PDA

View Full Version : Kennedy Space Centre Question

mickeyd
11-17-2001, 03:18 AM
As part of our package, we have a day tour to the KSC. I understand there is to be a launch on Nov. 29. Is it true that the bus tours of the KSC shut down for launches?

If so, is it likely that the launch will be delayed? We will be in Orlando Nov 26th - Dec 6. We were planning to visit KSC on the 29th, but will have to go on another day to do the tour. Do you think we should go before the 29th or after, risking the possibility of the launch being pushed back?

I am confused as to what to do and any advice would br welcome.

WDW crazy
11-17-2001, 04:19 AM
Yes, they do close KSC for a few hours the day of the launch. The launch for that day is scheduled for 7:42 PM. So you might be able to go early in the day and be done before they close, but I'm not sure. As for postponing the launch, that can always happen. I have planned my trip 3 different times to try to see the shuttle launch and they have postponed it every time. So you never know. It would be wonderful if you could be in the area to see it launch. Everyone says it is awesome to see. If you haven't already found this website, it is great WWW.Nasa.gov (http://WWW.Nasa.gov) it will give you updated information on Nasa and all launches. I hope this helps.

mickeyd
11-17-2001, 09:17 AM
I know this sounds funny, but we never really wanted the see the launch. I was just concerned that we'd get out there to do the tour (we were planning a whole day) only to find it closed off for the day.

I guess seeing a launch would be special, but I don't have my hope up for it. If it happens, it's a bonus - I just want to do the tour of the centre. I hope this doesn't make me sound weird. graemlins/blush.gif

singermom4
11-17-2001, 02:45 PM
The KSC website has an e-mail address for visitor questions. I've used it and gotten a response fairly quickly.

ammie
11-18-2001, 09:59 AM
Hi! I had purchased their Shuttle Launch Viewing Package, which includes admission to the KSC and launch transportation tickets to see the launch. From the info I got with my package (when they mailed it), it says that my admission tickets are valid for the launch day, the day before or after the shuttle launch. They advise not to use my admission ticket the day OF the launch since not much will be open that day (no restricted area tours, and I think IMAX films etc..)

On the information packet I received, it says that Launch Transportation ticket holders provide both limited admission privileges to the main Visitor Complex on launch day, as well as transportation to the launch site.

The Visitor Complex is closed to the public on the day of the launch, so launch ticket holders will have the complex to themselves. And it says to arrive early, by 12 pm on launch day.

Of course, after typing this, I realize you probably don't have shuttle launch viewing tickets LOL You can call and order them. FYI, admission to the KSC for the kiddies is free, but you'd have to purchase tickets for the launch viewing for them ($13 each). Perhaps they have some tickets left? Doesn't hurt to try! Good luck!
graemlins/muscles.gif

MNNHFLTX
11-18-2001, 04:51 PM
mickeyd, hello from your sister city in Florida! (Melbourne, FL, that is!) We are just down the road from KSC.

Anyway, if you have no great desire to see a launch but do want to see KSC, then I would suggest re-arranging your schedule (perhaps go the day before, if possible). If the shuttle launch is postponed (which frequently happens) then it will be postponed for after that date. That way you would be able to do a full bus tour at KSC (which generally takes anywhere from 2-4 hours).

However, a shuttle launch at night is a spectacular thing to see. Unfortunately all the KSC on-site tickets and car passes have been distributed for 2001 so that is not an option. Even if you don't go to KSC launch day you may still want to hang around one of the off-site viewing areas and watch. I would be happy to recommend a couple of areas if you're interested. If it's not too cloudy the launch can even be seen from Orlando--the shuttle will be a bright orange light ascending into the night sky.

[ November 18, 2001: Message edited by: MNNHFL ]</p>

amickeymom
11-19-2001, 09:17 AM
MNNHFL, I would really appreciate it if you would list a few of those off site locations to watch the launch on Nov. 29th. My husband, two boys, my mom and dad will be vacationing that week. My Dad is a retired NASA Engineer. For many years he was required to be in Houston or at the Cape during launch or re-entry times. He was disappointed to discover that even he could not get passes for the launch viewing. It would thrill him if I came up with an acceptable alternative. I would really like to see a launch.....especially since he says we are going down regardless so he can eat at Dixie Crossroads. Thanks!!!!

Hogarth Hughes
11-21-2001, 09:13 PM
I was at Kennedy Space Center Nov 10th. Because of the threats they've gotten, they don't have all of the usual things open to the public anymore but the visitors center is open as well as all the stuff to see around the center. The tour bus only takes you to the Saturn 5 rocket now. It's still very impressive. Good luck!

faline
11-22-2001, 09:02 AM
Saw a shuttle launch (more years ago than I want to tell). We weren't very close but it was still an amazing site (and sound sensation). It was an early morning launch and we were camping at FW. Got up around 4:00 a.m. to drive over. We drove to Kennedy (which was a mistake) and could only get so far before we were stopped but they let us sit by the side of the road. We heard it before we ever saw it. Later, we found a beach area (I believe at Cape Canaveral) that sits across from the launch area and which would have afforded a much better view. Perhaps someone could identify this area for you better than I can!

Piglet822
11-22-2001, 09:51 AM
<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by faline:
Saw a shuttle launch (more years ago than I want to tell). We drove to Kennedy (which was a mistake) and could only get so far before we were stopped but they let us sit by the side of the road. We heard it before we ever saw it. Later, we found a beach area (I believe at Cape Canaveral) that sits across from the launch area and which would have afforded a much better view. Perhaps someone could identify this area for you better than I can!<hr></blockquote>

Port Canaveral does in fact sit directly opposite Cape Canaveral and is a good viewing area for launches. GET THERE EARLY!!!! It fills up quickly and there is construction going on at the moment for the Port itself. Another good spot to sit is on the Beeline (528) itself which is where I believe faline is talking about and is just before the exit for the North Terminal. Hope this helps you smile.gif It's also a sail day, meaning if you get ther early enough (which you definitely should) the Disney Wonder will be leaving at about 5.

[ November 22, 2001: Message edited by: Piglet822 ]</p>

amickeymom
11-22-2001, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the great info!!!!!

We leave tonight! Driving 13 hrs through the night with a 3yr old and a 12 yr old and I'm not even worried! It must be cause we're headed for the magic!!!!!!
graemlins/muscles.gif graemlins/muscles.gif graemlins/muscles.gif graemlins/muscles.gif

MNNHFLTX
11-23-2001, 03:54 PM
Hey guys, sorry for not posting those sites earlier--I have been busy working off all those extra Thanksgiving calories!! ;)

Anyway, as far as local viewing areas here is my top ten list:

SR 528 (also called the Beeline--runs east/west from Orlando to the beaches). The causeway leading to Port Canaveral is the best place. US 1 in Titusville--runs right along the Indian River Lagoon across from the launch sites. There are several areas along this road that where you can park and watch. Some home owners will allow you to park on their property for a fee. SR A1A in Cocoa Beach--probably the easiest place to watch as the parking is more plentiful and there's plenty of room at the beach. Port Canaveral itself--Jetty Park in particular (small admission fee into park). This site fills up quickly as it is a campground too. SR 520, runs east to west from Orlando to the beaches--leading out to Cocoa Beach. There are a few places, parks and parking lot areas, along this causeway where you can get an unobstructed view. It is a bit farther away than the others, but it will still look spectacular (especially at night). SR 406 east of Titusville. This is the road that leads to Playalinda Beach (part of the National Seashore). The beach itself is closed during launches but the road leading up to it is open. Sand Point Park is a good place to watch, but is very popular also, so you would have to get there early.

Alright, so that is only six areas, but it is my top six! Really, any place in northern Brevard County where you can park and have an unobstructed view of the skyline will offer good viewing. That is why this area is called the Space Coast of FL! :cool:

[ November 23, 2001: Message edited by: MNNHFL ]</p>