain. Ugh! Oh well. We still had fun. How about that guy in the pink shirt?

graemlins/laughing.gif

[ February 21, 2002, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: PolyGirl40 ]

imported_PolyGirl40
02-21-2002, 02:20 PM
One show I have never seen is Hunchback. The time frames never made it possible. The rain and drizzle made for a perfect day to see the shows and stay dry. In between rain drops we ran over to Millionaire, Play It for fast passes. We were all excited to final see the show. It was not open yet when we vacationed in March. We grabbed the passes and headed toward the Hunchback show. Shayne found Woody and Buzz outside of Al’s Toy Barn. What a fun duo. Poor Woody kept sulking. Buzz was much more popular. We had some laughs.

Along the way we ran into Kida, Clopin, White Rabbit and Robin Hood. Shayne waited for autographs for each of them. When he approached Kida she asked him if his name was Bob. He giggled and said, “No”. But she recognized him and remembered his name was Bob and kept insisting it was. He really started laughing. (He had a guest of honor badge with his name on it.) What fun. She even signed his book, “To my friend, Bob”. graemlins/silly.gif Kida was excellent!

We quickly proceeded to the Hunchback Show and loved it. Boy, did the rain gates open up while we were in there. I did find some of the guests to be rather rude. When it got to be within parade time they started filing out. The show was not even over. graemlins/nono.gif We decided to not stand in line for the parade. We had pretty much avoided getting wet and did not want to press our luck. Shayne wanted to see the Muppet show before heading to Millionaire. We did just that.

How fun is that Millionaire attraction, huh? graemlins/clappy.gif We had a blast. Everyone enjoyed it! We would certainly be back for a repeat performance. I wanted to tour “One Man’s Dream”. However it was time for our Fantasmic Dinner Package at the Brown Derby. We have never eaten there before. I was very anxious to try it. Whenever we’ve vacationed in the past there were never any dinner packages left for our first night - as they book quickly and you have to wait until you check-in to book. The Polynesian concierge staff was able to make arrangements for us - 7 days in advance. Yay!

What a wonderful restaurant. We only waited about 10 minutes for our pager to go off. We were all hungry. We did not eat lunch and our Boma breakfast had long worn off. We were seated at an excellent table in the back of the restaurant. Very low traffic area. Our wait staff was wonderful. Tony ordered the baked onion soup for an appetizer. While Jeremy dined on the lump crab cake and I had the individual cobb salad. I must say it was the best salad I’ve ever eaten. I ate it ever so slowly to make it last as long as possible. Bread was brought to the table as well as our drinks. Tony and I had ice tea. The boys ordered shakes. For entrees; Tony had the Sesame Seared Yellow fin Tuna. It was served with a cucumber salad. I decided on the Rotisserie Half Chicken. Yum! The chicken was nice and juicy. Not the least bit dry. Along with the chicken I had a spinach and bacon salad with roasted sweet potatoes in a maple whiskey glaze. Talk about delicious. The kids ordered their entrees from the children's menu. Jer had the macaroni and cheese and Shayne ordered a hot dog.

The portions were just right. Everyone but Jeremy had enough room for dessert. Tony decided on the white chocolate cheesecake. Shayne had the Hollywood Junior. It is very much like a Dairy Queen Blizzard. Vanilla Ice cream blended with chocolate and peanut butter candies. It was quite large and filling. Shayne ended up sharing it with Jer. I ordered the grapefruit cake. I have read numerous responses from Janie on the boards about this cake. Oh my goodness. It was all that and then some! I wish I could have a piece right now. A dessert perfection! That tart versus sweet combination was a taste bud Heaven. We hated to leave. The dinner was perfect from start to finish. However - we needed to make our way to the Fantasmic! theater.

I was nervous the rain would start up. The sky looked so gloomy. What an eerie view we had of the Tower of Terror as we walked to our seats. The dark, cloudy sky in the backdrop was daunting. We were seated in the Sebastian section. The wait was only 20 minutes. The amphitheater filled to capacity and the show began promptly at 7:00 p.m. We did feel a few sprinkles but that was it. The show was as great as ever and remains my all time favorite night time entertainment. Shayne’s magical moments pin went crazy during the show. Great fun and lots of smiles.

We joined the sea of people exiting MGM and proceeded to our bus stop. Whoa! Did they ever cram the Animal Kingdom Lodge bus full that night. We had to stand for the journey back to the resort. We were all pretty tired. We never forge the masses the entire day. This was a first. We are big hoppers. But - the desire was not there when staying at a bus only resort. It was not feasible to head back midday. It would be way too time consuming. Needless to say; I really missed the monorail.

We headed to Mara for refills. Shayne wanted to swim. Tony took him to the pool for an hour and a half. Returning to the room by 9:30. It was a great MGM day. We did a lot and managed to stay out of the little bit it rained. We called our parents and slipped into bed. We have a very early morning coming up - with the Princesses.

Today’s Spending;
Boma Breakfast: 3 Adults, 1 Child $65 w/tip
Zawadi Marketplace: Magical Moments Pin $15.99
Tatoonie Traders: Star Wars Key Chain $6.36
Rock n’ Roller Coaster Gift Shop: $25.44
Snack Stand: Water - $5 -- Ice Cream - $11.00
Hollywood Brown Derby Dinner: $110 w/tip
Day Two Total: $236.29

Next Up; Day Three -- Princess Breakfast, Share a Dream and the British Invasion.

[ February 22, 2002, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: PolyGirl40 ]

NLODisney
02-21-2002, 02:46 PM
Great reports keep them coming. I am enjoying your trip and love your restaurant descriptions and am hoping to try the Boma breakfast buffet when we go to WDW in April.

rdraughn
02-21-2002, 03:15 PM
Great Reports! MGM is a great park on days that the weather doesn't cooperate. I think Millionaire is my new favorite attraction.

EvaBryan
02-21-2002, 04:14 PM
Great report again Carol.

I know EXACTLY what you mean about trying to balance the show times at MGM. On our last trip we tried to see as many shows as we could and for-go rides. We have yet to see The Little Mermaid.

After reading your reports I have to have some grapefruit cake. Sounds delish! graemlins/tasty.gif

Keep writing! Keep writing!

TooGoofy
02-21-2002, 05:34 PM
Another super report, Carol. Sounds like a great start to your vacation! Reading your reports is helping to fill the "Disney void" I am feeling right now. Keep 'em coming!
Meg

Narcoossee'sFan
02-21-2002, 05:43 PM
Thanks for another great report. I wondered if you wished you had a car to drive "home" while waiting to reach the AKL. We have found it easier to drive to MGM because the parking lot is smaller than other parks, making it easier to walk to the car. We also have lots of baby stuff to carry and when you are left standing on a full bus with a toddler, backpack, and stroller...well, you get the idea. :wink: My in-laws took the tram to the car once and we actually beat them on foot because the tram made so many stops before it reached our parking section. I am glad you had another great day. I might have to try that grapefruit cake. graemlins/tasty.gif

MKPlutoGuy
02-21-2002, 06:34 PM
Sounds awesome Carol! Those magical moments pins are expensive! Was it 15.99 for just one! Wow...anyway can't wait to hear all about MK tomorrow! smile.gif

MauiMouse
02-21-2002, 09:26 PM
Sounds like Boma was the right place for breakfast. We ate there at night as well and it was the same, very noisy and busy with people. I would have liked to try the breakfast buffet as well. I enjoy your trip reports, keep them coming. Thanks for sharing. graemlins/clappy.gif

ChipDale
02-21-2002, 09:47 PM
graemlins/notworthy.gif Fantastic report again, Carol! graemlins/notworthy.gif

I have heard so many wonderful reviews of the Boma breakfast - that's a must for us on our next trip. I do the early morning ironing & getting ready thing too - luckily my husband can sleep through anything! :D Oh yeah, my hair doesn't cooperate with Florida weather either. :rolleyes:

I'm so glad you tried the Grapefruit Cake! graemlins/clappy.gif That and the Cobb Salad are worth the trip to MGM alone! graemlins/thumbsup.gif

You get the Cowboy on the Great Movie Ride if you're in the first car. Usually the right side loads into the first car, but if they need to fill the other one, they'll take from both the right and left lines.

Thanks again for another wonderful report - I'm anxious to read more! smile.gif

TiggerRPh
02-22-2002, 12:47 AM
Another wonderful report Carol...sounds like you're having a great time.

Can't wait for the next installment.

graemlins/mickey.gif

WDWFanatic
02-22-2002, 09:59 AM
Carol, Your reports are the best! I can't wait to read more. Do we really have to wait a WHOLE day between reports?!?

imported_PolyGirl40
02-22-2002, 10:06 AM
Valerie,
We do not mind utilizing Disney transportation. In fact - I think it adds to the charm. We’ve had some of our best conversations with fellow travelers on the buses. Plus we like the perk of being dropped off at the gates. Not to mention - my husband loves not having to drive whie on vacation. graemlins/thumbsup.gif

My desire to park hop was not as evident when solely relying on buses only. However, it came back very quickly once we were back on the monorail loop. graemlins/silly.gif

Originally posted by WDWFanatic:
Carol, Your reports are the best! I can't wait to read more. Do we really have to wait a WHOLE day between reports?!?Kelly,
I'm trying girl. graemlins/laughing.gif
I've got all I can do to get one out each day. I'm not even unpacked. graemlins/silly.gif

LottaLubes
02-22-2002, 10:53 AM
Um, excuse me, Carol? I hate to disturb you as I know you are working on Day 3, and we are all waiting anxiously. Just wanted to let you know that I really enjoyed days 1 and 2. You sure have a way of having us all relive your vacation (sorry there are so many of us in the bathroom with you! graemlins/laughing.gif ) Anyway, I was wondering what the temps were when you were down there. You mentioned a bit of rain, did you have any rainy days? OK, get back to writing and let us know when you upload your pictures!

Edit: I just read another post where you mentioned you uploaded your pictures - they came out GREAT! You should consider being a photographer!

[ February 22, 2002, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: LottaLubes ]

Dawn
02-22-2002, 11:18 AM
Mmmmmm, grapefruit cake. graemlins/tasty.gif Right there with you remembering the taste. ;)

harlowandthemermaid
02-23-2002, 07:39 PM
YUM, grapefruit cake! graemlins/tasty.gif Sounds like a wonderful day despite the rain..but it sure is easy to miss the monorail when you are used to it ;)

Jennib
02-23-2002, 11:37 PM
Thanks Craol for another great and detailed report! You made me very hungry after reading about all the great food you had!!

Jared
02-24-2002, 10:59 AM
Once again Carol, a wonderful report. I also always start my trips at the Studios. Moving on to the next day! :D

Dopeysfriend
02-24-2002, 04:33 PM
graemlins/notworthy.gif Another excellent report, Carol! graemlins/muscles.gif

Is anyone else getting hungry reading these? graemlins/tasty.gif graemlins/blush.gif

Glad you enjoyed Brown Derby so much...it's one of my all time favorites! I can't wait to read Day 3! graemlins/mickey.gif

Disneywarrior
02-25-2002, 11:19 AM
Another great report, Carol! My mouth is watering for the grapefruit cake. On to the MK!

Martino
02-28-2002, 09:46 AM
Carol, this makes great reading - zooming up to part 3 ;)

MnDloveDisney
02-28-2002, 07:48 PM
Your descriptions of the food is so vivid, you're making my mouth water! smile.gif The grapefruit cake sounds yummy, and I don't really even like grapefruit!!!

Oh, and I know what you mean about the humidity thing. Anything over 50% humidity and I have to wonder, why bother? It's ponytails for me in Florida (and many days here in PA too!)

Going on to Day 3 graemlins/muscles.gif

Dizneyana
03-01-2002, 06:16 PM
Hungry?? Yes... graemlins/tasty.gif

I think that people would have been hard pressed to get me out of the room if I could look at the animals all the time..... :cool:

Shhh.. don't tell Jimmy.. I want him to think that I loathe my animal duties... Truth is, I would take all the duties if I could!! ;)

Thanks Carol.. On to day three!! :D

Sammie
03-03-2002, 08:13 PM
the sunrise in Florida during your stay was only 8 mins. later than New York. Wow, you must have a definite sense of timing to be able to tell that.

I did find the AK lodge to be so dark I was not sure what time the sun came up.

imported_PolyGirl40
05-14-2002, 03:00 PM
*Bumping up as per requested.* :cool: