PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for taking mom

Erlesgirl
01-01-2002, 05:03 PM
I go to Disney frequently with hubby and over the years, have taken about all ages of kids but next year I'm taking my mom (young and fit 66). I've decided to take her from Dec 7 to 16 to catch all the holiday hoopla including Candlelight dinner package. Any ideas from anyone who has taken their mom at this time and what else they especially enjoyed including any special shows or dinners. Thank you and Happy New Year to all! graemlins/party.gif graemlins/mickey.gif

SteveL
01-02-2002, 08:26 AM
I would also be sure to include MVMCP in your plans. We always enjoy seeing the Christmas parade and the various holiday shows in MK during MVMCP.

spiceypj
01-02-2002, 10:18 AM
my mother has enjoyed the tours - especially the garden tour that is offered at Epcot, WDW also does a free one at the BC/YC that she enjoyed.

she also loved seeing all the resorts decorated.

She especially liked watching the tree lighting at Epcot. We saw the one at the MK too, but I think she liked the one at Epcot better. She liked the different countries christmas stories.

Karl
01-02-2002, 12:49 PM
Here I go again pushing the Hoop Dee Doo Dinner show, but I really feel it is one of the best shows at WDW.

It's a great time for everyone!

We got married at WDW in July and had our "farewell" party at the Hoop Dee Doo. We had poeple ranging in age from about 16 to late 60's early 70's. Everyone loved it, even my borther who never likes anything gave it a thumbs up.

It's nice during Christmas Time as they sing a few Christmas songs in the middle of the performance too. We went this past December and loved it yet again. It's a must see show for us whenever we go to WDW now.

My parents like 50's Prime Time Cafe as well, if you haven't gone, you should. As you can imagine 50's is the theme, and I'm everyone will look around and see something they remember from their house. If you're lucky, you might get Debbie as your cousin, she's a real hoot. She missed my proposal and forced us to re-enact it in the middle of the restaurant. It's not so bad the second time around...

Anyway, I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself, if there's anything else you want to know, you know where to ask...

KARL

Rhetoric2000
01-02-2002, 01:19 PM
My mum loves going to visit all the resorts to have a drink or a meal. She enjoys seeing all the different theming and riding the different boat transportation system.
I have to add she also likes going on Splash Mountain and BTMR.
I think her favourite things are the parades and watching any character interaction

TheInventor'sDaughter
01-03-2002, 12:44 AM
My mom and I went to WDW for several days -- just the two of us. She was 50-ish at the time. I was working, but in between my duties, we hit a few things at the parks that we really enjoyed. Some of her favorite experiences:

- The character lunch at Garden Grille. We had terrific character interaction and it's a really neat experience.
- Getting our picture taken (just her and me) with Mickey Mouse. It's now a treasured photograph in her house.
- The '50s Primetime Cafe (it was a business related lunch but I dragged her along. She loved it!)
- Getting autographs from Cinderella-related characters. This was her favorite movie and I was able, at that time, to arrange for her to get autographs from all the main characters. She loved it! If your mom has some favorite characters, maybe you can scope them out or go to a character meal where they are featured.
- World Showcase.

I am sure there are a thousand other things she would have enjoyed tremendously at WDW, but we honestly didn't have the time because I was working quite a bit.

Actually, my favorite memory of that trip is getting a pizza from Spoodles (we were staying at the Boardwalk) and taking it to our room and staying up half the night chatting! It was just so much fun being away from everybody -- just us two!

Also, I gave her a couple special souvenirs from the trip. One was a sparkle ("snow") globe of the castle with the 25th anniversary stuff on it. It plays music too. She keeps it in her condo on a shelf, and she often pulls it down when my family is visiting her and dad, and she says, "remember that great trip?"

You are going to have a magical time and I envy you. :D

And you've made me determined to get back to WDW with my mom! smile.gif

Vaneta

goofgal
01-03-2002, 04:58 AM
My mother has decided that although she loves the whole Disney experience, she doesn't like to walk around the parks. As such, she goes and stays on-site, and does anything and everything but the parks! Some of her favorites are: Downtown Disney, Cape May Cafe (for dinner), walking around the various resorts, and character meals.

Even my father (who isn't much into fantasy usually) dragged Mom into the Magic Kingdom one day. Since she wasn't too happy about it, he took her to a character meal. Although Dad didn't know who Eeyore was, he was really excited that he came over and gave him a hug!

[ January 03, 2002: Message edited by: goofgal ]</p>

Erlesgirl
01-03-2002, 05:09 PM
Thanks for all the great suggestions, thats why other than actually being at WDW this is the next best place to be. The garden tour sounds great so I'll check into that idea and "a must" will be Prime Time Cafe. graemlins/mickey.gif