PDA

View Full Version : PolyGirl40’s Escape From New York; The 2002 Sequel -- Day Six

imported_PolyGirl40
02-26-2002, 03:34 PM
PolyGirl40’s Escape From New York; The 2002 Sequel -- Day Six
Thursday; February 14, 2002

Cast of Characters
Carol -- PolyGirl40 -- Disney Vacation Commander in Chief
Tony -- Dear Husband & Dad -- Advisor on Fiscal Affairs.
Jeremy -- #1 Son (15)
Shayne -- #2 Son (7)

It Cost How Much? Shamu and Flying Fish

Brrrrrrrr! What a chilly morning. Eeek. It apparently rained during the night and the temperatures dropped considerably. We had a non Disney Park day planned and knew we’d be outside for the majority of it. We dressed in sweatshirts and shorts - Knowing that as soon as the sun made an appearance the day would be much warmer. Yippee - We’re going to Sea World. graemlins/muscles.gif

We decided to eat breakfast at the Kona Cafe. Yum! I knew our options were limited within Sea World and figured we’d start our morning with a nice filling breakfast. We’ve eaten at the Kona countless times. This occasion did not disappoint. Tony and Jeremy both had the Tonga Toast. I ordered eggs and bacon. While Shayne chose the pancakes from the children’s menu. Everything was served promptly. A delicious way to start our morning.

I made no previous plans for transportation. The margin was too vast for cancellations. I’ve learned over the years - plans change too much while on vacation. Needless to say; things would have gone accordingly. So - off we proceeded to find a cab. Unbeknownst to us there are cabs waiting constantly in front of the resort. graemlins/laughing.gif We’ve never utilized taxi service before - so we were oblivious to that tidbit of knowledge. One wave of a hand by bell service and we were off to Sea World.

Now I must tell you my research slipped a bit here. I had read numerous posts in reference to cab fare. One including prices to Sea World. What I did not investigate was the prices from various points. Uh oh. I watched the meter go waaaaaaaay past $15. This was my estimated cost for Tony. Ooops. A short trip up the road and $40 to the cabby and we had arrived.

Aside note here; Cabs are able to use the same entrance as buses. This placing us in very close proximity to the front entrance. It was 9 o’ clock. The park was open. We quickly perched ourselves in line for tickets. Major, major disappointment. While waiting in line I saw the poster announcing that Terrors of the Deep is closed. Big time bummer. This is one of my favorite sections of Sea World. Jeremy was also bummed. He was not overly excited about visiting “the fish place” to begin with. Terrors of the Deep was one of a few draws for him. I later found out that "Shark’s Underwater Grill" is in the process of construction. You’ll be able to dine while observing Terrors of the Deep. Cool, huh? "Dine with Shamu" is also in the works. Both are slated for completion during the Summer 0f 2002.

I quickly reminded myself of all the other offerings and adjusted to this loss. I grabbed a map and devised a game plan. A big pointer here for anyone planning on making a side trip to Sea World. It all revolves around the shows. The park is 50% shows. They are all wonderful. Try not to miss a single one. It takes great planning and a lot of back tracking to accomplish this task. There are items of interest scattered around each stadium to fill the voids in between the show times. Some are hard to juggle. It is necessary to arrive at the various shows at least 30 minutes ahead of schedule. Often an hour during the busier times of year.

I will not bore everyone with details - as this is a non Disney park. However, I will say we had a fantastic time. Jeremy even laughed out loud during the Clyde and Semore Take Pirate Island Show. Do not miss this show. It is hilarious! Shayne fed the dolphins and stingrays. We visited with polar bears, whales, manatee, penguins, and lots of seals. Due to a breakdown in the Wild Arctic ride - while in line, we missed the Water Ski show. We could have waited but it would have been hours. It was much too cold to take a journey on Atlantis. We did watch the last drop and it looked very fun. You get soaked. Not a good idea when it is only in the upper 50’s. There was NO way we’d even consider going on Krakken. graemlins/nono.gif Also - there are some fantastic photo opportunities throughout the park. We purchased several photos.

I am a great lover of marine life. This is one of the best places to fill that love. I highly recommend Sea World if you have the same obsession. If anyone has specific questions pertaining to the park, please feel free to e-mail me or post a question within this thread.

We exited at 4 o’clock. The boys were tired and we had evening dinner plans. The cab station is right outside of the exiting area. A quick trip to the curb and we were once again on our way. However - with a bit more knowledge we requested to get off at Downtown Disney Marketplace. This required a $12 cab fare as opposed to $40. I felt like an idiot. But - lesson learned. Sorry, Tony.

redface.gif

[ February 26, 2002, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: PolyGirl40 ]

imported_PolyGirl40
02-26-2002, 03:36 PM
We zoomed into the World of Disney and Disney’s Days of Christmas for some souvenirs. There was no way I was leaving Florida without one of the embroidered 100 Years of Magic Sweatshirts. I knew exactly what I wanted. Within 30 minutes we boarded a bus for the Polynesian. It was after 6 and we had dinner PS’ at the Flying Fish for 7:15. We changed for dinner and headed back out. Our feet were beat. Sea World requires a lot of walking. We figured we’d just hop on the resort monorail at the Great Ceremonial House and transfer to a bus for the Boardwalk at the Magic Kingdom.

I was a bit anxious. The Boardwalk bound bus stops many, many times and our PS window was getting very near. The Flying Fish was booked solid for Valentine’s Day. I was thankful to be able to get in at all. Ugh! We arrived with no time to spare. Luckily everything was fine. We retrieved our pager and went out on the Boardwalk to sight see. The atmosphere is very nice. Although - sometimes too busy for my taste. We watched some of the live entertainment, until it was time to be seated.

What can I say? Another fantastic meal. We were starving. The gang did have snacks at Sea World but our breakfast was looooooong gone. I ordered the peeky toe crab cakes. Jeremy and Tony both had the chowder - as Shayne munched on bread. The restaurant was extremely busy. It took quite a while for our meal to arrive. This was not a hindrance. We watched the chefs at the bar area and relaxed. For an entree I selected the oak grilled pork chop. Oh my! Was it ever tender. Probably one of the best pork chops I’ve ever eaten. It was served with onion bread pudding and apple pecan chutney. I cannot even begin to tell you how scrumptious it was. Tony chose the New York strip steak. It came with potatoes and green beans.

Jeremy ordered the sirloin steak from the children’s menu. It was served with fries. He ate every last bit and deemed it delicious. Shayne had the Mickey pasta. We all enjoyed our feast and did not feel like dessert. We were just so tired from a long day of walking without breaks. Plus it was approaching 9 p.m.. I figured the easiest way back to our resort would be a bus to Epcot and transfer to the monorail. Epcot closes at 9 so if that was our plan we’d have to scurry.

After a quick detour into the candy shop adjoining the Flying Fish we walked to the bus stop. It was deserted. :eek: Not a body in sight. A “Special” bus pulls up. The driver asked us where we were going. We told him our destination was the Polynesian but realized we’d have to make a connection somewhere. He told us to climb aboard. Jeremy was snickering. He was thrilled. He said; "I told you we were Special”. graemlins/silly.gif The driver took us directly to the Polynesian. We had the entire bus to ourselves. How cool was that? A little eerie - yet cool.

We stopped into the Lounge for some coffee and dessert and took it back to our room. Our beds were turned down as usual - but this time the chocolate candies were heart-shaped for Valentine's Day. :D Nice touch.

Shayne had purchased many Sea World stickers to put into his sticker book. He is also obsessed with pressed pennies. That is one tally I did not keep track of. I’m sure it was a hefty amount by trip's end. Anyway he wanted to put his new purchases in the appropriate books.- Upon organizing his stuff I asked him where his Epcot passport was. He could not remember. Now - I’m a very neat person. It was not lying around the room. Suddenly - he pipes up. “I remember -- it is in the pocket of my shorts -- the ones I wore that day.”

Well folks - you remember Tony did laundry on Wednesday? Guess what. He never looked in the pockets. We found Shayne’s passport all crumbled and destroyed. Certainly not salvageable. :( His little faced dropped and he started to cry. He had worked so hard getting that stamped. Tony felt terrible. Needless to say; tomorrow's plans have change.

Today’s Spending;
Kona Cafe Breakfast: $45 w/tip
Cab Fare: $55
Sea World Passes: 3 Adults - 1 Child $202.26
Sea World Souvenirs: $40.42
Sea World Specialty Pictures: $63.49
Sea World Snacks: $15.25
World of Disney: 75.60
Christmas Shoppe:$10.60
Flying Fish Dinner: $110 w/tip
Candy Store $8
Day Six Total; $625.62

Next Up; Day Seven -- Napkin Twirling, Lot’s more of the World and Look at that Meatball.

[ February 26, 2002, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: PolyGirl40 ]

KylesMom
02-26-2002, 03:55 PM
Carol, another GREAT trip report!

I just found out yesterday that "Terrors" will be closed when we go in May. Not only was I upset, but my DH looked like your son did when his Passport was washed! Sounds like it was still worth the trip. You've given me hope for our upcoming Shamu visit! Can't wait for your next report - dare I hope it will include graemlins/thumbsup.gif Chef Mickey's?! graemlins/tasty.gif

Jared
02-26-2002, 04:24 PM
Another fabulous report Carol! Thanks for sharing some of your outside Disney experiences with us.
I'm awaiting the next day on the edge of my seat. :D

ChipDale
02-26-2002, 04:30 PM
Poor Shayne with his Passport. :( I guess we know where you'll be heading tomorrow. ;) Sounds like a fun day (and tiring!). Glad you enjoyed your Valentine's dinner and got a special ride home! smile.gif

Thanks for another great report Carol! graemlins/mickey.gif

wdwfan
02-26-2002, 04:37 PM
Great trip report, I have enjoyed the reading. I have to say that Flying Fish is one of my favorite restraurants. We went there for our anniversary and they gave us each a glass of champaign (at no charge) to celebrate. :D

lovewalt
02-26-2002, 04:45 PM
oooooooooohhhhhh noooooooo poor Shayne :eek: :( :eek: !!!!!!
Your trip reports are great,but my heart is breaking for your boy. Can't wait to read the next installment in hopes of happiness for him. But being a trip to WDW I'm sure his smile must return graemlins/mickey.gif

LottaLubes
02-26-2002, 05:24 PM
Your report brought back the memories of all the walking we did in Sea World...our feet were killing us. I'm so sorry to hear about the passport. That must have been a heartbreaker...

Thanks again for the report. I'm a little embarrassed though...I think we spent a LOT more time in the conceirge lounge than you guys did, eating those oatmeal cookies. Then again, maybe that's why I'm in the diet club and you are not!
:D

debby
02-26-2002, 05:41 PM
Hi Carol great trip reports. Thanks for posting them and the prices of things, it really will help me plan our trip. My problem being canadian is to take your price for things and multiply each one by $1.60 and that is what my cost is. Yuck.

Can you tell me what is on the front of those 100 years sweatshirt,Id like to bring back something special. I have a favorite t shirt that I purchased from the poly 6 years ago (last time we were in disney)it is so thin now ready to be recycled to the rag bin, but I don't have the heart to throw out the lovely parrots on the front. Oh well.

Deb.

LittleLady
02-26-2002, 05:42 PM
Carol,
Your reports are so entertaining. I love the way you detail each meal
since Disney Dining is my favorite sport! ;) Poor Shane, I almost cried when I read
that portion of your report. I bet you bought him a new passport and bring him
back around the WS again! I can't wait to read day seven! graemlins/mike.gif

MauiMouse
02-26-2002, 06:53 PM
Another excellent trip report I truly enjoy reading about your trip and glad that you had a nice time at Sea World but, I can't wait to read about Day Seven. I am sure that graemlins/mickey.gif Shayne will prevail won't he?

Jillpie
02-26-2002, 07:19 PM
OH NO!!! There is a huge reason why WE do that laundry, right? Poor Tony, he tried. This was great feedback on Sea World, something I am really looking forward to. Now do you think this Terrors thing will be closed in April as well? and should we try Kraaken or what? :eek: Its funny, Omar charges 50.00 for a roundtrip to here, so it basically equaled out to his service. I still am thinking the cab is the way to go now. Question, for a first timer, should we just wing it for these shows or should there be a plan? I wonder if I should have a brochure sent to my home first and make a plan? What do you think?

MKPlutoGuy
02-26-2002, 07:21 PM
Bravo yet again Carol! Poor Shayne, he must have been hearbroken! :( Sometimes that happens to my money :rolleyes: Well, at least the most of the day was enjoyable-lots of walking, but enjoyable. smile.gif Can't wait for Day 7! :D

Narcoossee'sFan
02-26-2002, 07:43 PM
Thanks for another great report, Carol! smile.gif
I am glad you were still able to have a good time at Sea World in spite of the closures and cool weather. I had a similar experience with the bus stop at Boardwalk, although we weren't the only ones on the bus that time. smile.gif We were staying at Port Orleans and got a ride all the way "home".

EvaBryan
02-26-2002, 09:11 PM
Sorry to hear about your little guy's loss. At least he gets to have fun collecting signatures again! I would give anything to take a nice trip around the World Showcase.

Glad to hear you liked Sea World. We are going in May (my first time!) and I can't wait to ride Atlantis. I am hoping it will be more than 50 degrees when we go. ;)

Waiting for another report! Come on! Get writing!!!

Dopeysfriend
02-26-2002, 11:09 PM
graemlins/crying.gif Poor Shayne! Sounds like a trip around the world is in order. ;)

Thanks for another wonderful report, Carol! Can't wait to read Day Seven! graemlins/mickey.gif

Jennib
02-27-2002, 12:25 AM
Oh I am so sorry to hear about your son's passport. I know that can be a disaster...

G
02-27-2002, 06:38 AM
Carol. I could not sleep tonight so I have been up reading your trip reports. They are great. You do a very good job with the details, I felt like I was there. I can not wait to read the rest. I hope your little guy got his passport redone........G

TooGoofy
02-27-2002, 06:40 PM
Sounds like you guys had a fantastic vacation! I was sorry to hear about Shayne's passport (I'm 38 and I wanted to get one.) My feet were aching in sympathy for you. At least you did not lose your car in the parking lot like we did! graemlins/blush.gif

harlowandthemermaid
02-27-2002, 09:24 PM
Glad you had a great time at Sea World, I love Sea World too! Sorry you missed Journey into Atlantis, it's such a cool ride! The shows are great though! And what a great place for Valentine's dinner! The Flying Fish is so good and not just the fish! Thanks for another great report!

imported_PolyGirl40
02-28-2002, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by debby:
Can you tell me what is on the front of those 100 years sweatshirt, Id like to bring back something special. Here is a picture of the logo. http://www.intercot.com/features/100years/images/100logo.jpg

The sweatshirts cost $50 each. I did not find it to be a bad price - as they are embroidered and a very good quality shirt. The logo is available on everything imaginable, including T-shirts. I simply adore the “Ears to 2002” logo and purchased several items with that on it too. That logo has the 4 main Disney characters jumping up and down basking in raining Mickey ears. Very cute. But - I wanted something special for the “100 years of Magic”. Hence the sweatshirt. smile.gif

Originally posted by Jillpie:
There is a huge reason why WE do that laundry, right? Now do you think this Terrors thing will be closed in April as well? and should we try Kraaken or what? :eek: should we just wing it for these shows or should there be a plan? I wonder if I should have a brochure sent to my home first and make a plan? What do you think?My husband never does the laundry. He even washed Shayne’s Magical Moments pin that day. graemlins/doubleeek.gif Unbelievably enough - it made it through and worked thereafter.

Terrors of the Deep is closed until Summer. There is plenty of other things to do. I missed it immensely though. Walking in those cylinders with Sharks swimming totally around you is awesome.

Krakken is a floor-less roller coaster and has a height restriction of 54”. It is totally outside and has inversions and corkscrews. It’s suppose to be the largest in Orlando. We had fun watching the other people screaming. Not for this chick! No way. I’d love to talk to someone that has gone on it though. Maybe you and Eva can report back? graemlins/silly.gif

I would go with a plan. It makes things so much easier. You can get easily frazzled trying to make an itinerary on the spot. I’m an overly organized person. I get anxious if I feel rushed our missing out on something due to a lack of preparation. The shows are a must see. Especially since it is your first time. Make an agenda around the show times and you should not have a problem.

smile.gif

[ February 28, 2002, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: PolyGirl40 ]

Martino
02-28-2002, 10:58 AM
Carol, these reports are just amazing!

I can imagine how upset shayne might have been! On our trip last year, I left my DS Disney Ticket in the fastpass machine at the Jungle cruise, and didn't realise until we got back the hotel room that night. He was dreadfully upset to think that he could not go back into Disney for the trip, but the rest of us could. After contacting Disney, they told me the ticket had been handed in. After a little more teasing, I told him the ticket had been found, and that we could collect it next morning. The relief on his face said it all!!!

As for Kraken, you just missed one of the best coasters in the world. I rode it 3 times non stop - it is FANTASTIC. You should try it on your next visit. graemlins/crazy.gif

Noah's Helper
02-28-2002, 08:40 PM
$40 for cab fare??? :eek: POR must be quite a bit closer to Sea World -- we paid only about $20 last fall.

But having the cab return you to DD is a great idea!

MnDloveDisney
02-28-2002, 10:30 PM
I love Sea World, and haven't been in quite some time. I miss Clyde and Semore, their shows were always fun AND funny! smile.gif

And thank you for posting the details of Flying Fish...I would never pick that as a place for DH and I since we don't much care for fish/seafood, and I would have thought that's all the had on the menu...silly me! We'll have to check that out next time.

Sorry to hear about Shayne's passport...I'm off to Day 7 to find out what happens!

[ February 28, 2002, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: MnDloveDisney ]

Dawn
03-01-2002, 08:45 AM
Never let men do the laundry. graemlins/nono.gif

Cool report though graemlins/thumbsup.gif

roses
03-06-2002, 08:04 AM
Sounds like you had a great day. Sorry to hear about your little one's passport!

imported_PolyGirl40
05-14-2002, 03:13 PM
*Bumping up as per requested.* :cool: